• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sound of Freedom' Beats 'Indiana Jones' in Incredible Box-Office Coup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The feat of Sound of Freedom beating Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is even more impressive when you consider the numbers behind each movie's release.
The first movie not to be written by George Lucas or directed by Steven Spielberg, the fifth Indiana Jones had a reported budget up to $295 million, according to Deadline, if not more, according to other sources cited.

Sound of Freedom, co-written and directed by Alejandro Monteverde, cost $14.5 million to make according to the Wall Street Journal. By today's standards this is a pittance compared to the massive budgets assigned to your regular summer blockbusters that are often north of $100 million.

“Sound of Freedom” topped the charts with $14.3 million in ticket sales at 2,634 theaters on the Fourth of July, according to Box Office Mojo. “Indiana Jones” came in second with $11.7 million at 4,600 theaters. Disney’s “Elemental,” with $2.8 million at 3,650 theaters, was a distant third.

Currently sitting at an 8.6 on IMDB

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As a wise man recently said, "Lucasfilm desperately needs new leadership."

I would go as far as saying Disney as a whole in current year.

That's not to take away anything from Sound of Freedom, it's well deserved. But summer action hero IP blockbusters should be blockbusting.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
"The first movie not to be written by George Lucas or directed by Steven Spielberg, the fifth Indiana Jones had a reported budget up to $295 million, according to Deadline, if not more, according to other sources cited."

This cannot be true, I know Spielberg made a lot of films, but Lucas definitely hasn't written that many.

AJUMP23

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I generally loved most of the indy movies but the last silly one killed its reputation.
Also love harrison ford but he's just too old at this point for this role.

You could see disaster written all over this. Which sucks, because we do want more traditional movies like this, top gun proved this.......

Plenty of Disney ass kisser are blaming Indy 5 flop on audience are trained to watch movies at home. What a cope.
Exactly.

Depending on where you live, 2023 Ticket price + ticket price of the person(s) you're going with + 2023 popcorn price + 2023 drink prices = an investment.

People don't want to invest in movies with great effects but bad writing. That's an at-home experience. Technically the ass kissers are right but they don't realize why they're right.

Fbh

Plenty of Disney ass kisser are blaming Indy 5 flop on audience are trained to watch movies at home. What a cope.

I actually do think that might be one (of many) reasons. But it's because movies like the new Indy are mediocre.

With current prices the only reason I go watch something in the theater is if I think it will be very good or if at least it will be a visual spectacle that's worth watching on a big screen (Like Avatar).

Movies like this new Indy are neither. A badly written, unnecessary sequel with a geriatric main character full of ugly CG. Even if I'm still remotely interested in watching it I'll wait till I can do so at home for way cheaper.

ZehDon

Gold Member
For the last few days, whenever I've seen 'Indiana Jones' mentioned, 'Sound of Freedom' has been mentioned too. That's an insane marketing win that the film's creators could never have dreamt of. I want to see this based on the strong reception it's getting - been a while since I've seen a film getting this kind of buzz.

Movie must be over the target if the Washington Post is writing hit pieces about the movie and its stars and linking them to J6 and QAnon. Complaints about inaccuracies are funny after "The Woman King" didn't get the same treatment.
We're on the timeline where the WaPo is busy attacking a movie which is about a dude who brings down a child sex trafficking ring because it dared to make more money than some tired unwanted sequel to a franchise which was big in the 1990's.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's funny, was re-watching some old episodes of South Park and I'd completely forgotten that the B-plot of Season 12, episode 8 "The China Probrem" (from October 2008) was an extended riff on how the boys' childhood was "raped" by Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

Its absolutely savage (even disregarding how "unacceptable" joking about rape is these days) and just shows what the discussion was like around that time.

RaduN

Saw that Cavaziel was talking about “adrenochroming” at a promo event for the film, which is qanon conspiracy fantasy material. Can’t support that sort of nonsense.
He's a poor misguided soul, massive talent aside. I feel sorry for guys like him.

VN1X

Banned
dcbvIa3.jpg

ln62knxfbxab1.jpg

"qAnOn mOvEMenT" 🤡

Notice how many of these supposed news outlets have these remarks as their headlines rather than actually talking about the film's own merrits (acting, story, production, cinematography, etc). It's also important to note that the film itself never mentions Qanon or anything of the sort itself.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
dcbvIa3.jpg

ln62knxfbxab1.jpg

"qAnOn mOvEMenT" 🤡

Notice how many of these supposed news outlets have these remarks as their headlines rather than actually talking about the film's own merrits (acting, production, cinematography, etc). It's also important to note that the film itself never mentions Qanon or anything of the sort itself.
I dropped my netflix account because of that movie Cuties, I still to this day can't wrap my head around that film ever being made let alone the amount of pedophiles journalists that defended it, I see the same shit happening with this Child Trafficking film which I believe is based on actual events that actually happened, but because the main star is some Qanon nut and the studio some conservative Christian org the press are going all out for it... Don't have to be a conspiracy nut to see somit ain't right.

Anyways not my type of movie, it sounds like it'd make me angry as fuck as I have 2 young kids and I don't need to be thinking what would happen if they got trafficked.

mcjmetroid

I just came across this and am shocked at the copy paste articles.. I mean I'm not shocked it's happening but shocked how clumsy it is.

I'm sorry but getting defensive over a film with this subject matter is REALLY not a good look for Hollywood, especially when it's beating Indiana Jones at the box office.

Time to take the L and reassess your movies going forward before you become even more irrelevant.

Dr.Morris79

dcbvIa3.jpg

ln62knxfbxab1.jpg

"qAnOn mOvEMenT" 🤡

Notice how many of these supposed news outlets have these remarks as their headlines rather than actually talking about the film's own merrits (acting, production, cinematography, etc). It's also important to note that the film itself never mentions Qanon or anything of the sort itself.
What the actual fuck though?

Tons of nuts in Hollywood, alas. Most of them keep it quiet, or we’d be hearing about how the new mission impossible is the latest battle in the war against Xenu.
Good point, and I think that is true, but can you imagine Rolling Stone and The Washington Post not being able to shut up about Xenu and "the Scientology-linked star" when reviewing the new Mission Impossible?

How hard is it to review the film itself, and not the beliefs of the cast? And with this particular movie, given the based on a true story aspect and the tragic nature of the subject matter, it seems especially disgusting to do that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
dcbvIa3.jpg

ln62knxfbxab1.jpg

"qAnOn mOvEMenT" 🤡

Wait a second. It says in that one article that the star of "Sound of Freedom" is linking it to QAnon. Wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom