• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculating on Nintendo's WiiU software release strategy in 2014

I don't get why people are optimistic about so many games coming out next year. Nintendo has had most of their big teams release games in the last year and a half so expecting a ton of game announcements seems misguided when they are going to be in recovery mode. People also seem to be forgetting the huge factor of the 3DS still needing games. Nintendo isn't going to abandon the highly successful 3DS to focus on the failing Wii U. So that is a large chunk of development that is not on Wii U i.e. Koizumi's new game.

And people saying Nintendo announces games only when they are near done, the 3DS just completed the games shown at E3 2010 this year.

I meant stuff you don't care for, compared to the big PS360 franchises. The more casual stuff counts as third-party support for a system on which casual games sell best. Do you think Activision will stop supporting the Wii U with Skylanders, Ubisoft with Just Dance, Rabbids/Rayman, Disney with whatever they come up with, Sega with Sonic, etc.? That's maybe not the third-party support core gamers care for, but a lot of Nintendo's audience buys those kinds of games.
I'll be the first to agree that Activision won't stop putting Skylanders on the Wii U, nor will Ubisoft cease with Just Dance. But the assertion that there'll be more support than currently is still folly. It's already getting those games.

That support isn't any more than what it's currently getting, those games aren't going to pad the release schedule any more than they are now, and if and when Ubi and Acti pull their core franchises (which will probably be after this year for everything but CoD; WBIE has essentially signaled their exit already) it will be less support than it's currently getting and an even greater dearth of games to round out the slate.

I meant stuff you don't care for, compared to the big PS360 franchises. The more casual stuff counts as third-party support for a system on which casual games sell best. Do you think Activision will stop supporting the Wii U with Skylanders, Ubisoft with Just Dance, Rabbids/Rayman, Disney with whatever they come up with, Sega with Sonic, etc.? That's maybe not the third-party support core gamers care for, but a lot of Nintendo's audience buys those kinds of games.

I know that was the case for the Wii, but is that the case for the Wii U? As far as I recall, the only games doing any decent numbers are from Nintendo themselves, but I could be wrong.

jwhit28

Didn't someone from Nintendo already say that the "at least 1 headliner exclusive every month" strategy they have been doing with 3DS this year was the strategy for Wii U going forward?

If they can actually follow through, I'd be very okay with that (especially if they can keep getting help out of Capcom, Platinum, Atlus, and Sega).

Atlus is Sega now. Sadface.
I know that was the case for the Wii, but is that the case for the Wii U? As far as I recall, the only games doing any decent numbers are from Nintendo themselves, but I could be wrong.
Depends on what you call decent.

In the US, as at the end of June, the only third party titles to sell over 100K were Zombi U, Just Dance, Scribblenauts Unlimited and Sonic Racing. Nintendo published Lego City has outsold all of the above I believe, while NSMBU remains the best selling title with an insane attach rate.

I think the best selling third party title, and only one to break 100K at retail, in Japan is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Didn't someone from Nintendo already say that the "at least 1 headliner exclusive every month" strategy they have been doing with 3DS this year was the strategy for Wii U going forward?

If they can actually follow through, I'd be very okay with that (especially if they can keep getting help out of Capcom, Platinum, Atlus, and Sega).

Well they delayed DKC

Yanikun

Banned
I'll be the first to agree that Activision won't stop putting Skylanders on the Wii U, nor will Ubisoft cease with Just Dance. But the assertion that there'll be more support than currently is still folly. It's already getting those games.

That support isn't any more than what it's currently getting, those games aren't going to pad the release schedule any more than they are now, and if and when Ubi and Acti pull their core franchises (which will probably be after this year for everything but CoD; WBIE has essentially signaled their exit already) it will be less support than it's currently getting and an even greater dearth of games to round out the slate.

Except nobody owns the Wii U now, so those games I mentioned can't do shit on their own. When you've got people who will buy a Wii U for Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong or Mario Kart or what-have-you, then the casual support it's currently getting will finally start to sell. It's gonna start to matter for the system. Tell me this: how do you expect holiday casual stuff to fare in 2014 compared to 2013? Do you not expect Skylanders '14 to be bigger than this year's game?

