• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog is 18 years old today. Lets look back, then forward. (no, 56k, no)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I thought Sonic and the Secret Rings was alright.
Once you unlocked the good controls. FANTASTIC decision making there Sega

Also, Sonic Unleashed was kind of a step in the right direction, but Sega still felt the need to shoehorn in a gimmick. And I'm not kidding there was actually an interview where a guy said Sonic games need a "gimmick". Some huge Sega fan like Mama Robotnik or The Sonic Retard will remember what I'm talking about, probably. Oh, and they also said that they don't make a Sonic game that's full of the fast-paced platforming that made the original Sonics good, because it would take too much work or something. It was pretty pathetic.

grap3fruitman said:
Seriously! Is there like one board member going "What an angle!" at every meeting where they pitch shitty Sonic ideas?

Here's your fucking angle: He's a goddamned fast hedgehog that needs to save the world from some fatass doctor JUST BECAUSE. Ta-dah!

Didn't a Sega employee admit in an interview once that they literally HAVE to come up with a new gimmick for each new Sonic game?

Htown said:
I thought Sonic and the Secret Rings was alright.
Once you unlocked the good controls. FANTASTIC decision making there Sega

Also, Sonic Unleashed was kind of a step in the right direction, but Sega still felt the need to shoehorn in a gimmick. And I'm not kidding there was actually an interview where a guy said Sonic games need a "gimmick". Some huge Sega fan like Mama Robotnik or The Sonic Retard will remember what I'm talking about, probably. Oh, and they also said that they don't make a Sonic game that's full of the fast-paced platforming that made the original Sonics good, because it would take too much work or something. It was pretty pathetic.

Yeah. It was like, "woah. A big long level where you run fast and jump on platforms and stuff? that'd be like 5 miles long. no way, that's too much work."

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
G-Fex said:
Pfft I'll put a mario crossover in my fic. It'll be ultimate.

We could both write separate fanfics, and then COMBINE THE TWO UNIVERSES AFTER THAT FOR AN AWESOME CROSSOVER SLASH FANFIC EXPLOSION.

Two Sawwwnics. Fucking serious shit, man.

G-Fex

alistairw said:
We could both write separate fanfics, and then COMBINE THE TWO UNIVERSES AFTER THAT FOR AN AWESOME CROSSOVER SLASH FANFIC EXPLOSION.

Two Sawwwnics. Fucking serious shit, man.

But what if...one Sawwwnic was Pregnant? From who? Amy..tails..Knuckles?!?! :O :O :O!!!

alistairw

G-Fex said:
But what if...one Sawwwnic was Pregnant? From who? Amy..tails..Knuckles?!?! :O :O :O!!!

Dude, that's the plot, man. You just came up with the plot! This is fucking genius shit.

EmCeeGramr said:
Didn't a Sega employee admit in an interview once that they literally HAVE to come up with a new gimmick for each new Sonic game?

They didn't use to have to.

I don't know why they would feel this way. The games will sell just as long as the package contains the word 'Sonic' and has a cartoon hedgehog on the cover.

All they honestly need to do is build on the Unleashed concept.

Take away:

Werehog
Voice acting
Non robotnik-type-animated humans
The way it takes itself so seriously
Many other things

And the KEY and CRUCIAL thing they need to do is remove anyone from the team who disagrees. Seriously.

Mar

Alphahawk said:
You know I'm actually tempted to pick up Unleashed, the demo seemed pretty fun...

Don't do it. For the love of god don't do it. I thought the same thing and DID buy it. My childhood was raped all over again in front of my eyes.

It's a horrible game.

FunkyMunkey said:
All they honestly need to do is build on the Unleashed concept.

Take away:

Werehog
Voice acting
Non robotnik-type-animated humans
The way it takes itself so seriously
Many other things

And the KEY and CRUCIAL thing they need to do is remove anyone from the team who disagrees. Seriously.

Good list, I'll add:

Take away:

The photo-realistic settings
The confusing overworld map
The cliched plot-point that involves Dr. Robotnik losing control of his plan that eventually leads to a fight between 'Super Sonic'(so lame) and a huge fucking monster.

