• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Some Nobody

Where'd this PS5 kick come from? Is it because of that Digital Foundry article? It seems like some are convinced that it's right around the corner. That console isn't coming any time soon. And even in a scenario where it was, it's not Sony's style to just drop support for their console simply because they have another coming out.

What's fascinating is how ya'll seem to think we're saying "soon" as in tomorrow. 2020 (the latest we see the PS5) isn't soon, particularly when we know Sony's 2018 line-up and can see part of their 2019 stuff too. Several of their first-party devs are going to need to get on developing for the next system soon--like this year--if they'll be ready for launch in 2020, nevermind 2019.

Every so often, we have a repeat conversation of either, "What's the next Sony studio to close?" or "I guess we know everything coming out."

And yet nobody who said the latter predicted a SOTC remake or any of their casual gaming lineup, with some wondering if there were any other VR games by Sony still to come. =P

Some Nobody

Every so often, we have a repeat conversation of either, "What's the next Sony studio to close?" or "I guess we know everything coming out."

And yet nobody who said the latter predicted a SOTC remake or any of their casual gaming lineup, with some wondering if there were any other VR games by Sony still to come. =P

I mean....you're basically proving their point lol. The SOTC remake isn't by a Sony studio. People say "we know everything" but that's short-hand for "we know all the major AAA stuff".

Having said that, Shuhei said they've got other games and I believe them. Sucker Punch is noticeably absent, for instance. I do worry that being quiet this long if their game doesn't look incredible people might feel...disappointed?

I just compiled everything Sony is working on/has released this year and beyond that we absolutely know about:

Bravo Team
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Detroit: Become Human
Drawn to Death
Dreams
Everybody's Golf
Frantics
God of War
Gran Turismo Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Gravity Rush 2 Raven DLC
Hidden Agenda
Horizon Zero Dawn
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds
Joysound VR
Knack 2
Knowledge Is Power
Locoroco Remastered
Locoroco Remastered 2
Malicious Fallen
Marvel's Spider-Man
Matterfall
MLB The Show 17
Nioh
Nioh "Dragon of the North" DLC
Parappa the Rapper Remastered
Patapon Remastered
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
SingStar Celebration
StarBlood Arena
That's You!
The Inpatient
The Last of Us Part II
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
WiLD
Wipeout Omega Collection

34 freaking games with those other three DLC packs as well. And this doesn't include what we know nothing about (what's Sony Japan working on, what's Sucker Punch working on, what's in pre-production).

That's some incredible output, especially considering the quality of so many of these games.

This also means we really need to update the OP! xD~~

I mean....you're basically proving their point lol. The SOTC remake isn't by a Sony studio. People say "we know everything" but that's short-hand for "we know all the major AAA stuff".

Ah, so as long as I don't take them literally and start talking about what counts and what doesn't, they had a point. I gotcha. ;)

What's fascinating is how ya'll seem to think we're saying "soon" as in tomorrow. 2020 (the latest we see the PS5) isn't soon, particularly when we know Sony's 2018 line-up and can see part of their 2019 stuff too. Several of their first-party devs are going to need to get on developing for the next system soon--like this year--if they'll be ready for launch in 2020, nevermind 2019.

I agree with the idea that it's likely to be a 2020 console. With that said, I don't get the conclusion some reach that they're coming to an end with PS4 game development. Let's just look at their current lineup.

Matterfall - August
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - August
Everybody's Golf - August
Knack 2 - September
Gran Turismo Sport - Fall
LocoRoco 2 Remastered - 2017
Horizon: The Frozen Wildlands - 2017
No Heroes Allowed! VR - 2017
PlayLink games (Hidden Agenda, That's You, Knowledge is Power, Singstar, and Frantics) - 2017
God of War - Early 2018
Spider-Man 2018
The Inpatient - ?
Bravo Team - ?
Days Gone - ?
Death Stranding - ?
Detroit - ?
Shadow of the Colossus - ?
Wild - ?
Dreams - ?

Of those with no release dates, i'd expect The Inpatient, Dreams, Detroit, and Bravo Team to launch next year. Perhaps SotC as well. Which would just leave Death Stranding, Wild and Days Gone for the rest of the PS4's life. And even if Sony launches in 2020, their history is one that suggests they'd still support the PS4. With the PS3 they still launched TLoU and GT6 the same year as the PS4. I just can't see how they aren't sitting on a decent number of unannounced PS4 titles. Yoshida basically alluded to that when he said we'll hear more from their studios later this year.

I agree with the idea that it's likely to be a 2020 console. With that said, I don't get the conclusion some reach that they're coming to an end with PS4 game development. Let's just look at their current lineup.