Because seriously, are we sure the Wii getting franchises like Call of Duty contributed much to its success? People freaking out over the loss of that kind of support next year make it sound like it's so central to a Nintendo console's success nowadays. This isn't the Vita, the Wii could have lost Call of Duty and yearly sports games and it would have changed what to its lifetime install base exactly?

Assuming a majority of Nintendo's announced games release in 2014, I don't see how it's going to be such a bad year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only commercially notable 3DS releases in 2012 were Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Games, Mario Tennis Open, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask and Paper Mario. Six games, and it's not like those were all massive system-selling games.

Currently announced non-2013 commercially notable Wii U games: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Yoshi, Zelda U, and you may want to count half of Wii Fit U and half of Wii Sports Club. Doesn't look that bad of a line-up in comparison to me.

Why do I think Zelda U will be out in 2014? From Game Informer:
According to series creator Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo's new Zelda game for the Wii U is coming along nicely -- and was nearly shown at this year's E3.

We just spoke with Mr. Miyamoto about many of Nintendo's upcoming games, including Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World, but when when we asked about a new original Zelda game for Wii U (which has been rumored to be out in 2014) he said that the game is farther along that many thought. Actually, the company had considered showing the game at this year's E3.

So I'm not seeing a big problem for the Wii U there. 2014 is Nintendo's to screw up, but they have enough at their disposal to sell considerably better than this year, no matter how many FIFA's and Call of Duty's and Assassin's Creed's it may or may not get.

Did Nintendo even have any games this year to sell? No I think you're right, I don't think they've gotten decent numbers from anything this year so far, but, like I said above, third-party casual stuff is never going to carry a console all on their shoulders. They need Nintendo to have sold more systems to thrive. I expect the numbers for those kinds of games to be significantly up next year after the stuff Nintendo is releasing on it.

Jonm1010

Banned
At the latest after Mario World and Mario Kart releases all the "Wii U is doomed" threads will vanish. The Wii U will go the same way as the 3DS and will probably the best selling console in 2014.

There's optimism and then there's this!

Nintendo's only release titles at this point are titles that appeal to mostly core Nintendo gamers. Meanwhile the other two have a bevy of intriguing software and functions to attract a wide range of consumer and they will get the entire range of 3rd party support fom sports titles to CoD to minecraft. Furthermore Nintendo's competitors are drowning Nintendo in comparison when it comes marketing and advertisements and I'm sure it will
continue all of next gen.

I wish Nintendo a healthy turnaround but betting on much more then slightly gamecube numbers seems delusional.

Without any 3rd party support? Really?

I swear, statements like these really make me wonder what world some major Nintendo fans live in.

The worst part is that Iwata apparently lives in the same world.
The WiiU is a lost cause anyway, but hopefully the higher ups will finally get their shit together for the next console when the WiiU keeps flopping until the end of next the fiscal year.

I think 2014 is an interesting year to look at for WiiU. It'll be the real test of whether or not the 'momentum' can keep going.

Momentum? What momentum? A handfull of games per year?

marty-mcfly-what5aslc.gif

Rolf NB

I don't get why people are optimistic about so many games coming out next year. Nintendo has had most of their big teams release games in the last year and a half so expecting a ton of game announcements seems misguided when they are going to be in recovery mode. People also seem to be forgetting the huge factor of the 3DS still needing games. Nintendo isn't going to abandon the highly successful 3DS to focus on the failing Wii U. So that is a large chunk of development that is not on Wii U i.e. Koizumi's new game.

And people saying Nintendo announces games only when they are near done, the 3DS just completed the games shown at E3 2010 this year.
It's this notion of "things are starting with game XY", as seen in many past Media Create threads and threads similar to this, that I find totally misguided. I don't see any evidence that Nintendo's output is accelerating. The release of a game or two is not automatically the start of a wave. It's often just ... the release of a game or two. And then things continue as they were and logically have to be.

The only ways to release games at a faster pace is to extend the studio portfolio, or reduce the scope of individual projects. Unless either of those are actually happening at Nintendo, we should not expect things to speed up. And I might add that the market probably would not appreciate significant reductions in game scope. That's just not what the Wii U is supposed to be and sold as IMO.

I don't see how any of this amounts to the Wii U getting more third party support than it does now, which is what I commented on. I never made any comment on what impact the support it did get would have, nor whether those titles would sell more year/year.
Publishers, as far as I'm aware haven't shown a huge inclination towards building more and new casual brands on consoles of late.