Also, add in:

* More classic game sound effects(scattered rings, the 'blooop' sound when you jump, etc)
* Sonic's ROLL. Design more of the levels to take advantage of the trademark Sonic spin.
* More slower-paced platforming areas that require careful navigation. Noooo, not like they did with the Werehog where they castrate you of all of your powers. I mean something simple. Look at the 'Marble Zone' from Sonic 1 for a good example.
* Better level music. Sonic's supposed to have up-beat tempos throughout his games. Jazzy, pop-y, snyth, R&B, Techno-inspired tunes.
* COLOR. Yes, we need more color. It's a CARTOON for crying out loud.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mr stroke said:
not only have the games gone down hill, but the box art went to hell as well

from-

2v2y69f.jpg

i realize that nostalgia plays a major part for all of that, but what part of your brain honestly believes that to be good box art?

thetrin said:
i realize that nostalgia plays a major part for all of that, but what part of your brain honestly believes that to be good box art?

Well, it's certainly more eye-catching than the 'Unleashed cover', despite the iffy art.

Rlan

thetrin said:

And that's why PAL land is king:

soniccd1.jpg

Admittedly, we went a little crazy on the Sonic 3 cover though.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
SonicMegaDrive said:
Good list, I'll add:

Take away:

The photo-realistic settings
The confusing overworld map
The cliched plot-point that involves Dr. Robotnik losing control of his plan that eventually leads to a fight between 'Super Sonic'(so lame) and a huge fucking monster.

Also, add in:

* More classic game sound effects(scattered rings, the 'blooop' sound when you jump, etc)
* Sonic's ROLL. Design more of the levels to take advantage of the trademark Sonic spin.
* More slower-paced platforming areas that require careful navigation. Noooo, not like they did with the Werehog where they castrate you of all of your powers. I mean something simple. Look at the 'Marble Zone' from Sonic 1 for a good example.
* Better level music. Sonic's supposed to have up-beat tempos throughout his games. Jazzy, pop-y, snyth, R&B, Techno-inspired tunes.
* COLOR. Yes, we need more color. It's a CARTOON for crying out loud.

...and this is where things fall apart. Take your visions, and now compare successful 2D to 3D platformers to them. Rayman didn't keep the same jump sound effect - most of the sound effects were very different, same with Mario.

You also can throw away your gameplay conventions of "slower-paced platforming" when you're now dealing with the Z-plane. How do you keep the game having enough speed to 'feel' like a Sonic game, without making him hard to control? How do you allow for more methodical exploration, without making the game feel too slow?

What kind of artistic direction do you want to go? Do you go semi-realistic, like Uncharted, or very cartoonish, like Zelda: Wind Waker?

What kind of gameplay elements do you add to make the game interesting to new players, while keeping core gameplay familiar to fans?

I would hate being put in charge of having to create a new Sonic game. It all comes down to three things: Gameplay design, level design, and artistic design. so far, no one has been able to get all three down into a cohesive experience, and it sucks, because it has marginalized a game series that I've enjoyed playing.

mr jones said:
...and this is where things fall apart. Take your visions, and now compare successful 2D to 3D platformers to them. Rayman didn't keep the same jump sound effect - most of the sound effects were very different, same with Mario.

It's quite simple.

Ignore what UBIsoft and Nintendo do with their games and do it their own way. I'm not interested in a Mario 64 clone. I want a new Sonic game.

You also can throw away your gameplay conventions of "slower-paced platforming" when you're now dealing with the Z-plane. How do you keep the game having enough speed to 'feel' like a Sonic game, without making him hard to control? How do you allow for more methodical exploration, without making the game feel too slow?

You're asking me? Keep it in quasi-2D. Problem solved.

What kind of artistic direction do you want to go? Do you go semi-realistic, like Uncharted, or very cartoonish, like Zelda: Wind Waker?

Very cartoonish.

What kind of gameplay elements do you add to make the game interesting to new players, while keeping core gameplay familiar to fans?

You don't add any. The core gameplay should remain essentially the same. Any new additions to the game should not interfere with the existing gameplay.

Branduil

They just need to massively rip-off Mario Galaxy and design a game which follows a similar philosophy about three-dimensional platforming, just with designs catered to Sonic's strengths and weaknesses.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
mr jones said:
I would hate being put in charge of having to create a new Sonic game. It all comes down to three things: Gameplay design, level design, and artistic design. so far, no one has been able to get all three down into a cohesive experience, and it sucks, because it has marginalized a game series that I've enjoyed playing.

I would love to be put in charge.

First release: Sonic 1 HD

Second release: Sonic 2 HD

Third Release: Sonic 3 HD

That's all it takes. Really it is.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
mr jones said:

a Sonic game with cell shading would be really awesome.

