• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Kh3 better have the meatiest trailer ever, I want dialogue, I want cutscenes , I want to see characters. So help me god if it's just sora Donald and goofy ok mount Olympus or the same are in the tangled word I'll lose it. Like literally lose it, I will derail the shit outta that Sony e3 conference thread lol

LOL

Yeah can't wait too see Sony Japan Studio's JRPG...

It might (probably lol) be a too optimistic to see both so yeah it may or may not happen, but I'm not sure what that has to do with it besides being snarky,
whether someone believes they are making one or not

S-E apparently are relatively close to having a new gameplay trailer ready for FF7R if they were talking about possibly showing one in recent interviews and E3 is a way better time for that than that smaller venue especially with Sony on board to heavily promote the game as they did at both it's unveil at E3 and at PSX, and both KH remaster sets will have been released by the time E3 happens and it's been a while since KH3's last showing.

So last year between July and December we only had The Last Guardian

What exclusive(s) do you think we will get the second half of 2017?

I think you mean The Last Guardian, Bound, Tomorrow Children, PSVR Worlds, Playroom VR, Driveclub VR, Here They Lie, RIGS, Until Dawn RoB, Hustle Kings VR and Super Stardust Ultra VR.

It'd be nice if people wouldn't just ignore most of Sony's first party games the same way list wars clowns do.

This year we'll probably get Uncharted TLL, Gran Turismo Sport, Knack 2, Everybody's Golf 7, Wipeout Omega Collection and Patapon Remastered. Maybe one or two more announced at E3. With Starblood Arena and Farpoint coming out in the next couple of months, you'd think they'd at least have some VR game announcements coming.

I think you mean The Last Guardian, Bound, Tomorrow Children, PSVR Worlds, Playroom VR, Driveclub VR, Here They Lie, RIGS, Until Dawn RoB, Hustle Kings VR and Super Stardust Ultra VR.

It'd be nice if people wouldn't just ignore most of Sony's first party games the same way list wars clowns do.

This year we'll probably get Uncharted TLL, Gran Turismo Sport, Knack 2, Everybody's Golf 7, Wipeout Omega Collection and Patapon Remastered. Maybe one or two more announced at E3. With Starblood Arena and Farpoint coming out in the next couple of months, you'd think they'd at least have some VR game announcements coming.

Lol. Ignoring 90% of their releases -- is this the reverse "but 90% digital!" argument?!

Sony wanted to ship GT Sport, Horizon & TLG during holiday season last year. They're willing to delay games, but it's not like they planned to not have anything last fall. Unfortunately, game dev was hard.

So imo, Sony would probably want to ship at least one non-delayed major exclusive this fall.

Whether or not it actually hits is of course, debatable since Sony has failed to hit release dates for their big fall exclusives more often than not this gen, but I definitely suspect that one of the big three showcases last E3 (GoW, DG, Detroit) are aiming to hit this fall.

So much this^

Sony wanted to ship GT Sport, Horizon & TLG during holiday season last year. They're willing to delay games, but it's not like they planned to not have anything last fall. Unfortunately, game dev was hard.

So imo, Sony would probably want to ship at least one non-delayed major exclusive this fall.

Whether or not it actually hits is of course, debatable since Sony has failed to hit release dates for their big fall exclusives more often than not this gen, but I definitely suspect that one of the big three showcases last E3 (GoW, DG, Detroit) are aiming to hit this fall.

I don't see any of those games being ready for a fall 2017 release.
We've seen barely anything of them with absolutely zero hands on previews yet.

Even at E3 with playable demo's, I think it's a bit too close, especially for DG and Detroit which would be completely battered by 3rd party onslaughts.

My inclination is Uncharted Lost Legacy and GT Sport will be the big tentpoles for the end of 2017.

FelipeMGM

well, if you are looking only for retail games for PS4 sure, but Sony published 11 games from July to December last year

Kill Strain (July)
Bound (August)
The Tomorrow Children (September)
TLG (December)

RIGS (PSRV launch title)
Driveclub VR (PSRV launch title)
VR Worlds (PSRV launch title)
Tumble VR (PSRV launch title)
Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood (PSRV launch title)
Playroom VR (PSRV launch title)
Here They Lie (PSRV launch title)

OléGunner;232097569 said:
We've seen barely anything of them with absolutely zero hands on previews yet.

Big games don't get major preview/trailer/etc updates till E3.

TLG, Horizon, all went dark in terms of showing zero new content for an entire year with zero hands-on preview till their next E3.

Not Drake

OléGunner;232097569 said:

I feel like all those games are pretty far into development based on the last projects by these studios. The fact we haven't seen too much of them is maybe Sony wants shorter hype cycles to avoid situations when they announced games too early and couldn't deliver on-time. It feels like Horizon was the first good sign of things to come. The game was in development for 5-6 years, but was announced 20~~ months before launch which I believe is very healthy. I can see all those games being ready this year.

