• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z4 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't doubt it. My last two phones were the Xperia SP and Xperia Z1C - both fine and no issues. I'm just genuinely annoyed that I've been blown out by Sony and feel effectively it's my word against theres. If I had dropped it or it had been my fault I'm the first to man up and say 'fair enough' but this effectively self cracked and they're flat out saying 'nope'

Anyway sorry to thread derail, Im out. Just pray this Z4 is better I guess.

Oh i understand you completely, i would be pissed too if i had to go through your situation.

Hope you get it the whole situations sorted though.

I will say be careful on insurance though, I know with our contents insurance with Lloyds we tried to get our surround sound done under it since it stopped working suddenly but because they considered it a manufacturing fault they wouldn’t cover it, they even said if I had hit it with a hammer they would which really pissed me off. I suppose you can use your correspondence with Sony to say that the manufacturers consider it your fault so hopefully you should be covered.

Theonik

Disgusting reduction in batt capacity.
I think the race to a slimmer chassis will cause more breaking glass. Z1 Z2 don't see such issues
I should probably have shown that they were actually able to get a good thickness to battery reduction ratio between the Z2 and Z3 better than the almost linear one seen in Z3 to Z4 which by all accounts appears to be them trading batteries for thickness, which is pretty bad. The Z1 to Z2 was actually even better since they made it thinner and gave us 200mAh of extra batteries.

But of course as a consumer I think in most cases I'd choose getting more battery over making the device thinner at this point.

This will probably be my next update from my Z1.

The Z1 is probably the most solid phone i've ever owned.

Design is just classy and the only real waterproof phone, love that feature !!!

I was thinking of maybe switching to Samsung but once i saw the new S6, i was turned off again by it's ugly design and cheap plastic. Samsung are really bad at design, never understood why their Galaxy products sell so much...

I was thinking of maybe switching to Samsung but once i saw the new S6, i was turned off again by it's ugly design and cheap plastic. Samsung are really bad at design, never understood why their Galaxy products sell so much...

You obviously not seen the S6. Cheap plastic eh?

mjontrix

Wait till September, also on z1 here.

The one from the leaks is that one not this.

Aesthet1c

I was waiting for this since the beginning of the year and then I finally got impatient and picked up an S6 a week or so ago. Looking at the Z4 specs, I'm glad I went with the Samsung.

hitsugi

They need to just take a year off and come back with an actual upgrade. This is tiresome.. but Xperia 3 owners should be feeling good.

Kyoufu

This "spec bump" does nothing for me. My Z2 has 3GB RAM too. Looks like I'll be waiting for the Z5, if anything.

daemonic

Banned
Looks nice but same old design. I'm running Lollipop on the Z1 Compact and it's amazing. Just replaced the back plate and it looks brand new. No need to upgrade.

MercuryLS

Banned
Indeed. And before this incident I'd be one of the guys to read my post and say 'Well it's not happened to me yet' *knock on wood*

Now it's happened to me and the response I've had from Sony absolutely sucks. I'm rational enough to say you may get lucky or the Z4 may be different, but it's soured me from the brand that's for sure and now I'm concerned even when fixed / given a replacement on insurance I'm going to be spending the next 2 years of my contract staring down the same issue.

Whatever glass they used on the Z3C, it's shit. It shouldn't be cracking from temperature changes, I've read way too many stories on XDA about people's phones cracking in their pockets or on a table that it made me wary of buying it. It doesn't help that Sony's warranty support seems to be shit too. If they use Gorilla Glass 4 in future Xperia's it shouldn't be too bad, but using tempered glass like on the Z3C is just not going to cut it.

And to the people saying that Samsung's S6 and S6 Edge isn't anything special, try one, they are far better designed than any Xperia I've ever used. Samsung went from last place when it comes to high quality design and build to number 1 with the S6's IMO (outside of Apple).

UVG RAVEN

Banned
I have the Z3 compact and the only good thing about it is the battery life. I switched from a 5s to a HTC S, and now I've had my Z3 compact since November.
I wish the iPhones had decent battery life, it would make my choice a lot easier.

Perfectly happy and content with my Z3 Compact. Beautifully engineered and wonderfully designed; I see no compelling reason to upgrade for a year or two yet. It's a little disheartening at how rapidly Sony release these incremental Xperia upgrades barely giving their devices a chance to breathe but I suppose the inevitable Z4 Compact could be tempting down the line.

Does anyone know if those leaked images of the metal version were real? Were they just conceptual images or do they represent a planned and real product?

vitacola

Does anyone know if those leaked images of the metal version were real? Were they just conceptual images or do they represent a planned and real product?
Hum, I thought that the Z4 will feature a metal back? At least the German press told me that.

