• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon singleplayer campaign announced

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So happy that Nintendo is seemingly putting a ton of effort into this game. It looks fantastic. The music is great too!

Can't wait to play it. Hopefully we'll get it around May.

Lets all be positive. For Splatoon.

I don't know where all the negativity is coming from.

Splatoon is something I've been waiting for - for a long time! And I didn't even know it! And it's coming out in mere months! It's pretty hard not to be excited for this game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Or people say it's going to bomb because they're cynical about the state of the video game industry when it comes to new IP's chances, or people are trying to guilt trip people who always complain about no new IP to actually follow through.

Anyways I'm predicting it's not going to sell well, but will become a cult hit that people 10 years from now will be facepalming that they didn't get it when it came out when they were younger.

On the bright side I hope to get my casual relatives into it (should be easy since it's multiplayer), I successfully got two cousins, my three sisters, and my brother-in-law to become huge Pikmin fans despite all of them thinking the game looked dumb at the start.

If some people try o guilt trip people into wanting to support the game, they go about it horribly wrong, as their comments tend to stand out where majority of people in these threads are usually supportive of the game in the first place. It just becomes rather annoying and seeing people keep coming in just to say it doesnt leave me with good impressions

Village

Oh shit, those are Vans Slip-Ons! GOTY

51pDjlCkowL._SY395_.jpg

But they look like sneakers

Scoops

Banned
Anyone else thinking multi should have an RTS mode where you don't control a character directly but control the general direction of your 4 player team with the objective of still trying to cover more of the map with paint?

ugoo18

There were some people here that were so certain that the game was going to bomb horribly.

I recall a lot of people claiming the game was too weird or too Japanese for it to see any success in the west.

Genuinely surprised at that, admittedly i didn't think it would light up the world sales wise but it looked quirky or interesting enough that i thought it would do decently enough for itself as opposed to bombing.

Although it seems like games like Tomadachi life are able to find success thanks to the broad userbase of Nintendo handhelds.

The sudden negativity is quite jarring. The game isn't going to bomb. I doubt it's going to sell like hotcakes but it isn't going to bomb either. All I know is that I'm going to buy it and enjoy it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I honestly hope splatoon makes it to MLG or whatever is called for online shooters in the same way smash made it into the FGC

lt519

Finally got an internet good enough to watch the direct in its entirety. Besides Captain Toad this game as me the most excited. Knowing the games was slated to be a Mario game at first and after seeing the single player footage it looks like it is Sunshine + Galaxy wrapped into one. I really hope it has an expansive single player campaign. Loving it.

I'm just gonna give my two cents and say I think this game is gonna sell well. Nintendo seems to be pushing this to the forefront in their directs (it was their closer both at E3 and in the recent direct) and I think they want this to be their 2nd biggest game of 2015 (1st being Zelda).

It has the potential to be a big hit even in the current market--it's colorful, unique, has single and multiplayer, and is a shooter which is still one of the most popular genres nowadays (though maybe not on Nintendo consoles). Plus, the reception for this game so far has been overwhelmingly positive. I just can't see them sending this out to die, in fact, I think they're going to market the shit out of this game.

As for amiibo integration, I think they'll want the inklings to stand on their own as characters, so instead of awkwardly sticking other Nintendo characters into the Splatoon universe I'm guessing they'll give us costume items like "Mario's Hat", "DK's tie", or "Samus's Arm Cannon."

I agree with all of this. Like last year's Mario Kart first half and Smash second half you're seeing a similar thing with Splatoon and Zelda respectively.

Finally got an internet good enough to watch the direct in its entirety. Besides Captain Toad this game as me the most excited. Knowing the games was slated to be a Mario game at first and after seeing the single player footage it looks like it is Sunshine + Galaxy wrapped into one. I really hope it has an expansive single player campaign. Loving it.

Tell me about it, I'm hyped as all get out. Then I listen to reaction videos saying that having Splatoon at the end of the direct ruined the excitement.

I. BEG. TO. DISAGREE.

K-A-Deman

I was thinking like in CoD, Battlefield, and many other FPS/3PS games how they have a mini-map of the immediate vicinity. With a full map being there within a button press.

I'm mostly talking from my experience with shooters and Wii U games that use gamepad. Looking down to the gamepad and then back takes quite a bit of time, and especially with the way Splatoon would require you to use one of your hands to use the touch screen to choose a player/spawn to transport to, during which time you won't see what is going on in the main screen.

You're right, it is all speculation right now.

I know I wouldn't if I were in your shoes. Watching the initial trailer got me excited about the game.

