• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent: convert TV commercials into interactive PlayStation Move games & More.

onQ123

Sony Patent for adding ads inside of Shows already recorded by replacing props with real products as you watch the show.

Dynamic replacement of cinematic stage props in program content

Abstract
Stage props, such as consumer products, in legacy program content are replaced with dynamically replaceable assets.

Such assets can be used for advertising purposes in that images of different products and services can be inserted therein and are changeable via a network.

Such assets may be created by identifying props in the content for replacement, determining location and visual effects information for each identified prop, and creating a reference file that includes the content and the location and the visual effects information associated with each identified prop.

A value may be determined for each asset or advertisers may bid on the assets to yield additional advertising revenue channel for the content. The content may be played back by broadcasting the content and reference information designating parameters for inserting the assets into the content.
Replacement images, such as images of products, may be obtained via a network. The visual appearance of each replacement image may be modified using visual effects information so the inserted objects appear natural as if they were part of the original scene.

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The present invention advantageously addresses the needs above as well as other needs by providing a method for use in modifying program content. The method comprises the steps of: identifying props in the content for replacement; determining location information for each identified prop; determining visual effects information associated with each identified prop; and creating a reference file that includes the content and the location and the visual effects information associated with each identified prop.

Another embodiment of the present invention provides a system for modifying program content. The system comprises: means for identifying props in the content for replacement; means for determining location information for each identified prop; means for determining visual effects information associated with each identified prop; and means for creating a reference file that includes the content and the location and the visual effects information associated with each identified prop.

Another embodiment of the present invention provides a method for use in generating program content. The method comprises the steps of: providing content and one or more reference files that index location and visual effects information associated with one or more replaceable props in the content; obtaining one or more replacement images for the props to be replaced; modifying a visual appearance of each replacement image using the visual effects information; and inserting the one or more replacement images in the content to replace the one or more replaceable props.

Another embodiment of the present invention provides a system for playing program content. The system comprises: means for providing the content and reference file that includes the location and visual effects information associated with one or more replaceable props in the content; means for obtaining one or more replacement images; means for modifying a visual appearance of each replacement image using the visual effects information; and means for inserting the one or more replacement images in the content to replace the one or more replaceable props.

Another embodiment of the present invention provides a computer program product comprising a medium for embodying a computer program for input to a computer and a computer program embodied in the medium for causing the computer to perform steps of: accessing a reference file that includes program content and location and visual effects information associated with one or more replaceable props in the content; obtaining one or more replacement images; modifying a visual appearance of each replacement image using the visual effects information; and inserting the one or more replacement images in the content to replace the one or more replaceable props.

A better understanding of the features and advantages of the present invention will be obtained by reference to the following detailed description of the invention and accompanying drawings which set forth an illustrative embodiment in which the principles of the invention are utilized.

Sony Patent for adding ads inside of Shows already recorded by replacing props with real products as you watch the show.

The next couple of years are going to be interesting. Both Microsoft and Sony are targeting China also...Sony so far with R&D for home grown PS3 games (2011) and recently with Microsoft partnering with BesTV for IPTV programming. Both can soon market game consoles in China. What I in error predicted for the last refresh of both PS3 and Xbox 360 is happening in 2014 for the Xbox 360 (diskless, ARM IP and features similar to the XB1 including DLNA-RVU and sharing resources over the home network like Disk drives (already planned for Windows 8) according to two rumors and likely is happening to the PS3 (Nothing rumored for it except a 22nm Cell).

Xbox 361 and PS3.5 coming in 2014 to support CE features standard in 2014+ platforms and using the patent you posted.

onQ123

The next couple of years are going to be interesting. Both Microsoft and Sony are targeting China also...Sony so far with R&D for home grown games (2011) and recently with Microsoft partnering with BesTV for IPTV programming. Both can soon market game consoles in China. What I in error predicted for the last refresh of both PS3 and Xbox 360 is happening in 2014 for the Xbox 360 (diskless, ARM IP and features similar to the XB1 including DLNA-RVU) according to two rumors and likely is happening to the PS3 (Nothing rumored for it except a 22nm Cell).

Maybe PlayStation TV will be a PS3 with no blu-ray drive.

Maybe PlayStation TV will be a PS3 with no blu-ray drive.
My guess is a PS3.5 with no drive but includes the camera in the Sony patent; one camera with IR intensity used for depth. It should have the same features found in the PS4 as those are required by Energy Star and market conditions. Pretty much confirmed for the Xbox 361 from multiple rumors and China opening up to game consoles (Changes the end of life for both last generation game consoles) which Sony has known about since before 2011.

