• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

I'd like to play an inFamous MMO... said no one. Ever.

In fact, I hope no one on the first party side of things is making an MMO. They suck.

Icolin

Banned

In fact, I hope no one on the first party side of things is making an MMO. They suck.

I have a problem with Sucker Punch doing it (if its true), but I don't have an inherit problem with a first party studio making a MMO or online focused game period.

So I was browsing reddit, as you do and saw this ..... I know I know, random reddit post but you never know.

https://www.reddit.com/r/infamous/comments/5znjwu/infamous_mmo_rumor_mill/

inFAMOUS MMO maybe?

I don't get it. Did anyone actually read the reddit post? All it says is there's a rumour of a superhero MMO in development by a new studio made up of former Paragon and Cryptic employees, with some former Sucker Punch employees on board as well, and the reddit poster really hopes it feels like Infamous. How does anyone get from there to "Infamous MMO"?

Reddit poster probably misunderstood with Crackdown 3 and he even doesn't know its XBO/PC, not PS4/PC. lol

Uh, that would make even less sense. Crackdown 3 isn't a MMO and it's being developed in the UK.

MMOs are terrible. They're horrible money black holes and most of them are not close to being successful. I'd rather Sony stay well away from that shit and focus on their strengths.

(Regardless of the fact that's obviously not what the Reddit post is about, but anyway).

Icolin

Banned
MMOs are terrible. They're horrible money black holes and most of them are not close to being successful. I'd rather Sony stay well away from that shit and focus on their strengths.

(Regardless of the fact that's obviously not what the Reddit post is about, but anyway).

Agreed, although I love me some DC Universe Online.

In the new Gameinformer coverage of The Lost Legacy, they hint that TLOU 2 might have had some solid production time so far:

Gameinformer said:
When the Naughty Dog team shot around ideas early on, creating a stand-alone experience wasn't an obvious approach from the start. At first, the team contemplated an Uncharted 5, but with much of the team focused on The Last of Us Part II's development, the idea was scrapped...

So I'm going to hold out for another sneak peak, in some form.

Dabi

In the new Gameinformer coverage of The Lost Legacy, they hint that TLOU 2 might have had some solid production time so far:

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Days Gone is probably further along than TLOU 2. The powers that be will probably look to space out these two titles to avoid the confusion. TLOU 2 is still looking like a 2019 if Days Gone does come out 2018.

*So we probably won't see it this E3*

FelipeMGM

I don't get it. Did anyone actually read the reddit post? All it says is there's a rumour of a superhero MMO in development by a new studio made up of former Paragon and Cryptic employees, with some former Sucker Punch employees on board as well, and the reddit poster really hopes it feels like Infamous. How does anyone get from there to "Infamous MMO"?

yeah, dont think a lot of people read that right. This MMO has nothing to do with Sucker Punch according to that post

I'm not expecting TLoU2 before 2019, personally. I think it and Death Stranding will be out that year and will be the PS4's big first-party swansongs. Sucker Punch's game could be 2018 or 2019; I expect it will be revealed this year but they won't mention a release date.

I'm not expecting TLoU2 before 2019, personally. I think it and Death Stranding will be out that year and will be the PS4's big first-party swansongs. Sucker Punch's game could be 2018 or 2019; I expect it will be revealed this year but they won't mention a release date.

Yeah, anyone else think we're coming to the end of big first-party announcements for the PS4? At this point we know what most of Sony's studios are working on now, and I don't think most of them will be able to get another game out for PS4 before the next system comes out.

I mean we have Sucker Punch, and maybe Guerrilla Games can get another one out before the PS4's life cycle ends, but I think that's about it. This doesn't mean we won't get smaller game announcements though. I fully expect a steady stream of those, but a ton of massive game announcements like the last two years? Not seeing it. This is probably the last E3 coming up with the potential of that.

Sucker Punch have been so tight lipped.
I'm really eager to see what they do next, talented bunch of devs right there.

My take; it's TLoU part II in 2019 and Death Stranding 2020.

The latter only entered full production this year so 3 years of dev time sounds like Kojima working pretty efficiently, especially as a noted stickler for perfection.
DS will be THE swan song of all swan songs like GoW II was for PS2 :)

Yeah, anyone else think we're coming to the end of big first-party announcements for the PS4? At this point we know what most of Sony's studios are working on now, and I don't think most of them will be able to get another game out for PS4 before the next system comes out.

I mean we have Sucker Punch, and maybe Guerrilla Games can get another one out before the PS4's life cycle ends, but I think that's about it. This doesn't mean we won't get smaller game announcements though. I fully expect a steady stream of those, but a ton of massive game announcements like the last two years? Not seeing it. This is probably the last E3 coming up with the potential of that.

Yeah I think Sony are tapped out on new 1st party stuff.
They've mostly played their hand, and of course it continues to be super effective in retaining mind share going forward.

With how insane it is making these complex games this gen, we can expect only 1-2 games out of any given 1st party studio for one hardware cycle.

wmcoFVj.png

LMAO missed this from a couple days ago, hilarious!

Dabi

I think Sony Japan is still up.

MCD250

Yeah, anyone else think we're coming to the end of big first-party announcements for the PS4?
From internal studios, it seems likely (though you can never truly know, I suppose). From external studios and developing partners, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were still a few 'big' games we haven't heard about.

delSai

Couldn't care less about a MMO, but i would definitely take a multiplayer VS, Twisted Metal-like Infamous. Big Arenas, 2v2/ 4 Player Free For All. Just a quick arena shooter with crazy mobility, dashing/flying and all that.

Will never happen but hey let me dream

Zukkoyaki

Assuming that the PS5 is out holiday 2019, then yes I agree that we have a pretty good idea at this point what Sony has lined up for the rest of the generation. I imagine that the only remaining unannounced projects are Sucker Punch and then maybe another From Software collaboration and something from Studio Japan.

But we live in a world where Sony is publishing an exclusive Spider-Man game with Insomniac. If that's possible, who the heck knows what they have up their sleeve.

Dabi

Best part is they'll probably start the next generation on fire. Wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dogs new IP, Horizon 2 and Project Sirens next project are within a year of the PS5's launch.

I'd be fine with it actually, ONLY if they based it off the evil ending of 2 though as it would make a ton of sence, but doubt that they will :/

I'm actually sad to hear they're likely done with inFamous. Making the evil ending of Second Son canon made the most sense to me going forward. Having Delsin as the final big bad might've been cool, especially since there would've sort of been an explanation for Cole coming back if Delsin tried to absorb his powers. It's a reach, but it's a story about superheroes, so they could've done whatever they wanted with it and it would've been fine.

Especially after that dope Paper Trails DLC.

Elfstruck

Maybe not first party, but according to Shuhei Yoshida: '' We have numerous unannounced titles in production. Please look forward to their announcements.''

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...s4-games-in-production-shuhei-yoshida-teases/

Icolin

Banned
Not really related to Sony, but I was just thinking that Ready at Dawn would be perfect for a Thor game. Character action like old school God of War (which Ready at Dawn worked on), and Ready at Dawn, like the other developers Marvel have partnered with, are coming off of a few commercially, and maybe critically, unsuccessful games, so making a game based on a Marvel IP would be a safe way to bounce back, especially commercially. Just a pie in the sky thought I had recently.

Best part is they'll probably start the next generation on fire. Wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dogs new IP, Horizon 2 and Project Sirens next project are within a year of the PS5's launch.

Add a Ratchet and Clank sequel and your thoughts mirror mine exactly.

Dabi

Not really related to Sony, but I was just thinking that Ready at Dawn would be perfect for a Thor game. Character action like old school God of War (which Ready at Dawn worked on), and Ready at Dawn, like the other developers Marvel have partnered with, are coming off of a few commercially, and maybe critically, unsuccessful games, so making a game based on a Marvel IP would be a safe way to bounce back, especially commercially. Just a pie in the sky thought I had recently

Aren't they working on a new ip?

Evilisk

Has this been brought up yet? (From the recent Vita thread)

“From henceforth as well, we’re going to continuing concentrating on the PS Vita and increase the number of younger [PS Vita] users,” Morita said. “This year, we also plan on developing an IP that’s aimed at children.”

Wasn't 100% sure if this was related to this thread, but Atsushi Morita is mentioned as head of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia in the article thread, and a quick look at MobyGames shows that Morita was credited most recently in Gravity Rush 2.

On TLOU2's state of readiness thing...

Honestly, it's hard to say. Thing is, ND was one of the most efficient and fast-paced studios last gen, what's with them releasing games on a 2-year cycle consistently.

Obviously, current gen stuff take longer in average and we haven't seen what a full dev cycle from ND looks like yet in earnest.

Uncharted 4's reboot was the one that severely affected the overall sense of how fast their current-gen production pipeline looks like, because parts of the game went back to pre-production, some parts of it are more matured than others, etc etc.

Like, from what we know; Uncharted 4 effectively took 2 years from "start" to finish, if we assume that Neil/Bruce's takeover of the project marked the start of the development. That is a relatively quick turnaround for a project but as said, we have zero visibility of how much stuff was kept from Amy's vision and how much was scrapped.

