• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "in-game communication", firmware 2.4 coming in 'Summer'

Sony PR Goon #1: "Let's let the 2.4 details and release date 'slip'."
Sony PR Goon #2: "Okay, yeah..."
Sony PR Goon #1: "Tell them something is coming... get a bunch of news into the channel..."
Sony PR Goon #2: "Yeah... yeah, yeah."
Sony PR Goon #1: "Let them expect they're going to be waiting a while..."
Sony PR Goon #2: "Then just after the news and talk about PS3 slows down again..."
Sony PR Goon #1: "Drop it all unannounced long before it was expected! Mega..."
Sony PR Goon #2: "...ton! Genius!"

star-wars-geek.jpg

depward

Kibbles said:
Nobody has mics anyways. The new 80GB w/ MGS4 better come with a mic. I played CoD4 at my cousins house and it was so freaking silent. It's hard to work with your team like that.

I hear people constantly on CoD4? And Warhawk? Whenever I play either one of those games, there are enough people to talk & implement strategy.

Bricfa

n1n9tean said:
MGS4 won't come with a mic; and it doesn't need to. But, Socom: Confrontation most likely will (example: Warhawk BD version w/ Bluetooth headset). So, Socom is released and then, all of a sudden, everyone has a headset. Just you wait and watch it happen. :D

Just like that worked with Warhawk? I hated the earpiece that came with it.

androvsky

Elbrain said:
Well this is bull this fucking firmware should be this fucking month not fucking summer. I curse at you bastards who fucking said we get updates for the PS3 to frequent! CURSE YOU!

Keeping in mind that Sony felt an obligation to release firmware updates on a monthly basis, and that each update almost certainly requires a good deal of Q/C and bug hunting, at least some of which would have to be done by the main hotshot firmware programmers. This is why some updates really didn't have much interesting, they felt like they had to release something, so they wasted a good deal of time on little things that really didn't matter, instead of focusing on in-game XMB and PS2 emulation.

I suspect Sony was quite happy to get feedback that the firmware updates were happening too often, it gave them a chance to settle down and get stuff done.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Shinblade said:
WHAT IS YOUR SOURCE?
CRAP

WHAT IS YOUR SOURCE?

I also noticed you posted this:

.... with no source....

And I didn't happen.

I ask again... WHAT IS YOUR SOURCE. Otherwise, my dahlink, you're talking shit.

<yawn>

chill the fuck out sheesh!

Aladuf

Banned
Kibbles said:
Nobody has mics anyways. The new 80GB w/ MGS4 better come with a mic. I played CoD4 at my cousins house and it was so freaking silent. It's hard to work with your team like that.

I wish I was playing the same game of CoD4 as you because whenever I play it there's basically 2 teams full of people with mics just screaming and talking like jackasses.

*begs for the CoD4 patch to mute people asap*

Mojovonio

Banned
I really can't wait for this and I hope they implement it well.

There are only 2 reasons why I play games on 360 over PS3.

Achievements and Live Integration.

I'm getting bored of achivements and if Sony could pull this off well, I won't have to worry about games breaking my console anymore.

matticus

Zoc said:
Home, in-game XMB, voice chat... all things for the multiplayer gamer. Anything coming for those of us who won't touch online MP with a ten-foot pole?

Yes, it's called Metal Gear Solid 4.

matticus

Goldrusher said:
Good list. But giving your friends a look at what movie you're playing should be by default disabled and say something neutral like "watching a DVD".

Goldrusher
Watching Boner Jamz 8

n1n9tean

Banned
Bricfa said:
Just like that worked with Warhawk? I hated the earpiece that came with it.
First of all, I think you missed my main point; THIS IS SOCOM WE'RE TALKING ABOUT! Not Warhawk. As fun as Warhawk may be, it didn't before release (duh) and doesn't currently have a following the way Socom does. So it's Socom that makes things different. Many, many people will purchase that mic bundle. Second, who's to say a different headset wouldn't be chosen for the Socom bundle?

Oh, and something else important worth noting: In Warhawk you have to hold L3 in order to talk. This is a real bother and I think, as a result, there are fewer people speaking while playing in an online game than if it was easier to chat. Other than that, Warhawk, in it's current form anyway, isn't exactly set up in a way that puts a focus on real communication and teamwork.

Get what I'm saying now?

matticus

n1n9tean said:
First of all, I think you missed my main point; THIS IS SOCOM WE'RE TALKING ABOUT! Not Warhawk. As fun as Warhawk may be, it didn't before release (duh) and doesn't currently have a following the way Socom does. So that gets man, many people to purchase the mic bundle right there. Second, who's to say a different headset wouldn't be chosen for the Scom bundle?

Oh, and something else important worth noting: In Warhawk you have to hold L3 in order to talk. This is a real bother and I think, as a result, there are fewer people speaking while playing in an online game than if it was easier to chat. Other than that, Warhawk, in it's current form anyway, isn't exactly set up in a way that puts a focus on real communication and teamwork.

Get what I'm saying now?

Just a side note. In Warhawk's next update, they are making it an option to have open mic or PTT

n1n9tean

Banned
matticus said:
Just a side note. In Warhawk's next update, they are making it an option to have open mic or PTT
Yes, I'm aware of this and I can't wait! :D

But, while we're talking about open-mic communication; I REALLY hope Socom doesn't use it. I'd be pissed. Warhwak is a different kind of game and it should have open-mic.

Kibbles

iapetus said:
Except, you know, everyone who has a mobile phone.

Except, you know, not everyone has a bluetooth headset, or even wants one. I was talking about my experience, nobody in my matches had a mic. There were... I think 4 people out of many games I played over there with my cousin. That's pretty disappointing. Unless they start packaging mics with the systems or advertising it well I wouldn't expect it to change. The average Joe isn't going to go crazy over buying a bluetooth mic to play on his/her PS3.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I can just as easily find a dead silent online game session on the 360 as I can on PS3. It isn't about who has mics or not, but who cares to talk.

n1n9tean

Banned
kaching said:
I can just as easily find a dead silent online game session on the 360 as I can on PS3. It isn't about who has mics or not, but who cares to talk.
EXACTLY; and any Socom player can tell you that most people care to talk in a Socom game whether they are a lost newb or an old pro. Unlike most other online shooters, every member of the team (usually) plays a part.

Top Bottom