• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony on the future direction of PS3 and NGP, Watch Impress editor speculates on PS4

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
StuBurns said:
Next Generation Portable.

You want to vomit now don't you?

Haha. Well, It's not THAT bad a name, I guess. Dunno why the hell they couldn't have simply gone with, Oh I dunno...."PSP2"???

neptunes

You haven't become accustomed to the name by now? I quite like it, and since it's only 3 syllables, it rolls off the tongue more smoother than P-S-P-2

isamu said:
Haha. Well, It's not THAT bad a name, I guess. Dunno why the hell they couldn't have simply gone with, Oh I dunno...."PSP2"???
PSP brand is poison in the west.

They absolutely do not have a choice but to call it PSP2, but they are going to dilly-dally as long as possible in making that final choice.

NGP sounds a heck of a lot better than PSP2. The latter just doesn't roll off the tongue. I also like how the NGP units they showed just had Playstation written on it, very classy.

Nintendo called their thing the DS, not the GBA2, and it rolls right off the tongue. Nobody cares what the letters actually stand for.

from wikipedia:

Digital film standards

Standard Resolution DAR Pixels
Full Aperture 4K ||4096 x 3112 ||1.32:1 ||12,746,752
Academy 4K ||3656 × 2664 ||1.37:1 ||9,739,584
Digital cinema 4K || 4096 × 1714|| 2.39:1|| 7,020,544
Digital cinema 4K ||3996 × 2160 ||1.85:1 ||8,631,360

it's important to note 4k refers to HORIZONTAL resolution, not vertical, which means that 1080p, a measure of vertical resolution (1920x1080) is basically 2k, since the horizontal part is 1920 pixels.

So when people have said "4k" in this thread they mean about 2160p

StuBurns said:
What monitor could you possibly be viewing that on?
Anyone with a multi monitor setup.

Gorgon

erlim said:
Wouldn't it kind of be like how ps3 doesn't really improve the performance of psone (and in some cases ps2) games outside of minor visual softening? How would higher specs improve ps3 games. Aren't they locked into their performance and programed to run for a single specification? F.E.A.R. would still run at 20 fps on a ps3.5, right? If that's the case, ps3.5 would be a huge sham, as I doubt any developers outside of sony would take advantage of the extra power under the hood.
Although I guess it might be worth paying $350 or whatever for a new half system for like a + version of uncharted 4...

No. They could use the same principle as on PCs. There would be two different settings depending on wich version you have of the PS3. PS1 and PS2 games are emulated, not run natively. Completely different things.

Graphics Horse said:
1080p IS 2k (or near enough, cropped to 16:9)
For some reason they switched from vertical resolution to rough approximation of horizontal resolution.

2K is 2048×1080. Yes, you can say it's 1080p, but for obvious reasons no one would use it in that sense. Admitedly, the difference isn't significative from 1920x1080 to 2048×1080.

paskowitz said:
Perfect example, Gran Turismo 5. You can tell the PS3 struggles to run that game. If it had more memory to play with it would be a truly staggering game. Imagine 30+ cars on track, 8x AA, higher res track, true fluid effects for rain and snow, all at 1080p 60fps. SCE devs are so capable, it amazing that the PS3, a system that was ahead of its time, is already holding them back.

What exactely made the PS3 ahead of it's time? My 4 years old computer, bought before my PS3, eats the PS3 alive, then and now. The PS3 was as ahead of it's time as was the 360. That is, neither was.

bloodforge said:
I just wish this gen of consoles would end already.

And handhelds will never replace a console for me unless they can output in HD and 5.1+ audio.

This gen is now hitting full swing. As far as I'm concerned, let it last another 2 years if that means gaming years like 2011 is shapping up to be. Plus, the later they come, the better the hardware. I'm fine with new hardware in 2013.

Plus, the first two years will be shit as always anyway.

thuway

Sony could inject some love into this gen with a slightly upgraded version of the PS3. However, if Sony were to release a PS3.5 wouldn't it be smart to just phase out the PS3 altogether?