I'm talking totally subjectively here, but can someone explain to me exactly WHY it takes so long for someone to glance down or tap the Gamepad that it would be considered better to have a separate menu??

random25

I honestly hope splatoon makes it to MLG or whatever is called for online shooters in the same way smash made it into the FGC

Don't know how it will be especially if may involve random stuff (which tournaments really don't like) but it would really be awesome to see a community for this game grow once it's out in the market and have events dedicated for it like community tournaments and other stuff.

Glass Joe

I don't think this is their proper answer for Goldeneye/Perfect Dark but it looks like it's well made and will be a ton of fun (both locally and online).

The reception has me pleasantly surprised. To me it looks a bit too "Nickelodeon" for the young kids trying to be cool. But since I'm a grown-ass adult, all I care about is good gameplay and this just may deliver.

Hopefully Nintendo is smart and they add a character/stage/trophy to Smash as free DLC when the time comes. Because Smash itself is one hell of a Nintendo advertising tool.

I think it's good that they reconfirmed you can turn off gyro since there are still people who are completely adverse to using/learning motion controls.

I'm talking totally subjectively here, but can someone explain to me exactly WHY it takes so long for someone to glance down or tap the Gamepad that it would be considered better to have a separate menu??

I'm honestly baffled myself as I use the pad to watch my captains' health in Hyrule Warriors without being aware of any real effort or time-lag on my part.
I guess compared to the 3DS you actually lose sight of the TV while you look at the gamepad, while on the 3DS the top screen is still in your field of vision, but flicking your eyes down to note the pertinent info and back up again is incredibly quick and I'm surprised that people seem to think it's disruptive :3

this is the first time I've noticed black inklings I've seen tanned ones but the diversity is cool to see thanks Nintendo for learning AC New Leaf should have been patched

moolamb

I'm honestly baffled myself as I use the pad to watch my captains' health in Hyrule Warriors without being aware of any real effort or time-lag on my part.
I guess compared to the 3DS you actually lose sight of the TV while you look at the gamepad, while on the 3DS the top screen is still in your field of vision, but flicking your eyes down to note the pertinent info and back up again is incredibly quick and I'm surprised that people seem to think it's disruptive :3

I think for certain games where there is really no moments of respite, you'd be punished for looking away from the screen. But in this case, the alternative - push a button, bring up a map, choose your jump - is far worse than a quick look away.

I think it's good that they reconfirmed you can turn off gyro since there are still people who are completely adverse to using/learning motion controls.

I have to say good luck to those using stick as gyro will be far, far faster and more accurate.

DaBoss

Just think of how online multilplayer shooter games have their score display. They have the overall score somewhere on the screen, and they have a detailed score display available at the press of a button. You can look at it quickly, still see what is going on since it is translucent, and you can move around (although it is limited).

The idea is to have a map you can easily look at quickly without moving your eyes. It could be possible that tapping to quick launch would be faster, but in the instance of looking at a map, this would be the faster way. Compared to other shooters though, the map in this game is key.

K-A-Deman

Just think of how online multilplayer shooter games have their score display. They have the overall score somewhere on the screen, and they have a detailed score display available at the press of a button. You can look at it quickly, still see what is going on since it is translucent, and you can move around (although it is limited).

The idea is to have a map you can easily look at quickly without moving your eyes. It could be possible that tapping to quick launch would be faster, but in the instance of looking at a map, this would be the faster way. Compared to other shooters though, the map in this game is key.

Okay, and again how is this a better alternative to just looking down and tapping where to go on a dedicated screen? I'm sorry, but I fail to see why moving your eyes downward for that split second would make it more Ideal to cover your primary screen in a menu where you then have to select where you want to jump (how's that going to work if you can still move?).

I'm not usually a proponent of "Teach to swim by tossing in." But really, that seems to be the only way the GamePad gets a use. Maybe the idea behind GamePad use isn't because it's unique, but because it's simple and non-obstructive? I don't even get why anyone's trying to make the argument for controller options minus Gyro toggles, but that's just me. The most I can see being done is using it for asymmetrical 1 vs 1; wherein the objective wouldn't be to cover the area, there'd be no warp points, and it would be a more traditional shooter affair.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Okay, and again how is this a better alternative to just looking down and tapping where to go on a dedicated screen? I'm sorry, but I fail to see why moving your eyes downward for that split second would make it more Ideal to cover your primary screen in a menu where you then have to select where you want to jump (how's that going to work if you can still move?).

I'm not usually a proponent of "Teach to swim by tossing in." But really, that seems to be the only way the GamePad gets a use. Maybe the idea behind GamePad use isn't because it's unique, but because it's simple and non-obstructive? I don't even get why anyone's trying to make the argument for controller options minus Gyro toggles, but that's just me. The most I can see being done is using it for asymmetrical 1 vs 1; wherein the objective wouldn't be to cover the area, there'd be no warp points, and it would be a more traditional shooter affair.

