• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Melchiah

Different views of Jupiter’s Great Red Spot. It’s an atmospheric storm that has been raging in planet’s southern Hemisphere for at least 400 years. This ancient storm is so large that three Earths could fit inside it.
Image credit: NASA/ESA

Ts8IFDD.png

DN16yEv.jpg

4Sl6dfe.jpg

hXK72eh.jpg

Melchiah

http://www.iflscience.com/space/pair-supermassive-black-holes-spotted
Pair of Supermassive Black Holes Spotted

KBpuQrb.jpg

Photo credit: Artist's impression of a binary supermassive black hole system / ESA--C. Carreau

For the first time in an ordinary galaxy, astronomers have spotted a hidden pair of supermassive black holes in orbit around each another. The binary system was discovered because they were ripping apart a star just as an observatory happened to be looking in their direction.

Two supermassive black holes are the smoking gun that the galaxy has merged with another. That’s because most massive galaxies (including our own) are thought to harbor at least one supermassive black hole at their center. Until now, only a few candidates have been found, and all of them have been in active galaxies where they’re ripping gas clouds apart -- a destructive process that heats up gas so much that it shines at many wavelengths. They’re labeled “active” because of the resulting bright center.
More in the link.

The Onion: Modernized Space Camp Allows Kids To Simulate Frustration Over Lack Of Funding

HUNTSVILLE, AL—Aiming to provide attendees with an authentic glimpse into the nation’s space program, representatives for the U.S. Space & Rocket Center announced Thursday that its newly updated Space Camp will allow children to simulate the anger and mounting frustration experienced by NASA personnel over a continual lack of funding.

Camp organizers explained that the redesigned education program will offer kids the unique opportunity to contend with all of the budgetary restrictions and bureaucratic red tape impeding the progress of actual astronauts and researchers, allowing children from grades four to six to immerse themselves in a true-to-life NASA environment in which financial shortfalls and endless procedural delays plague them at every turn.
“We put camp attendees in the shoes of dedicated NASA scientists whose attempts to further scientific understanding through the analysis of asteroid composition are halted by one of our camp staffers playing the role of a U.S. senator targeting all ‘nonessential’ initiatives,” said counselor Tyler Campbell. “When they take their seats in our mock congressional chamber, campers will work together to deliver an impassioned yet ultimately futile request for continued support of NASA until they have no choice but to stand up and leave, having just witnessed their life’s work go up in smoke.”

“When you see the stunned expressions on these kids’ faces as they realize their goals and dreams are no longer attainable because of political pressures completely out of their control, that’s when you know they’ve gained a valuable understanding of our space program,” Campbell added.

Melchiah

1dKkTLo.jpg

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2014-14
Astronomers Find a New Type of Planet: The "Mega-Earth"

Astronomers announced today that they have discovered a new type of planet - a rocky world weighing 17 times as much as Earth. Theorists believed such a world couldn't form because anything so hefty would grab hydrogen gas as it grew and become a Jupiter-like gas giant. This planet, though, is all solids and much bigger than previously discovered "super-Earths," making it a "mega-Earth."

"We were very surprised when we realized what we had found," says astronomer Xavier Dumusque of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA), who led the data analysis and made the discovery.

"This is the Godzilla of Earths!" adds CfA researcher Dimitar Sasselov, director of the Harvard Origins of Life Initiative. "But unlike the movie monster, Kepler-10c has positive implications for life."

The team's finding was presented today in a press conference at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society (AAS).

The newfound mega-Earth, Kepler-10c, circles a sunlike star once every 45 days. It is located about 560 light-years from Earth in the constellation Draco. The system also hosts a 3-Earth-mass "lava world," Kepler-10b, in a remarkably fast, 20-hour orbit.

Kepler-10c was originally spotted by NASA's Kepler spacecraft. Kepler finds planets using the transit method, looking for a star that dims when a planet passes in front of it. By measuring the amount of dimming, astronomers can calculate the planet's physical size or diameter. However, Kepler can't tell whether a planet is rocky or gassy.

Kepler-10c was known to have a diameter of about 18,000 miles, 2.3 times as large as Earth. This suggested it fell into a category of planets known as mini-Neptunes, which have thick, gaseous envelopes.