I do think the assertion that you now seem to be making, about how the loss of 2K Sports and EA Sports from the line-up doesn't affect the appeal of the system to a more casual consumer, is ultimately false.

NBA 2K13 is the 7th (360) and 13th (PS3) best selling title in the US for the year through June. Sony's own MLB game comes in at number 12.

FIFA13 is the best selling game in Europe for the same period. FIFA14 will be among the best selling game in Europe this year.

Or for that matter a game like GTA. A game doesn't pull in a billion dollars in revenue in a few days on the back of just the "core gamer."

The loss of EA was and is a very large blow for the system, regardless of how people downplay that loss. The lack of support from Take-Two as well.

Jonm1010

Banned
Except nobody owns the Wii U now, so those games I mentioned can't do shit on their own. When you've got people who will buy a Wii U for Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong or Mario Kart or what-have-you, then the casual support it's currently getting will finally start to sell. It's gonna start to matter for the system. Tell me this: how do you expect holiday casual stuff to fare in 2014 compared to 2013? Do you not expect Skylanders '14 to be bigger than this year's game?

Because seriously, are we sure the Wii getting franchises like Call of Duty contributed much to its success? People freaking out over the loss of that kind of support next year make it sound like it's so central to a Nintendo console's success nowadays. This isn't the Vita, the Wii could have lost Call of Duty and yearly sports games and it would have changed what to its lifetime install base exactly?

Assuming a majority of Nintendo's announced games release in 2014, I don't see how it's going to be such a bad year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only commercially notable 3DS releases in 2012 were Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Games, Mario Tennis Open, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask and Paper Mario. Six games, and it's not like those were all massive system-selling games.

Currently announced non-2013 commercially notable Wii U games: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Yoshi, Zelda U, and you may want to count half of Wii Fit U and half of Wii Sports Club. Doesn't look that bad of a line-up in comparison to me.

Why do I think Zelda U will be out in 2014? From Game Informer:

So I'm not seeing a big problem for the Wii U there. 2014 is Nintendo's to screw up, but they have enough at their disposal to sell considerably better than this year, no matter how many FIFA's and Call of Duty's and Assassin's Creed's it may or may not get.

Did Nintendo even have any games this year to sell? No I think you're right, I don't think they've gotten decent numbers from anything this year so far, but, like I said above, third-party casual stuff is never going to carry a console all on their shoulders. They need Nintendo to have sold more systems to thrive. I expect the numbers for those kinds of games to be significantly up next year after the stuff Nintendo is releasing on it.

Nintendo put themselves in a shitty position with third parties once again. While most of the industry is transitioning development for 8gb 1.1-1.7 tfp hardware using x86 architecture Nintendo release a 1.5 gb system that runs slightly better then current gen.

As we begin to get into the thick of next gen more and more developers will be dropping their current gen version and targeting xone/ps4 so even if we see a slight bump in sales for wiiU I'm not expecting much improvement for Nintendo's third party situation.

Third parties from sports titles to shooters to games like minecraft are often some
Of the best sellers each year an not having them is most certainly a loss.

Neoxon

0% chance Zelda is done by the end of 2014. Even 2015 is a maybe.

I don't have high hopes of X, SMTxFE or Bayo 2 making it out by the end of next year either.

Mario Kart will be their big game for the first half of the year, I can see it dropping in March. Smash Bros will be there in November as their big holiday game, assuming it doesn't get delayed... which I can easily see happening. Hopefully Sakurai and that team realizes that Wii U needs games NOW and they chill the fuck out with some of the extraneous stuff. I'm looking at you, overly long and boring single player mode.

Donkey Kong will fill in that gap between Christmas and Mario Kart. Yarn Yoshi will probably drop in August or September. Maybe Mario Party and/or Tennis to fill in some gaps too.
I'm a bit more confident that Bayonetta 2 will be out next year. I'm not so sure about X or SMTxFE, though.

jwhit28

Well they delayed DKC

I don't know if that signifies how well they think Wii Fit U will be received in December or how important they think it is not to have huge gaps between releases next year. Or maybe the game just really needed a couple more months.

I just hope they can keep what started in August with Pikmin 3 going. As for games like Watchdogs and Batman, I don't want them on Wii U anymore than I want them on the other consoles. I'll take the PC version please.

Richie

Any link to that?