A metal back Z4 Compact would be tempting. I hate the vulnerable (regarding scratches ...) plastic back of my Z1 Compact.

nataku

Sony really needs to figure out a way to get their phones on all US carriers if they want to have any success over here.

gogogow

Sony ui is close to lolipop design so I'm not sure if people dislike that. Look at Sony notification drawer, much sexy and simple. And unlike s6 gallery, Sony album navigation is fast even on a sd801 and emmc storage. I have a note4 and I much prefer Sony ui over the gaudy circles and color scheme

With z2 lollipop, I can touch the battery/wifi icon to go straight to their settimgs. I can rearrange the notification drawer icons order. I can also rearrange apps order in the drawer. Can't do that with note 4.

I don't understand why Samsung still don't change their icons. They look really dated and so gingerbread-ish.

I updated the Z2 to Lollipop, it is truly beautiful. There are some things they need to fix, like adding back "close all apps". Another thing I don't like is how they changed " battery usage" Now it doesn't say for how long my phone has been on, only how long it will last.

Perfectly happy and content with my Z3 Compact. Beautifully engineered and wonderfully designed; I see no compelling reason to upgrade for a year or two yet. It's a little disheartening at how rapidly Sony release these incremental Xperia upgrades barely giving their devices a chance to breathe but I suppose the inevitable Z4 Compact could be tempting down the line.

Same for me. The Z3C is just a wonderful phone.
If Sony continues as before, then there won't be a Z4 compact and the next 'Compact' will be a Z5.
I would be ok with this, since having the Z3C I don't believe I need a new phone soon. Maybe not even a Z5C sometime next year.

I'd love a compact version. Do it, Sony!

I don't think that will come. There wasn't a Z2C either.
If there is not Z4C, just go for the Z3C. It's close to perfect.

I am shocked at the ui hate lol. Its stock android with a few icons changed. If you don't like that, you should consider switching from android. Personally, I love Sony's unbloated UI's.

DieH@rd

Banned
I am shocked at the ui hate lol. Its stock android with a few icons changed. If you don't like that, you should consider switching from android. Personally, I love Sony's unbloated UI's.

And they added few useful app shortcuts to the multitask menu [calculator & stuff]. Nothing big was changed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Lulzy stuff. The new Galaxy S6 is all clad in alluminium alloy and Gorilla Glass 4.

I don't understand why Samsung still don't change their icons. They look really dated and so gingerbread-ish.

The latest iteration on TouchWiz, as in the one shipped with the Galaxy S6, is actually damn nice and close to stock. Flat icons, non-redundant menus, blazing fast performance. I've gone from hating the shit out of it (seriously, previous versions were TRASH) to being every bit as comfortable with it as with stock Android. The only thing I'd change is the alarm clock.

Sony probably has the best UI that isn't stock.

I've toyed enough with the latest version of Sony's UI to say that it still feels tacked on. It is better than the one shipped with its KitKat phones, but you can only do so much with Sony's layer-upon-layer approach to UI.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh look its an xperia Z1, I mean Z2, sorry I mean Z3.

They're not even trying anymore. No wonder no one wants them.

We're they not trying when the Z2 had 3GB ram, 2 day battery life and was waterproof? Maybe this just feels a smaller update because previous ones were so solid? So what if it looks similar? The iPhone 4/4s/5 was very similar for about 3 years.

Yes, this is arguably a smaller step forward, but lots of phones this year are doing that - really only the S6 that is bringing something new to the table.

z4_02ctu93.png

yawn2.jpg

Yep that's a smartphone.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So? It's clean, functional, uniform and works very well.

It is boring and unimaginative as shit, which is precisely what Sony doesn't need.

I'm hoping that Sony's global flagship is something flashier and bolder, because as fine as the Z4 may be, it's just the fifth page of a not particularly thrilling book.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What's the next big thing in phones supposed to be? They seem to have plateud in terms of design.

Samsung's Galaxy S6 is doing something fairly radical with its Edge version, plus both models actually feel premium for a change. LG's G4 also feels fresh on account of its unusual button placement and it will also be offered with a leather backplate, adding further differentiation.

The next big thing is smaller edges/bezels, which is a crock of shit IMO, as shown by the gorgeous but not very usable Galaxy S6 Edge.

So? It's clean, functional, uniform and works very well.

Is a boring black rectangle, like a kajillion other smartphones with no personality or anything that makes it stand up. This phone has nothing going on for it, a Flagship device is something that generates a desire, I look at this phone and feel nothing.

Samsung's Galaxy S6 is doing something fairly radical with its Edge version, plus both models actually feel premium for a change. LG's G4 also feels fresh on account of its unusual button placement and it will also be offered with a leather backplate, adding further differentiation.

The next big thing is smaller edges/bezels, which is a crock of shit IMO, as shown by the gorgeous but not very usable Galaxy S6 Edge.

I know the S6 is very good, but I am also trying to find something other than that, or else I know my brother would stay on his S4 by the time our upgrade shows up in July. It may not be the Z4, but just something... maybe the G4.

catmincer

Does it really though? I don't see any sense in Sony's mobile strategy. All this is so bizarre.

Yes. Japan is the reason there are so many Xperia phones. Carriers demand new devices every few months and Sony obliges because Japan is their top market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom