• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2011: $5.5B Loss; PS3 is #1 despite Thai Flood

Hmm... okay...

Let's say 4.5M PSPs

PSV:
2.5M launch shipment.

0.5M Apr-Jun - Announce some games at E3.

1.5M Jul-Sept - TGS global price drop, retailers informed earlier. Announce some games?

5.0M Oct-Nov - Holiday sales.

1.0M Jan-Mar

Even under this really favorable math they'd still miss that target.

You dont make those kind of predictions for Vita & PSP sales without thinking it can happen. Everyone said the same thing when they said X million ps3s a few years back and they launched the slim and only came in fractionally shy iirc.

If they think they can shift probably 10 million Vitas after the initial sales they have seen, they must have a valid reason. I want to know what it is.

You would hope so. Sony hasn't seemed to have much of a solid sales strategy for the Vita so far, which makes me highly skeptical, but maybe they do have a secret weapon they feel confident in. Call of Duty Vita? I don't know.

Kyou

Are they going to include the FY11 Vitas in their FY12 report next year?

because then it would be a year and a half of vitas + fy12 psps.

StevieP

Banned
You would hope so. Sony hasn't seemed to have much of a solid sales strategy for the Vita so far, which makes me highly skeptical, but maybe they do have a secret weapon they feel confident in. Call of Duty Vita? I don't know.

I don't think a console-like CoD on a mobile platform is going to launch it into heaven or anything like that. Has to be something else. Like a price cut maybe?

Burai

shitonmychest57
You dont make those kind of predictions for Vita & PSP sales without thinking it can happen. Everyone said the same thing when they said X million ps3s a few years back and they launched the slim and only came in fractionally shy iirc.

If they think they can shift probably 10 million Vitas after the initial sales they have seen, they must have a valid reason. I want to know what it is.

Everybody wants to know what it is. It's going to have to be a massive price drop plus some third party money hatting the likes we've never seen before. And even then it might not work.

I don't think a console-like CoD on a mobile platform is going to launch it into heaven or anything like that. Has to be something else. Like a price cut maybe?

A price cut is necessary, agreed, but ideally Sony would have multiple games in strong-selling franchises to back that price cut up, like how Nintendo backed up the 3DS price cut with Mario. The nebulous promises of Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are the only such games I can think of that are slated for the future.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Let's say the Vita maintains its launch sales in the US and sells 250k a month + a two million bump for the holidays. That gives us 4.5 million.

In Japan, Vita is selling about 10k a week. Post E3/TGS I expect this number to increase by a factor of 5. Vita sells 50k a week plus an extra boost of 1 million for the holidays that brings us to 3 million.

Europe is Sonyland so I think it will do better than in the US. I'll conservatively ballpark 5.5 million Vitas sold.

These (mostly reasonable) predictions comfortably brings us to 13 million.

I am not sure why people are talking shit about sony.

Carl

Massive Vita pricedrop and awesome software incoming.

It's the only way.

PS3 hardware lower than i thought it would be for the quarter.

Let's say the Vita maintains its launch sales in the US and sells 250k a month + a two million bump for the holidays. That gives us 4.5 million.

In Japan, Vita is selling about 10k a week. Post E3/TGS I expect this number to increase by a factor of 5. Vita sells 50k a week plus an extra boost of 1 million for the holidays that brings us to 3 million.

Europe is Sonyland so I think it will do better than in the US. I'll conservatively ballpark 5.5 million Vitas sold.

So...5x increase because of possible game announcements that may or may not exist and will release at the end of summer to the end of the year?

This has to be a bit, right?

Maintained launch sales and a five-factor multiplication based on announcements....

"Mostly reasonable"....

My God.

haadim

PS2 still selling over 4million units after all these years is just insane. Truly remarkable console. Doubt we will ever see anything like it again.

Is PSP really dead? Why is it still selling almost 7million units?

PS3 being number 1 bestselling console (either home or handheld) is surprising. Thought 3DS sold more, hmm......

Put next gen into backburner. Just bring on more games SONY!

Kangi

Maintained launch sales and a five-factor multiplication based on announcements....

"Mostly reasonable"....

My God.
I'm so dearly hoping that entire post was sarcasm, though the last line sort of suggests otherwise. I just don't... how do you figure that... oi. I wonder if Sony is actually thinking that way themselves with their forecast.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Please be trolling, please be trolling.