6:15 here. Admittedly, I was remembering things wrong with the "retail" aspect of my comment, but Iwata does hint at a different release other than the already released app. Specifically, he says: "We are also developing an Art Academy title for Wii U, which includes in-depth art lessons, but that one will take a little more time. Please stay tuned". Considering nothing was announced in the latest Direct, it's a safe bet such a title would release on 2014.

Holy. I could definitely do this, and yeah I had no idea this was happening. AA is easily one of the biggest reasons why the game pad is a great idea, if only they could take some of this art related stuff and make a real game of it instead of a reasonably decent app. But whatevs, I'm down like Charlie Brown.

Now that you mention it, yeah, with proper marketing and attractive enough presentation, I could see it being a good selling title for its casual appeal, not to mention its artistic one.

Yanikun

Banned
I don't see how any of this amounts to the Wii U getting more third party support than it does now, which is what I commented on. I never made any comment on what impact the support it did get would have, nor whether those titles would sell more year/year.
Publishers, as far as I'm aware haven't shown a huge inclination towards building more and new casual brands on consoles of late.

I do think the assertion that you now seem to be making, about how the loss of 2K Sports and EA Sports from the line-up doesn't affect the appeal of the system to a more casual consumer, is ultimately false.

NBA 2K13 is the 7th (360) and 13th (PS3) best selling title in the US for the year through June. Sony's own MLB game comes in at number 12.

FIFA13 is the best selling game in Europe for the same period. FIFA14 will be among the best selling game in Europe this year.

Or for that matter a game like GTA. A game doesn't pull in a billion dollars in revenue in a few days on the back of just the "core gamer."

The loss of EA was and is a very large blow for the system, regardless of how people downplay that loss. The lack of support from Take-Two as well.

I know how huge sports games are. I know how huge GTA, COD, AC are. On PlayStation, Xbox and PC. I'd underline that twice if I could. Go back and compare the performance of those kinds of games on the Wii. Hardly system-sellers. So why does it matter for the Wii U if they didn't really matter for the Wii? It's a blow, but I'm scratching my head at the notion that this is the sign of the end of the world for the Wii U.

Also, for the first part of your post, I thought it was fairly obvious. The higher the install base, the better the third-party support that truly matters on a Nintendo system sells, the more of those it will get. If you have access to some numbers, tell me what the real third-party heavy-hitters were on the platform. If you see Just Dance, Zumba Fitness, LEGO, Disney, Skylanders, Sonic, and things like that, then there you go.

So yeah it'd be better to have every single big third-party game PS, Xbox and PC get, but that was also true for the Wii. The 3DS's third-party support from those franchises and publishers is similarly abysmal. The system is in its third year and still doesn't have a Call of Duty. It only had one Need for Speed and it was really low-budget. Its announced Assassin's Creed was cancelled in November 2010. Madden and Pro Evo Soccer are skipping it. It doesn't have Rayman Legends and it only had a lazy year-late port of Origins. It has Spy Hunter and Batman Blackgate from Warner, but those are shared with the Vita too.

So in short, it doesn't seem to hurt the Wii or the 3DS very much, then all of a sudden it becomes a huge deal for the Wii U. Why?

MDX

Donkey Kong : Tropical Freeze - Winter
Mario Kart 8 - Winter
Bayonetta 2 - Spring
Wii Sports DLC Spring
Unannounced Title - Spring
Project Cars - Summer
Smash Bros. WiiU - Summer
Wii Sports DLC Summer
Yoshi Yarn - Summer
X - Fall
Unannounced Title - Fall
Art Academy - Fall
Zelda WiiU - Winter
Wii Sports DLC Winter
Unannounced Title - Winter

Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei - Early 2015

AmyS

Mario Kart 8 - Winter
Bayonetta 2 - Spring
Wii Sports DLC Spring
Project Cars - Summer
Wii Sports DLC Summer
Yoshi Yarn - Summer
X - Fall
Unannounced Title - Fall
Art Academy - Fall
Zelda WiiU - Winter
Wii Sports DLC Winter

Smash Bros. Wii U probably in fall. Zelda probably fall, of the following year.

hatchx

Banned
Momentum? What momentum? A handfull of games per year?

marty-mcfly-what5aslc.gif

Well, I did put quotations around momentum, slightly mocking it as well.

