• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider Man 2s Fraudulent NYC

Pelta88

So I understand the scale issue at hand replicating 1 to 1 and not being able to use certain landmarks due to copyright, but does anyone else who has lived in NYC for any period of time find an appalling lack of landmarks any local would be familiar with?

Population of NYC: 8.4 Million.
Population of the globe: 8 Billion

OP isn't being serious, right?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
It's a game, not google maps

Holy shit I spit my coffee out reading this. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

spit-out-drink-spit-take.gif

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
That magic NeoGAF "first reply" strikes again FTW!

TheKratos

Lotta "itz just a game" bitches in this topic. Sure we don't need 100% accuracy if it comes at cost of a good game but don't act like TC is making ridiculous demands.

Last edited:

DeVeAn

Maybe that what the director was referring too when he said he would cut content for the MJ missions lol.

So I understand the scale issue at hand replicating 1 to 1 and not being able to use certain landmarks due to copyright, but does anyone else who has lived in NYC for any period of time find an appalling lack of landmarks any local would be familiar with?

Brooklyn area is wayyyy too clean cut, missing most of the culture there with small shops/bakeries/ Chinese hole in the walls, shitty bars. It's like Williamsburg is all of Brooklyn.

Manhatten UWS Lincoln center area, the Lincoln square amc. hells kitchen is nothing like the area or even close. A form of the Chelsea high line is at least.rhere which I found cool.

Central Park a third of it's actual size, not even a stand in for tavern on the green? Or the zoo??

Billionaire row is non-existent and this was the easiest miss. I like that oscorp tower is here but where are the other absurdly tall pencil buildings? Don't tell me you couldn't get around copyright with just some crazy original designs.

Columbus Circle, the trademark building with the whole foods.under or which houses a mall and luxury apartments completely absent.

I don't want to hate too hard, I found this game to be excellently made, but there are countless examples where a bit more care could have been put into current day spots that aren't necessarily the craziest tourist attractions that would have really taken the open world to that extra level.

It's not like they even have to match locales completely but it feels like the team didn't have anyone work on the city who actually knows NYC, and just looked at a map and plopped in the Empire State building and a stand in for the Freedom tower and called it a day.
Dude it annoys me so much lol. It’s not even close imo to the actual city. Brooklyn is ridiculous. Nothing like Brooklyn. Little Odessa is somehow greenpoint in this? I don’t get it. I don’t need full accuracy at all but it’s like egregiously inaccurate in the vibe of different parts and geography. GTA IV feels more like actual NY than this.

Last edited:
Having to pay a license fee to depict a building in a game sounds like a meme on r/latestagecapitalism or something. Has this been tried in court? How do movies get away with it? Do you have to pay up if you sing about the Chrysler building? lmao

Topher

Gold Member
haha funny thing about this statement is that if its an xbox game, its valid criticism, but hey man....its a 10/10 game so we defend it.

Hardly. Plenty of criticisms were levied at Starfield and there were plenty of folks defending the game, including me. Doesn't matter if it is a 10/10 game or a 8/10 game. What's with this bullshit perspective that it only happens one way?

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Having to pay a license fee to depict a building in a game sounds like a meme on r/latestagecapitalism or something. Has this been tried in court? How do movies get away with it? Do you have to pay up if you sing about the Chrysler building? lmao

If you're really interested in how it works...

Meifu

Yeah I mean the Avengers tower and Oscorp buildings are totally inaccurate. How dare they? Are you a fucking moron OP?
Post not for you, moron bottom dweller who could never afford NYC . You don't get to have an opinion having never breathed this air

Meifu

So did we run out of woke things to be mad about? Now we have to resort to complaining that this version of NYC is not 1-to-1? Now I haven't played it yet and I hate SJW bullshit as much as anyone here, but the game must be pretty damn good if the most egregious things to complain about are pride flags and missing a hot dog vendor on Park Avenue.
How is this a woke thing lol. Seems people are just made bc it's about their favorite Sony first party game bahahahab

OP I get it, Sucker Punch did Seattle the same way in Second Son. It’s something that only people who have lived in the city will care about, and it’s not a big deal overall, but sometimes it seems like they change things around for no good reason other than they didn’t want to bother. Why set a game in a real city at all if you’re just going to make the city a loose interpretation and beg comparisons? Granted, they’re kind of stuck with the NY location for spidey.

In short, it’s not a serious problem, but it does cause serious dissonance when you’re familiar with the city and that is distracting from the game’s fantasy.

Last edited:

Meifu

OP I get it, Sucker Punch did Seattle the same way in Second Son. It’s something that only people who have lived in the city will care about, and it’s not a big deal overall, but sometimes it seems like they change things around for no good reason other than they didn’t want to bother. Why set a game in a real city at all if you’re just going to make the city a loose interpretation and beg comparisons? Granted, they’re kind of stuck with the NY location for spidey.

In short, it’s not a serious problem, but it does cause serious dissonance when you’re familiar with the city and that is distracting from the game’s fantasy.
Yeah that's all I'm saying here, doesn't ruin the game or anything, it's just a commentary on a msg board with some valid criticism.

Idk why people get offended by this

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's a game, not google maps
Yeah I think you're setting the bar too high. It might not be 1:1 scale or accurate to the details -- it's not supposed to, it's clearly an alternate universe. But it is probably the best explorable version of New York I have played in a video game and I say that as someone who has lived in New York for years.

Boss Mog

I'm more surprised by the people than the buildings. Almost no white people for some reason and almost all the women are wearing pants and are overweight.

consoul

The condensed and stylised versions of Kabukicho, Dotonbori and Yokohama in RGG Studios' games are really nicely done.

Makes for better gameplay than a 1:1 recreation would while still giving the feeling of those locales.

Varteras

Gold Member
How is this a woke thing lol. Seems people are just made bc it's about their favorite Sony first party game bahahahab
You misunderstood my post. Go back and read it carefully. If you're smart enough, you'll see what I was saying.

I think I’d be less bothered by the major inaccuracies if the vibes were on point. I don’t know why but the rockstar team can capture a city’s essence so well - GTA V feels like LA in a way I can’t fully understand how they did it. Same deal with IV.

Also part of it is how everything is condensed for you to be able to swing when you’re on the ground it looks kinda off

Top Bottom