Assuming, that development was smooth as butter and all ideas Neil Druckmann had from conception-to-readiness-to-develop for TLoU2 is not wasted time, TLoU2 probably had ~6 months of pre-production in some shape or form before work had to be put on hold for UC4.

UC4 shipped in May, and Neil/co went straight back to work on TLoU2. That is another potential 6 months of work for 2016.

If we assume that by ND's standards of what it means to be early in development, it's not weird if they're planning to hit end 2018, giving the game a full 2.5 years of development time.

Again, it depends on how much of ND's pace of development carried forward to current gen.

TLOU2 is the real test of whether or not ND is still the most efficient devs this gen in terms of consistently releasing great games on a short dev cycle.

orochi91

Bloodborne sequel, when?!

Considering that Sony is throwing their weight behind Nioh, will that affect the likelihood of future Bloodborne installments?

I can't see Sony supporting/investing in two Souls-like franchises simultaneously, even though they don't own the Nioh IP.

Did anyone notice that the PS4 has no longer any exclusive FPS anymore? We got Killzone ShadowFall and that is it. No upcoming shooter from any of Sony studios.

Mifune

Mehmber
You guys are nuts if you think PS5 is coming out in 2019 or anywhere close to that.

So I'd wager there are plenty of first party games in development for PS4 that we know nothing about.

You guys are nuts if you think PS5 is coming out in 2019 or anywhere close to that.

It's not that far fetched. Using Pro as an example of a mid gen update that came out 3 years after the PS4. If the Pro ends up lasting another 3 years, is not crazy to expect another console in 2019, whether it's going to be another update or the next console, we shall see. Plus I think Sony will definitely push backwards comparability very heavy with the next PS console as a way to keep it relevant if they are still releasing PS4 exclusive games by then.

Anybody know what's going on with that 2nd party studio Ovosonico. Didn't they sign a 3 game deal or did Sony cancel it like they did with Superbot & Lightbox after 1 game.

Also I wonder what Sony game Bluepoint Games is currently porting.

Some Nobody

So I'd wager there are plenty of first party games in development for PS4 that we know nothing about.

2020 is close, and I don't think PS5 takes any longer than that tbh. PS4 came out in 2013 after...what, seven years? I think Sony's going to want to strike in three more years, by which time the PS4 goes down as one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's not that far fetched. Using Pro as an example of a mid gen update that came out 3 years after the PS4. If the Pro ends up lasting another 3 years, is not crazy to expect another console in 2019, whether it's going to be another update or the next console, we shall see. Plus I think Sony will definitely push backwards comparability very heavy with the next PS console as a way to keep it relevant if they are still releasing PS4 exclusive games by then.

Generations are trending longer not shorter, though. Throw in a Pro/Scorpio refresh and I think we're looking at eight years between consoles.

Did anyone notice that the PS4 has no longer any exclusive FPS anymore? We got Killzone ShadowFall and that is it. No upcoming shooter from any of Sony studios.

Yeah, I'd like Sony to invest in the genre, although I understand why they're not as it's ultra-competitive and they didn't have a great deal of success last gen. For now I'd be pretty happy with a remaster of Killzone 2 and a Resistance Trilogy. If I worked for Sony I'd also be talking to Human Head about making a futuristic bounty hunter FPS, which is totally not related to anything they've previously worked on. Probably be circling to pick up Crysis as well.

Nah, last gen went on for 7 years and things already felt stretched out by the end of it. I reckon they'll be looking to cap this gen at 6 years (so 2019) or 7 at the most, and probably move most of their developers on to either cross-gen or next-gen developments after they've made two games at most.

Generations are trending longer not shorter, though. Throw in a Pro/Scorpio refresh and I think we're looking at eight years between consoles.

A single generation is not a trend. The consensus at the end of last gen was that it went on way too long, that it got so market got so tired of those systems it ended up hurting sales significantly. It's also apparently the reason why the first couple of years this gen were so poor, because a lot of third parties were looking at scaling back their AAA games significantly up until the PS4 took off.

I'm absolutely expecting the PS5 in 2019 or 2020. The exact timing will probably depend on when AMD can get everything Sony will want in place, something along the lines of a custom Zen APU, a 7nm manufacturing process and HBM.

Yeah, I'd like Sony to invest in the genre, although I understand why they're not as it's ultra-competitive and they didn't have a great deal of success last gen. For now I'd be pretty happy with a remaster of Killzone 2 and a Resistance Trilogy. If I worked for Sony I'd also be talking to Human Head about making a futuristic bounty hunter FPS, which is totally not related to anything they've previously worked on. Probably be circling to pick up Crysis as well.

You started out so well and ended so poorly.

Top Bottom