• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3: PS3/PS4 7.8 M; FY13 FCT 15M

ethomaz

Banned
From the document.

GAME

Sales increased 64.6% year-on-year (a 33% increase on a constant currency basis) to 441.8 billion yen (4,207 million U.S. dollars). This significant increase year-on-year was primarily due to the launch of the PS4 in North America, Europe and Latin America, as well as the favorable impact of foreign exchange rates, partially offset by a significant decrease in unit sales of PlayStation®3 hardware.

Operating income increased 13.4 billion yen year-on-year to 18.0 billion yen (172 million U.S. dollars). This significant increase year-on-year was primarily due to the above-mentioned increase in sales and the favorable impact of foreign exchange rates, partially offset by increased costs related to the launch of the PS4. Operating income in the current quarter includes a 6.2 billion yen (59 million U.S. dollars) write-off of certain PC software titles sold by Sony Online Entertainment LLC.

I read once that the TV & sound division (HE&S) is their biggest division by number of employees. Getting ride of it won't be easy.

satam357

Banned
Sony may have profited from Q3 - approximately 115 million, the outlook is terrible.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303496804579365813295595026?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303496804579365813295595026.html

Good results from Game segment nonetheless. Although in the short-term the results are nothing to write home about, in the long-term Sony will most likely be stronger financially going forward.

Isn't this because they are selling off Vaio though?

Yes.

Looks like their gaming division is off to a remarkably good start with PS4. huge increases in software sales year over year, and strong profitability last quarter.

Also, those numbers put the PS3/4 combo at 10.9 million in sales for the fiscal year, so they'll need to sell another 4.1 million from Jan-March to meet the target. I can see them selling another 2-3 million PS4s, but the 1-2 million PS3s is the actual question to be asked.

So they're exiting PC, presumably a prelude to finally getting out of TVs, something that should have been done a long time ago.

Earnings call might shed some light on specific PS4 shipments. Game posting an operating income despite the launch of the PS4 is a good sign at least.

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tec...s-5-million-playstation-4-sales-march-31-2014

They forecast 5 mil ps4 by March end. They already achieved 4.2 by December 28. I say absolutely that is conservative for ps4

But they never "officially" forecast the PS4 numbers specificially (i.e. put it in writing). The 15 million PS3/4 is the only "official" forecast they have, and while it's very likely they hit that number, it's definitely not guaranteed (not with the drop-off in last-gen sales that's happening).

beast786

But they never "officially" forecast the PS4 numbers specificially (i.e. put it in writing). The 15 million PS3/4 is the only "official" forecast they have, and while it's very likely they hit that number, it's definitely not guaranteed (not with the drop-off in last-gen sales that's happening).

No, they don't. They don't have specific PS4 forecast in their financial report. The number is still 15 million for PS3&4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707307

Am I reading this wrong?

Looks like their gaming division is off to a remarkably good start with PS4. huge increases in software sales year over year, and strong profitability last quarter.

Yep, I did a double-take at their increase there. Even with the PS4 launch I'd love to know how they moved 42M more in Q3 than they did last year.

It's not just Q3 though, how have they managed to sell ~100M more than they did last fiscal year? That seems nuts.

beast786

5 million is talked by sony before launch but never in their financial report. You can easily see in the Q3 report they don't give specific PS4 shipment numbers. Is it so hard to understand they don't revise their home console sales forecast because the underwhelming PS3 numbers?

is it so hard to understand that I was ONLY talking about PS4? And hence bringing the 5 mil ps4 number as forecast by sony ?

I mean I did say...

Did they gave any ps4 forecast for 2014?

ethomaz

Banned
is it so hard to understand that I was ONLY talking about PS4? And hence bringing the 5 mil ps4 number as forecast by sony ?

I mean I did say...
They increased the PS4 forecast and decreased the PS3 forecast... at the end continued 15m for the fiscal year.

That's my guesses.

Yes guessing... seems like they will ship ~7.5m PS4 as March 31st if they match the forecast.

They were at 4.2 mil December 28th. I'd say they could be well over 5 mil by now based on production estimates.

That was 4,2 to consumers - shipment would be bit higher due to units in transport etc.

Anyway PS3 neeeds price drop fast market for 200 EUR machines is saturated already - time to move into emerging markets.

nightever

I mean I did say...

A kind man already tells you:

The specific PS4 forecast is only ‘talked’ by Sony. The Q3 report show us their Home Console Sales forecast remain 15 million. How can they revise their PS4 numbers if the number is not in the report?

If anything, we may get the new numbers for PS4 in their earnings conference call soon.

beast786

A kind man already tells you:

The specific PS4 forecast is only ‘talked’ by Sony. The Q3 report show us their Home Console Sales forecast remain 15 million. How can they revise their PS4 numbers if the number is not in the report?

If anything, we may get the new numbers for PS4 in their earnings conference call soon.

I hoped they talked about it at investor conference like last q ;p

I hoped they talked about it at investor conference like last q ;p

The conference call should be later today, so we might get a new number then (but with all the other stuff they're going to have to talk about during the call, there's a good chance we don't).

ethomaz

Banned
I will love to know actual sales numbers for end of January... using advanced calculations I managed to get a 100% correct prediction of the numbers...

3.1 -> 4.2 -> 5.3 :D

So VITA/PSP sold 2.0 million in Q3 compared to 2.7 million of last year. I doubt if PSP is selling that well but the VITA is like completely dead ;_;

2 million for PSP/VITA combined

Look on the bright sight, it jumped from 0.8M of Q2. That's improvement!!
I know it's just a holiday boost ;-;

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damnit Sony, why can't you just report the shipment figures without murkying everything up. Even software sales figures are totally f-ed up since you decided to add every bit of digital content to it.

zhao3gold

Banned
Judge from the sell-in numbers, the decline of PS3 and Xbox360 is much bigger than expected. The new consoles (PS4+X1) are really killing them.

Personally, I think it will be difficult for PS3 to reach 100millions and Xbox360 will not see any chance to reach it.

Biker19

Banned
Judge from the sell-in numbers, the decline of PS3 and Xbox 360 is much bigger than expected. The new consoles (PS4+X1) are really killing them.

Personally, I think it will be difficult for PS3 to reach 100 million and Xbox 360 will not see any chance to reach it.

It's simple: People want the next gen consoles now.

Xbox 360 has been going on for now 8 years, & PS3 has been going on for now 7 years, so you can kind of understand where it's going...last gen consoles have ran their course.

zhao3gold

Banned
Based on PS4 sell-through numbers and the inventory situation in retailers, I would suggest the sell-in number of PS4 would be approximate 4.3~4.4 millions by the end of December, 2013.

That will put PS3 around 3.4~3.5 millions shipped in the last Q of 2013 that is on par or slightly behind X360.

Overall, PS4 and Xbox360 are really killing the old consoles. I don't think PS3 will enjoy the same long life that PS2 used to have.

zhao3gold

Banned
If only 3.4~3.5 millions shipped for PS3, then I think there is still small chance that Xbox360 is leading to PS3 in sell-in figures by the end of 2013 (less than or equal to 1 million).

if Microsoft wants to spin, then they can say they delivered their promise that Xbox360 was sold more than PS3 in the entire last generation (sell-in numbers).

And yet, a fucking lovely tablet.

That's why I thought it was a good idea to use the Vaio brand to help sell them. Vaio's may not be selling the house down but it still has plenty of brand value and it would've been a nice fit for a device that I think really sits in the Xperia Z's shadow.

satam's "defence" stating that Sony Android devices can only ever be called Xperia was some pretty laughable logic, especially since Sony have produced Android tablets without the Xperia brand name before and the Xperia line started off using Windows Mobile.

RalchAC

It's simple: People want the next gen consoles now.

Xbox 360 has been going on for now 8 years, & PS3 has been going on for now 7 years, so you can kind of understand where it's going...last gen consoles have ran their course.

The PS3 is too expensive to keep selling well post-PS4 launch. I think the official price is 200€, which as other have said it's too expensive. I think we could see a pricedrop next summer. Here in Spain the PS3 have a special discount from January 1st to January 6th (Most presents are gifted in "Reyes"), you could get one a 12GB model for 150€. So they probably weren't losing money at that price, even if benefits were rather small.

I think the PS3 can reach 100 million. But the insane post-PS3 launch PS2 sales are not probable. The PS2 was easy to hack, that probably helped in some emergent countries. Free MP could help a little.

Lace

Looks like a good turn around. Choosing to keep tv's and pc production at an arms length is a smart move. I believe all the other areas are profitable, which is a good sign for the long term.

Sony has purchased new head quarters as well over on Madison. You won't see that reflected on operating income though, but at least they aren't completely withdrawing. As for people who might be claiming this profit is due to selling off their head quarters that happened a couple quarters ago.

Top Bottom