• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpikeTV VGA 2012 nominations revealed

UrbanRats

Lol, Emma Stone has a couple of minutes of dialogue in the whole game, seriously?

I hope Max Payne 3 wins the soundtrack though, amazing one.
I'd have liked Dragon's Dogma in there somehwere and Binary Domain too.

But only within the Wii (U) nomination list. The Last Story is a great RPG. The Last Story's soundtrack is also fantastic. So why wasn't it nominated for "Best RPG", "Best Soundtrack", etc.

You could say that for a heap of games that only make one section. Hot Shots golf is only in sports but it should be in "best handheld/mobile" aswell

No. If they wanted to pick a worthwhile downloadable game, Mark of the Ninja was infinitely better. Journey for GOTY is the equivalent of Jethro Tull for Rock Track of the Year at the Grammys.

Does. Not. Compute.

Not only is Journey the best downloadable title this year by far, also is Jethro Tull a f*ckin' class band covering multiple bases, like progressive rock, hard rock, folk rock, avant garde rock, blues rock and symphonic rock.

No negative Jethro Tull comments allowed good Sir, just take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDgDLp7s4M

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Persona 4 Arena for best fighting game. I'm pleased with these nominations then.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They're coming, but they tend to get unveiled over a lot of weeks.

The only one announced so far is The Last of Us and an earlier note they'll have some "first looks" at next-gen.

Oh yeah I forgot that they were showing some next gen stuff...

Now I will tune in.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Only real competition in the best fighting game bracket is between TTT2 and DOA5. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What do yall think these "first looks" will consist of? Engine Tech demos or actual game trailers.

jet1911

What do yall think these "first looks" will consist of? Engine Tech demos or actual game trailers.

NG_madden_nextgen.jpg

"Target render"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, if we assume the Xbox 720 and PS4 are releasing in Fall 2013, not everyone is going to want to unveil their game at E3, so people will just announce titles that are either cross generation showing an unusually good looking game or just announce games early for mysterious platforms.

We're kind of past the engine tech demo stage at this point for most engines.

Edit:

And some sheer bullshit yes.

Chaplain

Game of the Year #VGA10GOTY
• Assassin's Creed III - Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal
• Dishonored - Bethesda Softworks / Arkane Studios
• Journey - Sony Computer Entertainment / thatgamecompany
• Mass Effect 3 - Electronic Arts / BioWare
• The Walking Dead: The Game - Telltale Games

So, going by this Game of the Year list, this will be the first year that a Live Arcade/PSN game wins the award. Wow.

Hellcrow

Holy shit, I haven't played a single game on the list. Just realized I haven't purchased a single game that was released this year. Too big backlog I guess....

I think it's pretty sad that TLoU was revealed last year and this year it's going to be shown again with the release date still far away and unknown. Sony needs to stop having their games shown at the same event multiple times, imo it just deflates hype.

This should have been their first showing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gears of War Judgement got announced also in GI.

I checked out the press release and so far they have announced South Park, The Last Of Us, and Gears of War Judgement with many more to come.

That list kind of makes sense to announce upfront since they're known games (and something more traditional news media can advertise right away) while the next-gen unveils will be likely to get additional news stories, even among outlets that only cover games occasionally.

I voted Journey for all 7 of it's nominations

Also voted for Xenoblade for RPG and Gravity Rush for best handheld

Really glad they all got nominations

Guri

In general, there were more categories that I was satisfied with the choices. Let's hope they handle it better this time.

But I think we should vote on a category called "Best voice-over by Nolan North in a game". I mean, come on!

Sad to see a few of my favorites from this year not make the list. No Dragon's Dogma, Zero Escape 2, Binary Domain...

But then again, these awards things were never for someone like me. ;D

SamuraiX-

The lists look fine to me for the most part.

Then again, 2012 for the most part felt like a lacking year in terms of games.

gurudyne

The lists look fine to me for the most part.

Then again, 2012 for the most part felt like a lacking year in terms of games.

Same here. My GOTY list for GAF is shaping up to be four games long, one of which is WWE 13. That's pretty lackluster.

The argument against Journey deserving a spot is lacking. Only point I saw was that it isn't as long ("doesn't offer as much content to the player...doesn't offer as much in terms of hours") as other games. An argument is made against the idea of quality ("I don't care how good this game is--I'm sure I'd rate it a 9/10, maybe a 10/10 if I played it") as the determining factor which is alien to me. Portal was a magnificent game in part because of its brevity. The quality of the game overrode its length and I consider it a hell of a GOTY contender--of which it won three awards from various sites/magazines (four if you count "The Orange Box" winning one collectively). Journey repeating that wouldn't strike me as an undeserved accolade.

I'd agree with the graphics-vs-art style argument, but it's Spike TV's awards--they really don't know what they're talking about in this department. And yeah, that's sad and they should care more about this than to use it primarily as a vehicle to shill Mountain Dew to whoever watches this show without the intent of tearing to shreds.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
halo 4 isnt nominated for game of the year? wtf is this shit?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Are these awards really public chosen?

I mean the only categories that appear to be that are Character of the Year and Most Anticipated Game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
"Character of the Year #VGA10CHARACTER
• Connor - Assassin's Creed III
• Commander Shepard - Mass Effect 3
• Clap Trap - Borderlands 2
• Master Chief - Halo 4
• Raul Menendez - Call of Duty: Black Ops II"

Kill.
Me.

Top Bottom