I think by momentum, I mean the strong holiday lineup they have going.

October - TWW, Wii Party U, Sonic Lost World
November - Wii Sports, Mario + Sonic, 3D World
December - Wii Fit U
February - Donkey Kong : TF

.....there's no denying it's a pretty strong lineup of exclusives. Much stronger than PS4s or Xbone's looking at the sales of previous iterations.

If Mario Kart is slated for April, Bayonetta 2 for May, and Smash Bros. for June, I'd say they are keeping a good momentum going, especially for regular Nintendo standards.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
A few things:

I really think Nintendo should start releasing some Wii/Gamecube remasters in HD ala Windwaker. F Zero GX, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

Windwaker is fantastic and with the relative quick turnaround of the HD port(6 months to develop) it would fill in potential gaps in game releases for the Wii U in 2014.

Of course we'll have a strong line up of indie titles.

Do whatever it takes to make sure they keep Ubisoft happy as they are basically the *only* third party developer giving the system a chance right now. If they lose Ubi, they are in dire straights with the Wii U IMHO.

Get an additional developer on board-Gearbox, Deep Silver...somebody. Borderlands games on the Wii U would be terrific, especially with the tablet controller and The Dead Island series as well.......

Nintendo can turn things around with the Wii U. If they can increase that install base, developers would hopefully come around to supporting it.

Well, I did put quotations around momentum, slightly mocking it as well.

I think by momentum, I mean the strong holiday lineup they have going.

October - TWW, Wii Party U, Sonic Lost World
November - Wii Sports, Mario + Sonic, 3D World
December - Wii Fit U
February - Donkey Kong : TF

.....there's no denying it's a pretty strong lineup of exclusives. Much stronger than PS4s or Xbone's looking at the sales of previous iterations.

If Mario Kart is slated for April, Bayonetta 2 for May, and Smash Bros. for June, I'd say they are keeping a good momentum going, especially for regular Nintendo standards.

It's strong if you think the Wii ___ series has any selling power left which is highly questionable.

Mariolee

Mario Kart 8 - Winter
Bayonetta 2 - Spring
Wii Sports DLC Spring
Project Cars - Summer
Wii Sports DLC Summer
Yoshi Yarn - Summer
X - Fall
Unannounced Title - Fall
Art Academy - Fall
Zelda WiiU - Winter
Wii Sports DLC Winter

I really doubt Nintendo will let Mario Kart slip past Spring 2014. What's your reasoning for this? It's not as if Mario Kart is notorious for long development times or delays.

spliced

I'm curious in they'll do any DLC for Mario 3D World. The opportunity is there for both single and multi-player.

hatchx

Banned
It's strong if you think the Wii ___ series has any selling power left which is highly questionable.

Yes, this is sort of a discussion unto itself.

This is kind of a discussion that could be had about a lot of things though. I could argue that Killzone 3's miserable sales don't bode well for PS4's #1 launch exclusive, or that Kinect may have lost it's selling power.

I would think Wii Sports and Wii Fit U still have some selling power. I find it hard to envision a scenario where games in a series sell upwards of 20 million and then go to selling under 500k each (which would be a relatively big success for WiiU right now). You know what I mean?

I know I'll be buying Wii Sports Tennis. Tennis online? Chyaaaaaa!

TDLink

They do a mix of both. Every year they have a number of titles that release that were not announced before that year. Some examples of that this year would be Pokemon X/Y, Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, and A Link Between Worlds...all of which are pretty big titles.

On the other hand they announced Bayonetta 2 in 2012 and that is definitely releasing in 2014.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all to expect at least a few games that have yet to be announced to release next year.

I guess I may as well get on the timeline-prediction bandwagon.

I suspect that most of the titles they say are coming out in 2014 will come out in 2014. However, usually when Nintendo says a game will come out in year X, it comes out towards the very end of year X.

JANUARY: nothing
FEBRUARY: Donkey Kong
MARCH: nothing
APRIL: Mario Kart (they said Spring, and April is towards the end of Spring)
MAY: Bayonetta 1 Port? (Assuming an August Bayo2 release, May seems right for Bayo1, if it happens at all)
JUNE: nothing
JULY: Monster Hunter 4 Port? (It's probably going to happen at some point)
AUGUST: Bayonetta 2 (It's been playable for a while, so it must be semi-far in development)
SEPTEMBER: Yoshi (Looks too early in dev to be released before fall, but should take less time than X or Smash)
OCTOBER: X
NOVEMBER: Smash Brothers (Because Sakurai will wait as long as he possibly can, but won't miss black friday)
December: nothing

I know they said SMTxFE is going to come out in 2014, but we haven't seen any footage or anything... I suspect it will be delayed. I also think they'll realize that launching it the same year as X isn't the best idea, and X seems much more likely to come out this year.

