• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita x Inafune) - Conference impressions and videos added to OP

Basically it's like this: there are many ways to texture a pixel on screen when it does not directly correspond to a single pixel on a texture. The simplest (and worst) is point sampling, which simply takes the closest pixel in the texture and uses that. This leads to texture aliasing and horrible flickering.
Better sampling methods are, in order from lower to higher quality: bilinear filtering without and with mip maps and anisotropic filtering, from levels 2 to 16.

No one sane has used point sampling (except on DS, since you more or less have to) in games in a decade or more. Fafalada's quip about the supposed "NDS port" is referring to this fact.

I've known about other forms of sampling, but the ultra low quality of point sampling is probably why I've never heard of it.

The art for this game reminds me of Kentaro Miura's Berserk, and a little bit of Hiroya Oku's GANTZ. Definitely a good thing, because I dig the artwork in both of those manga a lot.

MightyKAC

Wow, after looking at these pictures Sony green lighting Book of Isaac doesn't seem like such a stretch anymore.

Mondriaan

I don't think this will catch on the way MH did (the theme just doesn't strike me as one with mass appeal, even though I think it's great), but it'll probably work as a viable alternative for Vita owners hungry for something similar.
MH wasn't exactly a smash hit when it first came out on the PSP, so any comparison between the latest iteration of MH and a new IP is a little naive if we're talking about mass appeal.

Durante

It's probably just bad captures, but the brightness/gamma is really out of whack in those screenshots and it gives everything a washed-out appearance.
It could just be designed for Vita's OLED screen, which has much higher saturation and contrast than anything most people would watch these screenshots on (unless it's their OLED smartphone).

Twinduct

Man that is some disturbing images.
I'm semi pitching a tent here though.

Looking forward to the trailer tomorrow. I assume they can get away with all this gore if the action is fast and etc.

Although the game might be more interesting as you have to force the powers out of your PC. I mean you the player is the Wizard or master or whatever and the PC would scream in pain as his body is forced to remove his eye.

Yeah think I need to re-evaluate my life :/

Replicant

70l_4fa9fc8421288.jpg

46l_4fa9fc8535a96.jpg

I'm not a squeamish person but these two images just disturb me for some reason.

Takuan

I only give a real verdict once I see the game on the Vita's screen.

You and I know better, but unfortunately, most people who don't already own a Vita aren't going to make their purchasing decisions on that basis. This is a glaring issue in my mind, as there are way too many screenshots of games floating around the interwebs that are are not at all representative of how those games actually look on the system.

On-topic, I hate that this is being designed with a 3DS port in mind. I understand why it's being done, but I hate that they're doing it because the Vita version is worse off.

MH wasn't exactly a smash hit when it first came out on the PSP, so any comparison between the latest iteration of MH and a new IP is a little naive if we're talking about mass appeal.
It's early speculation, that's all. You have people in here who were anticipating the game's reveal, only to be turned off by the gore. The game's themes are clearly a bit strong for some folks, whereas this isn't even a concern for a MH game.

Ah, yeah, I just noticed OP mentioned the developer as being Marvelous. My bad.

Japan is stuck in the mediocre graphics ghetto these days :/

This looks as good as any of the western imput to my eyes...backgrounds look a little weak in the screens, but monster models look pretty darn good.

Hoping the jaggies are not as bad as in Uncharted...that game has some nice visuals in parts, but I think/hope the vita can do quite a bit better

Takuan: I dont think it is being designed with a 3ds port in mind, Im pretty sure that was a piss take on the textures...we will see how it looks proper on the morrow

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
On-topic, I hate that this is being designed with a 3DS port in mind. I understand why it's being done, but I hate that they're doing it because the Vita version is worse off.

Where do you get the idea it's being designed with a 3DS port in mind?

ReaperXL7

You and I know better, but unfortunately, most people who don't already own a Vita aren't going to make their purchasing decisions on that basis. This is a glaring issue in my mind, as there are way too many screenshots of games floating around the interwebs that are are not at all representative of how those games actually look on the system.

I'm pretty sure that Sony has a claim to the IP rights, so I'm not sure why they would ever let it go to the 3DS...

Maedhros

Talk about a stretch... where the hell did you even get that idea?

Globox_82

Banned

lol what? Sony is publishing the game = Sony owns the IP. Always been the case.

Kyoufu

Sony funded game being designed with a 3DS port in mind...

Right...

Dusky

huh?

Wow, this game looks amazing. The level desing is really creative and wicked, I'd love to play those levels! Another great game for the Vita lineup. Hopefully it gets released worldwide so everyone gets to play this.

Wait, what? Are you just deducing things or is that an actual fact? Because there's the "Sony Computer Entertainment Inc" which I think refers to the publisher at Famitsu's site and the "[PSV]PSVita" icon... a spiritual sequel may be possible, but a port?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
theBishop said:
It's looking like Golden Abyss won't be topped in 2012
VT4 Vita visually outclasses GA in just about every way possible. Unless this is the "sports games don't count" thread.

If this is on the scale of MH games I didn't really expect it to be that spectacular (that said first DS didn't look particularly great in first unveiling either, and that turned out pretty great looking in the end).

Number45

Thought this looked great from the initial early scan, and I'm not disappointed to far. Looks great, really hope it's a good game as well.

pulga

Banned
Lol at everyone in here getting their panties in a bunch over someone mentioning the word "3DS".

Concept looks great, hope to see a video soon. Texture work is all over the place, though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Lol at everyone in here getting their panties in a bunch over someone mentioning the word "3DS".

Concept looks great, hope to see a video soon. Texture work is all over the place, though.

It has no place in this thread so I don't even see a reason why it was brought up. Classic thread derailment.

theBishop

Banned
VT4 Vita visually outclasses GA in just about every way possible. Unless this is the "sports games don't count" thread.

If this is on the scale of MH games I didn't really expect it to be that spectacular (that said first DS didn't look particularly great in first unveiling either, and that turned out pretty great looking in the end).

Sports games definitely count, I just don't agree in this case. Yes VT4's resolution and framerate contribute to overall better image quality. But the size, scale, and dynamism of environments in Golden Abyss is far more impressive to me.

One sports game I'd love to see on Vita is Fight Night. If that had VT4's image quality along with crazy face-physics, we could have a conversation

Top Bottom