• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2 FY 2011 Financial Results - 3.7M PS3s Ship, $350M Net Loss For Full Company

Takao

Banned
Maximilian E. said:
MS managed to more than double it sales from Xbox, it will be interesting what happens with Xbox version 3.

3rd consoles tend to be a curse as Saturn, N64, and PS3 showcase. It'll be interesting to see if MS can break the mold and continue making traction.

eastmen

Banned
Takao said:
3rd consoles tend to be a curse as Saturn, N64, and PS3 showcase. It'll be interesting to see if MS can break the mold and continue making traction.

There are allways expections to the rules.

Sony and Nintendo didn't have horrible first system launches. MS did. So perhaps MS can dodge the third outting curse

Noshino

-Sony: PS2 Sales Reach 150 Million Units Worldwide (As of January 31, 2011)...1.52 Billion Units of PS2 Software Have Been Sold Worldwide (As of the End of December 2010)

(As of the End of December 2010)

Uh, am I missing something here?

In the slides it says December 2011, not 2010

hirokazu

Marius_ said:
So it is actually the highest selling console of 2011?

Year of the PS3
:lol
I don't believe that was ever in dispute. The caveat is - so far. That 15m goal for PS3 this fiscal year seems pretty unlikely to me.

VALIS said:
The 360 will probably add 1 million+ over the PS3 between November and December in NPD. It sold about 1.4 mil more than the PS3 in Nov and Dec. 2010 and things really haven't changed much since then.
But PS3 will likely add a similar to lead over the 360 in Europe and Japan (LOL), largely cancelling out the difference in strength between regions.

Meisadragon said:
Kinect was released last year and it killed whatever lead PS3 had till then. I don't think it can do the same this year, though. Interesting to see if MS will drop the price as well, but seems unlikely.
Yeah, but the 360 is doing insanely well in the US ever since the Kinect released. They've got great momentum, it has a chance of doing just as well over PS3 this year.

VALIS said:
But even if that happens, it's not gaining. NPD November and December are like the video game sales playoffs or something. It's where momentum is really gained and lost. If PS3 stays reasonably close to the 360 in those NPDs combined (within 500K), it's looking good. If it gets washed out by ~1.5 mil again, any gains it made during the year are gone.
This is worldwide figures, not America figures... I don't understand your logic here.

If the 360 sells as many more units in the US than the PS3 as the PS3 does over the 360 in Europe and Japan, than the PS3 would still have a net lead due to selling more in other three quarters of the year, it doesn't have those gains magically wiped.

pelican

VALIS said:
The 360 will probably add 1 million+ over the PS3 between November and December in NPD. It sold about 1.4 mil more than the PS3 in Nov and Dec. 2010 and things really haven't changed much since then.

Last time I looked the NPD only covered the US;p

The US is the only territory where MS own the all the cards. The difference between PS3 and 360 sales in the Japanese and Asia territories makes your statement moot.

I own both consoles so have nothing to lose, but if I am honest MS has really disappointed me recently with exclusives and their apparent focus on Kinect.

pelican

hirokazu said:
I don't believe that was ever in dispute. The caveat is - so far. That 15m
This is worldwide figures, not America figures... I don't understand your logic here.

If the 360 sells as many more units in the US than the PS3 as the PS3 does over the 360 in Europe and Japan, than the PS3 would still have a net lead due to selling more in other three quarters of the year, it doesn't have those gains magically wiped.

I never saw your post before I just replied with similar lines.

Unfortunately it appears some gaffers think US sales = World Sales. Unfortunately for them the platform holders care about World Sales, not just US sales.

Radec

Hardware Sales Ap-Jn Jl-Sp Oc-Dc Ja-Mr FY LTD

FY 2006/07 - - 1.7 1.8 3.5 3.5

FY 2007/08 0.7 1.3 4.9 2.2 9.1 12.6

FY 2008/09 1.6 2.4 4.5 1.6 10.1 22.7

FY 2009/10 1.1 3.2 6.5 2.2 13.0 35.7

FY 2010/11 2.4 3.5 6.3 2.1 14.3 50.0

FY 2011/12 1.8 3.7 - - 5.5 55.5

Chances that the FY11/12 will get above 14.3 is pretty good.

Good quarter for the PS3. Without a price cut the PS3 could overtake the 360 within the next year. I know it's a meaningless battle but it's still fun to watch.

I think MS won't cut the price this year but will cut the price next year leading up to the release of their next console. I think the interesting part will be if this spurs sales sorta like the PS2 or whether the 360 will die off quickly following this announcement.

I'm also interested to how long the PS3/360's legs are and how close they can go to the wii.

Elios83

As expected PS3 gained a lot of ground on the 360 this quarter (1.4m). PSP and PS2 did really good as well for the quarter.
During next quarter PS3 should gain considerable further ground again. I expect 6m for the 360 and 7+m for the PS3. So yeah gap almost closed by the end of the year.

