• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reports Q2 Earnings: Game Division ($379) Million, PS3 2.43 million units

Bust Nak

road2serfdom said:
YURI KAGEYAMA said:
posted: 24 MINUTES AGO
comments: 0
filed under: Earnings
PrintShare
Text SizeAAA
TOKYO (Oct. 29)
I would caution those of you without business degrees from trying to read this. What they are saying is that, while Sony overall made a profit in Japan of 20.8 billion yen, based on current exchange rates, that translates to a loss of $214 million from a US perspective. Expect a large movement of capital as American investors sell their shares and investors living in Japan snap them up.
You forgot to add that they are also trying to tell you it's not Oct. 29 in Japan time.

knitoe

itxaka said:
I still can't believe that the ps2 is shitting on hardware and software worldwide sales on the ps3.

Man, that console was and is a beast. They should have called the ps3 the ps2HD.

Don't see how PS2 sales means less PS3 sales. Or, PS2 users will automatically move to PS3.

More like, if PS2 wasn't around, these people would wait until current systems drop in price, and/or get Wii(1) / X360(2) / PS3(3).

Vagabundo

The Faceless Master said:
that's the same thing i thought...

yeah, something like (Banned) to confuse the n00bz

Lol. I always laugh when they think that drinky has been banned for whatever drinky says, keeps them on their toes too.

RJT

Pureauthor said:
The problem with memes in general is that people always end up driving them into the ground very quickly.
(I disagree)

oh, shit, I'm part of the problem!

The Faceless Master said:
yeah, something like (Banned) to confuse the n00bz
:lol :lol :lol

MidiSurf said:
I really doubt it. MGS4, GTAIV and other big titles didn't move PS3 units at all, I don't see how KZ2 or God of War could increse PS3 sales drastically. PS3 is this generations GC and nothing will change that.

Its really not. The GCN at least generated a fair amount of profit for Nintendo, the PS3 has not only lost Sony a great deal of market share but also countless of billions of dollars as well. The PS3 can be classed as nothing but a disaster in light of that.

road2serfdom said:
I would caution those of you without business degrees from trying to read this. What they are saying is that, while Sony overall made a profit in Japan of 20.8 billion yen, based on current exchange rates, that translates to a loss of $214 million from a US perspective. Expect a large movement of capital as American investors sell their shares and investors living in Japan snap them up.

Is this part of the joke? Because what you are saying is not true at all.

Why are people not talking about the software sales. Sure, PS3 sales went up, but the overall net was (5 million) units. Even if they made up for it by the higher price of PS3 games, it's still a worrying trend.

Bust Nak

dammitmattt said:
Why are people not talking about the software sales. Sure, PS3 sales went up, but the overall net was (5 million) units. Even if they made up for it by the higher price of PS3 games, it's still a worrying trend.
How can you sell a negative number of units? Returns?
dammitmattt said:
(Srsly, I am not kidding.)

spwolf

brain_stew said:
Its really not. The GCN at least generated a fair amount of profit for Nintendo, the PS3 has not only lost Sony a great deal of market share but also countless of billions of dollars as well. The PS3 can be classed as nothing but a disaster in light of that.

you sure cant count much... see fingers of your hand, use them :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
dammitmattt said:

Software sales are pretty rollercoastery. They depend on what brand new releases were these from Sony studios during that quarter, and sometimes there just aren't any, or theres some crazy third party games stealing the spotlight. A variation of 10-20% percent year over year is not bad. Sometimes it really drops, sometimes it really climbs... In this case it dropped year over year...

«þ»

Miburou said:
Taken from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111003

FY Sony
1998 974,000,000
1999 1,130,000,000
2000 730,000,000
2001 -409,000,000
2002 623,000,000
2003 939,000,000
2004 650,000,000
2005 404,000,000
2006 75,000,000
2007 -1,969,000,000
2008 -1,265,000,000
2009 51,000,000
Totals 1,953,000,000

With the $379 loss, that still leaves them over $1.5B in profits since 1998.

Great!

With the $379M loss, that also leaves them over $3.2B in losses since 2007.

AndyD

aka andydumi
«þ» said:
Great!

With the $379M loss, that also leaves them over $3.2B in losses since 2007.

1-2 years is peanuts for investors and shareholders. You would be hard pressed to find more than a few companies out there who are doing well in the current economy.

A significant net profit over a decade is a good sign. Especially when you consider this is just one division, not the whole of Sony. And the fact that the division is now in the black is an excellent sign if you look at the other periods when they had negatives, the positives following it were big and numerous.

spwolf said:
you sure cant count much... see fingers of your hand, use them :)

Erm, believe it or not the PS3 has been sucking Sony's finances dry for a lot more than the last quarter, and yes, those losses do add up to several billion.

