• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon is the highest selling Wii U game on eShop of All-Time in Japan

@MUWANdo

Banned
Was it? Shit, my bad then. I don't watch much tv and never realized that.

It's cool, I only recently started watching due to kids and I was shocked at how much coverage it was getting--an ad every break or two, a regular splash during programming, the hosts of one cartoon bloc were playing the game in between cartoons for a good fortnight. I do kinda wonder how much difference it made but it's nice to see them try for once.

Sounds like someone doesn't watch cartoon network, Nickelodeon, or saw inside out at a movie theater.

I live in the UK, and inside out isn't out here yet (although I do the cinema and watch tv a lot) and I saw not one advertisement for splatoon.

I can't say I've had any problems with the game online either, runs smooth as anything.

massoluk

Banned
Say what you will about Nintendo and online, but Splatoon is one of the best and memorable online shooter experiences I have had in the recent years since TF2.

Peltz

Although the experience wore thin for me after a bit, I can see myself coming back.

Online shooters don't hold my attention for very long these days. But of all the ones that are out right now, Splatoon is by far my favorite.

Its popularity is well deserved, in my humble opinion.

So glad Nintendo finally successfully launched a major new IP. It's been a while - Xenoblade was probably the last one, right? I hope they do it again soon. Launch one with the NX.

If I could afford another console I'd have a WiiU for this.

Shauni

So glad Nintendo finally successfully launched a major new IP. It's been a while - Xenoblade was probably the last one, right? I hope they do it again soon. Launch one with the NX.

Wii Party was right after Xenoblade.

Sendou

Tomodachi Life is a million seller in west too. Nintendo Land is another.

LOCK

Mpl90 if my memory is correct there was a statement made by SE that during the upgrade promotion DQX had sold 150k units. That was forever ago but it is worth looking into.

phanphare

Banned
By definition you're right. It's not hard to outsell nothing but it's actually impossible. You see to outsell something you need to have at least one other data point to be able to compare.

image.php

NotLiquid

By definition you're right. It's not hard to outsell nothing but it's actually impossible. You see to outsell something you need to have at least one other data point to be able to compare.

That was a very fast reversal of a sick burn attempt.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
When I play ranked battles, especially in the late morning and early afternoon, 6/8 of the people I play with/against are Japanese.

I need this in my life, but i don't know if i should get a Wii U now that NX is in the horizon :/

Guess i'll play it on my friends house, congratulations either way to Nintendo and the dev team for this game!

I need this in my life, but i don't know if i should get a Wii U now that NX is in the horizon :/

Guess i'll play it on my friends house, congratulations either way to Nintendo and the dev team for this game!

Have you considered a refurb Wii U from Ninty? $200

Splatoon deserves all the love it gets.

Kouriozan

sörine;170965268 said:
I don't think that's true at all. It's going to be big everywhere.
Indeed.
Super Maro Bros. 30th anniversary + Let's Super Mario (or something like that) charity campaign + some good advertising and done.

tolkir

sörine;170965268 said:
I don't think that's true at all. It's going to be big everywhere.

I'm not saying to be big, I'm saying to be #1 this year.

It will sell millions but I don't see how Mario Maker could sell more than Fifa, AC, Call of Duty, etc.

Shauni

I'm not saying to be big, I'm saying to be #1 this year.

It will sell millions but I don't see how Mario Maker could sell more than Fifa, AC, Call of Duty, etc.

Super Mario Maker will easily outsell those on the Wii U since they don't exist on the Wii U at all. We're talking about on the Wii U here, that's what the topic is about.

Tomodachi Life is a million seller in west too. Nintendo Land is another.

Tomodachi Life is a good one but will it last? The game doesn't seem to have had much staying power. If it becomes a franchise then you're right. I have no doubt Splatoon will last.

I wouldn't count Nintendo Land though cause it's just a minigame collection of Nintendo IPs - great game but obviously a one-off tech demo.