On the contrary Sony's financials are in a pretty shitty situation atm.
Strong yen, natural disasters and so on are playing their big parts but it's clear that the main problem is their struggling TV business and the lack of hit products which has led to lower sales in the electronics business.
As far as I get they are restructuring their TV business significantly, basically they won't design or manufacture by themselves low-end models anymore and there are plans to outsource panels production for higher end models too. That is coupled with the recent Sony Ericsson acquisition which should give them more freedom. We'll see how they'll manage to get out of the storm.

AniHawk

LOCK said:
The DS should be very close to the PS2 by the end of the holidays/

i don't think the ds will beat it in the long run. it'll stay about 5-6 million behind. if it had the decade+ the ps2 had, sure, but nintendo's going to kill the machine next year.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Takao said:

Actually, for MS is 3rd is the charm.
Windows 3 was the first Windows that kinda worked well. MS usually "don´t get it" untlil some later versions, Xbox was actually the first v1.0 that worked from the beginning.. :)

However, this is not an MS xbox thread.. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Takao said:

Does that mean the 4th ones will be disastrous (See Dreamcast and Gamecube) and the 5th either make it or break it? :p

Last quarter revenue:(in billions)(yoy)
Xbox360 platform-$1.743(+7%)
Playstation family-$2.054(-7.7%)

Hardware shipments make for fun charts but at the end of the day they don't count for much this far into the gen. Sony shipped 1.4 more million consoles but still likely ended up producing less revenue. (PS2 and PSP shipped enough hardware and software to make up the difference in the above numbers)

Hopefully Vita can stop the declines in gaming revenue for Sony.

sTeLioSco

Banned
subversus said:
X360 had 1 year advantage. Next time make sure your console has decent LIVE support everywhere, MS.

1 year advantage
cheaper,the ps3 was ridiculous expensive @500/600

somehow i don't expect this to happen again.......

TheOddOne

bigtroyjon said:
Last quarter revenue:(in billions)(yoy)
Xbox360 platform-$1.743(+7%)
Playstation family-$2.054(-7.7%)

Hardware shipments make for fun charts but at the end of the day they don't count for much this far into the gen. Sony shipped 1.4 more million consoles but still likely ended up producing less revenue. (PS2 and PSP shipped enough hardware and software to make up the difference in the above numbers)

Hopefully Vita can stop the declines in gaming revenue for Sony.
That's suprising.

spwolf

zomgbbqftw said:
And weak consumer spending in EU/US. US revenue is down 18% for the first six months YoY.

It's also Sony's fault for not having kept up with the latest trends, they don't have a strong tablets division, they are only just bringing their mobile phone division in house when people have been telling them to do it since 2008, they haven't brought nice high margin, expensive OLED TVs to market even though they could, tomorrow. Sony are a company that has missed too many boats and I would now not rate them as investment grade.

I'm not even sure Kaz will fix anything when he takes over as CEO, the corporate culture at Sony is not conducive to being focussed and early to a market where speed and efficiency matter more than anything else.

Even so, good PS3 sales, the one decent spot of news for them right now. Vita should do well too.

losses are mostly due to high yen and tsunami/flood... Just in last quarter yen gained 13% against Euro, which means 13% less money to Sony.

hirokazu

Maximilian E. said:
Actually, for MS is 3rd is the charm.
Windows 3 was the first Windows that kinda worked well. MS usually "don´t get it" untlil some later versions, Xbox was actually the first v1.0 that worked from the beginning.. :)

However, this is not an MS xbox thread.. :)
Neither comparison with past consoles nor Microsoft's history are a meaningful precedent for the performance of their next console.

Elios83

spwolf said:
losses are mostly due to high yen and tsunami/flood... Just in last quarter yen gained 13% against Euro, which means 13% less money to Sony.

It's not just that, electronics sales have slowed down all around because they don't have hit products and the TV business is sinking, they're expecting to lose 175 billion yen for the whole year just from that division.
They also have a restructing plan for the TV business:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/2011q2_tv.pdf

Basically they are going out of the race for market share, they want to sell 20m TVs each year and be profitable. To do that they will buy low end TVs from third parties (chinese manufacturers?), and will reduce costs associated with LCD panels on higher end models by 40% (rumors say that to do that they will outsource production of panels too and Sony/Samsung venture is coming to an end). They will also streamline the number of models offered (which is a good thing imo).

Snubbers

Well done to Sony, the PS3 is finally getting the traction is needs..

If we went back 5 years, we'd never have though that the 360 would have given it such a massive run for it's money, despite a 1 year lead, we all expected the PS2 juggernaut momentum to have an immediate affect on PS3 sales..

I think MS have started to rest on their laurels, and the PS3 gaining momentum might just be what gives them a timely reminder.. if Kinect doesn't have legs (and I don't think it does), they will have to look at the PS3 and wonder what they need to do to compete in the next iteration..