AndyD said:
1-2 years is peanuts for investors and shareholders. You would be hard pressed to find more than a few companies out there who are doing well in the current economy.

A significant net profit over a decade is a good sign. Especially when you consider this is just one division, not the whole of Sony. And the fact that the division is now in the black is an excellent sign if you look at the other periods when they had negatives, the positives following it were big and numerous.

A $380 million dollar loss in the last quarter puts them in the black?

AndyD said:
Software sales are pretty rollercoastery. They depend on what brand new releases were these from Sony studios during that quarter, and sometimes there just aren't any, or theres some crazy third party games stealing the spotlight. A variation of 10-20% percent year over year is not bad. Sometimes it really drops, sometimes it really climbs... In this case it dropped year over year...

This was a drop of 33%, but regardless, it's worrying that the lost PS2 software sales are not being fully replaced by the PS3 software sales.

And seriously, what the hell is up with PSP software sales? It seems to be getting worse and worse as they sell more systems.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
And seriously, what the hell is up with PSP software sales? It seems to be getting worse and worse as they sell more and more systems.

Its not surprising. Sure people say they use all those firmware hacks for homebrew stuff. (But we all what most people use it for.) :lol

Opiate

AndyD said:

By and large, investors and shareholders do not measure success in time, they measure it in earnings. If a company were to lose 50 billion dollars in 3 months, no one would claim "3 months is a short time, no one cares."

In addition, we know that Microsoft managed to produce a significant profit this last quarter in the E&D division, and we can readily assume that Nintendo is going to triple or perhaps quadruple the net profit of all Sony divisions (214 million this quarter, in total, for Sony. Projections peg Nintendo at 600-800 million).

Sony is being hit the hardest of the big three. This is not good news.

It would be a good sign if the profits were distributed evenly. They are not: they are heavily weighted towards the earliest years in the last decade. Secondly, those deep losses became booming profits because the PS1 and PS2 were the most popular systems of their time. The PS3 is not. Furthermore, the "other periods when they had negatives," as you call them, were never close to this bad. They didn't last this long -- this looks likely to be Sony's third year in a row in the red for the games division -- and 2007 in particular was not only Sony's worst year, but the worst year in the history of the video game industry, for any company.

You aren't looking at this objectively, Andy. This is hardly the end of the world, but today's report is very discouraging news for Sony. Their profits are down massively, they're still bleeding money in their games division, and they still have the smallest marketshare of the current generation systems. I'll repeat this for emphasis: Sony will be fine, and I strongly suspect they will make a profit in the games division next quarter, but spinning today's FR as good news is absurd. It isn't.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Opiate said:
I'll repeat this for emphasis: Sony will be fine, and I strongly suspect they will make a profit in the games division next quarter, but spinning today's FR as good news is absurd. It isn't.

I agree with all you said. I was not saying its positive news, only that its not as bad as it seems or could be. From an investment point of view, they lost billions over the past few years, but a savvy investor will know that Sony is a large and well founded company with its hands in dozens of industries and thus pockets. And some of the R&D is starting to pay off.

I work with a few financial investors for a large company, and while the average Joe screams and cries at the current market rollercoaster, a savy investor looks at it over time. Yes the situation is bad, but its not the end of Sony by any means as some make it out to be. Thats all I was trying to say.

DarkMehm

Frankfurter said:
I said wow, PSPs software sales completely continue to amaze me. "Tie ratio" for the quarter is under 4, that's ridiculous.

Its LTD Tie Ratio is actually not that far away of GBA's Tie Ratio (~3,8 for PSP and ~4,6 for GBA). So, either GBA's software sales were also ridiculously low or the PSP has not that bad software sales (for an handheld). It could (and should) still do better, that's for sure...

CaptainABAB

http://news.cnet.com/Sonys-quarterl...041_3-6247341.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

Many analysts say share prices of top Japanese companies have fallen so far as to defy reason. Not only Sony but many of Japan's best-known brand names--including Toyota, Panasonic, and Bridgestone--have seen their market value drop below their so-called book value, the total worth of their buildings, equipment, and other physical assets.

As of Tuesday, Sony's market value was $21.4 billion, or about 0.58 percent of its book value, according to Paul Migliorato, head of research at NamiNori, a Honolulu-based equity research firm.

Theoretically, that means an investor could buy Sony or Toyota and turn a profit simply by selling off their assets--suggesting that the companies were worse than worthless as business franchises.

"The market is treating Sony and Toyota like pariahs," Migliorato said. "Any sense of reality has been hijacked by momentum and fear."