The team used the HARPS-North instrument on the Telescopio Nazionale Galileo (TNG) in the Canary Islands to measure the mass of Kepler-10c. They found that it weighed 17 times as much as Earth - far more than expected. This showed that Kepler-10c must have a dense composition of rocks and other solids.

"Kepler-10c didn't lose its atmosphere over time. It's massive enough to have held onto one if it ever had it," explains Dumusque. "It must have formed the way we see it now."

Planet formation theories have a difficult time explaining how such a large, rocky world could develop. However, a new observational study suggests that it is not alone.

Also presenting at AAS, CfA astronomer Lars A. Buchhave found a correlation between the period of a planet (how long it takes to orbit its star) and the size at which a planet transitions from rocky to gaseous. This suggests that more mega-Earths will be found as planet hunters extend their data to longer-period orbits.

The discovery that Kepler-10c is a mega-Earth also has profound implications for the history of the universe and the possibility of life. The Kepler-10 system is about 11 billion years old, which means it formed less than 3 billion years after the Big Bang.

More in the link

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Well if it hasn't then we can expect more articles of it leaving the solar system? Sweet!
f me

Don't know what I'd do if we were suddenly robbed of regular "Voyager has really left the solar system this time" and "Scientists actually on the verge of cloning wooly mammoth" headlines.

jambo

This is just gorgeous

0K352na.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140718.html

Ou4: A Giant Squid Nebula
Image Credit: Romano Corradi (IAC),
Nicolas Grosso, Agnès Acker, Robert Greimel, Patrick Guillout

Explanation: A mysterious, squid-like apparition, this nebula is very faint, but also very large in planet Earth's sky. In the mosaic image, composed with narrowband data from the 2.5 meter Isaac Newton Telescope, it spans some 2.5 full moons toward the constellation Cepheus. Recently discovered by French astro-imager Nicolas Outters, the remarkable nebula's bipolar shape and emission are consistent with it being a planetary nebula, the gaseous shroud of a dying sun-like star, but its actual distance and origin are unknown. A new investigation suggests Ou4 really lies within the emission region SH2-129 some 2,300 light-years away. Consistent with that scenario, the cosmic squid would represent a spectacular outflow of material driven by a triple system of hot, massive stars, cataloged as HR8119, seen near the center of the nebula. If so, this truly giant squid nebula would physically be nearly 50 light-years across.

Melchiah

8Dn5kkq.jpg

Soviet model makers built this spacecraft based on the designs and notes of Konstantin Tsiolkovsk. Late in his life, much of Tsiolkovsky’s theoretical work focused on ideas about transporting humans into space on board rockets. Although this model, reflecting the scientist’s ideas, grossly overestimates the living space available on board a rocket, it does convey a sophisticated understanding of the physical constraints of space travel for that time. Among Tsiolkovsky’s concerns were the effects of acceleration and weightlessness on the human body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantin_Tsiolkovsky
Konstantin Eduardovich Tsiolkovsky (1857-1935) was a Russian and Soviet rocket scientist and pioneer of the astronautic theory, of Polish descent. Along with his followers, the German Hermann Oberth and the American Robert H. Goddard, he is considered to be one of the founding fathers of rocketry and astronautics. His works later inspired leading Soviet rocket engineers such as Sergey Korolyov and Valentin Glushko and contributed to the success of the Soviet space program.

this is a silly question, but I need this data anyway, so here goes: is there a kind of simulator for the solar system (Kuiper belt included) that can calculate the visibility of an object from Earth at a certain time of day (future dates obviously), what the distance between objects are (which includes eccentricity and so on), and what speed an object travelling between them would have and the time that would take (and possible trajectory, but that's pushing it)?

I mean, the first is relatively easy to find, but the other two are a bit more problematic.