Matterfall - August
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - August
Everybody's Golf - August
Knack 2 - September
Gran Turismo Sport - Fall
LocoRoco 2 Remastered - 2017
Horizon: The Frozen Wildlands - 2017
No Heroes Allowed! VR - 2017
PlayLink games (Hidden Agenda, That's You, Knowledge is Power, Singstar, and Frantics) - 2017
God of War - Early 2018
Spider-Man 2018
The Inpatient - ?
Bravo Team - ?
Days Gone - ?
Death Stranding - ?
Detroit - ?
Shadow of the Colossus - ?
Wild - ?
Dreams - ?

Of those with no release dates, i'd expect The Inpatient, Dreams, Detroit, and Bravo Team to launch next year. Perhaps SotC as well. Which would just leave Death Stranding, Wild and Days Gone for the rest of the PS4's life. And even if Sony launches in 2020, their history is one that suggests they'd still support the PS4. With the PS3 they still launched TLoU and GT6 the same year as the PS4. I just can't see how they aren't sitting on a decent number of unannounced PS4 titles. Yoshida basically alluded to that when he said we'll hear more from their studios later this year.

SOTC has a 2018 release date same as Marvel's Spider-Man.

Slight correction, but overall, I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

FelipeMGM

I know the trailer and press releases said ''2018'' for Shadow Of Colossus, but the SIEE press site goes a lil bit more especific and lists as ''Early 2018''

Do keep in mind that the press site is not strange to list a bunch of weird and wrong dates, but that mostly happens when games get new info and then they never update it again or something like that. SotC PS4 was registered with the Early 2018 window from the start.

So, maybe its happening, but dont put a lot of faith in to it just yet

I know the trailer and press releases said ''2018'' for Shadow Of Colossus, but the SIEE press site goes a lil bit more especific and lists as ''Early 2018''

Do keep in mind that the press site has a bunch of weird and wrong dates, but that mostly happens when games get new info and then they never update it again or something. SotC PS4 was registered with the Early 2018 window from the start.

So, maybe its happening, but dont put a lot of faith in to it just yet
Shawn said those 2018 games are all early 2018 12-13 months from now

AndyVirus

Where'd this PS5 kick come from? Is it because of that Digital Foundry article? It seems like some are convinced that it's right around the corner.

For whatever reason a lot of people don't think Sony are OK with Microsoft having a more powerful console and will get the PS5 out in 2018. (I've even heard people who seriously thought the PS5 would get brought up at the PS conference.) The lukewarm reaction shown to Scorpio this E3 has proven more than anything there is absolutely no need for Sony to react.

RSchmitz

From what has been shown I'm not sure SotC makes it early next year. Hopefully there's a segment playable for psx so we can have a better idea.

KodaRuss

Shadow of the Colossus is a pleasant surprise for me. I never played the original but have always heard awesome things about it. I look forward to playing it on PS4.

For your sake and others that never played the original I just hope they are able to recapture the feel of the first one. Truly one of the best games of all time.

For your sake and others that never played the original I just hope they are able to recapture the feel of the first one. Truly one of the best games of all time.
They're never going to Capture the "feel" it's why I fear for any team making a remake of a beloved game. The littlest things set ppl off. As someone that's gonna play it for the first time I just want to see what the basic game was about

Dabi

oh, I missed that thread earlier, so good news then

Also reassuring that stuff like Days Gone and Detroit might still hit 2018 but didnt get windows because they are H2 2018

About Days Gone, I would not want that style of game releasing in a crowded 2018 holiday season and / or close to TLOU II. Summer 2018 really does feel like a great fit for the game. Curious to see where it lands

N° 2048

Is it wrong that one of those "feels" for me is that 15-20FPS lol

I hope they keep a classic mode or something.

I'm serious too.

Tonky

About Days Gone, I would not want that style of game releasing in a crowded 2018 holiday season and / or close to TLOU II. Summer 2018 really does feel like a great fit for the game. Curious to see where it lands
TLOU II is not releasing in 2018.

They got this!!

UQAZBcP.gif

Yep! In terms of pure technical prowess, SSM is the most gifted Sony studio...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah I also feel thats a 2019 Xmas title.... definitely not a shorter timeframe i would think.

I don't think it takes longer than mid-2019. Bruce and Neil took over Uncharted 4 in March 2014, seemingly rebooted the whole project and still released a little over 2 years later.

FelipeMGM

the earliest I see for TLoU part II is like May 2019 so I wouldnt worry about these two ''fighting'' for space.

Anywhere between June and September its safe to avoid heavy hitters I think

oh, I missed that thread earlier, so good news then

Also reassuring that stuff like Days Gone and Detroit might still hit 2018 but didnt get windows because they are H2 2018

Here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393767

From what has been shown I'm not sure SotC makes it early next year. Hopefully there's a segment playable for psx so we can have a better idea.

