• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CES 2016 press conference thread

Those details don't need to be announced at a press conference.

No, they don't. But why not if you have the opportunity to. I don't see how announcing it during this conference would be worse than if they just slip out a press release in a month or two.

Sakura

Just a(nother?) reminder for people who expect lots of gaming news: This is an AV/ Tech show, not centered on gaming at -all-.

The focus will probably be on imaging (photo/ video cameras, lenses...), mobile (tablets, phones), TVs (4K), Blu Ray (4K) and projectors, possibly audio as well.

Haven't they been using pictures of the PSVR in promo material for CES? I don't expect to see major game announcements but I'd be surprised if PSVR wasn't there.

Elandyll

Banned
Putting in a PS4 for an extra ~150, seems a bit too optimistic. Realistically I don't think they can even bundle PSVR and PS4. I would thing the price would be 600-700 dollars if they did and I think that would be a huge turnoff.

Yeah, I thought of putting the bundle at $599, but that probably would be off-putting and they probably wouldn't go there. So I went for the crazy road :)

Haven't they been using pictures of the PSVR in promo material for CES? I don't expect to see major game announcements but I'd be surprised if PSVR wasn't there.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see PSVR mentioned rapidly, but maybe, just maybe, they see it as a possible strategic positioning in terms of display. In that case, it would get a much bigger presentation.
It will be very interesting to see if they consider it a PS4 peripheral (mentioned), or a true platform (like Shu hinted at) that is of strategic importance (given the positioning of Samsung and HTC in that sector).

We will get a release date, but no price. Preorders will also open up after the show.
That's my prediction.

EDIT: E3 is not possible due to Q1/Q2 release.

Mawarup

Neo Member
Just wondering is there anything else note worthy from Sony during these types of events to look out for? I never actually watched these only hear snippets from other outlets of what new CES products come about.

Toki767

We will get a release date, but no price. Preorders will also open up after the show.
That's my prediction.
Retailers won't put up preorders without a price. Places like Amazon might end up charging too little guessing what the actual price is and then get screwed by their price guarantees.

Just wondering is there anything else note worthy from Sony during these types of events to look out for? I never actually watched these only hear snippets from other outlets of what new CES products come about.

Phones, TV's, basically their whole lineup.

jwk94

We got PS Now beta news last year.

My bet.

They show a black screen for 2 minutes.

On the 3rd minute,Knack fades into view.

Followed by Crash Bandicoot wearing a PSVR.

Just a(nother?) reminder for people who expect lots of gaming news: This is an AV/ Tech show, not centered on gaming at -all-.

The focus will probably be on imaging (photo/ video cameras, lenses...), mobile (tablets, phones), TVs (4K), Blu Ray (4K) and projectors, possibly audio as well.

VR is not just seen as a gaming platform tho. It is tech, and a pretty major advancement in tech if you believe in what VR could be. Yes gaming is Sony's main focus for their VR headset, but VR is covered just as much in tech outlets as it is in gaming outlets.
Read some of the pre-CES predictions, there was a pretty good amount of talk about VR.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I just want to see Kaz on stage again. That'll be enough for me

Doubt they'll be the first one to announce a price for VR. I think Oculus is hoping they will so that they can undercut them tomorrow morning, but this generation Sony has been very careful with pricing announcements and I suspect they'll let Oculus show their hand first

Law

Neo Member
No way we will get a price or date for PSVR today. It would be awesome but it would just be buried in all the VR news for the week. There is a chance I guess but I don't expect it.

It seems all the other VR manufacturers are revealing at CES, so it sort of makes sense for Sony to reveal it now as to not appear to be catching up.

I think Sony's taken the position that they're not really in competition with HTC/Valve or Oculus, primarily because they're aiming for the home console market and the others aren't. So I don't think they're worried about playing catch-up and are probably banking on people being turned off by having to buy a PC in addition to a headset.

Doubt they'll be the first one to announce a price for VR. I think Oculus is hoping they will so that they can undercut them tomorrow morning, but this generation Sony has been very careful with pricing announcements and I suspect they'll let Oculus show their hand first

How does Oculus pricing effect Sony? I think the overlap between people who want a VR headset for their PC and those who want one for the PS4 is pretty small.
I mean if you play most of your games on PC, the choice is obvious same for the PS4.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Oculus ain't undercutting shit even if they wanted to.

Xenus

Might get a Sony OLED announcement out of this if the rumors of Japan Display teaming up with LG were true

Top Bottom