• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

-shadow-

I was one of those that didn't care about the Tri Slosher and it not getting a nerd, I just had a match against Invisibility with four Tri Slosher and now I get it... That thing is ridiculous! :/

Koren

Strange. I lost only two times against team flight today.
Team Momoko Touyoko too... :D
135835.jpg

(Europe)

I must say I'm only 50:50 too, even if my inking average is over 1300p. There's good and bad players in both teams, I'd say, the field is more even than I expected it to be.

But I wonder, out of ~25 matches, I think I've only seen 3 times the opponent team estimation being lower than my team, and one of those was my only invisibility vs invisibility match.

Dyle

The bubble blower is disappointing. It takes so much ink to pop and doesn't effect as much area as I expected so it can't be used as a panic button like most other specials. It feels like it takes my attention away from actually splatting my opponents/inking the ground and can really only work as a distraction. Hopefully they buff it eventually or it'll get even less use than the stingray

DrArchon

Played my Splatfest power ranking matches and already I'm seeing how much of an improvement just having more balanced team numbers is. 7 matches, only 1 of which was against another of the same team. I was constantly playing against the same team last time. Now I actually feel like I'm contributing to my team instead of spinning my wheels going nowhere.

Team Flight gotta step it up though. Had a game with someone on our team AFK for most of it and still managed to win in the end. And other where 3 people on our team (myself included) got over 10 kills a piece. It's been a slaughter across the board.

True Fire

How does a team of level 30s open with inking spawn? Come the fuck on

One player I had was like level 34, played with a roller, and never left spawn after 3 minutes. Have they EVER won a game???

They got splatted my snipers and kept returning to the same spot to clean up the green blot. It was kind of hilarious to watch.

The bubble blower is disappointing. It takes so much ink to pop and doesn't effect as much area as I expected so it can't be used as a panic button like most other specials. It feels like it takes my attention away from actually splatting my opponents/inking the ground and can really only work as a distraction. Hopefully they buff it eventually or it'll get even less use than the stingray

Use Object Shredder with it and the bubbles pop faster. And I'm not sure but I think Special Up makes the bubbles bigger so larger pops, but I haven't tested it.

It's an amazing distraction tool, gives stage control, and is a moving wall. One thing in Rainmaker is that the other team tend to focus all their attention at popping the Rainmaker, making them easy to flank. Bubble Blower lets you make three "Rainmakers" wherever you choose. They'll be so concerned with killing the bubbles before they pop that they're wide open to be flanked or for you to escape.

It's a really creative tool that rewards imagination. If you just view specials as solely how many kills they get or save you from sudden attack then, yes, it's bad. The Stingray will continue to be the absolute worst because not only is it a bad panic tool and terrible killing weapon, it can't distract or pressure enemies. It cannot do a single thing it is meant to do. I'm curious what they're going to do to patch it to make it not such pure, unadulterated trash.

Koren

Bubbles will only be interesting as a decoy till people won't pay attention to those...

I HATE hosts that kill the game hen they're loosing, three already today :/

tvpivva

Neo Member
Use Object Shredder with it and the bubbles pop faster. And I'm not sure but I think Special Up makes the bubbles bigger so larger pops, but I haven't tested it.

It's an amazing distraction tool, gives stage control, and is a moving wall. One thing in Rainmaker is that the other team tend to focus all their attention at popping the Rainmaker, making them easy to flank. Bubble Blower lets you make three "Rainmakers" wherever you choose. They'll be so concerned with killing the bubbles before they pop that they're wide open to be flanked or for you to escape.

It's a really creative tool that rewards imagination. If you just view specials as solely how many kills they get or save you from sudden attack then, yes, it's bad. The Stingray will continue to be the absolute worst because not only is it a bad panic tool and terrible killing weapon, it can't distract or pressure enemies. It cannot do a single thing it is meant to do. I'm curious what they're going to do to patch it to make it not such pure, unadulterated trash.
^This you hit the nail on the head! I find it quite amazing actually having never really used splattershop pro the forged with this special has been doing me wonders with being creative distracting pushing territory and splatting :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Getting lots of flight vs flight

So inv is prolly winning

correojon

How's the Splatfest going? I'm EU team Invisibility, winning almost all matches and haven't played yet against another inv team.

Bubbles will only be interesting as a decoy till people won't pay attention to those...

Are you implying that awareness of effective strategies would become common knowledge? In this game where brush, roller, and aerospray users will charge face first alone into enemy ink when being spawn camped instead of building special? In this game where people with charger weapons will gladly run to the center stage and try getting into gun fights like they have a shooter? In this game where people will superjump every time to someone --ANYONE, regardless of safety or distance from the spawn?

