• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Thorrgal

Hi guys, I'm at work and haven't been able to see the TGS conference, can anyone do a summary of the most noteworthy stuff?

Would be much appreciate it, as the OT is full of hysteria :p

EDIT: Ok so I took this from user Devilgunman from that thread:

Dragon's Crown Pro
ZoE VR
Neko Atsume VR
Gungrave VR
Gundam Battle Operation 2
Virtual On
13 Sentinels
Left Alive
New MHW trailer
Fist of the North Star?

- FF9 coming to PS4
- 2 Earth Defense Force games
- Dissida Final Fantasy
- Dynasty Warriors looked great

I have to say I only know Dragon's Crown form that list, and that's only 'cause I saw the leak the other day and looked into it. Very excited for it as I play co-op regularly with friends. About the other stuff, what are you guys more excited for?

PS: Also interested on the VR stuff, as I enjoy my PSVR quite a bit

Edit2: Added Fist of the North Star
Edit3: Added more stuff

klee123

Yeah, SCEJ not announcing anything at this conference is very disappointing.

Goes to show that the Japanese branch still relies too much on third parties, which is a shame.

Yeah, SCEJ not announcing anything at this conference is very disappointing.

Goes to show that the Japanese branch still relies too much on third parties, which is a shame.
Yeah. Nothing wrong with using 3rd parties as they do, but they should have a bigger team to make more games inhouse. What are you doing Shu? :S

Loudninja

Yeah. Nothing wrong with using 3rd parties as they do, but they should have a bigger team to make more games inhouse. What are you doing Shu? :S
I dont get this they just release 2 games back to back. This is really unreasonable.

Not to mention they release Gravity Rush 2 this year as well and Last Guardian last year.

Making smart business decisions. Those kind of comments might make sense if Japan Studio had a big tentpole franchise but they don't, so... Just be happy they're continuing to produce some really great AA tier games and aren't at risk of being closed.

Now, if you want to complain about the lack of external dev announcements then I'd probably agree. Right now, excluding ForwardWorks, I believe the only exdev Japanese games they've got announced are Death Stranding and No Heroes Allowed VR.

I dont get this they just release 2 games back to back. This is really unreasonable.

Not to mention they release Gravity Rush 2 this year as well and Last Guardian last year.

Getting 1 or 2 games from SCEJ is pretty damn disappointing, lets be real. Look at the work EU and NA put out. Besides the 1st party, there's tons of AA games that get pushed by Sony. SCEJ just needs a bit more cashflow

Zukkoyaki

Japan Studio has released three internally developed games (TLG, Gravity Rush 2, Knack II) and two collaborative games (Everybody's Golf, Tomorrow Children) all in the past 12 months.

I'm bummed that they didn't announce anything new either but their production is more than fine.

Japan Studio has released three internally developed games (TLG, Gravity Rush 2, Knack II) and two collaborative games (Everybody's Golf, Tomorrow Children) all in the past 12 months.

I'm bummed that they didn't announce anything new either but their production is more than fine.
I guess these last 2 years, you are correct. I am wrong -_-

FelipeMGM

yeah, their output has been great this generation. Just noting that for the first time this gen, no new first party games were announced at TGS, wasnt even referencing Japan Studio directly.

Anyway, to PGW predictions we go

FelipeMGM

Should we expect a release date for Spider-Man at either PSX or PGW?

since Layden indicated its a H1 2018 game, a date at PSX seems possible

PSX could be a date festival. GoW, SotC, Spider-Man should all be released before or around E3, and are good candidates to at PSX

sense

People should reign in the expectations for PGW as well. PSX is where I believe they will drop any sort of big reveals.

Tonky

Shinobi mentioned that SP's reveal could either be at E3 o at PSX. TLOU2 being announced at PSX last year confirms to me that it is not just a "B-tier conference," so I'm going in expecting SP's game to be there.

Zukkoyaki

Some early predictions for Paris:

- Detroit release window (still don't formally have one)
- Dreams big re-reveal including either a release window or a beta date
- Some quick trailers for the currently announced line-up
- Sony London new VR game
- New XDev game from Arrowhead (makers of Helldivers)
- New XDev game from Novarama (makers of Invizimals)

I'm thinking it'll mainly be an E3 part-2 show

FelipeMGM

I actually think it's PS4 first. Detroit will hit pc like the other games (beyond and heavy rain). Whatever it takes to keep them rolling is fine by me.

hmmm Beyond and Heavy Rain are not on PC tho? Not sure what you are talking about.

Some early predictions for Paris:

- Detroit release window (still don't formally have one)
- Dreams big re-reveal including either a release window or a beta date
- Some quick trailers for the currently announced line-up
- Sony London new VR game
- New XDev game from Arrowhead (makers of Helldivers)
- New XDev game from Novarama (makers of Invizimals)

I'm thinking it'll mainly be an E3 part-2 show

I think Novarama moved to mobile development.

AmuroChan

Getting 1 or 2 games from SCEJ is pretty damn disappointing, lets be real. Look at the work EU and NA put out. Besides the 1st party, there's tons of AA games that get pushed by Sony. SCEJ just needs a bit more cashflow

That's because SCEJ only has two studios. Most of SIE's studios are in NA/EU. Hence higher volume of output.

Top Bottom