BTW, throw out the Z-plane. go 2.5D.

alistairw

Danthrax said:

The single best moments in Unleashed were the 2.5D bits. God, those were so good. Pity there were so few and so many fucking werehog bits. Jesus christ.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
alistairw said:
The single best moments in Unleashed were the 2.5D bits. God, those were so good. Pity there were so few and so many fucking werehog bits. Jesus christ.

haven't played Unleashed. I kinda want to rent it, though, just to see.
which version: 360 or Wii?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
so, like, what? are you saying there's three minutes of awesome platforming before an hour of unplayabl-- OHHH I get it now.

Branduil

They really just need to completely reboot the franchise. Make a new game with only Sonic, Robotnik, and the original setting. No Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, real world crap. Make it 3D with fairly linear levels and the same sense of momentum as the original 2D games. Lots of platforming and multiple paths, no lock-on or lots uncontrollable movement.

Alphahawk

Firestorm said:
Mirror's Edge is the best 3D Sonic game.

You know I never thought about it before but a Mirrors Edge clone with a bit more emphasis on action could really work wonders for the series.

Do it Sega!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
DrFunk said:
Soniiiiic Boooom
Soniiiiic Booooom
Sooooniiiiic Boooooom

*bow* *bow*
Regulus Tera said:
Must keep on moving ahead.
No time for guessing, follow my plan instead!
Slavik81 said:
Trusting in what you can't see,
take my lead, I'll set you free!
This is now about awesome Sonic songs:

City escape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6NaZrPQGfY

It doesn't matter (Sonic Adventure 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpZ9Qg761I

Open your Heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH_MCPcjxP0

Sonic Boom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC8W672mXc

... and that's kinda it. Resume topic. :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

MoogPaul

Sonic games went downhill when they actually made Sonic move really fast outside of small scripted parts. In 1 - 3, he really didn't move that much faster than Mario, just that the infinity legs made him look fast.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Danthrax said:
a Sonic game with cell shading would be really awesome.

i would love a cel shaded sonic on a 2d plane. If it had the ink look of street fighter 4, and the ink starts to blur the faster sonic got, it would look fantastic

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Am I the only one that thought Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 was awesome? Do they still do Chaos in the new games? I don't think it was in 06.

I remember SA 1 was great with the hub, the boss fights, I missed that from SA 2. No hub and the bosses were all the same over and over. They were buggy, but no where near as buggy as it got going down the line. Sonic Heroes was absolutely terrible.

Oh Sonic, you should have died on the Dreamcast.

pswii60

Sega should remember that nobody gave a shit about Sonic or his shitty friends, they just loved the fuck-awesome gameplay. Now, bring back the gameplay.

NTom64

LAUGHTREY said:
Am I the only one that thought Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 was awesome? Do they still do Chaos in the new games? I don't think it was in 06.

There are optional 2D Chao collecting missions (a bit like "Find the Lost Chao" in SA2) in Unleashed, the fairy sprites in Black Knight and in Chronicles they acted like the Djinns from Golden Sun (1 or 2? Dunno, never played either).

They really need to bring back the Chao Gardens, IMO.

pulga

Banned
Firestorm said:
Mirror's Edge is the best 3D Sonic game.

Just finished Mirror's Edge today, but I'm having trouble figuring out how Sonic fits into this mold. Could you please elaborate?

Gagaman

I like how the later years conveniently only show the worst elements, and no Sonic Rush, Mario crossovers, some of Secret Rings, day stages of Unleashed..

Still, Happy Birthday Sonic. Even if they never make another great Sonic game again, I can still enjoy the timeless, brilliant Mega Drives games that I never get bored of, and no one's gonna change my opinion on those.

Read these brilliant articles about the 16-bit Sonic games:

http://www.danielthomas.org/pop/classics/sonic.htm
http://www.danielthomas.org/pop/classics/sonic2.htm
http://www.danielthomas.org/pop/classics/soniccd.htm
http://www.danielthomas.org/pop/classics/s3k.htm

And no, Mirror's Edge is nothing like a Sonic game at all. Get that rubbish out of here.

seattle6418 said:
This with a few tweaks. Please give Sonic CD the spin move. And add levels to those games.

It would cost less and sell more than those crappy 3D Sonics games.

Any Sonic game that is not 2D should die and burn in hell. ALL OF THEM.

Sonic CD already has the spindash. In fact, it has two kinds.

Undubbed

Ya know the whole ordeal with the current sonic games reminds me about that one episode in the Simpsons where Homer asks a wish granting monkey paw for a turkey sandwich....

Top Bottom