You can go through the patent catalogue of any company and find some ridiculous stuff. This isn't a big deal.
It's a patent supporting a method of targeting ads in programming to individual tastes. This is not just SONY.

We have resistance to the invasion of our living room but interactive games during commercials might allow the cameras (Kinect like) to be used...That is the first step. Second step is to allow gesture recognition during commercials to buy products...eventually we will be comfortable with head/eye tracking and individual preference cookies in our TVs allowing commercials and even advertising in movies to be targeted to us individually.

onQ123 posts in this thread are supporting a planned implementation by Sony. Take note of the products at CES 2014......the CE hardware will support this. When it gets implemented is another matter...I am always projecting earlier than it actually happens...this can be years away.

Edit: For those that will never allow a Kinect like camera we have MOVE accessories which while still using a camera can be marketed by Sony as a greater guarantee of video privacy.

My guess is a PS3.5 with no drive but includes the camera in the Sony patent; one camera with IR intensity used for depth. It should have the same features found in the PS4 as those are required by Energy Star and market conditions. Pretty much confirmed for the Xbox 361 from multiple rumors and China opening up to game consoles (Changes the end of life for both last generation game consoles) which Sony has known about since before 2011.

If Sony can make a small PS3 (Maybe Cell and RSX at 22nm) that i can connect to my PS4 for Backwards compatibility I'd buy one in a heartbeat,

FeiRR

Banned
Second step is to allow gesture recognition during commercials to buy products...eventually we will be comfortable with head/eye tracking and individual preference cookies in our TVs allowing commercials and even advertising in movies to be targeted to us individually.

I'm so glad I removed television from my life many years ago.

Stimpack

If they're already going to show ads, I don't really care if they change the ads. Now, if they can program in a virtual Jeff Gerstmann to read all of the ads to me....

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm so glad I removed television from my life many years ago.

This has nothing to do with television... Unless you mean a tv itself? Which doesn't matter much anymore since that computer monitor you are using does the same thing as new tvs

If Sony can make a small PS3 (Maybe Cell and RSX at 22nm) that i can connect to my PS4 for Backwards compatibility I'd buy one in a heartbeat,
For Sony and the PS3, it's much harder for "Cell" to be used with a HSA ARM SoC to support the same as the Xbox 360/ARM. It's either a Cell-RSX or using a Sony patent for a MPA (Multi-Processor Archetecture) Cell that can be 2.5D attached to a HSA ARM SoC. Another possible for the memory here.

The RSX is not a modern GPU, uses too much power and would be hard to integrate and support the features required that are found in the PS4 like APD, instant game, low power IPTV, AOAC.....

The Sony Cell MPA patent is Dec 2010 and Sony started R&D in China for home grown China games Jan 2011. Goto of PC watch reported early 2011 in an interview with Sony, that they were skipping the 32/28nm node for Cell. July 2011 ARM claims Mali GPU to rival PS3, Xbox 360 in 18 months?
Now:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Imagination-announces-PowerVR-G6630----up-to-60-times-the-graphics-prowess-of-current-iPhones-and-iPads_id36770 said:
The Rogue Power VR G6630 GPU can reach over one TFLOPS graphics processing power (iPad 4 maxes out at around 76.8 GFLOPS throughput), and supports all the latest graphics standard editions, including some models which will support Microsoft's latest DirectX 11.1, that we can only find in Windows 8 now. PowerVR is really stepping it up,

Microsoft Playready and DTCP-IP implications

Early 2011 Sony announced that they were going with Microsoft's Playready DRM. Microsoft’s PlayReady page shows that Sony can allow users to download movies and begin watching them instantly, stream media to devices around the home (Using DTCP-IP and DLNA), and even side-load content from, say, a PC (XB1 and PS4 too?) to continue watching on their mobile device.

Both the PS4 and XB1 are AOAC platforms and likely will support both DLNA-RVU client and server modes. Playready DRM supports multiple use cases as well as likely being the HTML5 <video> API DRM standard proposed by Microsoft-Netflix-Google to the W3C.

The PS4 and XB1 would be the gateway device to download movies as rentals or purchases. Once on the Hard disk they can be streamed at any time to a DLNA client that supports DLNA and DTCP-IP DRM. Windows (8) platforms, according to the FCC, can also act as DVRs for Mandated by the FCC Cable TV DLNA gateway cable boxes and stream to DLNA Clients that support DTCP-IP, likely the PS4 and XB1 will support DVR functionality as NRT (Non Realtime Transmission) demands a DVR like ability.