Eh, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Bloodborne showed a cinematic trailer E3 2014 when it was announced and it came out the following March.

Having said that, Shuhei said they've got other games and I believe them. Sucker Punch is noticeably absent, for instance. I do worry that being quiet this long if their game doesn't look incredible people might feel...disappointed?

So Spider-Man, Death Stranding and Detroit aren't major AAA stuff then? Not to mention Bloodborne and The Order. Even if we know what most of Sony's internal studios are working on, it's impossible to say whether we know everything that's coming from them because they're always working with a number of external studios.

I suggested last year that Sony's announcements would probably dry up in a couple years because they'll have to start transitioning over to the PS5 but that was assuming they'd continue announcing games that are years off and that the PS5 would come out in 2019. Now that we're thinking the PS5 won't come out till 2020 and Sony seem to be holding back some announcements till a bit closer to release, I think they should be fine in 2018 and 2019. It's not like Sony are going to pull a Microsoft and release absolutely nothing leading up to the PS5 launch, they'll still have a few AAA PS4 games coming out in 2020.

I do think they should have less PS4 games in 2020 than the PS3 had in 2013 though. Shit was ridiculous.

There seemed to be a multi disciplinary sports / action game that I don't think had an official title yet. Tried googling around for it but couldn't find anything.

Doesn't anyone know what it was called or have any info on it? I was wondering what happened to it.

F4r0_Atak

I am wondering now that IO Interactive is an independent studio (thank god!), could SIE hire them to work on the Syphon Filter franchise? After their reboot of Hitman, I don't know what I would give for a proper reboot of Syphon Filter made by them... :(

Skeeter49

I am wondering now that IO Interactive is an independent studio (thank god!), could SIE hire them to work on the Syphon Filter franchise? After their reboot of Hitman, I don't know what I would give for a proper reboot of Syphon Filter made by them... :(

+1
Bring back Logan.

FelipeMGM

If it's the game I'm thinking about... it might be the game announced by EA back at E3 2014, but I am pretty sure they cancelled it in 2016. :/

Yeah, that was Criterion's project and it looked awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezp9vvOFuo

It was canned and now Criterion is doing nothing but Star Wars projects.

oh yeah, thats dead.

Criterion is building up to work on solo games again though, they have been hiring like crazy for the past year, they more than double their staff

Q3 2017: GT Sport
Q4 2017: Detroit: Become Human
Q1 2018: God of War & Dreams
Q2 2018: Days Gone
Q3 2018: Spider-Man
Q4 2018: From Software Title
Q1 2019: Sucker Punch New IP
Q2 2019: Another unannounced game
Q4 2019: The Last of Us Part II
Q2 2020: Death Stranding

Best wishes.

Seems like I wasn't far off. I still believe Detroit will be out this Holiday. I also think Dreams will get a full re-reveal this year, maybe at Gamescom or PGW. Finally, still believe From's new game for Sony is Bloodborne 2. They are just toying with us to not reveal anything.

I'm going to first build and stream gameplay from the spiritual successor to Stunt Race FX we all know we want.

Second, I'm going to create a story-driven space flight experience.

Third, I'm going to eat. Don't forget to eat when you finally get to play Dreams, guys.
Eat? I'll make a food inspired lvl does that count?
Especially if it's in vr I'm lost to this world

Food-inspired level is probably a better course of action. No need to stop playing Dreams.

What games/movies/stories/experiences/things are you going to create?
I can't say for certain as I need to see how music is implemented but I was thinking like a fantasia inspired level replace Mickey with an original character ideally a wizard looking one.

I can't say for certain as I need to see how music is implemented but I was thinking like a fantasia inspired level replace Mickey with an original character ideally a wizard looking one.

Very cool. I want to experiment with the shaders, to see if there's any way I can achieve a cell-shaded look for the 3D models. Also very interested to know if you can adjust the animation so the models appear more stop-motiony. I'd love to do a spoof of ED-209 from Robocop, but don't want it looking all smooth & computer animated. I want it looking like it did in the fuckin' 80s, mate!

Very cool. I want to experiment with the shaders, to see if there's any way I can achieve a cell-shaded look for the 3D models. Also very interested to know if you can adjust the animation so the models appear more stop-motiony. I'd love to do a spoof of ED-209 from Robocop, but don't want it looking all smooth & computer animated. I want it looking like it did in the fuckin' 80s, mate!
I definitely wanna collaborate with you guys too. Since you can connect Dreams and what not be cool thing to do

Top Bottom