The new Zelda is going to be 2015 at the earliest, I think. It may be "further along then many think," but that won't stop them from taking forever. They always do with new Zelda games.

It's a somewhat disappointing timeline, but not terrible, and I think it's a realistic one.

martino

I would think Wii Sports and Wii Fit U still have some selling power. I find it hard to envision a scenario where games in a series sell upwards of 20 million and then go to selling under 500k each (which would be a relatively big success for WiiU right now). You know what I mean?

it surely looks like baddest scenario
but we're talking about prediction about nintendo future
doomed.gif

Roo

I think people forget on Wii, Nintendo released Smash bros in March and Mario Kart in April back to back months, I doubt they do that on WiiU, but I can see Mario Kart April and Smash Bros U Aug.

Same here.
I think Mario Kart 8 will be an April title.
Not sure about Smash Bros tho

Meesh

Is it possible, even probable that ZeldaU could be released in 2014 with the promise of DLC to flesh out the game at later dates? It's probably not a very good solution to the lack of software, but I'm just imagining what it would be like to play a game that's 4 or 5 dungeons in length and updated periodically. Then when the game's come to an end they could just release a "complete package" hard copy. You'd en up with three versions maybe, dl only, disc + DLC, and later the complete package. Waaaay back in Wiis life when WFC was the thing I remember it casually mentioned by Nintendo that additional content like dungeons ect. could be possible. I suppose what suggesting is more of a band aid but in Nintendos position, does it make sense? Myself I don't think I'd mind buying into a Zelda subscription of sorts with options to own the game in different ways.
Edit: And if not Zelda, would they consider this with any I their properties?

could arika be making an Endless Ocean 3?

I mean that first game sold a million copies and Arika hasnt been doing much aside of porting of 3DS remakes of NES games (which probably isnt that time consuming)

Because, while it still may not have sunk in for some, the Wii U is not and will never be the Wii. The Wii U needs everything it can to broaden its appeal, and the lack of support from a publisher like EA who makes a lot of annualized casual franchises (not in the family sense, in the broad mass appeal) means cutting off a large swathe of customers. Are European consumers en masse going to buy a system that lacks FIFA and Pro Evo - simply put, no. And that's without mentioning that the Wii was both a phenomenon *and* had that support.

Also, I'm not sure what's unclear that it needs repeating again, but getting Just Dance, Skylanders and Sonic in 2015 isn't more third party support than now.

Is it possible, even probable that ZeldaU could be released in 2014 with the promise of DLC to flesh out the game at later dates? It's probably not a very good solution to the lack of software, but I'm just imagining what it would be like to play a game that's 4 or 5 dungeons in length and updated periodically. Then when the game's come to an end they could just release a "complete package" hard copy. You'd en up with three versions maybe, dl only, disc + DLC, and later the complete package. Waaaay back in Wiis life when WFC was the thing I remember it casually mentioned by Nintendo that additional content like dungeons ect. could be possible. I suppose what suggesting is more of a band aid but in Nintendos position, does it make sense? Myself I don't think I'd mind buying into a Zelda subscription of sorts with options to own the game in different ways.
Edit: And if not Zelda, would they consider this with any I their properties?

Shipping incomplete games with the promise of selling you the cut content later is a not a trend Nintendo needs to get into

I really rather just wait until the game is good and damn well ready, not DLC at a later date, and not triforce fetch quests to pad out time

Some Nobody

Mario Kart 8 - Winter
Bayonetta 2 - Spring
Wii Sports DLC Spring
Project Cars - Summer
Wii Sports DLC Summer
Yoshi Yarn - Summer
X - Fall
Unannounced Title - Fall
Art Academy - Fall
Zelda WiiU - Winter
Wii Sports DLC Winter

This is the timeline they "need", to keep from falling all the way off. It's not perfect, but it creates a situation where you have something to talk about every month, and its something people will buy, maybe not in droves, but in higher numbers than what we're seeing now.