Snubbers said:
If we went back 5 years, we'd never have though that the 360 would have given it such a massive run for it's money, despite a 1 year lead, we all expected the PS2 juggernaut momentum to have an immediate affect on PS3 sales..

Yeah if you went back 5 years and said ps3 would hopefully/maybe overtake the Xbox 360 at the end of next gen in 2012 (this gen now) for 2nd place, and still be waaaay behind the 1st place Nintendo Wii, people would think you were insane. I honestly don't see Microsoft ever winning over Japan though, in any generation.

TheOddOne

Snubbers said:
I think MS have started to rest on their laurels, and the PS3 gaining momentum might just be what gives them a timely reminder.. if Kinect doesn't have legs (and I don't think it does), they will have to look at the PS3 and wonder what they need to do to compete in the next iteration..
I wonder though, what is there for MS to look at to compete? They have their own strategy and so far has brought them revenue. If bigtroyjon post is correct, then you gotta wonder if even last year they sold more worldwide with the whole Playstation brand, but only made that amount of revenue. While 360 made that much revenue on its own.

I wonder how shareholders will react on that matter.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fun fact:
PS2 2005-2011 outsold both PS3 and 360 in same time frame.

It's actually a repeat of PS1 outselling XBox and GC LTDs in 2000-2005, except numbers are 2x higher(for all) for the similar ~5 year period.

AniHawk

TheOddOne said:
I wonder though, what is there for MS to look at to compete? They have their own strategy and so far has brought them profit. If bigtroyjon post is correct, then you gotta wonder if even last year they sold more worldwide with the whole Playstation brand, but only made that amount of profit. While 360 made that much profit on its own.

not that it changes your point much, but that's not profit, it's revenue.

Kenka

zomgbbqftw said:
And weak consumer spending in EU/US. US revenue is down 18% for the first six months YoY.
Pardon me ? Did I read well ? You mean't average household revenue, or... ?
Fafalada said:
Fun fact:
PS2 2005-2011 outsold both PS3 and 360 in same time frame.

It's actually a repeat of PS1 outselling XBox and GC LTDs in 2000-2005, except numbers are 2x higher(for all) for the similar ~5 year period.
Impressive :) And streams will cross with the Wii by the end of the gen. Incredible.

TheOddOne said:
I wonder though, what is there for MS to look at to compete? They have their own strategy and so far has brought them profit. If bigtroyjon post is correct, then you gotta wonder if even last year they sold more worldwide with the whole Playstation brand, but only made that amount of profit. While 360 made that much profit on its own.

I wonder how shareholders react on that matter.

Just to be clear, my post was about revenue, not profit and all my info is coming right out of the earnings releases. Numbers were similar last quarter.
Apr-June quarter revenue:(in billions)(yoy)
Xbox360 platform-$1.303(+29%)
Playstation family-$1.546(-11.9%)

noobie

Banned
bigtroyjon said:
Just to be clear, my post was about revenue, not profit and all my info is coming right out of the earnings releases. Numbers were similar last quarter.

How you reach to these numbers.?

hirokazu

TheOddOne said:
I wonder though, what is there for MS to look at to compete? They have their own strategy and so far has brought them revenue. If bigtroyjon post is correct, then you gotta wonder if even last year they sold more worldwide with the whole Playstation brand, but only made that amount of revenue. While 360 made that much revenue on its own.

I wonder how shareholders will react on that matter.
Indeed, no matter what the final outcome, the 360 has been pretty big success and I'm sure Microsoft are proud of it.

Their strategy is more likely to be to continue to improve Live services and offerings, build on the success of the Kinect in bringing in casual gamers and families and further build the Xbox brand than trying to see what they can learn from Sony.

TheOddOne

bigtroyjon said:
Yeah, AniHawk pointed that out.

bigtroyjon said:

So what you're telling us is that shipment figures are good enough for analysts, but they're not good enough for you?

noobie said:
How you reach to these numbers.?
Have to look through the quarterly earnings releases on the investor relations sites for each company.
Sony Investor Relations
Microsoft Investor Relations

Since I did the last six months figured I would do the rest of 2011
Jan-March quarter revenue:(in billions)(yoy)
Xbox360 platform-$1.744(+69%)
Playstation family-$1.951(-9.1%)

Para bailar La Bomba said:
So what you're telling us is that shipment figures are good enough for analysts, but they're not good enough for you?
Which analysts prefer hardware shipment figures over revenue?

TheOddOne

Para bailar La Bomba said:
I think they're intrested more intrested in revenue numbers then shipment figures. Not that are not important though.

bigtroyjon said:
Which analysts prefer hardware shipment figures over revenue?

What you were implying is that shipment figures are not probative. I'll repeat your statement for your pleasure and convenience: "[Shipment figures] don't count for much this far into the gen"

So let's not mince words, aye?

Top Bottom