Melchiah

lX4l8xU.jpg

6bhsHf6.jpg

Yerkes observatory observes a comet as it breaks up in the atmosphere. Astrophotography, 1908-1919:
7oCVWYJ.jpg

A total solar eclipse on May 29, 1919:
GTVXL8W.jpg

"Photographie de la couronne du soleil, avec lettre d’envoi par le baron N. Raulbars au prince Roland Bonaparte" Helsinki, Finland, 28 May 1897.
TUsVU9x.jpg

Socreges

Banned
I am now the proud owner of a (beginner) telescope! Celestron Travel Scope 50

Going out star gazing tomorrow night in a very rural area. Any tips? Good resources (videos, websites) for beginners?

fallout

I am now the proud owner of a (beginner) telescope! Celestron Travel Scope 50

Going out star gazing tomorrow night in a very rural area. Any tips? Good resources (videos, websites) for beginners?
I always recommend Terence Dickinson's NightWatch. It's a fantastic entry level book that has everything from the formation of the universe, to the different types of telescopes, to star charts with recommended beginner objects.

If you're heading out tonight, here are some ideas for what to try and look for (I'm assuming that you're still hanging around a 49N° latitude):
  • The Moon. It will off to the SW following sunset. You'll likely be able to see it well before the Sun is completely set. With your scope, you'll be able to see craters and mountains along the terminator (where the dark part of the moon meets the sunlit part).
  • Saturn. It will be the bright star-like object near the Moon. This is the crown jewel of observing the night sky. With your scope, you'll be able to make out the rings.
  • Mars. It will also be near the Moon. It'll look like a little red fuzzball.
  • The Milky Way. That band of cloudy stuff that starts somewhere in the SW and works its way overhead? That's our galaxy. If you patiently path along it with your scope (particularly in the south), you'll see countless stars and some fuzzy patches, which could be nebulae or star clusters.
  • If you're feeling adventurous, try looking up how to find the Andromeda galaxy. It's actually visible to the unaided eye. In your scope, it'll look like a cloud surrounding a brighter centre that fills the field of view.
Hope that helps. I'm bumming around for most of the day, so feel free to hit me up with follow-ups. Clear skies!

fallout

What's really neat about the Ring Nebula is that the blue dot you see in the middle of the image is the white dwarf remnant of the star that created the nebula.

Melchiah

This is the first photo ever taken from space.
X96Xql6.jpg

A photo taken from 101 miles up by V-2 Number 21, which launched on March 7, 1947.
c0uuAli.jpg

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/03/first-photo-ever-taken-space/
Nowadays, anybody with an Internet connection has seen tens if not hundreds of photographs taken from space. Astronauts tweet them, Hubble sends them down… rovers even putter around planets other than our own taking pictures.

But it all started with the photograph above from 1946, the first ever photo taken from space.

The story behind this photo, as told in Air & Space Magazine back in 2006, takes place on October 24th, 1946. A V-2 missile launched from the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico used an on-board 35-millimeter motion picture camera to snap this photograph from 65 miles above our heads, capturing the Earth in all its grainy, black-and-white glory and making history at the same time.
More in the link.

Socreges

Banned
I always recommend Terence Dickinson's NightWatch. It's a fantastic entry level book that has everything from the formation of the universe, to the different types of telescopes, to star charts with recommended beginner objects.
So I ordered it last week and it just arrived. And.... it's the 1998 edition that is For Use Through 2010. :( Did you link me to that one deliberately as there is no consequence (or no significant consequence for someone that's a beginner like me)? Or should I return it and try for the Fourth Edition that's good through 2025?

fallout

So I ordered it last week and it just arrived. And.... it's the 1998 edition that is For Use Through 2010. :( Did you link me to that one deliberately as there is no consequence (or no significant consequence for someone that's a beginner like me)? Or should I return it and try for the Fourth Edition that's good through 2025?
Haha, shit. I didn't even notice. Honestly, I think that the differences are pretty minor.

How did your observing go?

Socreges

Banned
Haha, shit. I didn't even notice. Honestly, I think that the differences are pretty minor.

How did your observing go?
Overcast and by the time the clouds had cleared a bit the moon and planets were below the horizon!

Next weekend might be a good opportunity...

fallout

Overcast and by the time the clouds had cleared a bit the moon and planets were below the horizon!

Next weekend might be a good opportunity...
Shitty. Keep in mind that the Moon and planets are visible from within the city. Although, at this point, the moon is pretty bright and won't be much to look at.

I posted on the MSL thread but no one noticed :(

Curiosity has reached the lower reaches of Mount Sharp, finally! Just a few hundred meters more for the final destination. Obviously there'll be a lot of work at the site. Drilling, laser zapping, etc.

Top Bottom