• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony & Honda venture wants to build EV's centered around PS5 and Media to compete with Tesla. Expects first vehicle in 2025.

Speaking to the Financial Times, the heads of Sony Honda Mobility say they are planning to build an electric car around music, movies, and the PlayStation 5. "Sony has content, services and entertainment technologies that move people. We are adapting these assets to mobility, and this is our strength against Tesla," president Izumi Kawanishi told the FT.

It's a way for Sony Honda to differentiate from Tesla, and Kawanishi, who previously headed up Sony's AI robotics division, also said that incoporating the PS5 platform into their cars was "technologically possible". Chair of the joint venture Yasuhide Mizuno, who previously headed up Honda cars, said the company is building its production processes around putting content first, and would introduce its first car model into the market in North America by 2025.
|
Chair of the joint venture Yasuhide Mizuno, who previously headed up Honda cars, said the company is building its production processes around putting content first, and would introduce its first car model into the market in North America by 2025.

Tesla2.jpg

While interesting on paper, this plan basically requires you to not be driving or to be in an autonomous car traveling for gameplay session distances. I think like TV's in the head rests there's only a very limited use for such a thing. If you are a rider you're most likely going t8o whip out your phone or handheld device, among other things than buy likely a just as overpriced EV vehicle as tesla for the ability to play a PS5 built-into the car.

Sometimes some ideas just can't get anywhere. I don't see this really being an attractive offer to the general public (like EV's in general, and especially autonomous cars) and people are chasing after a small or invisible market that barely exists at all.

nikos

EVs and autonomous cars are the worst things to happen to the automotive industry since the automatic transmission. I'll personally never support this shit.

People should be focused on DRIVING when they're in the car. This shit is only going to make bad and new drivers even worse.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sounds stupid as fuck, build a car around content? Content? A car? Driving in the road hello what the hell is going on with some of these people is there a study out there saying the new generation of drivers are morons?

Last edited:

reksveks

It sounds like someone trying to sexy up a partnership. Just stick a decent chromium browser in there and don't need to worry about much more.

jaysius

Banned
EVs and autonomous cars are the worst things to happen to the automotive industry since the automatic transmission. I'll personally never support this shit.

People should be focused on DRIVING when they're in the car. This shit is only going to make bad and new drivers even worse.
Cellphones are the worst thing, too many fucking morons on their cellphones.

Also those BIG BRIGHT worthless touch displays, they’re too bright and they make people think they need HIGH BEAMS on to drive anywhere because they don’t understand the basics of light’s impact on the eyes.

Yes automatic driving cars are awful, but the way things are now, they’re our only chance to bring a modicum of safety back to the roads. People are already not driving their cars, let the car at least take care of them and their idiocy.

midnightAI

While I am a petrol head, especially cars from the 60's and 70's (I want to restomod a 260z some time in the future) , I see that the future is with electric cars and autonomous driving.

The whole point is you don't have to be a good driver, the car will drive for you, when all cars can communicate with each other within a certain area and when cars get prope4r autonomous driving nailed then they will be much safer than just allow some idiot behind the wheel of a car, we are a long way from that admittedly, but it will make roads much safer in the long run, especially motorway driving.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Letting people play games while driving is already a dangerous as fuck concept, why propagate it ..

Guilty_AI

Sounds stupid as fuck, build a car around content? Content? A car? Driving in the road hello what the hell is going on with some of these people is there a study out there saying the new generation of drivers are morons?
Will make sense when the average person starts being too poor to afford houses and go on to live in their cars. Honda is seeing 17 steps ahead here.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned

I trust AI to drive over a human any day of the week. Once all cars are autonomous and can communicate with each other will be a dream. Hopefully will happen in my lifetime.

That’s what she

Neo Member
Since PS5 are still are hard to buy, so I can understand that they want to upsell some bundles …but now I have to buy a whole car to play GT7?
At least no one can blame them any longer for micro transactions

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Cellphones are the worst thing, too many fucking morons on their cellphones.

Also those BIG BRIGHT worthless touch displays, they’re too bright and they make people think they need HIGH BEAMS on to drive anywhere because they don’t understand the basics of light’s impact on the eyes.

Yes automatic driving cars are awful, but the way things are now, they’re our only chance to bring a modicum of safety back to the roads. People are already not driving their cars, let the car at least take care of them and their idiocy.
we have automatic cars already. they're called trains and buses.

Top Bottom