• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hacking suspect smashes computers to get out of prosecution

Kyzon

Would microwaving my entire laptop work if that is the only pc I have? I had no idea data was so hard to destroy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's not like he wouldn't have had to say goodbye to his computer(s) anyways.

They would have been confiscated by the feds, so either way, he was going to have to lose thousands of dollars in computer hardware.

Hell, if you're caught with drugs in your car, the state could confiscate your vehicle (not just impound it).

Would microwaving my entire laptop work if that is the only pc I have? I had no idea data was so hard to destroy.

I don't think so. Harddrives are really durable. Even dropping it in water likely won't destroy it. Sure fire way would format then do a 35 system pass with a drive wiper and then to be doubly sure smash it with a hammer making sure to get the platters and then dump the pieces into various dumpsters.

Dunk#7

A hard drive just stores collections of 1's and 0's

Is there a type of formatting out there that would send every single bit to a 0 (or a 1)

There would be no way to find the data at that point correct?

Abandond

What exactly did he do to PSN? 20 years in prison should be reserved for murder.

Hell, I wouldnt even agree with any jail time for it tbh.

Joni

I just told the FBI you killed Jimmy Hoffa. I'll be over in 20 minutes to destroy all your knives and take them to a remote dumpster. Enjoy prison!
I'll be sure to film you :) I didn't say the burden of proof to proof he destroyed the evidence would go away. I said I would raise the penalty of destruction of evidence.

Is there a type of formatting out there that would send every single bit to a 0 (or a 1)

Actually, it would be quite easy. It is really for hard drives to be at 0 or 1. They're usually at values like 0,4 or 0,8 which will be read as 0 or 1. A 0 in the middle of 5 1s will have a certain residual value.

Tamanon

Banned
What exactly did he do to PSN? 20 years in prison should be reserved for murder.

Hell, I wouldnt even agree with any jail time for it tbh.

He stole personal information(including possibly credit cards) of millions of people. That's definitely worth 20 years.

Cipherr

Sounds like he won out. 20 years? Wow, must be thanking the stars every day for such a close call. Im sure he will take a year of house arrest over 20 years any day of the week.

Kyzon

Something to hide? ;)

Shhhhhhhh, no cops plz XD

I don't think so. Harddrives are really durable. Even dropping it in water likely won't destroy it. Sure fire way would format then do a 35 system pass with a drive wiper and then to be doubly sure smash it with a hammer making sure to get the platters and then dump the pieces into various dumpsters.

Oh, that's pretty crazy how durable they are. Sounds like a ton of work. Do strong magnets do anything to destroy data?

Also, it seems like the FBI will be tailing that guy for a long time. It would be smart of him to just make sure he never retrieves the HDDs since they'll probably storm on him as soon as he acquires them again.

Skunkers

A hard drive just stores collections of 1's and 0's

You have the right idea, but the problem is bits are set using magnetism. Even when the drive writes a bit to zero there is still residual positive magnetism on that sector; not enough to where the drive itself will incorrectly read that the bit is a one, but a residual trace that data recovery equipment and software can detect and use to read a zero-written drive. That's why you see everyone talking about multiple pass formats, where the drive sets everything to one and then zero (or random ones and zeroes) over and over again until those traces of the original data can no longer be detected.

daaaayyyyuuumm.

397984_593057280721279_451624398_n.png
LOL!!!

Oh man this really made me laugh very loudly here at work.

Akey

Banned
By this story the guy does not even have his GED. Probably had nothing to do with it but had enough copyright movies and tv shows to put him away for 2 million years with how *&^% the law and government is in protecting the corporations.

Suairyu

Banned
I said I would raise the penalty of destruction of evidence.
What evidence? What were the hdds evidence of?

If they were never analysed and their contents documented, they aren't evidence, only avenues of exploration.

There is no proven destruction of evidence in this case. You are advocating for people to have long sentences based on mere suspicion.

So I'm twenty something now, add twenty years that makes forty something. I can't imagine what it would be like getting locked up in 1993 and coming out today. So much happens in a single year. I would've set those platters on fire. They'd burn until whatever I was burning them in ceased to exist.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
If they could prove that he destroyed his HDDs wouldn't that count as tampering with evidence?

BibiMaghoo

If im not mistaken this only deletes the directory tree or something the data is still there unless its rewritten.

Im not sure shouldn't have been slacking in those classes.