The PS3.5 could replace the PS3 like the 3Gs replaced the 3G. Is this reaching to want this in a theoretical PS3.5:

Slimmer Profile
8X Bluray
1 TB HD
1 Gig Ram
Upgraded GPU (2X powerful than the current one)
$299
Fall 2011 or Early 2012

First party titles would open up code to take full advantage of the upgraded specs. I am getting sick thinking about what Killzone, Uncharted, or Versus XIII would look like if they were to target those specs.

kuroshiki

thuway said:
Sony could inject some love into this gen with a slightly upgraded version of the PS3. However, if Sony were to release a PS3.5 wouldn't it be smart to just phase out the PS3 altogether?

The PS3.5 could replace the PS3 like the 3Gs replaced the 3G. Is this reaching to want this in a theoretical PS3.5:

Slimmer Profile
8X Bluray
1 TB HD
1 Gig Ram
$299
Fall 2011 or Early 2012

First party titles would open up code to take full advantage of the upgraded specs. I am getting sick thinking about what Killzone, Uncharted, or Versus XIII would look like if they were to target those specs.

Sony is not stupid enough to cause market fragmentation like that. Won't happen.

thuway said:

Slimmer Profile
8X Bluray
1 TB HD
1 Gig Ram
$299
Fall 2011 or Early 2012

If Sony came out with an upgraded ps3, then naturally they would stop production of the old one.

Sony is not stupid enough to cause market fragmentation like that. Won't happen.
It would cause no more fragmentation than any of the other ps3 revisions we've had.

kuroshiki said:
I don't like the idea either, I want a real ps4 in 2013 with great tech and built with the same strategy as the NGP - getting the developers input as to what they want and starting from there.

Takao

Banned
Lonely1 said:
So, is personal preference then? As you said, your personal opinion has no effect on what third parties will actually do.

For PC, yes, I simply forgot about it since it has no real relevance to me, but is a viable platform for third parties. For WiiHD I think it would be a sentiment shared with third parties. The studios will have been developing for the other platforms for so long that any different hardware would likely make it a poisonous wasteland for things when you consider the amount of consoles Microsoft and Sony will has sold by that point.

Zoe

H_Prestige said:
It would cause no more fragmentation than any of the other ps3 revisions we've had.

The Slim doesn't introduce any of the fragmentation like the iPhone 3Gs or 4G does, which is what he was proposing.

Sipowicz

Banned
dont call it the psp. the playstation brand isn't worth shit these days, and the psp has a bad rep in america and europe

if they want to catch the public's imagination they need something new and catchy

avaya

Wait so they didn't scrap PS4? Thank f*** for that. Would have been truly horrible to be stuck with shitty handhelds. Truly the pikey of pikeys.

So they are back to the drawing board and no shitty PowerPC. Good.

Vinci

Danish
EucadianProphecy said:
You have a company that to all intents and purposes abandoned the hardcore & core gamer demographic to firmly establish for themselves an installed base primarily made up of the non-gamer and non-traditional casual gamer demographics. Even with their own first party support they, for the most part, alienated the core gamer and thus resulted in third party support drying up for their console.

They were abandoned by that demographic first. The GameCube was a fantastic core console, and it was virtually ignored by both core and hardcore gamers, as well as 3rd parties.

How then does a company like that persuade their current non-core audience to upgrade to a WiiHD.

This is not as hard as people make it out to be, as long as what the product offers is compelling.

Nintendo will have a very very difficult job trying to draw them away, especially given that these being the most informed demographic generally will know that Sony and MS' next boxes will be releasing soon.

All it would take is games. You're making this more complicated than it really is. The hardcore - for all our supposed sophistication - are easy sales: Put a game we want on a system, and we are quite likely to buy the system for it.

How does Nintendo get them to all go out en masse and buy a Wii2 without some new gimmick or technology?

You were assuming Nintendo isn't going to employ a 'gimmick' of some kind?

What does Nintendo do?

Wait till everyone else crashes and burns till they don't have any choice but to support Nintendo's systems? That seems to be the basic strategy at this point.

