• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Rick Dangerous said:
This thread is getting very interesting. One question : Untolddreams is a Sony developper for Playstation Move ?

I think he is just a smart dude that understands the tech and got to interview Dr. Richard Marks (the creator of the controller) and asked really good questions.

Corto

What's the value of comparing the speed/latency/lag/precision/smoothness of an unreleased product using pre-alpha code with a retail game and product? If something, the reports that state that the Move seems to be at least on par with the Wii controllers should be understood as promising for the final product and respective games. Do the comparison videos when both products are accesible to the final costumer.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nintendo's Response:

"I think a hallmark of Nintendo is that we are constantly trying to innovate. I think we would have been embarrassed to do what our competitors are currently doing." - Reggie Fils-Aime

http://kotaku.com/5492102/the-next-wii-will-innovate-the-race-to-motion-is-embarrassingquot

Newsweek_2700_s-N_2700_Gai-Croal-and-Nintendo-of-America-president-Reggie-Fils_2D00_Aime-at-Sony_2700_s-keynote-for-the-March-2007-Game-Developers-Conference.aspx

Banned
Donos said:
I have to say that the glowing orb, although looking like a chuppa chup is great for marketing. Saw a bunch of pictures on different gaming sites of the "move" and the glowing orb always catches the eye. That it can glow in different colors is really good. it's better than a wand looking just like a remote.
Let's see if sony can deliver some quality non wii crap games with it (maybe E3).
That it can change colours is fantastic. My only worry there is that it takes 1 second according to someone. I wish it was instantaneous and don't know why it isn't. It would be ok I guess of it's a one second fade instead of just a one second delay. It would be ideal if devs could actually just be totally free with it though.

Koren

UntoldDreams > I try to understand your arguments, but I can't convince myself that you're right.

Not on the conclusion: I agree that Move has a better real-space positionning system in the reference frame of the TV set. I just disagree with the way you see it. But maybe that's just a misunderstaning.

I'm still convinced that both technologies are the same, but with a reference frame change. The fact that the camera moves or not is not the main issue there, I think.

Here's a different attempt to explain myself. Let's assume that we have a camera lookint at an object (be it wiimote IR sensor looking at the bar or the PSEye looking at the sphere)

A] camera gives a near-perfect azimuthal angle and polar angle (theta, phi)

B] if the object is symmetrical, size of the object gives an estimation of the distance of the object (r)

B'] if the object is not symmetrical (sensor bar), camera gives a mix of the distance and on of the angles defining the orientation of the object (yaw at "central position"). It's tricky, but as long as you're close to the "central position", it's second-order in yaw, so you get distance. You'd need a frame instead of a bar to remove this ambiguity.

B''] if the object is not symmetrical (sensor bar), you're also get another angle (roll) of the orientation of the system

C] acceleration further improve the computation of the distance by comparing motion observed and acceleration registered. The fact that the camera move and record acceleration, or the object move and record acceleration is no different at all, it's a simple reference frame change.

D] orientation of the moving item is recorded by gyroscopes / magnetometer / gravity. Let's call those angles a, b and c.

For the two system, theta and phi are very good, r is also good. a, b, c are less precise and prone to error.

Now, it depends on whar you're wanting to do:
- if you want to get X, Y and Z: Move is better, since X, Y and Z only depend on theta, phi and r. If you want to compute X, Y and Z with wiimote system, you also need a, b and c (which are especially unprecise if you don't have a wii motion plus...) Moreover, if the sensor bar is not visible, you don't have those theta, phi and r => awful.

- if you want X' and Y', the coordinates of the intersection of a line tied to the Move/Wiimote and the screen plane, Wiimote is best, since it uses only theta, phi and r, while Move also need a, b and c

As a conclusion, it's obvious that wiimote is quite bad at 3D positioning, first because keeping the sensor bar in the IR sensor direction is impossible, then because a, b and c (required for X, Y and Z absolute computation) require orientation.

That would be vastly different if you replace the sensor bar with a full 3D frame. I've done motion tracking of an object moving, tied to a camera, that worhs perfectly. But the camera was looking at 3D unplanar objects, not at two points. There's even no need for gyroscope/accelerometers for that.

It's the same for Move, you don't need gyroscopes, accelerometers and others if you replace the single sphere by four spheres arranged in a 3D fashion. This way, you have full 3D positionning with only the camera. Problem is that a full frame is too big to put on a device in your hand.

I hope I'm more clear...

UntoldDreams said:
There is a big difference between using a fixed point camera to calculate displacement and a free form bouncing rotating camera. Its quite complex unless you have a million dollar infinite high resolution camera.
I've done it with a (good) webcam and a $300 camera... No problem, really. But not with two points, you need four, or you need to know the orientation of the camera.

NO!R

Banned
SSJ1Goku said:
I already explained that people don't care what it looks like in the the other Sony motion control thread so I'm not going to repeat myself:

http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded12/4423017562_dc49b418f4_b.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded12/4423018112_8bc11aa08d_b.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded12/4423017286_6026ed1927_b.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded12/4423018276_50113ea2cb_b.jpg[/IMG]

EDIT: I will repeat this one thing, the part of the controller that is most made fun of (the bulb) will become the strongest marketing point, which is seen in these pics. I already explained this stuff in the other thread.