This. Formatting a drive does not remove the data that was on it, only the directory of where the data is held.

Recall

Someone did what they thought they must (right or wrong, not for me to say) and now peopke are like, I could have done it better.
Interesting twist this thread took.

Dunk#7

You have the right idea, but the problem is bits are set using magnetism. Even when the drive writes a bit to zero there is still residual positive magnetism on that sector; not enough to where the drive itself will incorrectly read that the bit is a one, but a residual trace that data recovery equipment and software can detect and use to read a zero-written drive. That's why you see everyone talking about multiple pass formats, where the drive sets everything to one and then zero (or random ones and zeroes) over and over again until those traces of the original data can no longer be detected.

If you wrote everything to 0 multiple times would that pull all the values closer to an absolute 0?

Even without doing that I have a hard time understanding how they can tell what the value was in the past. It seems like that would take a lot of assumptions. I know I could/should do some research on my own, but I am just trying to get the "in a nutshell" version of how they move backwards with any sort of court-permissible accuracy. Do they assume that every magnetic value moved the same amount from it's previous position and then adjust it back accordingly?

The more I think about it it really wouldn't be too difficult to make several assumptions and test them all (moving back to the known state before trying another one). After moving the bit values up or down they way you have assumed you could just test for readable data to see if your thinking was correct. When this is all done in an automated process it wouldn't be too bad.

Koroviev

Someone did what they thought they must (right or wrong, not for me to say) and now peopke are like, I could have done it better.
Interesting twist this thread took.

I think the general consensus is "smash it and burn it." Sure, there are other, less outwardly destructive solutions.... But we want to be sure ;)

If they could prove that he destroyed his HDDs wouldn't that count as tampering with evidence?
Multiple people in here are saying this. The thing is that the FBI was never able to analyze the hard drives so it would be impossible to say that he ever tampered with evidence; as there was no evidence yet. He removed the HDDs and destroyed his computers before the FBI could issue a warrant and that is not illegal. I can destroy all of my computer equipment right now and no crimes will have been omitted. If the FBI had already claimed his computers to be evidence AND THEN he destroyed everything it would have resulted in him being charged with tampering with evidence and that can have an unpleasant jail sentence. But, he was able to prevent any potential evidence from being collected which is why he could only be charged with obstruction of justice. You can't tamper with evidence that doesn't yet exist.

tl;dr: The FBI could have still charged him with hacking Sony's network in a federal court but his defense attorneys would have simply said "where is the evidence to support this accusation?" and he would have gotten off. Being put under house arrest for obstruction of justice is probably the best they could have charged him with without evidence.

Cyrano

Just smashing it would suffice.

If a disc has even a small hole where data would be, that data is irrevocably lost (and if it was attached to other sectors of the image, that data would likely be inaccessible as well).

If you wanted to actually get rid of the data without destroying the drive, you would have to do a 0 pass, but that takes a lot longer.

Cyrano

I suppose the other option would have been to burn them, but jesus you really don't want to burn magnetic discs.

Pistolero

Hackers are solitary heroes fighting against the tyranny of evil corporations (this part is half true)...
That is, until your personal info is compromised.

Brera

Banned
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to think of this. Fuck messing around with geeky shit. Just get that HHH hammer and go to work!

I would have removed the HDD and DDR5 and smashed it like I was smashing in Cameron Diaz's backdoor and burned it to cinders and then replaced the drive and RAM quick time before the feds returned.

Koroviev

I suppose the other option would have been to burn them, but jesus you really don't want to burn magnetic discs.

The voices in my head said it was necessary.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to think of this. Fuck messing around with geeky shit. Just get that HHH hammer and go to work!

I would have removed the HDD and DDR5 and smashed it like I was smashing in Cameron Diaz's backdoor and burned it to cinders and then replaced the drive and RAM quick time before the feds returned.

And no one would witness you going to the parts store....

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
You'd hope that some body that hacked into Sony computers would be more tech savvy.

Or that's exactly why he did it? He knew they would be able to recover the data if he did practically anything else, which was also far less time consuming.

Brera

Banned
The voices in my head said it was necessary.

And no one would witness you going to the parts store....

Went to get some CPU lube! No crime against that! Or send a kid off a street corner to get me some HDD goodness...what was the time frame anyway? If it was a case of we'll be back in an hour then I would do what the kid did.

I ain't gonna wait around and be butt raped by the feds and bubba down at county! Fuck dat shit!

Top Bottom