• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patents VR controller with finger tracking

Mista

Banned
psvr-2-controller.png

The patent for a ‘Controller Device‘ (spotted by UploadVR) shows a device capable of tracking the user’s fingers, similar to existing VR controllers from Oculus and Valve.

According to the patent, the controller described can detect “the proximity or contact of a finger and outputs a finger detection signal indicating the state of proximity or contact of the finger.”

In theory, this would allow users to ‘grab’ in-game objects by grasping the controller, similar to how existing VR controllers work.

On the front of the device are four face buttons and what could either be a fifth larger button or an analogue stick.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Pavin' the way for PS VR2. By 2030 I hope all console controllers offer a split/akimbo option. It's way more comfortable.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Gotta love patent English:

[...] and a sensor support part that supports the sensor units. The sensor support part supports the sensor units [...]

ManaByte

I don't get when we still don't have special gloves for VR controls.

It's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think VR.

Void VR doesn’t even need gloves and can perfectly detect your finger movements on each hand. Avengers: Damage Control was AMAZING due to that.

Alx

Because different people have different hand sizes. You want a one size fits all approach for a mass market device.

Also complex devices like articulated gloves are expensive. VR gloves with true force feedback have existed for decades (I tried one during a student trip 20 years ago, with true feeling of grabbing an object between your fingers), but they're much too complex to be mass produced at a reasonable cost (and decent sturdiness).

Wonko_C

People are already too lazy to wear a headset, gloves on top of that would make things worse.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
The problem with gloves is that it will be hard to make a one size fits all product

Maybe something that just goes over fingers? Like a stretchy material with sensors on the ends.

I don't know. I'm no expert :messenger_grinning_smiling: Just seems like something that would already be out by now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Gloves would suck. You need stick to walk and perform other actions. You need buttons for actions, triggers. You can't air guitar everything

Wonko_C

I want gloves that can simulate grabbing solid objects, weight, touching walls, etc.
Like being a mime but you can't really push against surfaces because there's an invisible force generated by the gloves.

But maybe that's too sci-fi or physically impossible to exist. :p

Xenon

tenor.gif

Can it track this finger?

Just reveal your new console already

Last edited:
Top Bottom