Playready DRM supports many use cases and allows the XB1 and PS4 to be the center for Home Media. Music, Pictures and Movies including home movies would be served from the Next generation game consoles. Low power AOAC allows listening for PnP DLNA server requests as well as incoming Skype calls.

DLNA server and DVR should work with the AMD APU off (including Jaguar CPUs) with GDDR5 in self refresh on the PS4; in other words all ARM code on both consoles.

This is in keeping with the Xbox one and Xbox 361, everything in one box connected to one TV input and Sony's it only does everything themes.

We haven't heard anything about the Xbox1 having an ARM chip like the PS4.
The primary difference between the two is the XB1 has ARM IP in the one chip with the AMD APU. The PS4 has ALL the ARM IP in the second custom chip. Both use ARM for low power modes and AOAC.

This makes the PS4 slightly more secure as the Second custom chip is a SoC with all IO in it and that follows ARM TEE recommendations.

We might be getting a better handle on why Microsoft named their Chip Kryptos. The Trustzone ARM (cryptography) CPU is in the XB1 custom APU. Kryptos is an encrypted sculpture by American artist Jim Sanborn located on the grounds of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in Langley, Virginia. Someone might have thought it was ironic, they have worked with the CIA.

Playready was released as a Mobile DRM likely because ARM Trustzone was available only on mobile platforms but it now supports CE platforms and TVs. A good article on Netflix HD DRM support using playready confirms TEE level DRM needed. "the entire end-to-end chain must be DRM-enabled. That means decoded and uncompressed frames, audio, and device secrets must only exist in 'firewalled,' protected memory that the OS can't get access to, the decoder can only exist in a trusted execution environment, and HDCP must be used for the stream to be output over HDMI.

What it boils down to is that Netflix requires Microsoft PlayReady DRM compliance across every tier of hardware before it will allow HD streams to playback."
The same should be true for any Playready DRM implementation including the PS4 and XB1.

Encripted Media Extensions for HTML5 <video> supported by the next version of Playready beyond version 1 released 9/2013 and created by Microsoft-Netflix-Google were published by the W3C Oct 31, 2013. They are still draft status.

It looks like Playready is not ready to play and is needed to support DTCP-IP which is required for DLNA. So screw up in the Sony marketing department with Microsoft also not ready to support Playready features needed for DLNA? Version 1 of Playready was released 9/2013 and likely neither console supports DLNA at launch.

From the list of Playready licensees, Playready DRM will be used from the Cable box DLNA-RVU gateway platform to the DLNA-RVU client (DTCP-IP) and in the master agreement list it looks like all TV companies will support it.

Again the FCC has mandated DLNA-RVU support by Cable companies for June 2014.

PS3 now supports Playready and does not have a ARM Trustzone processor but it does support TEE level DRM using the Hypervisor and embedded keys. We can speculate that RAM is encrypted to protect it (no IOMMU to protect memory). The Verizon Redbox just recently showed up on the PS3 XMB likely because Playready reached 1.0 status Sept 2013 and it uses Playready DRM. With a 30 meg size it likely does not use much of the PS3 software stack. I'd guess that only APIs to critical routines are supported by the PS3 at this time.

satam55

Banned
The primary difference between the two is the XB1 has ARM IP in the one chip with the AMD APU. The PS4 has ALL the ARM IP in the second custom chip. Both use ARM for low power modes and AOAC.

This makes the PS4 slightly more secure as the Second custom chip is a SoC with all IO in it and that follows ARM TEE recommendations.

[/URL]
Is the PS4's OS gonna run off the ARM chip, like on the WiiU?

Is the PS4's OS gonna run off the ARM chip, like on the WiiU?
My impression is that the key routines are in the second custom chip. Depends I guess if you are looking at the PS4 as a Game machine or a own the Living room entertainment device.

I'm more interested in what I just uncovered. Sony could not update the DLNA portion of the PS3 until Playready was ready...that just happened 9/2013. DTCP-IP is supported by Playready and necessary for DLNA-RVU. HTML5 <video> DRM is still not ready and would be part of the browser upgrade too. Expect a big upgrade to the PS3 soon.

Microsoft is going to take care of insuring Playready is secure on individual platforms like the PS3. When connected on-line they can Revoke/disable individual features if they detect tampering with Playready DRM. This eliminates Sony concerns with security and might support the rumored return of Other OS Linux on the PS3 and Linux on the PS4.

Sony's Augmented Reality / Virtual Reality / Mixed Reality Headset Patent

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...mputer"&OS="sony+computer"&RS="sony+computer"
2014 for XB1, same for PS4?

xboxglasses.jpg

Top Bottom