Is the Splash Wall bad because it doesn't get kills and it breaks after a single bomb throw and a few shots?

Even if they don't focus their fire on the bubbles, the bubbles still force the opponent to respond to them, either by moving for fear of them popping or them blocking their shots which is again, the point of the bubbles giving stage control. And it gives something for your other players to use. Bubbles are a huge signal to other teammates that "Hey! Something is happening over here". Say a Forge player is having a one-on-one with someone and they throw bubbles. A teammate can take advantage of them to assist the Forge player from a distance by firing at the bubbles making the enemy player run or killing them with the pop, all while the bubbles are eating the enemy shots that are aimed at the Forge.

It's just like Tenta Missiles. The missiles aren't going to get a lot of kills, are terrible panic tools, and are pretty easy to avoid if you know what you're doing, but they force the opponent to act in ways they don't want to. And that's the point. Tenta Missiles are long range stage control, bubbles are "close" range.

mstevens

Finally hit Flight King after 37 matches. Ended up going 21-16. What is it about this game that makes 21-16 feel like 10-27?

ChrisD

Was on a big winning streak until an enemy showed up with an N-Zap. I've noticed that in this Fest, for some reason, every N-Zap is highly laggy. Like one-shotting you before even approaching while teleporting kind of lag.

Matchmaking is horrendous today. Been kicked out twice consecutively because not enough players joined. Lost connection to host a bunch of times too. Usually fine during the week but this splatfest is destroying their servers.

ChrisD

One of the messiest maps I think I've ever seen. Looks like Green won.
However

We actually managed! I threw a Bomb Rush at the end, which, along with the lingering spread from the Rainclouds were seemingly just enough to tip the scales.

I don't know how many Chickens Lee threw, but since the Rain was a large factor in the win I can't complain much. I'll just tell myself that they were spamming Chickens all game and are therefore totally a-okay.

And the reason for the image spamming, that game got me to Queen. So that's cool!

Now to inevitably lose the Fest. :'D

Grexeno

Ripped off a win streak to get to 10-8 against Team Invisibility. Two of those losses were 3v4's. Only had one game against Flight so I don't know how some people are getting them every match.

ChrisD

Oh yeah, I was 21/13 in total. My losses were heavily front-loaded. I only lost one game with Rapid Blaster after switching to that. It may just be my new Splatfest weapon.

Koren

Was on a big winning streak until an enemy showed up with an N-Zap. I've noticed that in this Fest, for some reason, every N-Zap is highly laggy. Like one-shotting you before even approaching while teleporting kind of lag.
I've had a couple strange events with brushes... Like you kill the enemy, and the brush still moves for nearly 10 seconds. That's some lag :/

Solobbos

EU, Invisibility. 20 wins, 23 losses to get to Invisibility Queen. Seems that I picked the right team for getting instant matches, but I have never played that badly and had such odd team mates. Well, at least I have some snails coming my way.

DrArchon

Ugh, getting some rough matches here and there. Talking about ones where I get more kills than the rest of my team put together. Was sitting high and mighty at 1900 power, almost got sent down to 1800.

What's the point of power ranking if the game is willing to pair up teams with combined power differences as great as 150 points? Thank God that wasn't against the enemy team, but still. Most of the time it's pretty good about making it so the team powers are pretty close to equal (plus or minus 10 or 20 points) but that 150 point gap really makes me wonder how low the game will go in order to just get players into a match no matter what.

Also seeing a lot more Japanese players than I normally do. Guess ping isn't as much of a factor during splatfests, which shouldn't be surprising when they have to factor in your team and your power. Doesn't make it any more fun to try and fight people teleporting around the map though. Thank God for the Tri-Slosher not giving a shit about that.

DodoZozo

Neo Member
US Team Flight. This was one of the easiest splatfests for me ever. Usually I have to play like a super squid the whole game for our team to just barely win (or still lose) in turf wars, but today I was actually getting great teammates I could count on when I messed up.

23-5

I was mostly using Dynamo Roller. I like it in this game, now that chargers are non-existent.

shiyrley

Banned
Anyone from Europe wanna play on the splatfest? We are missing one person. Just add me and join the room. Online play is region locked so only do it if you're from Europe pls. Flight.

edit: nvm

h0tp0ck3t

Finally made king 19-29. Last splatfest took an hour to make king on team Mayo. This time was like 4.5 team invisible gonna lose I'm sure

I have to say, this theme was at least closer to being split more evenly. Team Flight here and I've only hit 1 mirror match so far. Currently at Champion and only 2 or so games lost.

Dierce

I guess the majority of good players went for flight.

It's not even close in my matches, getting overwhelmingly owned by flight.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
2 com errors in a row

My poor ink resistance milkshake D:

Top Bottom