Yanikun

Banned
Also, I'm not sure what's unclear that it needs repeating again, but getting Just Dance, Skylanders and Sonic in 2015 isn't more third party support than now.

And again, the difference is getting those now won't do shit, because those aren't games that sell systems but games that thrive on higher install bases. That third-party support doesn't mean much for the Wii U this year, but it will mean more in 2014 and more in 2015 etc. Forget about the amount, you can have 10 games that sell 30k each and you'd be better off with 5 games that sell 500k.

FIFA has never mattered on the Wii. Wii U is not the Wii, but I think we all understand by now the Wii U is not gonna end up selling 100 million units no matter what Nintendo do. FIFA and company are useless, because Nintendo know very well that what they should be shooting for is for the Wii U to be one of two consoles in consumers' homes, with one being PS4, Xbox One or PC, and one being the Wii U. Not many people would have gotten FIFA on the Wii U rather than on one of the first three platforms, whichever they own. For the Wii U to be successful as one of two platforms, it doesn't need to do what the other console does except worse. It has to do what the other console doesn't, or doesn't do as well.

This is the timeline they "need", to keep from falling all the way off. It's not perfect, but it creates a situation where you have something to talk about every month, and its something people will buy, maybe not in droves, but in higher numbers than what we're seeing now.

It is what they need but no way Smash Bros. is coming in the summer and the new Zelda will definitely not be ready for 2014. Start of 2015 at the earliest.

NEW IP Holiday 2014. It's a new genre and saves nintendo, more Wii Us then PS4s sold, and the price is dropped to $99, since they learn how to make it that much cheaper and drop the gamepad.

Neoxon

NEW IP Holiday 2014. It's a new genre and saves nintendo, more Wii Us then PS4s sold, and the price is dropped to $99, since they learn how to make it that much cheaper and drop the gamepad.
The GamePad is literally THE selling point of the Wii U. They aren't gonna drop it.

Some Nobody

And again, the difference is getting those now won't do shit, because those aren't games that sell systems but games that thrive on higher install bases. That third-party support doesn't mean much for the Wii U this year, but it will mean more in 2014 and more in 2015 etc. Forget about the amount, you can have 10 games that sell 30k each and you'd be better off with 5 games that sell 500k.

FIFA has never mattered on the Wii. Wii U is not the Wii, but I think we all understand by now the Wii U is not gonna end up selling 100 million units no matter what Nintendo do. FIFA and company are useless, because Nintendo know very well that what they should be shooting for is for the Wii U to be one of two consoles in consumers' homes, with one being PS4, Xbox One or PC, and one being the Wii U. Not many people would have gotten FIFA on the Wii U rather than on one of the first three platforms, whichever they own. For the Wii U to be successful as one of two platforms, it doesn't need to do what the other console does except worse. It has to do what the other console doesn't, or doesn't do as well.

There's quite a bit of truth to this. That said, I think Wii U could use SOME things other consoles do. They should examine what genres they don't have a proper foothold in and develop something for them. Like for instance, they could use a decent competitive FPS game to grab people's attentions.

hongcha

The GamePad is literally THE selling point of the Wii U. They aren't gonna drop it.

The 3D was the original selling point of the 3DS, and they dropped that for the 2DS. If the dismal Wii U sales continue past the holiday, the gamepad could just as easily get the boot in a cheaper Wii U with a pro controller pack-in.

Some Nobody

The 3D was the original selling point of the 3DS, and they dropped that for the 2DS. If the dismal Wii U sales continue past the holiday, the gamepad could just as easily get the boot in a cheaper Wii U with a pro controller pack-in.

That was AFTER the 3DS made itself a success.

The Wii-U gamepad is actually required for certain games, unlike the mostly superfluous 3D that I always turn down. Wonderful 101, for example, would be impossible to play.

Your whole premise assumes that people want two different consoles in their house.

hatchx

Banned
The Wii-U gamepad is actually required for certain games, unlike the mostly superfluous 3D that I always turn down. Wonderful 101, for example, would be impossible to play.

While I'd agree the two-screen segments would be terrible, it's not impossible to play.

Wii Party U, ZombiU, and NintendoLand, to my knowledge, will be the only games that will be impossible without a Gamepad.

Top Bottom