Zoe said:
The Slim doesn't introduce any of the fragmentation like the iPhone 3Gs or 4G does, which is what he was proposing.

I know that. I'm saying the iphone 4 didn't cause any fragmentation in the iphone app market. The 3GS continues to run all the apps even when they are optimized for the iphone 4 retina display.

Zoe

H_Prestige said:
I know that. I'm saying the iphone 4 didn't cause any fragmentation in the iphone app market. The 3GS continues to run all the apps even when they are optimized for the iphone 4 retina display.

They run them like shit though. Can barely run the stock OS apps on the bf's 3G anymore.

StuBurns

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Let's hope so but after all... everyone thought "Massive Action Game" was a temp name too.
I loved how they claimed it doesn't stand for that anymore despite keeping the initials, moronic.

There's no way the system will be NGP, not only does that mean NeoGeo Pocket, Not Good, it also doesn't play off the PlayStation brand and as much as GAF likes to pretend, the PSP has sold incredibly well, the name has value, and massive value in Japan.

Maybe it'll be something other than PSP2, but it won't be NGP.

Sipowicz

Banned
StuBurns said:
I loved how they claimed it doesn't stand for that anymore despite keeping the initials, moronic.

There's no way the system will be NGP, not only does that mean NeoGeo Pocket, Not Good, it also doesn't play off the PlayStation brand and as much as GAF likes to pretend, the PSP has sold incredibly well, the name has value, and massive value in Japan.

Maybe it'll be something other than PSP2, but it won't be NGP.

but the psp doesn't sell well outside of japan, and that's where the money is

lorddct

If they ever make a PS4 I hope they find a way to integrate the NGP with it.

I think games like clue, madden and everything would be more fun for local multiplayer if you have that option.

So for Madden.

Playbook selection is on the NGP so you can share with your friends what play we will run, and if there isn't it uses the screen to use.

Or For a board game like clue. So each player has there own touchscreen paper that they can mark what they have seen and everything like that.

I think something like this would greatly help the multiplayer party games for the next PS which PS3 really lacks on.

Vinci

Danish
lorddct said:
If they ever make a PS4 I hope they find a way to integrate the NGP with it.

I think games like clue, madden and everything would be more fun for local multiplayer if you have that option.

So for Madden.

Playbook selection is on the NGP so you can share with your friends what play we will run, and if there isn't it uses the screen to use.

Or For a board game like clue. So each player has there own touchscreen paper that they can mark what they have seen and everything like that.

I think something like this would greatly help the multiplayer party games for the next PS which PS3 really lacks on.

I just want more local multiplayer gaming next generation. I'm cool with online and all, but it would be nice to have more variety and options for people to hang out and play with.

Sipowicz said:
but the psp doesn't sell well outside of japan, and that's where the money is

I'm pretty sure no one will have trouble recognizing the system as the successor to the psp regardless of what it is called. It will definitely have playstation in the name.

Sipowicz

Banned
StuBurns said:
More than fifty million units isn't good sales outside of Japan?

yeah, maybe at the start when it was hot shit. i dont think being called the psp2 is going to do it any favours these days

calling it psp2 would associate with the worst selling console of this gen and the (unfairly) maligned psp that gets constatntly dissed by all the "games journalists" and sells badly in the west

now is not the time for them to be playing it safe with the name. they need to call it something mad, at the very least outside of japan

StuBurns

Banned
Sipowicz said:
yeah, maybe at the start when it was hot shit. i dont think being called the psp2 is going to do it any favours these days

calling it psp2 would associate with the worst selling console of this gen and the (unfairly) maligned psp that gets constatntly dissed by all the "games journalists" and sells badly in the west

now is not the time for them to be playing it safe with the name. they need to call it something mad, at the very least outside of japan
When you say worst selling, you're ignore PS3 and 360? PSP has sold more than both so far.

kuroshiki

Sipowicz said:

I wouldn't call PSP a worst selling console of this gen. Actually far from it.

