• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spanish police arrests three over PSN Hack

RockXLight said:
Yes, because Anonymous ruined so many people's lives with that PSN outage and everything.

LMAO i could imagine a bunch of people who have nothing else in life to do for recreation being stressed and anxious because they cant get their PSN fix.

Ydahs

I just wonder how many are opt in DDOSers and how many are part of a bot net without knowing. Will be interesting to see if they are able to separate one from the other.

Zoe

KittenMaster said:
Wat.

I'm not seeing how this is peaceful. Non-violent, yes, but a sure fire way to aggravate people.

It's not. Protesting must be done on public property and cannot prevent the business from normal operation.

TTP said:
Anonymous even released a press release on the matter.

If those three 'members' weren't important, Anon wouldn't have striked back. All they really did was confirm to spanish police that they got the right men, and they were relatively big fish.

jsnepo said:
Just keep arresting them. They will fall eventually.

and be replaced by a new group overnight. with things like backtrack, compromising networks is getting ridiculously more easy as the days go on.

Oh god that press release just reeks of silliness, as do some of the posts here. 30 years? Prison rape? You people should get a reality check and see for what crimes people spend 30 years in prison. Depending on what crimes they can be actually convicted of and not withstanding my lack of knowledge of the Spanish criminal law we are looking at a suspended sentence (if it was their first offence).

Haunted said:
Always those damn spaniards.
It was said in jest but I think the high unemployment rate among youth (still 40 % I believe, highest in Europe, may be even higher now) has something to do with this. A lot of angry, poor youth, detached from society, feeling all powerless.

But in the end these actions will be meaningless, they may feel like they have power now but it will just draw attention from politics and business. The result could even be a more regulated access to the internet, achieving the absolute opposite of what they are supposedly standing for.

dilatedmuscle said:
LMAO i could imagine a bunch of people who have nothing else in life to do for recreation being stressed and anxious because they cant get their PSN fix.
Problem is not these people but businesses losing a lot of money in the process. This is going beyond fun and games.

Some people around here like to argue it's just somehow dirty profits for corporate monsters or something but it's the money they use to invest, hire more people etc. Companies are the main source of our economic development and wealth. If you don't like that you should look around for alternatives - I think Cuba and North Korea are pretty much the only ones left though (Vietnam and China are more and more driven by companies in their economic development). [/rant] Sorry for that but these pirate party guys got on my nerves not too long ago :)

J-Rzez

"First and foremost, DDoSing is an act of peaceful protest on the internet. The activity is no different than sitting peacefully in front of a shop denying entry. Just as is the case with traditional forms of protest.

What? You can't do that. If a call comes in that people are doing this they get arrested. Sure people can assemble and "protest" but they can't physically stop other people and those of their focus from conducting business. Maybe it's different in that part of the world.

I remember talking to a friend who was really into this scene. He didn't take part in it and was just interested, and was telling me about some famous "hacker" that came out and said he and others he knew would try to get into systems just to see if they can do it, then would send a company all of the info how they did it and how to plug it up. I have no problem with that form of "hacking". But what these people are doing is different, and are attacks. Hell, I thought I remember hearing that companies would sponsor hacking events in which they'd shell out cash to someone who successfully breaches their networks.

There are going to be a ton of new laws against this most likely now. There were sections before that can be "used" against these people in our crimes-code books, but they were more of blanket type guidelines which was up to the judge on how to proceed in court on it. I expect in future updates that they'll be adding in specifics to this, as it's going to get more and more popular.

jcm

Phife Dawg said:
Oh god that press release just reeks of silliness, as do some of the posts here. 30 years? Prison rape? You people should get a reality check and see for what crimes people spend 30 years in prison. Depending on what crimes they can be actually convicted of and not withstanding my lack of knowledge of the Spanish criminal law we are looking at a suspended sentence (if it was their first offence).

I don't know about Spain, but in the US it's more serious than that.

A 19-year-old Verona man today was sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison for participating in a cyber attack against the Church of Scientology’s websites almost two years ago.

Dmitriy Guzner, who pleaded guilty in May to one count of unauthorized impairment of a protected computer, appeared in U.S. District Court in Newark this morning before Judge Joseph A. Greenaway.
Greenaway also sentenced Guzner to two years of probation following his prison sentence and ordered him to pay $37,500 in restitution to the church. The judge decided to honor the plea agreement, despite the church’s request for nearly $119,000 – the amount it cost the organization to hire an outside company to protect against the attacks.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
jcm said:

A 19-year-old Verona man today was sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison for participating in a cyber attack against the Church of Scientology’s websites almost two years ago.

