• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony bro's - are you gonna get the Pro?

Will you answer the call?

• I will answer the call and upgrade to a Pro

Votes: 385 67.9%
  • I will reject the call and stay loyal

Votes: 182 32.1%

• Total voters

Fbh

Depends entirely on how much of an upgrade it is compared to the base Ps5, and what parts of the games it improves.

If it can provide 60fps on games that are 30 on Ps5 (like Dragons Dogma 2) and considerably improve image quality in games that struggle to run at 60fps (like Alan Wake 2, FF7 Rebirth, FFXVI, Avatar, etc) I will probably get one.
If the uprades instead focus on better graphics and/or ray tracing I'll pass.

ajanke

yatzhiv.jpg

1319e195204600bf202c3c39905f79fe.gif
This will be the deciding factor on if I get it.

Lupin25

Sure, why not?

But still, with no Sony 1st party, DS2, or GTA 6 until at least Spring 2025, it’s not as necessary day-one compared to the PS4 Pro, so I’ll probably wait a few months.

BlackTron

I don't know. On the one hand, I've been getting by on PS4 Pro holding out for PS5 Pro. On the other hand, Ghost of Tsushima is coming out on Steam. Making a hard case to part with 600 bucks

Damigos

It will ofc depend on the specs, price and the ability to improve "unpatched" games on the go (like eg the the performance modes of the last 2 Final Fantasies).
I chose yes since i bought the ps4 pro and was happy to see the differences with the normal PS4. Probably will buy the pro model again

digdug2

It will ofc depend on the specs, price and the ability to improve "unpatched" games on the go (like eg the the performance modes of the last 2 Final Fantasies).
I chose yes since i bought the ps4 pro and was happy to see the differences with the normal PS4. Probably will buy the pro model again
I'm really hoping that games such as Dragon's Dogma 2 with uncapped framerates will benefit greatly from the performance boost on the Pro.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Only if it gives a noticable performance improvement in Concord. Helldivers 2 gets pretty sloppy on difficulty levels 7 - 9 but I'm hoping that doesn't happen with Concord.

Last edited:

FrankWza

No-brainer. They should do a version with an Edge controller for $100 more than whatever price they come in at. That customer would want an Edge or already has one and wouldn't mind a second or third for $100
PS5 Pro Edge Edition

Last edited:
Honestly I'm weighing my options. My getting a PS5 Pro is going to heavily depend on these two things:

1: Does Sony prioritize more 1P AAA & AA genuine exclusives for the console with notably longer exclusivity windows (even permanent in many cases) before considering ports to platforms like PC?​
2: Does Sony prioritize a better frequency of 1P AAA & AA games including in genres they are underrepresented in 1P-wise (JRPGs, rhythm games, shmups*, fighters, platformers etc.)​
*I know shmups are SUPER niche and wouldn't expect any, but it's just there as an example​

IF Sony commit to both of those things, then I'll be picking up a PS5 Pro. If they don't, then I'll be investing in PC gaming more (including upgrading if required). Why? Because not doing (1) would basically signal they intend to keep porting all their 1P titles to PC in the same 6 months-2 years window for non-GAAS games (if not doing Day 1). And, not doing (2) would suggest they are relying on 3P to bring that variety, but almost all of that 3P (outside of Vanillaware) are doing Day 1 on platforms like Steam, which is also getting Microsoft's 1P games (and some of MS's game do interest me, despite my heavy criticism of their console brand management, which is total garbage), and in due time all of Sony's 1P games too.

If Sony were to not do these two crucial things because of "investors" and "shareholders", then I'd have to think in terms of an "investor" myself, and decide what's going to give me the most ROI on my spending dollar. And in that case, why would I split the power of my dollar between a PS5 Pro and a PC, when I can just maximize that dollar's value to the platform that would seem to get everything I'm interested in Day 1 or in short order (I don't have FOMO to the degree of many others)? And would come with other benefits like no paid online, open mod support, cheaper game prices and also being the same device I use for my productivity work?

That is just me listing some of the natural benefits of PC, but I would have zero issues buying a PS5 Pro if Sony give the value proposition. But for me, that isn't so much about the hardware and more about the software. And not even if the software will be quality (it's Sony; I know it's going to be quality), but rather if that software is a differentiation factor in availability & variety to push me into getting the platform where that software is at. Which means that, yes, exclusivity (genuine exclusivity, not "console exclusive" or short 3-6 month or 1-2 year timed exclusivity) 100% matters.

It doesn't have to be every game, but it has to be enough to where it matters. And right now there simply aren't enough genuine exclusives on PS5 be it 3P or 1P. Like, again, I know Rebirth is an exclusive currently but I also know it'll be on PC in a year at most like seems to be the case with XVI; probably less time in Rebirth's case actually. If I knew that were going to be a full exclusive for a much longer time I'd view it differently in terms of providing value to the console, but ultimately it's a 3P game and isn't inherently meant to serve that role.

But with PS losing more defacto 3P exclusives I don't see why legacy and new 1P games can't exist to take up those roles for the console and do so in a meaningful way. To date though, it's something SIE have to improve a lot on, and it's all of these things why I'm still weighing the option of getting a Pro or not.

angrod14

Sounds dumb, but the decisive factor to me will be how it looks. If it's anything like the slim was then I'm probably out.

Crayon

Sounds dumb, but the decisive factor to me will be how it looks. If it's anything like the slim was then I'm probably out.

Oh, or if it's noisy too!

Edit:
Also minor considerations:
Does it come with the rumored better battery controller
Does it have more USB ports.
Can I use the same spec for add-on ssd.

Last edited:

Aenima

No. I hate mid gen upgrades, thats one of the reasons i droped PC as my main gaming platform. Also i want to feel a bigger impact when moving from a PS5 to a PS6. The mid gen refreshes reduce some of that impact making the new console feel a lesser upgrade.

If my PS5 breaks down and i need to buy a new one, i would get a Pro, but im not selling my current PS5 to upgrade for a Pro.

Last edited:

XXL

I want to see the differences first, but I'll mostly likely buy 1 or 2 of them at launch if it's a decent upgrade.

MikeM

Even though I use my PC more I still love playing on console. I’ll buy day 1 and sell my day 1 PS5 to help cover the upgrade cost. PS5s tend to hold their value in Canada.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I pretty much have to.. I promised my son a Ps5 and since the pro is launching I'll get one and give mine to him.

Otherwise I would no get it since is shaping up to be one cheap ass low tier upgrade.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I always buy the latest shiny thing, so for sure.
Will definitely sell my PS5 and upgrade. No logic in keeping it when I get the Pro.

I don’t think there’s a need to frame the decision around Sony first party. Everything gets a glow up on the Pro, that’s the point.

I always like having the newest one, so yes.

i would be fine with an iPhone X tbh, but here I an with an iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Pretty much this. Though in my case the switch to USB-C alone made the jump from my (perfectly fine) 13 pro max worthwhile.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

StereoVsn

100% a guess here but I would likely add $100 to that price without a disk drive and that truly is a guess.
Yeah, $599 for Pro Slim and $649.99 for the Pro Disk seem reasonable. I can also easily see another $50 on top somewhere in there.

$699 for Slim Pro and $799 for Pro Disk would be pushing things considering current economic sentiment worldwide.

Top Bottom