PS3 being number 1 bestselling console (either home or handheld) is surprising. Thought 3DS sold more, hmm......

It's not, unless you consider Sony's FY to be the time frame in which we determine these things. Normal people tend to use calendar years but I guess if we are using fiscal years then we will have a new #1 in 2 months when Microsoft reports their end of fiscal year numbers.(#1 will be 3DS)

Spiegel

So E3, TGS and Gamescom are going to be filled with Vita megatons and a pricedrop, right?

Or they will miss the target by 7 million or so.

Blablurn

Is PSP really dead? Why is it still selling almost 7million units?

41VD5REDqlL.jpg

psp street, 95€, kicking it!

Truth101

Banned

Uh.... Interesting analysis there. You should see if Patcher is looking for a protégé.

Instro

Nothing about this is reasonable. Why would it maintain its launch sales? Why would game announcements at E3/TGS increase sales, when that is never the case? Hopefully you were joking.

herod

It's still a nice turnaround for PS3, you count a 1 year headstart with a rather not too positive first year on the market and the PS3 did wonders with the rest of its time on the market.

I don't see it. Financially the red ink hugely outweighs the black for the PS3. It needs to have sold 50% again to match expectations.

AZ Greg

This post is the single biggest piece of evidence for the return of :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe they're going to launch a flagship Vita phone in time for the holidays and count that in their numbers ;)

Lightning

Banned
Because they are just like the United States. Big, bloated, losing money hand over fist but since we have a bunch of valuable assets people are willing to loan us lots of money.
The probem with this is that you have to pay loans back and you cannot do that if you lose money let alone this damn much...

I may be paranoid but Im becoming worried about Sony's future survival.

shira

Let's say the Vita maintains its launch sales in the US and sells 2.5M a month + a twenty million bump for the holidays. That gives us 45 million.

In Japan, Vita is selling about 10k a week. Post E3/TGS I expect this number to increase by a factor of 50. Vita sells 500k a week plus an extra boost of 10 million for the holidays that brings us to 30 million.

Europe is Sonyland so I think it will do better than in the US. I'll conservatively ballpark 55 million Vitas sold.

These (mostly reasonable) predictions comfortably brings us to 130 million.

Fixed

The probem with this is that you have to pay loans back and you cannot do that if you lose money let alone this damn much...

I may be paranoid but Im becoming worried about Sony's future survival.
They have a lot of stuff they can sell if it ever came down to it which is why they have no trouble getting loans.

Loudninja

Sony Predicts First Profit in 5 Years as Hirai Restructures
There is an expectation for earnings recovery this fiscal year after Sony’s production was significantly hit by Japan’s earthquake and floods in Thailand last year,” Wakabayashi said.

Hirai, who took over from Howard Stringer, wants to “revitalize and grow” the electronics business under a new management plan unveiled last month. The initiatives include bolstering the digital imaging, games and mobile businesses; turning around the TV division; expanding in emerging markets; creating new businesses and accelerating innovation; and realigning the business portfolio.

The world’s No. 3 TV maker has lost about 700 billion yen in the business during the past eight years while losing market share to Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung and Seoul-based LG Electronics Co., both of which make money selling sets. Sony plans to make the business profitable by March 2014.

Last year, Sony exited a panel-making venture with Samsung, the world’s No. 1 TV maker, to cut costs. Hirai, who has pledged to cut the number of Bravia models by 40 percent, abolished two divisions at Sony’s main electronics unit and put himself in charge of TVs, games and networked entertainment operations.
More than 1.2 million Vitas have been sold since the machine’s introduction in the U.S. and Europe in February, according to a company statement. In October, Sony began offering its PS1 game titles for users of some Xperia smartphones and Sony tablet computers.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...ofit-in-five-years-as-hirai-restructures.html

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So is the ps3 making money yet?

It's been making money for some time now.

(If you mean 'has it recouped the losses of the early years' - then no, obvs)

The material impact of this loss is smaller than it appears. A large bulk of it - $3.8bn - is a non-cash tax charge. It doesn't reflect in their liquidity.

BKK

NO Vita numbers, wtf? Funny that Nintendo's financial results contain more information about Vita's sales than Sony's.

They even added Vita to the Cumulative Software Titles, but just blatantly didn't add it to the Unit Sales of Hardware/Software.

They must be planning Vita price cut to expect to sell that many in FY12.

Top Bottom