• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's London Studios - Eight Days in full production, The Getaway to follow

sajj316

andycapps said:
This is the same studio that part of the team is working on Home, correct?

Yes, I think that is correct. Thats the problem. Gamers want both exclusive games and HOME to be released but one team working on it. I would imagine that resources are swapped in and out to get Killzone 2 this year too. Sony London is talented but need more talent with the number of projects given to them by SCE.

Doc Evils

sajj316 said:
Yes, I think that is correct. Thats the problem. Gamers want both exclusive games and HOME to be released but one team working on it. I would imagine that resources are swapped in and out to get Killzone 2 this year too. Sony London is talented but need more talent with the number of projects given to them by SCE.

not to mention they are quite a small team too.

Dibbz

Doc Evils said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they made the sequel. :lol
That a good point actually. They have already worked with the engine and the devs, so why not. I guess they'd want to make an enitre new engine though if they were going to make a sequel.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sajj316 said:
Thats the problem. Gamers want both exclusive games and HOME to be released but one team working on it.
Personally, I'd just like to see better management of their projects. They've obviously been biting off more than they can chew.

besada said:
Where is Afrika?!?!
With Japan Studios, not SCEE.

So how many development teams are there in England? Cambridge, Liverpool, and London? I lived there for about 6 years and never got the chance to visit any one of the studios. :(

Busty

Banned
BlackGoku03 said:
So how many development teams are there in England? Cambridge, Liverpool, and London? I lived there for about 6 years and never got the chance to visit any one of the studios. :(

Sony own Motorstorm developers Evolution as well now.

Barring studios actually owned by Sony they are numerous second party teams with development deals with SCe-WWS such as Media Molecule and Relentless among others.

acevans2

I don't really like the bad-ass-dudes-shooting-stuff-in-the-desert vibe of Eight Days, but whatever. If they make a good game, I'll play it.

iceatcs

oh damn, I forgot about next week 6th :) I hope they will show there rather than wait till E3.

At least GTAIV will keep me busy.

Kittonwy

Banned
anddo0 said:
Sweet!

I own both Getaway games but never finished them because of the poor controls.
The franchise has a lot going for it but they need to fix the damn controls.

If it has Uncharted controls, it would be great from a controls standpoint.

EverSoTrendy said:
Best news I heard all day. The Getaway series is so awesome.

Agreed...I actually prefer the series to GTA...well, we will see with that. The new GTA looks pretty amazing. STill if they could create the getaway with the graphical prowess of the tech demos, then it will at least look better than anything else

CamHostage

Thank god for the prioritizing. As pretty as The Getaway PS3 demo looks, I'd much rather see it in GT5 than to actually have to play it, while Eight Days really has me on edge to see something awesome.

Cardon

Well I'm a big fan of The Getaway games despite their design flaws and am eagerly looking forward to the PS3 version. Here's hoping Eight Day turns out to be a solid title in terms of game mechanics.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Zaangamer said:
The first getaway was a good game. Wouldn't mind a next-gen version
I enjoyed it too. And although a lot of people may disagree, I liked the fact that your car couldn't take a thousand hits, or would keep going when you T-boned another car. The thing would crap out with a single good hit to the engine. I found that kind of realism immersive, and it made you take better car of your vehicle.

Busty said:
Though this article does at least confirm what we already knew (sight unseen) that Eight Days (and to a lesser extent The Getaway) are still on their way I don't think it's really gives us an insight into just what Sony London has cooking beyond what's already announced.

THIS

Kittonwy

Banned
Does anyone know if Naresh Hirani is still there?
Indifferent2.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
interesting news

I care more about the Getaway 3 then Eight Days , I had a very bad feeling about that London Studio will made it just like GTA/Saints Row , because since G1 a lot of people and specially PS fans want it to be GTA clone in Europe .

and about Eight Days , well McBradders said that Eight Days was still going when he left , so i don't know from where these cancellation rumors come from, Surfer Girl maybe ?

Pimpwerx said:
Pre-production on Getaway...still??? That's nuts. What are all those London assets for then? Why were they demoing an engine for this game back in 2005? Pandemonium. PEACE.

i don't think it was an ""Engine"" , the Silver Car demo ( when Phil destroyed it with bullets ) and the Explosion demo were just tech demo for the psychic potential of the Cell .

also , it they want to do Killzone 2-ish thing and compete with their Target render they need the time , Quality is everything .

but on the other hand i wonder why there is no Engines Sharing between SCEE and SCEE , that will help them, just use Uncharted Engine for Eight Days MAZAFAKA and reduce your budget and give PS3 owners some games , and plz use Killzone Engine for Xun's London Studio upcoming secret FPS :lol

Busty said:
Though this article does at least confirm what we already knew (sight unseen) that Eight Days (and to a lesser extent The Getaway) are still on their way I don't think it's really gives us an insight into just what Sony London has cooking beyond what's already announced.

EDIT: FUCK

Busty said:
Taking apart Wiimotes with screwdrivers to see what makes them work and prank calling RARE.
after near losing my mind trying to read the GTA comparison thread, this made me laugh long and hard. Now to just get through these last few hours before midnight...

damn PST

FightyF

Banned
Topher said:
I enjoyed it too. And although a lot of people may disagree, I liked the fact that your car couldn't take a thousand hits, or would keep going when you T-boned another car. The thing would crap out with a single good hit to the engine. I found that kind of realism immersive, and it made you take better car of your vehicle.

That sort of stuff is being applauded in GTA IV. Took a while for gamers to smarten up. :)

Another great aspect was the congestion and amount of traffic. If you were driving 80Km/h in that game, it was a white knuckle experience. In the older GTAs (and other GTA inspired games), you could drive 150Km/h and there was nothing to it.

Anyways, I've ranted on the great things about the Getaway in many previous threads.

Although I'm dissappointed it seems like a ways away, it'll be good that it's a second PS3 effort, and by that time would probably take the PS3's hardware to its limits.

Kittonwy

Banned
Oneself said:
Thanks to The Getaway, we have hud-free games and we can regain health without med packs.

If they didn't do the whole leaning mechanics healing would have been fine, the game really needed a few tweaks and tuning to be good, it's too bad that didn't happen for the first game or the sequel. I think there were things that were left out that should have been in like an on-screen map in the corner (or through some sort of GPS). Sometimes I think it's a matter of design sensibilities that some designers just don't have, maybe because they don't play games enough.

mrpogi23

so... that means theyre just starting to make it?
it seems like the ones theyve shown few years ago are just tech demo. theyre not really playable.

Top Bottom