• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is done with the Xperia Z range

Status
Not open for further replies.

wachie

Err, lock this one. Funky did the job for me.

I know it was already posted here but I think it deserves a new thread.
When Sony announced three new Xperias earlier this week, it wasn't really apparent where they fit into its grander smartphone plans. Turns out, the X, XA and X Performance are its future.

Since 2013 Sony's flagships have been defined by the letter "Z." We've seen over 10 smartphones with the label, the latest of which were the Xperia Z5 Compact, Z5 and Z5 Premium, released last fall. That led many to expect that, at some point in 2016, an Xperia Z6 series would arrive to replace it. But that's not going to happen. Speaking to the British site uSwitch, a Sony Mobile senior product marketing manager confirmed that Sony "will not be releasing a Z6," adding that it's "turning to the next stage with the Xperia X series."
http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/24/sony-no-xperia-z6/

This is exciting news really. It means that mobile arm is finally getting more focused. Fewer SKUs, fewer releases and address the availability/pricing issues. If they turn around this division to make profits, it'll be super gravy for them.

I do t think I have ever seen anyone using a Z series smartphone. They just always seem to launch them too late in the US with terrible carrier support. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom