• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment 2011 Fiscal Report : Deficit Over 94.7 Billion Yen

obonicus

Games or hardware? If something drastic did happen, they would just sell off their game studios to other publishers and then those same developers would still be making the games you like to play today. They would just make them for other platforms.

Probably not. A platform holder has reason to make games that widen their system's library but that themselves may not be enormous sellers. Publishers have no such motivation. Naughty Dog has an enormous budget not really commensurate with the sales of their titles, because they showcase the system, for instance.

UberTag

ITT folks learn when fiscal years start and end. One more time, the FY ends on March 31st of the following calendar year. FY 2012 will end on March 31st 2013.
Every company seems to be different in this respect.
For instance, Microsoft is kicking off FY 2013 next week.
Their FY 2012 ends on June 30th (this Saturday).

Look at MS and Nintendo's hardware this gen. It's either super dated or doomed to red ring. Only Sony can make cutting edge hardware that is of a high manufacturing standard.
Old PS2s and PS3s had problems, too. I know of only one person with a PS2 that didn't gain some hardware problem, and no people whose PS3 fat didn't get yellow lighted.

My PS2 still works to this day.
And mine doesn't. (It will read DVDs, but not CDs. It can't play PS1 games, or worse, SSX, Gradius V, and Frequency. :( )

patsu

Every company seems to be different in this respect.
For instance, Microsoft is kicking off FY 2013 next week.
Their FY 2012 ends on June 30th (this Saturday).

Yes, every company pick their own fiscal year definition. Sometimes it can be a headache when 2 companies with different fiscal year definition merge. A lot of work to reconfigure their ERP systems.

I still don't understand why SCE is reporting separately from the rest of Sony.

I suspect it is partly for accounting purposes. It is not uncommon for corporates to shift stuff around to minimize tax (or ask for more government funding). In one of the startups I know, they would always shift all the losses to US so they don't have to pay US government tax $$$.

Ryoku

My NES works to this day. This is a moot point. Sony only made bank-breaking cutting-edge hardware during this generation, even though the "weaker-console system" proved to be extremely profitable for them.

There definetly has to be other costs in this. The only product they lose money on is Vita and they certainly haven't shipped enough for this deficit. Especially since the Vita is supposed to be close to profit from day one.

I'd bet PS4

My launch model stopped reading CDs just over a year in. My OG PSX had be stuck sideways to read discs. Before 360, Sony pretty easily put out the hardware with the worst reliability and build quality.

Meanwhile my launch Saturn still works. It's like a fucking tank.

If they go the Nintendo route they are done for. A 400$ console should give us a 6x-8x jump.

A $400 console could be a 10x jump. By the time it arrives, it will have been 7 years since the last console launch.

A 10x jump, 7 years later, isn't impressive or cost prohibitive.

Or sell the entire SCE/Playstation brand and studios to some electronic giant who might want to the enter the market like Samsung/Apple/LG.

I think it would be too costly to sell at once, I think they would break up each studio and some would go independent again IMO.

Holy Wars

Banned
My NES works to this day. This is a moot point. Sony only made bank-breaking cutting-edge hardware during this generation, even though the "weaker-console system" proved to be extremely profitable for them.

PS2 wasn't weak. It was first. Same for PSX.

Sony releases good hardware. It would be a shame to see them go more than any other hardware maker.

patsu

Probably PS4 R&D. Vita's too insignificant to cause loses this big.

It doesn't have to be one item. The Qriocity debacle was pretty huge. The improved SEN should cost Sony something, plus Vita, studios, etc.

It also depends on how Kaz structured SCE's P&L (e.g., What exactly did he do to SCE when he renamed SCE to SNEP, shift the assets and then renamed SNEP back to SCE again on April 1st 2011).

It doesn't have to be one item. The Qriocity debacle was pretty huge. The improved SEN should cost Sony something, plus Vita, studios, etc.

It also depends on how Kaz structured SCE's P&L (e.g., What exactly did he do to SCE when he renamed SCE to SNEP, shift the assets and then renamed SNEP back to SCE again on April 1st 2011).
Maybe but I would rather wait for the English report before jumping to conclusions

patsu

This is bullshit. I remember Sony putting their mobile and computer electronics into a new division with SCE in 2010...

Ah, you're right. I think the restructure was around April 2010 instead of April 2011. Around April 2011 would be the Qriocity attack. After that, thai flood, fire, tsunami aftermath, etc.

Let's not pretend its been anything like the shit MS tried to pull this gen.

Eh... maybe you were lucky? PS2s were a disaster for me.

I had 4 PS2s (I still use my 4th)

I'm on my third Xbox 360.

The difference? I paid for all 4 of the PS2s. Only paid for the first Xbox 360.

Oh jesus christ, here we go again. Why does it seem like the only company to get regular posts, editorials and so on about their losses this gen, is Sony? It's on a WEEKLY basis it seems. Other companies lose money, maybe not as much as Sony lately, but it seems like everyone just has it out for them. They've made mistakes (hence why I didn't get a PS3 at launch) but they've come a long way since then..

I'm just so very tired of all these doom and gloom articles about financials. I just like to talk about good GAMES, not bad sales, especially during a time when Sony's PS3 sales dipped and their P&R had to handle a shitstorm with the hacking fiasco. They constantly had hackers and hacker collectives threatening their security. Leading up to that, their sales were growing consistently so I dunno why everyone is turning a blind eye to that and are now running around yelling DOOOOOOOOOMED from the rooftops.

Probably not. A platform holder has reason to make games that widen their system's library but that themselves may not be enormous sellers. Publishers have no such motivation. Naughty Dog has an enormous budget not really commensurate with the sales of their titles, because they showcase the system, for instance.
Naughty Dog games sell 5 million per title, how is that not enough? Try think of a better example, bud

PS2 wasn't weak. It was first. Same for PSX.

Sony releases good hardware. It would be a shame to see them go more than any other hardware maker.

Nether the PS2 or PSX were "weak", but they were both weaker than the Nintendo/Microsoft platforms of their generations.

Would be a shame to see Sony go. I doubt it happens.

Oh jesus christ, here we go again. Why does it seem like the only company to get regular posts, editorials and so on about their losses this gen, is Sony? It's on a WEEKLY basis it seems. Other companies lose money, maybe not as much as Sony lately, but it seems like everyone just has it out for them. They've made mistakes (hence why I didn't get a PS3 at launch) but they've come a long way since then..

I'm just so very tired of all these doom and gloom articles about financials. I just like to talk about good GAMES, not bad sales, especially during a time when Sony's PS3 sales dipped and their P&R had to handle a shitstorm with the hacking fiasco. They constantly had hackers and hacker collectives threatening their security. Leading up to that, their sales were growing consistently so I dunno why everyone is turning a blind eye to that and are now running around yelling DOOOOOOOOOMED from the rooftops.

There have been multiple articles in the past week about what Nintendo must fix to make a "comeback" with 3DS and WiiU.

Sony gets articles about its financials because the company isn't doing well. They are doing historically bad, even. Pretending like this has no impact on the entertainment division was a lofty goal, but now that's out the window. Kaz has a lot of work cut out for him. Something has to give at the company before it's too late.

Top Bottom