Sipowicz

Banned
StuBurns said:
When you say worst selling, you're ignore PS3 and 360? PSP has sold more than both so far.

nah man, i was talking about the PS3. I don't feel that putting playstation in it's name will help differentiate it from the PS3/PSP or help it set out its own identity (which i think is vital)

the hardware is amazing but i've felt for a while that sony need some good marketing and some great, unique content on the platform to really make a mark. so far they've completely fucked up with the the terrible content they've shown but they've still got a chance with the marketing

Gorgon

BritBloke916 said:
Your 4 year old computer came with a Blu-Ray disk drive? Nice!

That's your notion of the PS3 beying "ahead of its time"? Yeah, I guess than that every piece of hardware that comes out with something "new" is "ahead of its time". Very useful definition, that one.

kuroshiki said:

They wouldn't, as long as games would still carry two different settings for both variants. didn't they increase the RAM of the PSP with one of the revisions? Same thing. Personaly, I coudn't care less for an "updated" PS3.

Vinci said:
I just want more local multiplayer gaming next generation. I'm cool with online and all, but it would be nice to have more variety and options for people to hang out and play with.

Im not expecting this, if anything it feels like it is being phased out. As someone who loves local mulitplayer/co-op and doesn't like online i hate this direction.

Durante

Gorgon said:
What exactely made the PS3 ahead of it's time?
Cell, or more accurately, the lack of an automatically managed coherent cache. Look back on the architecture 10 years from now and you'll see just how far ahead it was.
For many HPC workloads it still achieves better performance/transistor than anything else out there.

Whether that makes it a great chip for a game console in 2006 is, of course, debatable.

patsu

The ability for (general purpose) CPU and GPU to work seamlessly together in the same graphics pipeline is pretty forward thinking. See MLAA.

trying my hardest to think of why a PS3.5 would make sense. as said before, it's going to fragment the market needlessly.

reduction in size, power consumption, etc. is all awesome and i'm for it, but introducing a PS3 that can do things older PS3's can't? we've already gone through the opposite. [see: BC in original units]

Zoe said:
They run them like shit though. Can barely run the stock OS apps on the bf's 3G anymore.

Seriously. My mother, who isn't picky at all, now hates her iPhone 3G because it is so slow. This strategy isn't flawless. Sony should be smart.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Takao said:
For PC, yes, I simply forgot about it since it has no real relevance to me, but is a viable platform for third parties. For WiiHD I think it would be a sentiment shared with third parties. The studios will have been developing for the other platforms for so long that any different hardware would likely make it a poisonous wasteland for things when you consider the amount of consoles Microsoft and Sony will has sold by that point.
It would likely be easier to port stuff to than the NGP and PS3.

Zoe

jonnybryce said:
Seriously. My mother, who isn't picky at all, now hates her iPhone 3G because it is so slow. This strategy isn't flawless. Sony should be smart.

It'd be one thing if there was a separate firmware and apps designated as 4G only, but as it is now, it's making earli(er) adopters hate having to deal with it. All the bf can talk about now is how much he wants to ditch Apple and go for an Android phone.

mrklaw said:
You see that chart all over the place :)
Assuming it is correct, 1080p would be enough for 100" screens. That's around the sweet spot for front projection. 120"+ Is heavy duty enthusiast and I'd argue the numbers are too small to support a new format

4K is not a new format, it's a HDMI 1.4 standard. 1440 is a HDMI 1.3 standard. Again, with 4K as a supported standard in TV/monitors the display may not be 4K but will support an input from a 4K source. Other benefits may come with 4K and there are accepted uses for true 4K at this time that support the HUGE cost of these bleeding edge monitors.

ISF states the the most important aspects of picture quality are (in order): 1) contrast ratio, 2) color saturation, 3) color accuracy, 4) resolution.

And I'll grant that at 60 my eyes have degraded from 20/10 to something around 20/20 and my ability to see the difference between higher resolutions is probably due now to how well the original film/video was done and is only loosely tied to resolution in that at higher resolutions the original cameras probably did 1-4 above better.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/display-formats-technology/audioholics-hdmi-1-3-q-a

What HDMI 1.3 provided over 1.2

Higher resolutions up to 1440 And HDMI 1.4 adds 4K and 3-D

image_preview

Higher framerates up to 120Hz

In terms of audio, HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™

HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.