Whether Sony wants to launch big hit titles during Fall 2017 is another matter. I can see them relying on 3rd party behemoths this year, give 1st party games a little bit more time and launch them early 2018. Just like they did last two years.

All I 'know' right now is I really want to play God of War.

What the heck were SP doing after they shipped First Light?, did they have a failed project or something?

It's not even been three years since First Light. =P

I'd assume a sequel would have come out already or by the year's end, but a new AAA IP takes a lot longer. It took Horizon: Zero Dawn six years to come out.

Yeah, I was wondering if I was going crazy because way more than Last Guardian came out, haha.

God of War isn't coming out this year. Sony's big hitters come out in the Feb. to June time period. God of War will be Feb. or March 2018 ala Horizon.

While a lot of their big games have come out in Q1/Q2 in recent years, they've always had release dates for the holidays.

2014 - The Order: 1886. That was delayed to February 2015.
2015 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. That was delayed to April 2016 (after being delayed to March).
2016 - Horizon: Zero Dawn. That was delayed to February 2017.

The intention wasn't originally to release them during Q1. God of War has usually release in March, but who knows yet if past is prologue. Maybe it is, maybe not. All I know is I want Spider-Man. xD

Something is telling me that Sucker Punch's title is still in (very) early development.

YL35IEZ.jpg

Furthermore, they just hired a lead writer (from Telltale Games) for the project and are now looking for a game writer:

https://twitter.com/bradkane7/status/836971277034258432
lol I doubt it. If that's the case, the game will come out in 2020. A 6 year timeframe. Likely a writer for their sequel of the new IP.

Not all devs are like Naughty Dog or Quantic Dream, where the story needs to have a clear foundation first before development of the game even starts in earnest. For those studios, without the story framework, there is no game.

But a majority of studios don't follow that.

Horizon's lead writer came in the 3rd year of the 6 year dev cycle of the project. Not to mention SP's project is at the very least, at the stage where there is a prototype playable, which means conceptually they've landed on the idea and core gameplay.

It's more likely than not SP has already fleshed out the concept of the game they want to make, but like a majority of AAA games, now need a lead writer to actually make their ideas has a proper narrative flow, character arc, etc instead of just a cloud of cool ideas.

Not all devs are like Naughty Dog or Quantic Dream, where the story needs to have a clear foundation first before development of the game even starts in earnest. For those studios, without the story framework, there is no game.

But a majority of studios don't follow that.

Horizon's lead writer came in the 3rd year of the 6 year dev cycle of the project. Not to mention SP's project is at the very least, at the stage where there is a prototype playable, which means conceptually they've landed on the idea and core gameplay.

It's more likely than not SP has already fleshed out the concept of the game they want to make, but like a majority of AAA games, now need a lead writer to actually make their ideas has a proper narrative flow, character arc, etc instead of just a cloud of cool ideas.
Yep.

Best thing they could've done imo.

This game was gonna be a hard sell to the public, at least now more people will try the game.
Yep.

eh....Horizon was slated to be release during the holidays but was delayed...

It released in the Spring. I don't think its original target is relevant. The Order and Uncharted 4 are in the same boat. Whether they did it on purpose or by accident, Sony has discovered that releasing their big third person action adventure games in the Spring is how to be successful...avoiding too much competition. They will continue that routine.

lol I doubt it. If that's the case, the game will come out in 2020. A 6 year timeframe. Likely a writer for their sequel of the new IP.

Hiring a new writer now if their game is aiming for late 2018 or maybe even a 2019 release doesn't seem unrealistic. If we assume their game doesn't ship for say two years, it could be as long as 16 or 18 months before everything is written and recorded.

Dabi

Hermen Hulst had this to say about Horizon after reaching the sales milestone.

“We’re thrilled that Horizon Zero Dawn has been embraced by critics and players alike. Developing the game was a labor of love, so it’s extremely satisfying to see that it elicits the same passion and enthusiasm from the gaming public that we felt during its development. This is only the beginning of Aloy’s story and our exploration of the world of Horizon Zero Dawn, with the team already hard at work on an expansion to the story.”

Expansion to the story. Reckon that means DLC; or is he simply saying they're working on the sequel, which will be an expansion to the story?

Icolin

Banned
Expansion to the story. Reckon that means DLC; or is he simply saying they're working on the sequel, which will be an expansion to the story?

It likely means DLC, but I think they're definitely in pre-production for the sequel, which I think will be an early PS5 game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hermen Hulst had this to say about Horizon after reaching the sales milestone.

“We’re thrilled that Horizon Zero Dawn has been embraced by critics and players alike. Developing the game was a labor of love, so it’s extremely satisfying to see that it elicits the same passion and enthusiasm from the gaming public that we felt during its development. This is only the beginning of Aloy’s story and our exploration of the world of Horizon Zero Dawn, with the team already hard at work on an expansion to the story.”

That is definitely DLC. He would have simply said 'sequel' if he was talking about a second game.