It's an option that some may prefer. Even if it is slower some players might not like looking down or using the touch screen. It would also let players use a pro controller if they wish. Gyro assisted dual analog will probably be quicker and more accurate but some people want to use pro controller. If it means they'll buy/play the game then why not include it?

Here's how I would make the single screen map (posted in the E3 thread):

"Honestly, the map function can be emulated with a single screen. I think only one face button is used right now for jump. Make one of the others the map button. Press it and the map comes up, the other 3 face buttons are assigned to your teammates. Press one of those to jump to your teammate or press the map button again to close it. edit: Oh, forgot about the spawn warp. Assign that to a trigger."

"1. Press map button
2. See A, B, X moving around on map (and ZL or whatever for spawn)
2b. (optional) Determine who player is (on the map there is the floating letter and over it is the players name)
3. Press button

It could be done very quickly."

I was thinking like in CoD, Battlefield, and many other FPS/3PS games how they have a mini-map of the immediate vicinity. With a full map being there within a button press.

I'm mostly talking from my experience with shooters and Wii U games that use gamepad. Looking down to the gamepad and then back takes quite a bit of time, and especially with the way Splatoon would require you to use one of your hands to use the touch screen to choose a player/spawn to transport to, during which time you won't see what is going on in the main screen.

You're right, it is all speculation right now.

The thing about the player view and map is that it's important to keep them separated. From what I can see their gameplay idea is that you need to focus your view 100% on one or the other, and someone who can do this skillfully will be rewarded. You need to judge when it's ok to look or if you're in a serious firefight looking is made more risky. If you don't look enough/at the right time the other team will gain momentum without you knowing, if you look too much/not at the right time you will get caught off guard by things happening right in front of you. A mini map in the corner would not emulate that and neither would a translucent map that overlays on the main screen. If there were the option to bring up the map on the main screen I think it should cover all or at least most of the screen to simulate looking away. If I were designing it I might even include a slight delay in time with how long it takes to glance down/up.

I like the idea of a separate map, especially with the territory control gameplay, but I don't think it quite justifies exclusive gamepad use yet. In the E3 trailer an airstrike (or "inkstrike") was called in, using the touchscreen to place it. This could be done with an analog stick and button. It would be slower but an acceptable trade-off.

Neiteio

They can't have skatepark levels and not let me skateboard.

Where's the old Tony Hawk team, get them to add skating mechanics for the skatepark.

The gamepad can be used to give commands to allies, i.e. drawing paths where you want an ally to go on the map like how the touch screen was used in Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3DS.

It will be just like Call of Duty on the Wii U. People using Pro Controllers get their asses kicked and then claim that Wiimote users 'cheated'.

This would pan out exactly the same in Kind Icarus Uprising's online modes if they were to patch dual-analog in.

Tom_Cody

It will be just like Call of Duty on the Wii U. People using Pro Controllers get their asses kicked and then claim that Wiimote users 'cheated'.

This would pan out exactly the same in Kind Icarus Uprising's online modes if they were to patch dual-analog in.
Well put. It is amazing to me that you still see people getting upset about the lack of CPP pro support for that game.

Nice. I totally missed that Octorok/Blooper thing.

I'd also not noticed that the octopi only ever use the purple ink to fight. I wonder if you can chose your own ink color for each level or if it will be based around which underground dome you're in.

Although they did miss saying that the cat was the referee in multiplayer matches and that the 'fish balls' appear to be roe of some kind.

Nice. I totally missed that Octorok/Blooper thing.

I'd also not noticed that the octopi only ever use the purple ink to fight. I wonder if you can chose your own ink color for each level or if it will be based around which underground dome you're in.

Although they did miss saying that the cat was the referee in multiplayer matches and that the 'fish balls' appear to be roe of some kind.
Didn't they call the cat a judge in multiplayer? I have to rewatch this.

Yeah, it's pretty obviously fish eggs. I guess the GameXplain guys aren't sushi lovers :)

But I love these analyses. They always notice a ton of stuff I never would have seen. These guys are the best.

Didn't they call the cat a judge in multiplayer? I have to rewatch this.

Yeah, it's pretty obviously fish eggs. I guess the GameXplain guys aren't sushi lovers :)

But I love these analyses. They always notice a ton of stuff I never would have seen. These guys are the best.

Thought they only referred to the cat as a possible shop keeper for custom items. Maybe I missed it, though. Still, it's possible the cat is indeed a shopkeeper, too.

GX isn't just great for pointing out stuff that I missed, but also for verbalizing stuff that I noticed but didn't put any weight into (like the themes going on in the different single-player levels).

Top Bottom