By implementing the xvYCC color space standard, HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection and supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals. This is because the xvYCC color space standard defines colors by means of an algorithm that can specify any color in nature. This lets HDTVs display colors more accurately and with more natural and vivid colors. The first TV to use this standard was the Sony Bravia, which premiered at the 2006 CES in Las Vegas.

According to announcements by manufacturers, new high-definition DVD formats (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) and game machines (including the Sony PLAYSTATION® 3) will make use of capabilities added in HDMI 1.3.

New monitors/TVs will be used for more than just viewing TV in a living room at normal viewing distances. Video conferencing and games at desktop distances can benefit from 4K. Displaying pictures in a living room has had me zoom in and walk closer to the screen. Pictures are many times 4K resolution and displayable via a PS3 with zoom.

I can stop a 1080P home movie on an individual frame with the PS3. I do notice resolution differences there. Seems that the calculations for resolution also include the brain not being able to process the extra information in higher resolution moving pictures. This might also explain screen door complaints. I.E. Stationary pixel elements visible when the chart says people can't resolve 1080P at those distances.

Almost any digital photographer or audio engineer can tell you that it's always easier, and usually better, to start out with more resolution than needed and then resample down if necessary. So, a 4K source will look better sampled down to 1080p HDTV than direct 1080p HD video.

Why do we take pictures at 15 mega pixel resolution when they are printed at 200dpi?

4K X 2K players

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/1042274-4k-x-2k-blue-ray-players.html

Thruway said:
Slimmer Profile
8X Bluray
1 TB HD
1 Gig Ram
$299
Fall 2011 or Early 2012

Durante said:
Cell, or more accurately, the lack of an automatically managed coherent cache. Look back on the architecture 10 years from now and you'll see just how far ahead it was.
For many HPC workloads it still achieves better performance/transistor than anything else out there.

Whether that makes it a great chip for a game console in 2006 is, of course, debatable.

patsu said:
(with editing) The ability for general purpose SPEs and GPU to work seamlessly together acting like an internally firmware programmable GPU would not be possible with other GPU packages. It's pretty forward thinking. See MLAA.

The design of the SPEs - GPU to work seamlessly together did not support, at launch, an efficient OpenGL cross platform library of calls. The PS3 required low level incompatible with other platform GPU calls. This slowed development on the PS3.

Once developers got up to speed with development engines a benefit of the PS3 CPU and GPU design was as patsu said, MLAA. Another was deferred shader rendering (implemented in a PS3 game engine in 2008) which decreases memory usage and increases available bandwidth. Tile Based Deferred Rendering is used in the NGP GPU for the same reason. With a more expensive GPU available in 2005 that supported OpenGL, the advanced features like MLAA and deferred shader rendering would not have been possible, couldn't have been added with PS3 firmware changes or game engine development. (didn't research this so I'm guessing here).

More memory in the PS3, faster blu-ray drives, larger Hard Disk, wireless N, 10X gigabit Lan port can be added to a PS3.5. But I see too many issues in replacing the GPU. (Putting the cell and RSX on the same die and improving how the combination accesses memory maybe. 20nm is going to change some design thinking. I expect a PS3.5, if coming, will be released with/when 20nm is available.)

Adding a couple of SPEs to the PS3 or enabling the 8th yes. It would still be 100% compatible and developers can provide for higher resolutions or frame rates for 3.5 models. Sony can have an upgraded XMB for the 3.5 models.

I would guess that OpenGL is now supported in the PS3. The first version of OpenGL for the PS3 was according to reports buggy and slow. That has probably been corrected.

OpenGL is needed to support a webkit port and most likely PS Suite ports to the PS3. A PS4 will have to support OpenGL efficiently.

mr_toa

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
trying my hardest to think of why a PS3.5 would make sense. as said before, it's going to fragment the market needlessly.

reduction in size, power consumption, etc. is all awesome and i'm for it, but introducing a PS3 that can do things older PS3's can't? we've already gone through the opposite. [see: BC in original units]

+1 don't go there Sony! Anyone has some success stories about Console producers delivering mid-term upgrades to their core product enhancing specs?

