• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korea president says she’s willing to resign

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVOL 100%

Park Geun-hye, Embattled South Korean President, Says She’s Willing to Resign

SEOUL, South Korea — President Park Geun-hye of South Korea said Tuesday that she was willing to resign before her term ends, in an effort to head off a pending impeachment vote over a devastating corruption scandal.

Ms. Park’s dramatic gesture Tuesday was also a concession to mounting pressure from ordinary South Koreans, who have taken to the streets in large numbers for five straight Saturdays to demand that she resign or be impeached. Her announcement was an attempt to defuse the political standoff that has been intensifying over a corruption scandal implicating Ms. Park and a longtime friend and secretive adviser, Choi Soon-sil.

Ms. Park’s offer could spare the country several months of political uncertainty that a presidential impeachment would entail. If the National Assembly voted to impeach her, the deeply unpopular Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn, who is not an elected official, would serve as acting president while the Constitutional Court took up to six months to decide whether to ratify the impeachment vote.

Ms. Choi has been charged with extorting the equivalent of tens of millions of dollars from South Korean businesses, and prosecutors have said that Ms. Park helped her to do so. Ms. Park cannot be indicted while in office, but she has been officially identified as a criminal suspect, a first for a president. Ms. Park has also been accused of helping Ms. Choi illegally gain access to confidential government documents.

About fucking time.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It makes me optimistic to see people outraged at politicians.

In the US the standard is so low nothing seems to merit any response.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why not resign tomorrow then? I see no reason why they shouldn't proceed with impeachment as-is--the article's unsupported assertion that having an Acting President is illegitimate notwithstanding. She has no negotiating leverage at all.

Calvero

Banned
Why not resign tomorrow then? I see no reason why they shouldn't proceed with impeachment as-is--the article's unsupported assertion that having an Acting President is illegitimate notwithstanding. She has no negotiating leverage at all;
listen to the mad man

Peru

In some regards being secretly controlled by a shaman seems like a better option than the usual corrupt cronies surrounding the Saenuri party. Rest assured the replacement will not be any good. Luckily we're closing in on the election.

EVOL 100%

Why not resign tomorrow then? I see no reason why they shouldn't proceed with impeachment as-is--the article's unsupported assertion that having an Acting President is illegitimate notwithstanding. She has no negotiating leverage at all;

She said she's willing to resign if the National Assembly dictates so. Basically, she handed the onus to the National Assembly and lacks the integrity to actually step down.

She has no negotiating leverage, yes, but my uninformed opinion is that she's still trying to hold out as long as she can

You guys want Trump and Pence? America would like to donate 2 of its leaders for the future of South Korea. We can always hold another election.

Boss Mog

I read that because of this mess "Into The New World" actually re-entered the charts and even reached #1 in the real-time charts. Apparently university students were blasting it during some of their protests. 10th anniversary next year; man time really flies doesn't it? I hope Korea will resolve the situation and that the people will be happy with the outcome.

I wonder if better politicians are actually in the cards for South Korea though. Even if she finally resigns, who else is available for people to vote for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom