• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Lee says he's done attending Knicks games after disagreement over VIP entrance

cryptoadam

Banned

All Spike Lee wants is to use the employee entrance at Madison Square Garden. Really, it's all he knows.

A long time New York Knicks superfan, filmmaker Lee has been using it for 28 years, he explained this morning on ESPN. But suddenly, at last night's game, they wouldn't let him -- security told him to use a different entrance.

You'd think that would be that, but it's not. Lee is now full-on feuding with the Knicks and team owner James Dolan over his treatment.
All of this comes after an incident at Monday night's game, when video surfaced that seemed to show Lee being denied entry into the game.

Fans questioned how the franchise could treat its biggest fan with such disrespect.
It immediately drew comparisons to the Garden's treatment of former NBA star Charles Oakley, who was ejected and banned in February 2017.

But the video wasn't the full story.
"They wanted me to leave the Garden, walk outside ... and come back on 31st Street. And I said I'm not doing that," Lee said on ESPN. The employee entrance Lee frequents is on 33rd Street. The VIP entrance is two blocks south.

The team released a statement this morning following Lee's comments, writing that the idea that Lee is a victim for being denied entry into the employee entrance is "laughable."

I mean its stupid all around but in the end you aren't an employee and you aren't too good to use the other entrance that I guess normal pleebs use.

Sorry if your special privilages aren't there anymore, even with all your money you only get the regular rich guy perks for now.

cryptoadam

Banned
There's nothing wrong with pleb entrance. He ain't better then anyone else. So I'm glad they're making him use the pleb entrance.

You would think a leftist and a guy who has made a career about complaining about EQUALITY wouldn't have a problem with being equal with everyone else.

But I guess for Spike all animals are created equal, but some are more equal then others.

Piss off your #1 superfan that's been buying season court side seats for decades brehs. Only the Knicks could do some stupid shit like this.
dead.png

Hinedorf

Banned
If you have a customer who has spent in the realm of 10+million dollars to support your product and you actively piss him off you have to be really bad at business and everything else you do in life..... oh that's right ladies and gentleman I present the sound of sucking

ooiymdijwttahpveoakb.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
You gotta wonder if they know or care how this looks to normal people. It's pretty awesome watching this cranky rich guy on national television whining about how he wasn't allowed to enter a massive sporting event through the employee entrance.

Darth

I can’t wait for his shitty movie about this.

If I spent that damn much on the a Knicks as a fan id probably expect better treatment. Not of fan of his at all and the Knicks owner is stupid as well. Just stupidity all around.

Last edited:
He was told he couldn't use the employee entrance any more. And they directed him to use the VIP entrance instead.

The VIP entrance is hardly the pleb's entrance. But using the VIP entrance was not good enough for him apparently.
Really? VIP is better then employee entrance. That's a weird dude.

Gargus

Banned
Fuck him.

EMPLOYEE entrance, means it's for employees. If he isn't one then he can drag his ass through the doors just like anyone else. Being rich or famous doesn't (atleast shouodnt) entitle you to shit.

Want to "show that all men are equal"? then act like you're equal.

MrMephistoX

Doesn’t surprise me. I do like his movies (Malcom X in particular) but I’ve heard stories. My company paid him to produce some ads once and when everything was in the can he demanded more money than we agreed to in his contract before he would turn over the video files: we had to do it because the ad airtime was already bought.

GreyHorace

lil puff

The Knicks have their priorities straight, I see.

Win a fucking game how bout that.

I don't know any (former) Knicks fans who give a shit where Lee enters the arena.

However, I am glad he won't support that dumpster fire. He's welcome in Brooklyn, and they should let him enter the way he pleases. he's a legend in Brooklyn.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Sounds like some entitled rich boy bullshit

Are you an employee? if so then use the employee entrance

if not then have your limo drop you off at the correct door

lol at this entitled millionaire boycott tantrum tho

lil puff

Am I supposed to feel something for either of these dummies?
If you have left over bitterness about the Knicks, maybe.

Other than that, I was wondering why the hell he was still even going to these games, far better shit to do in NYC.

The cries about privilege seem a bit overkill to me. It's nothing at all new for most celebrities.

Nymphae

Banned
Doesn’t surprise me. I do like his movies (Malcom X in particular) but I’ve heard stories. My company paid him to produce some ads once and when everything was in the can he demanded more money than we agreed to in his contract before he would turn over the video files: we had to do it because the ad airtime was already bought.

There was no legal recourse you could have taken for him not honouring a contract? This guy sounds like a real piece of work.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Seems like he doesn't like his privilege and special treatment being taken away from him. If he wants to use the employee entrance so bad I'm sure MSG could use an extra janitor.
It seems like using the employee entrance is a tradition for him not a privilege. He was being redirected to the VIP entrance not filing in through the turnstiles.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean.. could have told the guy "we are changing the policy, so next time go to the other door".. after nearly 30 years of using an entrance.

Bit of a prick obviously, but that is probably more what pissed him off. Security guards are such twats sometimes lol

MrMephistoX

There was no legal recourse you could have taken for him not honouring a contract? This guy sounds like a real piece of work.

You’d be surprised at how some large companies just sign shit without a lengthy legal review or approval ahead of time. Plus the thought I guess was the bad PR from Spike potentially bashing us on Twitter wasn’t worth the additional couple hundred thousand.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I mean.. could have told the guy "we are changing the policy, so next time go to the other door".. after nearly 30 years of using an entrance.

Bit of a prick obviously, but that is probably more what pissed him off. Security guards are such twats sometimes lol
then he should respect the position of a low wage security worker.

ffs he was asked to use the VIP section and this is a huge problem for him.

Boss Mog

It seems like using the employee entrance is a tradition for him not a privilege. He was being redirected to the VIP entrance not filing in through the turnstiles.
I read and understood what was said thanks. It was a form of privilege since he was doing something he wasn't supposed to be allowed to do. How long he'd been doing it is completely irrelevant.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I like the tweet that said that Lee has been to more Knicks games than the Knicks.

Top Bottom