Busaiku

Xenoblade is absolutely not a successful IP.
It's a critically acclaimed IP, but not successful.

Shauni

Tomodachi Life is a good one but will it last? The game doesn't seem to have had much staying power. If it becomes a franchise then you're right. I have no doubt Splatoon will last.

I wouldn't count Nintendo Land though cause it's just a minigame collection of Nintendo IPs - great game but obviously a one-off tech demo.

Does it really matter if it lasts, though? Wii Fit U and Wii Party U didn't do great business, but they still sold incredible amount of copies when they were first launched, double digits in the case of the original Wii Fit. Success is success, whether it be a shot in the arm or a run in a marathon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I live in the UK, and inside out isn't out here yet (although I do the cinema and watch tv a lot) and I saw not one advertisement for splatoon.

I saw ads on E4 quite a few times and I saw one before Mad Max: Fury Road.

Say what you will about Nintendo and online, but Splatoon is one of the best and memorable online shooter experiences I have had in the recent years since TF2.

Agreed, I don't normally like playing on-line against other people but Splatoon just keeps pulling me in.

Didn't it sell well in Europe?

Neoxon

Splatoon is so good, nintendo should have advertised it more.
Uhh, they did. Splatoon was quite literally everywhere. Hell, I'd compare the advertising they gave Splatoon to Mario Kart 8, which is a great thing.

It got a representative in Smash & a sequel coming to the Wii U. I'd say that's a success.

For reference, The Wonderful 101 would be lucky to have a trophy in Smash 5 on account of the game bombing hard (;_;). Wonder Red has no hope of being playable without the ballot.

Neoxon

Wether its portable or home console (or both), I full expect another Splatoon for NX. Japan seems to be loving it.
If the NX is out in 2017, I can see Splatoon 2 being a launch title. If the NX drops in 2016, then I'm not so sure. Granted, they made this game in a year, but they're still working on the August update. Plus one would think they would need more time to think of new ideas for the sequel & how to get around certain mechanics without the GamePad. That being said, I sincerely hope the controller for the console version of the NX has a gyro sensor.

Azure J

This game really should have been the first game released for the Wii U. It's honestly the perfect representation of everything that could have been in an alt universe where this thing took off.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I dunno, but based on chart positions, I wouldn't think so.

It probably made money, but when X is getting outsold by The Witcher 3 in Japan, the franchise probably isn't in the best shape.

Im pretty sure its a success, there was a point where gamestop had to order more copies from nintendo because they sold out of their limited run so quickly.
Which btw, the limited number running out by itself means it was successful, ontop of reggie infact saying that it was a success.

exfatal

tumblr_nb8o4bPRhE1tjiviqo1_400.gif

Countered swiftly and elegantly bravo.

Also congratulation to Splatoon well deserved having a ton of fun playing it and the consistent updates keeps me coming back. Can't wait till august.

KingBroly

Banned
Im pretty sure its a success, there was a point where gamestop had to order more copies from nintendo because they sold out of their limited run so quickly.
Which btw, the limited number running out by itself means it was successful, ontop of reggie infact saying that it was a success.

We don't even know how many copies it sold because it was exclusive, either. It confused and angered a lot of people, IIRC.

Although, I don't think the original Xenoblade did that well in Japan, either. If XCX doesn't do well outside of Japan, I imagine they'll tell Monolithsoft to stop spending so much money.

But I don't think you can call Splatoon anything but a success, particularly in Japan because console sales are dead, the Wii U is deader, and Shooters don't do that well. Also the game was probably made in a little over a year. So Nintendo obviously hit on something with it. Does it need improvements? Yes. How much of the game's design was built around the idea that it wouldn't sell a lot? Probably quite a bit. I'd hope going forward stuff like Ranked having all extra Modes and 4-hour map rotations are gone and Friend Lobbies are something they have at launch going forward.

Top Bottom