• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony engineers working on PS Vita "cost reduction" for post-2012 price cut

Eurogamer said:
Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer at Gamescom this week that the price of Vita will not drop this year. Instead, it hopes prospective buyers will find new bundles, such as the LittleBigPlanet Vita bundle announced during Sony's Gamescom press conference earlier this week, good enough value to convince them to take the plunge.
"People like cheap or free," he said. "Of course, cost reduction is one area our engineering team is working on. But we just launched the platform earlier this year. It takes time to do so.
"At a certain point in the future we would like to address the pricing issue for some of the people who are waiting. But this year we are trying to add value by creating different types of bundles. We announced we will provide LittleBigPlanet PS Vita bundle pack. That's affordable for people who are looking for a good deal."
So, no price cut this year? "No," Yoshida replied. "It's too early."
Another criticism Vita has endured is that there are not enough games available for it. Yoshida said Sony had noticed this perception, and the addition of new games and content was now its number one priority.
"The reaction to the hardware platform itself has been very strong," he said. "We are very pleased with the response we got. It's up to our expectations in terms of what we were hoping for in bringing PS Vita to the market.
"But the actual sales of PS Vita, obviously we would like to see more uptake. We see lots of feedback from consumers saying they would like to see more content, they would like to see their favourite franchises coming to the PS Vita.
"From our perspective, we were very pleased to launch with many titles. Many people said we had the strongest launch line-up for a PlayStation platform. But it's amazing how much more people want and how much content they consume.
"We designed PS Vita as a medium you can spend hours immersed into playing games. That means any amount of content can be potentially consumed pretty quickly. Also, we feel the expectations of people have changed since the launch of smartphone gaming. There is so much available in terms of variety and numbers.
"So we have to continue to work on bringing more content from big titles people are looking for in terms of franchises, to very small, snack-sized, intuitive casual games on the digital distribution side."

link

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So did anyone ask him about the memory cards disappearing from the bundles?
Or was it a mistake after all?

7threst

It's never too early when people aren't interested because of the price. See how things turned around with 3DS.

So, they won't lose their shirts on the initial inventories which are sitting around, unsold, at full cost until they've got the revision batch made for less. Whatever will change Vita's fortunes, it won't be until those units show up next year.

"From our perspective, we were very pleased to launch with many titles. Many people said we had the strongest launch line-up for a PlayStation platform. But it's amazing how much more people want and how much content they consume."

True and it is amazing. People want more content for the Vita than they expect for the main consoles for whatever reason.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It looks like a terrible (non) move, but it could convince people waiting for a price cut to stop waiting and finally get it. Maybe.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
the memory cards need price cuts. The actual system price is fair imo

edit : and give me a souls game

7threst

The difference is Nintendo knew a profit was in sight when they announced the price-drop, Sony clearly don't.

Yeah that's true. But I just don't get Sony here. They talk about "added value", as if Sony knows consumers want something they didn't know they want (the "value"). While it's pretty clear that yeah, new content is great, but what's even better is a lower price that is competing with 3DS. Games most likely will come when the customers are there. Draw 'em in with a lower price. But Sony probably can't afford a drastic price cut at the moment.

The same way the Sony engineers made the PS3 price cut possible (cutting BC, Other OS).

If you want a Vita, better get the Complete Edition now.

untill then they should just bundle a memory card. Even a 4 gig one. Its a big barrier for some people I think. The price of the system itself is reasonable but when people see they have to pay more to actually play 90% of even the retail games thats prob a put off.

Still more content for my Vita always sounds good. Hope the ps mobile section will bring both games and apps.

But Sony probably can't afford a drastic price cut at the moment.

They really can't, and Gamescom clarified that. Most new (excluding NFS) PSVita titles shown were for a 2013 release.

2012 is done for the PSVita. Sony probably hope to re-launch it next year with a handful of AA titles alongside a decent price-drop.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It's never too early when people aren't interested because of the price. See how things turned around with 3DS.
The difference is that 3DS was clearly overpriced at its initial price. Vita justifies its cost, hardware-wise.

gogogow

And the PSP?

PSP E-1000 aka Phat ass PSP with no Wifi and mono speaker.
3-PSP-E1000.jpg

SmokyDave

They definitely realise something needs to change. This is good.

From our perspective, we were very pleased to launch with many titles. Many people said we had the strongest launch line-up for a PlayStation platform. But it's amazing how much more people want and how much content they consume.
So true.

Man

I don't understand the mentality of waiting 8-12 months to save $50-100 (for those saying they will jump in at that time).
If no current games entice you then surely but just to save a meagre amount of cash?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
we need apps, man, apps.

vita hardware is fantastic, i don't want to use it just for games
I think you're right. Sony needs to make Vita a tablet. If Apple releases an iPad mini, both companies will compete for the same dollars. And the most useful device will win.

Massa

Isn't this the deal with every console ever made ever?

Yep. Gotta make into a headline though!

They really can't, and Gamescom clarified that. Most (excluding NFS) PSVita titles shown were for a 2013 release.

2012 is done for the PSVita. Sony probably hope to re-launch it next year with a handful of AA titles alongside a decent price-drop.

What? Most titles showed (Madden, FIFA, NFS Most Wanted, LittleBigPlanet, Call of Duty BO Declassified, AC 3 Liberation, All Stars) are all coming this year. They simply announced two new titles for the future, as they did with the PS3 as well. They're not relaunching anything next year, in fact this holiday will have a bigger marketing push than the launch window had.

At least cut the price of the memory cards soon, please! Then I'll buy one this holiday season, probably with the Ass Creed III bundle.

smurfx

get some go again
cheaper for sony to buy a bunch of exclusives and hope you can entice enough people to jump aboard and keep the system alive while your engineers redesign the system to be cheaper and then release a new version.

iceatcs

Ok I will buy the same model when the new model out.

Most of times, the new model will feel cheap plastic.

7threst

The difference is that 3DS was clearly overpriced at its initial price. Vita justifies its cost, hardware-wise.

But when it's not selling, even when the hardware is that good, it's overpriced from out of a business standpoint, right? I mean, you'd think it's not only about making a profit, but also about gaining marketshare. Since profits are unlikely when you are selling this slow, you might as well make drastic cuts to gain marketshare as fast as possible then later turn things around profit-wise, the way Nintendo is doing now.
But like I said earlier, Sony probably can't afford that.

gogogow

Joking? That is intentionally a barebones PSP, what about all the other models before it?

What about them? Sony halted the production of the PSP-3000 for Europe. Or get it from Marketplace sellers for 195 pounds, yeah. Sony aren't giving people a choice when it comes to the PSP in Europe.
It's either the gimped PSP or buy a overpriced one with the full features.

psp_amazonhjl83.jpg

thuway

They really can't, and Gamescom clarified that. Most new (excluding NFS) PSVita titles shown were for a 2013 release.
I'm sorry man, but you are way too negative.

Septermber has Little Big Planet
October has Assasin's Creed: Liberation
November has PSABR

I'm pretty happy with my Vita.

Yopis

People want Avatar graphics for 99 cents. Sad days man........most of these fence sitters will never buy anyway. Once the cheap version hits people will love the hardware that is a good thing. Thats how PS3 was anyway. Bring on the games.

Top Bottom