FelipeMGM

I mean, it probably means both at this point

A sequel is inevitable, but talking about the story like this atm likely means DLC too

sense

I maybe wrong but looks like Sony is more interested in doing standalone story expansions for its games than selling season passes or short dlc's. I welcome this move. Bloodborne, infamous, uncharted and now this. Not a lot of people want to hold on to a disc until dlc drops and hence may miss out or not bother if it requires the original disc. I know uncharted originally had a season pass and I took advantage of that so I will be getting the dlc for cheaper than the people that didn't have it but going forward even ND might not sell a season pass.

Zukkoyaki

I maybe wrong but looks like Sony is more interested in doing standalone story expansions for its games than selling season passes or short dlc's. I welcome this move. Bloodborne, infamous, uncharted and now this. Not a lot of people want to hold on to a disc until dlc drops and hence may miss out or not bother if it requires the original disc. I know uncharted originally had a season pass and I took advantage of that so I will be getting the dlc for cheaper than the people that didn't have it but going forward even ND might not sell a season pass.

I like the expansion approach as well. Being standalone usually means they're more fleshed out and more packed with content than your typical DLC. Also takes some of the pressure off of the devs to have to hit additional deadlines even after shipping the main game. The big thing though, at least in my opinion, is that it's a way to sell additional content without the negative PR often associated with season passes.

Honestly, I hope to see a new Horizon this gen. Two Horizons on the PS4 would be killer, especially since I got lucky to get a PS4 the same holiday season it released (surprise Christmas present).

I've gotta say that it's a valuable component in Sony's line-up. Not just because it's awesome, but because this isn't a game any of the studios have ever tackled. I guess I'm just echoing Kinda Funny on this, but it's true!

Lady Gaia

I also expect the sequel to be part of this generation. Among other reasons, I think GG have shown what they can do when given time to properly exploit a new piece of hardware. The success of Horizon should give them some negotiating room to get out of having to produce a launch title by turning around Horizon 2 in the next two years with refinements on the same engine. That would likely given them a year or two even before the new hardware launches to start dreaming and prototyping with the new technology. I'd expect their first PS5 title a year or two into the new generation when they can knock it out of the park.

Zukkoyaki

If Horizon is getting a legit expansion rather than just some standard DLC, I think the sequel will be PS5. The expansion will tide people over in the meantime.

But it also depends on when the PS5 comes out. If it's 2019... Then I think Horizon 2 is definitely on PS5. If it's 2020... Then I think it will be the PS4 generation's swan-song.

sense

If Horizon is getting a legit expansion rather than just some standard DLC, I think the sequel will be PS5. The expansion will tide people over in the meantime.

But it also depends on when the PS5 comes out. If it's 2019... Then I think Horizon 2 is definitely on PS5. If it's 2020... Then I think it will be the PS4 generation's swan-song.
Well ps4 is going to be supported no matter when the sequel comes. Sony will let people adopt new machines at their own pace. I see ps4 being supported for atleast 2 if not 3 years after ps5 comes. I honestly dont know how they are going to play out next gen. will they even have just ps5 exclusives at launch?

Bloodborne DLC wasn't standalone, but yea I hope we see more of those going foward.

Bloodborne DLC wasn't standalone, but yea I hope we see more of those going foward.

it was standalone but it was a sizable expansion....

i think most of sony's single player dlc are all sizable so far...especially when you compare them to 3rd party's (Ubisoft and WB Game's Single player DLCs are the worst)..

Well ps4 is going to be supported no matter when the sequel comes. Sony will let people adopt new machines at their own pace. I see ps4 being supported for atleast 2 if not 3 years after ps5 comes. I honestly dont know how they are going to play out next gen. will they even have just ps5 exclusives at launch?

In 2019/20? No way. Current gen will be 6-7 years old by then and starting to wind down, people (and developers) will be excited to move to the more powerful hardware and most importantly, Sony will want to repeat the PS4's huge success.

SamNW

Of course I understand why the realities of business for a corporation like Sony preclude it, but I would love for Guerilla to just never make another Horizon game. I haven't finished it yet—maybe the ending will change my mind—but I hate how common sequelization has become in AAA development and I would love to see them do something new again.

sense

I just think a lot of developers are just getting the handle for developing on these machines and it took longer than expected. hardware is not where the money is. Network, software and services are where Sony and other publishers are focusing on and where they make the most money. Hard stops to gens or fresh starts are very risky. I feel like PS4 pro is a test to see how they can play the next gen out. Games might look vastly better on ps5 but there won't be any exclusives from Sony for the first two years atleast imo. It is a crazy thought but there is no need for them to do a fresh start right away. People will probably pick up a ps5 for its features like it would run games vastly better, run vr better, faster load times, full backwards compatibility etc... and not necessarily for exclusive games at launch.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
The suspense regarding Sucker Punch is killing me.

Announcement​ this E3 or riot!

Do we have any inkling as to what kind of game SP is making? Is it that western-themed game with trains?

I'd really like to see more sci fi stuff. Like, space opera stuff.

Top Bottom