First thing I thought when Sony announced the NGP, was that they just needed to add HDMI output, ability to link to a DS3 via Bluetooth (as the PSPgo) and I’d be one happy camper never to buy a home console again. So yes, the PS3&NGP combination could very likely be Sony’s “PS4”

mr_toa said:
+1 don't go there Sony! Anyone has some success stories about Console producers delivering mid-term upgrades to their core product enhancing specs?

First thing I thought when Sony announced the NGP, was that they just needed to add HDMI output, ability to link to a DS3 via Bluetooth (as the PSPgo) and I’d be one happy camper never to buy a home console again. So yes, the PS3&NGP combination could very likely be Sony’s “PS4”

You see that also. PS3 - NGP or S1 combination being a PS4 as far as multi-media with the PS3 - NGP being a PS4 for games. PS3 - Move being a clumsy version of a PS3 - NGP.

I've read and can't remember where of the S1 being used as keyboard and touchscreen input for 2011 Sony web enabled TVs and BLu-ray players. Same applies to the PS3.

Question becomes is there a need for more memory or speed in the PS3 to support this, are there design constraints now?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
It would be interesting if NGP could hold off the release of PS4 for a while. I seriously doubt it though.

Zaptruder

Banned
Given that 1080p provides optimum viewing from 10-11 feet away for a 110" screen...

I find it hard to fathom how much benefit a 4k resolution system can provide.

I mean, until we upgrade to wearable displays with an incredibly dense level of resolution, that can simultaneously provide full field of vision... it seems that any additional resolution is very much overkill.

I'm sure it'll make a difference to some people... but considering that most people are still on DVDs, I really can't see how compelling a difference it'd make for anyone but the most easily gullible tech heads.

Also, even if you expend the extra bandwidth on faster frame rates and 3D and all that... the film industry needs to upgrade their equipment all over again.

Given the severe lack of benefits versus the costs, I just don't see people bothering.

The technology continues to march on, but there's simply no market to support it. At least, again like I say, until someone comes up with a viable mass-consumer wearable display.

It's like speaker manufacturers trying to sell their stuff on the basis of 'now capable of reproducing signal frequencies up to 50,000 Hz accurately.'

More people are served by upgrading their glass perscriptions than by getting more resolution.

Zaptruder said:
Given that 1080p provides optimum viewing from 10-11 feet away for a 110" screen...

I find it hard to fathom how much benefit a 4k resolution system can provide.

It's like speaker manufacturers trying to sell their stuff on the basis of 'now capable of reproducing signal frequencies up to 50,000 Hz accurately.'

More people are served by upgrading their glass perscriptions than by getting more resolution.

The reason for "reproducing signal frequencies up to 50,000 Hz accurately." is that you can be sure that the low frequencies we can feel and not hear all the way up to the maximum that we can hear are in a linear fully supported range. Going off to either end beyond what we can hear insures this. The same applies to video.

Edit: imagine an explosion occurring on the screen, you should be able to feel the infra-red from the fire, the thump from the low frequency explosion. That is realism. We currently do not support this just like smell-a-vision is not currently supported. In my home theater Jurassic park is reproduced (water in glass showing vibration rings) at least when my wife allows.

TwIsTeD

God if Sony was smart and actually followed a slightly modified iOS device upgrade plan they would either be out of business or back to market dominance.

They get me every year for a new iPhone and now a new iPad.... the computers I`ll hold back on but the price point makes it easier to slap down the cash for it

Zaptruder

Banned
jeff_rigby said:
The reason for "reproducing signal frequencies up to 50,000 Hz accurately." is that you can be sure that the low frequencies we can feel and not hear all the way up to the maximum that we can hear are in a linear fully supported range. Going off to either end beyond what we can hear insures this. The same applies to video.

You've fully bought into the bullshit of the audio industry.

Also, you fail at reading comprehension.

Top Bottom