Dmitriy Guzner, who pleaded guilty in May to one count of unauthorized impairment of a protected computer, appeared in U.S. District Court in Newark this morning before Judge Joseph A. Greenaway.
Greenaway also sentenced Guzner to two years of probation following his prison sentence and ordered him to pay $37,500 in restitution to the church. The judge decided to honor the plea agreement, despite the church’s request for nearly $119,000 – the amount it cost the organization to hire an outside company to protect against the attacks.

It makes you wonder how will the American government judge the hackers who are located in their land. Is this situation more delicate than that one?

ReBurn

Gold Member
itxaka said:
ahahaahaaahaaahahahahahahahaa.

Look, he is so happy!

iaUlR.jpg
It would be so awesome if he was in one where he's wearing the mask.

Averon

RustyNails said:
lol
Take that, Spanish Police!

HAHA. Yeah, when I read that, I just shook my head. Anon members are getting arrested in the real world. Your response? DDoS a website. Pretty weak, which is why I always believed that if law enforcement were to really go after Anon, they'll be fucked.

enewtabie

Juan29.zapata said:
It makes you wonder how will the American government judge the hackers who are located in their land. Is this situation more delicate than that one?

I can almost guarantee it will be a much longer jail term. It will be a mid level FCI
if anything,but those aren't the nicest places either.

Aurora

Arresting them does nothing to solve the problem and only ruins a bunch of kids' lives. Waste of police hours and tax payers' money. I hope they catch no more.

jcm said:

The way it is handled is totally different in Europe (at least continental Europe). Different law traditions etc. But of course it all depends on what they can be convicted of.

Aurora said:
Arresting them does nothing to solve the problem and only ruins a bunch of kids' lives. Waste of police hours and tax payers' money. I hope they catch no more.
You don't know these guys nor do you know their real intentions. For all we know they could have been the guys behind everything and aimed at selling the information to organised crime (CC fraud). Either way things are getting out of hand. You need positive and negative general prevention to solve this problem. It's not criminal law that would "ruin" these lives, only their own doing. And the way criminal law works in Europe they are not ruined per se.

test_account

XP-39C²
Aurora said:
It is important to show that certain actions can have consequences though. I also dont think that this will exactly ruin bunch of kids' life.

What do you think will solve the problem by the way?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
M.D said:
They'll by apologizing next year on Sony's E3 stage and say they didn't really like PSN, but Sony sold them on the idea and they're developing a new PSN

Amazing.

Thread should have ended, been renamed to get the scoop on E3 2012 and stickied.

lol

enewtabie

Aurora said:

It shows there are consequences in life. That you can't just do what you want to in life and get away with it. I imagine they will see at least 2-5 years and have to pay back a hefty sum and that sounds about right.

J-Rzez

Aurora said:

Yeah, just let them go, it's just a phase, they'll get over it. /modern parenting

These people are doing damage to governmental sites, they'll taking down services that generate revenue (Sony lost nearly $170m I've seen thrown around here iirc), things that impact real life. This isn't getting caught drinking underage, not the cost of removing spray paint, we're talking millions of dollars of damage here. No slaps on the wrist here. And I hope they continue to go after these people, and if there's a few "kids" involved, oh well. When I was 14-15yrs old, I knew there's consequences for actions.

Zertez

Im sure more dominoes will continue to fall. Even if they dont have the main people behind the attacks, these kids will give them names further up and they will continue up the ladder. The kids probably have no real idea the type of punishment they were looking at and things hit you like a ton of bricks when you are sitting in a real jail cell behind bars. They will roll on everyone they know to cut jail time.

When you hack a few sites to shut it down temporarily or change the look of the site, agencies dont care much, but when you shut down mega corporations/government sites, steal tons of personal information and the brightest move of attacking an FBI affiliated site, you get the attention of almost every federal criminal investigative unit around the globe.

mileS

Rollo Larson said:
what a ruse. nobody actually believes they actually have those masks?

i no longer believe these stories

Is my sarcasm detector broken? It's hard to tell these days

Sorry to bump this thread, please forgive that. I'm a junor and cannot make threads right now and this is the first or second thread that popped up on Google. Is PSN currently down? I cannot sign in. My PS3 finds my home network (router), mean the IP address and internet connection but it fails when trying to find the PlayStation Network. I am trying to transfer the PSP content I have on the PS3 to my new PSP 3000, and apparently I cannot do this unless I'm signed in.

Need an answer and/or some help. Thank you so much in advance.

Top Bottom