• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to cut TV, Smartphone lineup; sees growth in PlayStation, image sensors

Exile20

Sony relying on PS4 for their profits is not smart, it's not a big enough market to sustain their sprawling business. I worry for Sony's future, their other businesses are burning money.

Sony is not growing anymore, and if the tv and phones are cut then they will only have PS4, image sensor and life insurance really.

The PS4 does not make enough profit for them and if Apple, etc decide to make thier own sensor then they are really in trouble.

geordiemp

Fair enough. Yes I know that the blacks are better in the W9. I thought W9 was the high tier, and W8 was the mid tier, didn't think there was a difference in their years of release?

Nah 3 versions. The Ultra as well.

Yup, W900 series from 2013 had good black panel. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm

In 2014 they released W955

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl55w955b-201403103661.htm

The Sony KDL-55W955 uses an IPS LCD panel from LG Display, and our worst fear was realised.

They changed the panel just for this model (god knows why)

This is one of the poorest black-level response we have on record

So their BEST model 1080p TV in 2014 they gave the worst panel to....I am surprised how crazy that is...

Yes the W8 is the best gaming TV they have in 2014

Bold One

I'm hoping Zomg makes an appearance in this thread to give his analysis.

Always thought zomg was a lady..

Anyway, I like the Sony phones, the build quality in them is outstanding, the things I have done to my xperia Z...but it doesn't have a single scratch as for the TV, that may be a lost cause unless the prices come down...waaaaaaaaaaaay down.

all in all, Sony make the best quality products in their respective markets, in build and design, but they are too pricey, they need to find the sweet spot between luxury and affordability, its why the PS4 is doing so well. The fact that they didn't know that is the most worrying stat of all

Shengar

BRAVIAS are the best in the industry. Shame people are getting some low tier Samsung over them
Superior product being hammered by cheaper one, that's a very familiar story.
It's bound to be happened since TV is a mass audience market, not enthusiast like camera does so quality doesn't mean jackshit.
Their inability to market that their TVs is the best for gaming also contributed a lot to their failure.

I don't.., I don't understand this.

Disney?

Recent industry fanfiction by Polygon

Oersted

Sony is not growing anymore, and if the tv and phones are cut then they will only have PS4, image sensor and life insurance really.

The PS4 does not make enough profit for them and if Apple, etc decide to make thier own sensor then they are really in trouble.

There is the rumor that LG G4 will use their sensors, but LG also wants to use their own stuff more.
According to this report they are not cutting TV and mobile divisions completely, it will be just less.

What about Sony Pictures? Do they not make money?

cakely

Their tvs are actually among some of the best for gaming, and you're not playing the panel lottery like you tend to with a samsung.

Gaming modes have been getting progressively worse on tvs since all people seem to care about is a cheap price, and Sony has been more or less the hold out from that.

Yep, agreed. I got a KDL 65W850A just last week. 65" and 18ms response time. That's tough to beat.

Oersted

It depends. New Bond or Spiderman out? Profit. The rest? Well, yeah. Their biggest problem is they lack their missing own successful IP, because of that, they miss out on lots of merchandise money.
Just look at Disney or 20th Century Fox.

Takao

Banned
PS+ subs quadrupled since launch and PS will make them boatloads in 3 years. And Japanese pubs love Vita, were my 2 main takeaways from the presentation.

A recent dearth of announcements for that platform kind of says otherwise.

So they're gonna push hard for Playstation to make them money? Wonder how that's gonna look.

Sad news for their TVs though, I've always been a fan of Sony tvs as the best ones I've ever owned were either them or Samsung.

Sorry to break it to you guys, but I'm pretty sure Chinner is bang on the money with that post.

It's gonna happen. MS Naughty Dog purchase is a question of 'when' not 'if'.

I dunno... you go continue your meltdown in that Square-Enix thread? Haha
jk

Seriously though, if you've only had three Samsung TVs your entire life, how do you know they have "better" anything than any other TV on the market when you've had nothing to compare them to?

Because I have had other TVs. Lots. But those three are the main ones that are used heavily for gaming, movies, television, etc. My Sony Bravia was an okay TV, but the image quality was nowhere near the Samsung, and it had pretty bad input lag for games that required precise timing. Playing Mega Man 9 on it in my bedroom was a nightmare.

entremet

I think Sony sees TVs as too iconic to their brand to completely let go.

They should dump it.

They're stubbornly sticking with it, even though no one makes money in that market.

rich7sena

Banned
I think they should give up on their mobile division. I don't really see that as a place where they can turn worthwhile profits without chasing market share. I still think they can continue being a major player in televisions--and they do make some good sets--but they need to offer more affordable entry-level models and a more cohesive lineup, overall. A lot of people want to buy Sony, even if they're just paying for the logo.

I think Sony should consolidate their hardware markets to: games, displays, and cameras.

