• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should bring back Warhawk for the PS4

Warhawk was, without a doubt, my favorite multiplayer game of the last generation. Everything about the game was perfect. The scale, the controls, the maps, everything. Sony should totally bring this back to the PS4. With the massive userbase the PS4 has now, there's a decent chance it could sell well (not at $60, of course. What is this, No Man's Sky?), but they could sell it for $15

I just really want to play Warhawk again.

PS3's best multiplayer game, in my opinion, and the best Sound Design on a PS3 game, in my opinion.

Warhawks flying overhead, bullets wizzing by, a vehicle driving up behind you, the sound design was fantastic.

But I think this is the 10th time we have had this thread, and a majority of people all agree, and then we all realize it probably isn't happening.

PS3's best multiplayer game, in my opinion, and the best Sound Design on a PS3 game, in my opinion.

Warhawks flying overhead, bullets wizzing by, a vehicle driving up behind you, the sound design was fantastic.
Let's not forget the hero music! Nothing was better than sniping someone or making an amazing kill and just having that hero music start playing!
But I think this is the 10th time we have had this thread, and a majority of people all agree, and then we all realize it probably isn't happening.

Eventually they have to listen :(

BadAss2961

Warhawk was pretty brilliant. Looking back, it's amazing what it achieved on early PS3 and how there hasn't really been anything similar since, at least not on consoles. Except Starhawk, I guess.

A cheap, accessible remaster for PS4 would be great.

melkier33

Yes! I wish I played it more on release but in beta I was in the top 10 at least, I don't really remember. Such a great fun game. And I love the sound effects of hawks flying over head. Didn't care much for star hawk. But, Yes Another! *slams cup on the floor*

npa189

Warhawk was my first PS3 game and it was so good! Just upres it and put it on PSN for $15. Loved mobbing around in a tank in that game.

skynidas

Banned
fuck the single player people are asking. this game was the best multiplayer game on the PS3, i spent so many fucking hours in it. the sniper was so good, the binoculars to call down the airstrike was amazing, and hitting a warhawk with it was fantastic. man, i would love it to be on the PS4.

Nerf the Hawks a bit though.

Fuck that noise. If your team was doing their job in their own hawks and with AA then they don't need to be.

fuck the single player people are asking. this game was the best multiplayer game on the PS3, i spent so many fucking hours in it. the sniper was so good, the binoculars to call down the airstrike was amazing, and hitting a warhawk with it was fantastic. man, i would love it to be on the PS4.

Exactly! Sony should have taken the money it took to make the SP for Starhawk and used it to market the god damn game

gogosox82

Agreed. Warhawk has one of the best mp games I've ever played. They need to bring it to the ps4. MP ONLY THOUGH. Don't put in a sp mode like Starhawk did. I think that ended up hurting the game in the long run.

The skill ceiling was insane, though. It was very daunting for new players ( if they joined Warhawk late in its life-span ). But man, once it clicked... It was amazing.

So yeah, I'm all in for this notion. Bring it back!

What's the diff between warhawk and Starhawk?

Starhawk was the sequel. Included some neat ideas like some "base building" mechanics, and included a shitty SP campaign. It fell flat from lack of marketing, though. Like, Sony told eight people about the game, then shipped it. Also it convoluted the simplistic gameplay of the original by trying to do "too much" in a way

Fuck that noise. If your team was doing their job in their own hawks and with AA then they don't need to be.

Good theory, but AA is crap against good pilots not to mention a death sentance due to the big 'I'm here kill me now' sign that they are, and the moment one team gains air control the other is screwed due to being outnumbered.

The balance is whack, everyone on a team needs work together to have a tiny chance to regain air control, but a good pilot can just dominate with a couple of others.

Liamario

Banned
I didn't like either of the last two incarnations. The concept itself is worth exploring though. Though I think battlefront will fill that gap going forward.

Starhawk had everything that Warhawk had (ground, vehicle, and air combat) and even improved it in some ways (ground combat was far superior) , and added some Real-Time Strategy base building and a SP campaign. It had TONS of potential but some poor design decisions kept it from being better. Lack of marketing also hurt.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Starhawk had this base-building thing going on, which players were mixed about. Also, the Hawks or whatever transformed from jets into mechs, instead of going from a flying mode to a hover mode. Weapons were less often found at set locations on the map, and more often a part of the bases you were meant to build (there were also some kind of "perks" that would let you spawn in with certain weapons already equipped).

And numerous other little things that put off Warhawk diehards. Someone else can tell it better than me. The RTS style base building was the biggest new/changed feature though. Really cool idea, but I don't think it's necessarily what fans were interested in.

5taquitos

I didn't like either of the last two incarnations. The concept itself is worth exploring though. Though I think battlefront will fill that gap going forward.

Battlefront is great fun, but its flight controls don't come anywhere close to the perfection that was Warhawk.

You know, All Lightbox had to do to make Starhawk great was take Warhawk, make it prettier, and add in space combat. Boom, done. It's a shame they laid off a good chunk of their staff after Starhawk flopped and Sony ended their contract with them.

Tapejara

I actually quite liked the changes Starhawk made, but I view the two as completely separate games. I'd like to see both stick around because I love them each for different reasons.

ZangBa

I feel like Warhawk was ahead of its time, at least in console multiplayer terms.

I liked Starhawk a lot, too.

I think what doomed starhawk more than anything was the lack of a server browser and ability to host and customize games.

I loved warhawk, I remember the initial month when no one knew how to fly, so good and fun. Dogfights were awesome.

I also like those TDM in small maps with tons of players.

DLC was good too but it fragmented the player base. If a sequel was gonna happen, they should make map and vehicle DLC free and charge for cosmetics.

I think what doomed starhawk more than anything was the lack of a server browser and ability to host and customize games.

I loved warhawk, I remember the initial month when no one knew how to fly, so good and fun. Dogfights were awesome.

I also like those TDM in small maps with tons of players.

DLC was good too but it fragmented the player base. If a sequel was gonna happen, they should make map and vehicle DLC free and charge for cosmetics.

You know, I was just thinking that Warhawk would make a good F2P game. Charge for cosmetics or emblems or shit.

Totally yes! In the meantime, if you have a good internet connection both can be played right now on PS4 via PS Now, both a la carte or via their subscription model. I've only tried Warhawk through it. Unfortunate thing is PS Now does not support DLC, so the Warhawk that is available is the Warhawk that launched in August 2007, meaning no dropships, no apcs, and no jetpacks.

I still host servers on my PS3 occasionally. That's how much I love this game. Hell, there was even a trophy for hosting a server for 60 minutes or so

Top Bottom