Opiate

_leech_ said:

The PS3 outshipped the 360 by .23 million units this quarter.

This continues to support my previous argument: the PS3 will likely catch up to the 360 in late 2010 or 2011. General trends have not changed.

laserbeam

Banned
CaptainABAB said:
http://news.cnet.com/Sonys-quarterl...041_3-6247341.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

Many analysts say share prices of top Japanese companies have fallen so far as to defy reason. Not only Sony but many of Japan's best-known brand names--including Toyota, Panasonic, and Bridgestone--have seen their market value drop below their so-called book value, the total worth of their buildings, equipment, and other physical assets.

As of Tuesday, Sony's market value was $21.4 billion, or about 0.58 percent of its book value, according to Paul Migliorato, head of research at NamiNori, a Honolulu-based equity research firm.

Theoretically, that means an investor could buy Sony or Toyota and turn a profit simply by selling off their assets--suggesting that the companies were worse than worthless as business franchises.

"The market is treating Sony and Toyota like pariahs," Migliorato said. "Any sense of reality has been hijacked by momentum and fear."

That is crazy. Now is the time to strike Bill Gates!!! Take PS3 out in one swift swoop!!

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
CaptainABAB said:

Apple has 24.5 billion in cash reserves. That's 3 billion dollars more than the total market value of Sony. Freaking incredible.

Brimstone said:
Apple has 24.5 billion in cash reserves. That's 3 billion dollars more than the total market value of Sony. Freaking incredible.

Same with Microsoft, too, right? Though last I remember, they were trying to actually spend that cash instead of swimming in it like Apple.

AndyD

aka andydumi
laserbeam said:
That is crazy. Now is the time to strike Bill Gates!!! Take PS3 out in one swift swoop!!

It doesn't work that way. As soon as you start picking up the shares, the price skyrockets... and the fewer there are left the higher the price.

A few American companies were in this situation a few weeks ago as well. Which is why Buffet advised young people with money to invest (young as in not retiring in 5-10 years).

That is mindboggling. I thought Toyota was the #1 car manufacturer, having surpassed GM, what's going on...

FrankT

dammitmattt said:
Same with Microsoft, too, right? Though last I remember, they were trying to actually spend that cash instead of swimming in it like Apple.

At one point in the last year or so they had about $50 billion in cash reserves. With that said they have bought back a lot of stock as well announcing another $40 billion buy-back last month again.

Opiate said:

This continues to support my previous argument: the PS3 will likely catch up to the 360 in late 2010 or 2011. General trends have not changed.

It would take a lot longer than 2 to 3 years at that rate to happen. They'll be lucky to see it happen before the next gen begins. We also know per sales that the 360 sold more in NA during the quarter and I'm pretty sure in Japan the differences over the quarter were negligible. I also highly doubt the EU made up for that much of a difference during the time frame especially when we know from ChartTrack 360 had a boost while the PS3 sales fell post price cut. Reasonably speaking, Sony could have very well pushed retail well before the holiday season actually takes off. Considering this is shipped to retail that really wouldn't have been a bad idea with how the currency rates started to fall in September. Q4 should be quite telling this year.

dammitmattt said:

Yes, it is a joke, thought I am not sure if people got it based on some of the replies. Obviously ((or so I thougth)) a company cannot make profit in Japan measured in yen and have that be a loss simply by coverting yen to dollars.

You can't convert a positive number into another currency and have it not be posititve. Yet the dollar conversion was in parenthesis in the news article proving the numbers in parenthesis do automatically and clearly mean "negative" in business publications.

AndyD said:
I thought Toyota was the #1 car manufacturer, having surpassed GM, what's going on...
They were making a big push to expand into the pickup market just when gas prices started going crazy and cratered the sector.

leroy hacker said:
They were making a big push to expand into the pickup market just when gas prices started going crazy and cratered the sector.

Even more to the point the car industry had massive oversupply problems even before the start of what is surely a world wide recession.

oldergamer

Opiate said:

so 230k. Saying it as .23 million seems silly. Imho It's not going to happen at all at that rate. That amount is easily erased after the holiday shopping period. and shipped versus sold is a pretty tough argument to make. MS wouldn't need to ship as many units if the channel had a decent supply.

Banned
Opiate said:

At the current rate of 230,000 units per quarter the PS3 will catch the 360 in 6.18 years. So not 2010 or 2011 but 2014 which is too late.

Karma said:
At the current rate of 230,000 units per quarter the PS3 will catch the 360 in 6.18 years. So not 2010 or 2011 but 2014 which is too late.

That's assuming both companies will continue to support their systems at the same rate until that period.

Top Bottom