Well, having 2 flagships a year is not that smart. 1 flagship a year, with two models (normal and compact), lowering your low-mid range offerings would be better. Don't finish that range offering, just lower the quantity available.

And price them accordingly! The Xperia M2, for instance, was priced a little higher than the Moto G (f.e.) while having inferior specs. The M2 is a really good phone (I'm looking to buy the Aqua one) but asking 50€ more for a product that's inferior... of course you won't sell.

Apathy

Why don't people buy the Xperia phones? Sony makes the best smart phones.

I know it's a risk, but they need to pump more money into advertising like Samsung did when they saturated the market. As much as we want to believe that it's the quality of a product, history tells us that advertising had as much or greater influence than a product does sadly.

rich7sena

Banned
I think Sony sees TVs as too iconic to their brand to completely let go.

They should dump it.

They're stubbornly sticking with it, even though no one makes money in that market.

I agree, but I don't think they should dump it. TVs are a large part of Sony's legacy and to dump them may leave them as a forgotten player in hardware in many consumer's eyes. They've just made a multimillion dollar investment in bringing their Sony Experience pads to Best Buys, and I think they should ride the wave of their investments in the market for at least a little while.

Atruvius

I know it's a risk, but they need to pump more money into advertising like Samsung did when they saturated the market. As much as we want to believe that it's the quality of a product, history tells us that advertising had as much or greater influence than a product does sadly.

Yup. I have seen zero ads for Xperia phones after Z3 Compact got released. And the only ad I saw before that was a countdown timer for its release here on Gaf.

dock

I'm pretty grateful for services like Bravia Sync which integrates my TV nicely with the PS3 and the PS4. It's a luxury that only Sony can offer right now, I guess.

I bought that TV last month, after having a 32inch Bravia for 8 years. It's so fucking good, but my one regret is that I notice that I could've just about fit a 55inch in my room. Ah well, the money saved is probably worth it.
The 50" is definitely big enough for our living room, but the tiny GUI on some PS4 games is making me grateful we have something this big. :)

Downsize your weaker brands and allocate more capital to your stronger brands.

Let's see your Playstation brand grow.

The PS brand could use a nice cash injection.

Clefargle

unfortunately, this is the right move for Sony. I love their TV's and the phones look nice, but they havn't had a hold on that market for a while. PS4 is taking off and there is no better time than now to capitalize on that and focus on a winning product. Sony as a whole needs PlayStation more than ever, glad they are treating it so.

Aeqvitas

Didn't Sony recently say there were doubling down on 4K tvs? Which IMO are still a couple years out from a price point of mass adoption. I don't think Sony really has the perceived lead in quality in TV sets any more, or it doesn't matter. Look at the rise of Vizio and Samsung in the market. To me Sony TVs just are more expensive for no discernible reason besides them holding on the a long lost brand reputation.

Rolf NB

The only reason why I didn't buy an Xperia and went Samsung is that they removed the buttons and made them part of the main screen. Fuck that shit.

Downsize your weaker brands and allocate more capital to your stronger brands.

Let's see your Playstation brand grow.

The PS brand could use a nice cash injection.

I wonder if Sony would acquire or create new studios are just double down on their top studios [ND, SSM, Mm, PD]. Also this can lead to them snapping up some 3rd party exclusives.

Oersted

I wonder if Sony would acquire or create new studios are just double down on their top studios [ND, SSM, Mm, PD]. Also this can lead to them snapping up some 3rd party exclusives.

Giving how relatively poor their handling of their non-american studios is... wouldn't expect it.

kewlmyc

Sucks because Sony's TVs usually have the lowest display lag, but whatever. Already bought mine about 3 months ago so I should be set for a while.

joecanada

Sucks because Sony's TVs usually have the lowest display lag, but whatever. Already bought mine about 3 months ago so I should be set for a while.

yes they will keep making them maybe just less models, etc...

they are the best for gaming, whoever said samsung doesn't look at specs only the cheap price they paid...

also xperia phones are the best.. have a Z1 and it gets double the use of my PC ...plus waterproof lol

So if the PS5 becomes a PS3 level disaster, they company is effectively done?

By that time, I expect Apple to have their own image sensors also.

Exile20

I agree, but I don't think they should dump it. TVs are a large part of Sony's legacy and to dump them may leave them as a forgotten player in hardware in many consumer's eyes. They've just made a multimillion dollar investment in bringing their Sony Experience pads to Best Buys, and I think they should ride the wave of their investments in the market for at least a little while.

Sony is becoming less and less a household name and dropping TV or mobile will only leave PS4 in the typical household. This is not good at all for them. I am not sure how they can start rebuilding the brand.

lol what does that have to do with profit ?
I already said they made a profit, the hacking incident will cost them money obviously.

Carl

I bought a £500 Sony Bravia in January and absolutely LOVE it. But this is definitely the right thing to do.

Top Bottom