I still think they could use stronger branding.
Something that delivers the message of what they're doing to video games.
I posted a little concept in another thread.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2u4105v.jpg

Reach into your game. Reach your full potential. Reach into PlayStation 3
PlayStation®REACH™

PSR sounds sounds more appealing than PSM, which is the magazine.

I hope Move is just a placeholder.

JaxJag said:
SNES wasn't innovative either.

They aren't as innovative as they think.

They're way more innovative than you seem to admit though. They're at their best when doing something new. Saying that "SNES wasn't innovative" also misses the point, they did loads of other products during the SNES times too. They never said every single one of their products was innovative.

Skiesofwonder

JaxJag said:

You have to remember Reggie arrived right around the time Iwata was selected as president and Nintendo DS/Wii were right around the corner.

But even before then, Nintendo was still one of the biggest innovators in the gaming world.

Dude. No one cares what the name should have been. Stop selfishly reposting Reach. Next up, xbots LOLing at Sony stealing title from Halo: Reach.

Move is a good name. Hell, I won't care about the name for what it does is what matters.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
NO!R said:
I still think they could use stronger branding.
Something that delivers the message of what they're doing to video games.
I posted a little concept in another thread.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2u4105v.jpg

Reach into your game. Reach your full potential. Reach into PlayStation 3
PlayStation®REACH™

PSR sounds sounds more appealing than PSM, which is the magazine.

I hope Move is just a placeholder.

You can't be serious. I appreciate the effort but that looks just bad and messy.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just listened to giantbombs GDC day one podcast and they said they tried about PSMove with Socom4 and they said it was fine, they said that "if you you've played a first person Wii game then you'll know what to expect but PShouse was more accurate and easier to control, pulling off head shots etc" so I'm not sure why some people on here are still questioning the pointing ability of the device.

yurinka

TTP said:
You can't be serious. I appreciate the effort but that looks just bad and messy.
I agree.
Man said:
We have full insight into what the PS Mote tech is now. Among patented methods they haven't included ultrasonics nor sphere pattern.

What is in is this:

- terrestrial magnetic field sensor (extremely precise orientation data in small spaces)
- RGB Sphere & PS Eye (60-120hz tracking, sub-pixel accuracy due to 32bit color strength analysis of per pixel. Sees absolute position in X,Y & Z)
- 3 axis Gyro
- 3 directional Accelerometers

Performance is only 1 frame latency (even with 4x controllers) without jitter smoothing, more if you want to post process the jitter.
The software takes under 2MB of ram and a percentage of one SPU so it's very implementable for already existing titles should devs choose to patch it in.
He exactly said : "We track up to four controllers in under a frame time on one SPU. The memory requirements are under two megabytes. "
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-move-article?page=2

About the SPU usage they also said it only uses a portion of it (not the the entire SPU) in another interview (sorry I can't find the link).

I think this latency time, amount of CPU and memory required for the device will be key in hardcore, graphic whore AAA games support. Let's see what numbers show Natal in its final implementation.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the little ball on the end of the stick is just the most absurd looking doohickey ever

Shurs

V_Ben

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
How anyone can read this article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-move-article?page=1

.... and not excited about the potential of Move is beyond me.

They haven't worked even a fraction of the total tech into the demos shown....

the head tracking interests me loads. sounds super amazing :D

and then there's this quote at the end of the article;

It's comments like these that give me faith that PlayStation Move is going to be a success. In theory, Sony's motion controller can easily exceed the capabilities of the Wii MotionPlus and also mimic some of the headline functionality of Project Natal. It acknowledges the importance of the human body as a control interface, but is based on the basic common-sense principle that our hands and fingers are a crucial component in communicating with the game.

Skiesofwonder

NinjaFusion said:
How anyone can read this article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-move-article?page=1

.... and not excited about the potential of Move is beyond me.

They haven't worked even a fraction of the total tech into the demos shown....

Great article.

Exactly what I have been thinking. While it looks like the tech is indeed great and a clear step above wiimotion+, the games look like shit.

That's a big problem when this holiday season your going up against Zelda Wii (motion+ exclusive) that Nintendo has been working on for over three years now. Not to mention Wii Relax which could be potentially the next Wii Fit.

Sony better have something good under their sleeves. I personally just want to see at least one high quality core game from Sony that is MOVE exclusive. Or maybe a unique and innovative casual/party game. Just something different.

Until then, I just see MOVE as a cash in.

DemonNite

Shurs said:
What bothers me is that the original release date for Move was supposed to be around this time, yet they have nothing much to show for it software-wise. They should be further along at this point.

You think they want to show their hand in one go? now the date is further away they have held some back until then

Shurs

DemonNite said:
You think they want to show their hand in one go? now the date is further away they have held some back until then

You'd think, at this point, they titles would be more technically proficient.

Maxrunner

JaxJag said:

Snes brought shoulder buttons to, you know, the ones Sony duplicated to four......still that sentence is hilariously dismissive of what Nintendo has brought to the table since NES.....

Top Bottom