• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Famitsu interview with Hisashi Nogami

Aldric

More specials than in the first game is interesting. l know some people have rejoiced at the removal of bubbler and kraken but all the weapons l used to rise up the ranks had an invicibility special (Octobrush, Neo Sploosh, Rapid) so l hope some of the new specials have roughly the same function.

MarkusRJR

Man, I am so excited for this game. Definitely the Switch's main draw for me, even over Zelda.

Curious what they do with the campaign this time around.

Really glad to hear all the old weapons will be coming back! I was pretty excited to see the Slosher a few days ago - BEST WEAPON YO - and the first game in general has a great weapon base to expand upon.

I think I'll miss the Killer Wail and the Kraken, though...

watershed

Banned
HD rumble could feel so great with this game. Imagine the difference in tactile feedback from hurling ink with a slosher compared to firing one charge with a charger. And every time you splat someone, that could be super satisfying.

J@hranimo

Banned
Well, this was an interesting read. I am glad to hear about the resolution being worked on. The wait continues until the Switch launch and the testfire!

Nice to hear they're still working on improving the graphics but not at the expense of 60fps. Would be great if they could get this going at 1080p like Mario Kart (or at least 900p like Zelda). 720p on the handheld and 720p when docked seems like there's no optimization for TV play at all.

I think for the hardware power they have available Nintendo should be shooting for 900p when docked with new Switch games. That will let them take the 720p handheld mode and add graphical bells and whistles aswell as anti aliasing while also rendering over 50% more pixels at 900p.

Tsunamo

20 seconds and his voice is about to put me to sleep.
Skip to about 1:50 and it gets into the technical aspect of it and skips the voiceover intro.

As someone who's only heard of HD Rumble but hasn't expirenced it in person I can't wait to see how it is on the 3rd. It sounds like a really fun thing that developers can play around with.
In the demo? Nope. But of course things could change still it's still some time before launch.
Really hope it's native 1080p in TV mode then. 1 on Wii U without AA in 720p didn't look that great. Which is a shame because the games themselves are really pretty, they could just do with a bit of AA.

Sendou

As someone who's only heard of HD Rumble but hasn't expirenced it in person I can't wait to see how it is on the 3rd. It sounds like a really fun thing that developers can play around with. Really hope it's native 1080p in TV mode then. 1 on Wii U without AA in 720p didn't look that great. Which is a shame because the games themselves are really pretty, they could just do with a bit of AA.

I think they really can't afford to compromise stable 60FPS (dips in Splatoon 1). If they can manage that easy then I'd like for them to go for 1080p first and then add AA.

Tsunamo

I think they really can't afford to compromise stable 60FPS (dips in Splatoon 1). If they can manage that easy then I'd like for them to go for 1080p first and then add AA.
Yeah for sure. Them mentioning focusing on 60fps in this interview first and formost is good, that should always be the priority rather than resolution.

Will be interesting to see if the March online global test demo is any different in what it runs vs the Switch Event demos.

tsundoku

hope it runs at 720 upscale in the dock because i'm sick of bomb rush spammers abusing tactics to make the game drop to 15fps on big maps

If the weapon selection is indeed set to be bigger than the first game, I hope the interface is a little easier to navigate. The patching of new weapons into the first game was definitely pushing against the limits of what the UI could bear, especially if you took a break for a few months and had to sit through a mountain of weapon introductions in Ammo Knights.

I also see nothing was asked about whether the map rotation system in the first game would be relaxed somewhat. With the introduction of local or portable play that presumably isn't tied to the central server, there ought to be more flexibility on the players' side when it comes to stage selection.

tsundoku

If the weapon selection is indeed set to be bigger than the first game, I hope the interface is a little easier to navigate. The patching of new weapons into the first game was definitely pushing against the limits of what the UI could bear, especially if you took a break for a few months and had to sit through a mountain of weapon introductions in Ammo Knights.

I also see nothing was asked about whether the map rotation system in the first game would be relaxed somewhat. With the introduction of local or portable play that presumably isn't tied to the central server, there ought to be more flexibility on the players' side when it comes to stage selection.
Even if you were a regular multi day per week player, twice they released eight weapons in a single day/patch. Its obviously got to be something they improved on.
I've always had the curiosity to have "loadout sets" like other fps games where everything you equip is really samey, or even just to sort weapons by category like Splatlings, Rollers, Bomb type, Special type, etc.

jariw

Has there been anything mentioned about the more Wii U Gamepad-related specials (like Inkstrike and Beakon)?

Aldric

Has there been anything mentioned about the more Wii U Gamepad-related specials (like Inkstrike and Beakon)?

l don't see why it'd be different than the way super jumping works now: press a button to bring out the map, then select a beakon with the cursor and press another button to jump to it.

Although I still don't really like the fact they're going with the same unlocking schedule the first game had, at least they promised a larger pool of content at launch than the first game.

noshten

More specials than in the first game is interesting. l know some people have rejoiced at the removal of bubbler and kraken but all the weapons l used to rise up the ranks had an invicibility special (Octobrush, Neo Sploosh, Rapid) so l hope some of the new specials have roughly the same function.

I want the Kraken to return but change the animation so it looks like a Sharkfin while not jumping. Make it a little faster but slower to turn and easier to jump over.

Waji

Nice interview except for some question about weapons.
We have a clear answer. The game will feature Splatoon 1 weapons + new ones as well as modification in the balance... but yet the person asks several times more the exact same details for... the exact same answers.

This is cool 'n' all, but where's the Xenoblade 2 interview?
Am I wrong or you just can't let other games breath ?
I mean I'm waiting for news about Xenoblade 2... obviously, but Splatoon is certainly coming before so I don't see why I'd ask for that in this thread.

timshundo

F the haters: I loved the slow content rollout. I think it's the reason I got so hooked to the game in the first place. It kept the game feeling so fresh for more than a year. At no point did I feel like I was being ripped off because of how open the devs were with what was planned for the future.

But people who never gave the game a chance because of this dev experiment aren't gonna listen anyway. Thank god for Japan keeping the Splatoon dream alive.

Around 960 hours of total gameplay. Will probs reach 1000 by the time the new global testfire comes around and then I can let my Wii U sleep an eternal slumber...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
LOL the first few questions and answers.

"So it's a sequel?"

"yes"

"Why is it Splatoon 2?"

"Because it's a sequel"

"This reminds me of that animal crossing updated release"

"Yeah but it's a sequel this time"

"So you're saying as a sequel it'll be different"

"yes"

it felt like most splatoon 2 threads on gaf >_>

ffdgh

Good to know all the weapon types are returning and the Dynamo rollers aren't dead. I'm cool with the gradual weapon updates especially if it'll be more than the first one.

phanphare

Banned
Cant wait to feel the paint going through my joycons.

hd rumble is going to be so cool

as is the sound design does such a good job of conveying what's happening, like the difference in the sound and feedback of an inkling being one hit away from being splat vs. being multiple hits away or the slight difference in pitch when one of your teammates throws a bomb vs. someone on the opposing team. I'm imagining that hd rumble will just enhance that kind of stuff and overall increase the sensory feedback of the game.

StayDead

60fps perfection. A game like this needs a good framerate!

Super excited for this (I mean I was before anyway), but can't wait to play it!

Kikorin

60fps over graphics is always great on action games, glad to hear are working on this. First on Wii U had some fps problems, nothing terrible, but would be awesome if they reach a stable 60fps always.

jariw

l don't see why it'd be different than the way super jumping works now: press a button to bring out the map, then select a beakon with the cursor and press another button to jump to it.

I can't see how cursor-selected beakons could be implemented without being super slow (that is, taking more than half a second). I will probably get killed a lot just by trying to jump to one.

The only thing that makes me a bit reluctant to get Splatoon 2 is that the map seems to work so differently now. Not being able to see the paint progress in real time will result in a different kind of gameplay IMO.

First Splatoon could sometimes dip so let's hope for a solid 60. I don't care too much about visuals, I'm still wowed this is going to be on a handheld.

Sendou

I can't see how cursor-selected beakons could be implemented without being super slow (that is, taking more than half a second). I will probably get killed a lot just by trying to jump to one.

You can control the cursor with gyro. That and I'd say around 95% of time you jump to beacons from your spawn anyway.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
60fps is important. Though I really hope they'll be able to squeeze a higher resolution into docked mode. The 720p they had for the demo seemed quite odd considering the capabilities the Switch should have

This guy seems cool. I love that it's set two years on to keep up with the gap between Splatoon 1 and 2, I love when games do that. (Pokemon Gold & Silver did this too.)

Top Bottom