• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SplatoonJP twitter - details about voice chat and matchmaking with friends on Switch

Oregano

Lol My brother is currently playing GTAV online and talking to his thread through his phone because he can't find his headset. I'm blaming him for this terrible idea.

ryechu

I'm assuming the people you are playing with are people you already know, which is what most poeple do when they group up, which means they already know their number or skype info.

That's how I do it on pc at least with my friends playing league or other games, hop on skype, join a party in game and play, not that hard to do.

A lot of people form communities with people outside of their RL or skype friends. Especially with the advent of Discord. Also you are doing it wrong if you are using skype for pc gaming, But that aside, no one is saying this news is great. But lets not get ridiculous and say its as pointless as doing a group call. They've specifically given us, in those 2 short tweetsm a reason why it'll be a bit more compelling than that. What group call can split the voice lobbies according to the teams are (potentially randomly) formed?

It's because of a similar function that i still use Mumble. It's nice to be able to allow and disable cross team chat, especially during 5v5 inhouses.

I really can't with them anymore...

So we get a taste of what we really wanted (full voice chat support in all lobbies w/ a simple toggle) but now have to pay $20 for it.

Even at $20, I think I'm still having somewhat of a hard time justifying it.

Has Nintendo ever specifically said that a party chat system would be available through the app? Now that they're saying you need the app for basic in-game chat functions, can we still assume they were referring to a true party chat system from the phrasing? How is game audio handled when starting voice chat?

There a far too many questions to be answered for them to be releasing such limited info.

jorgejjvr

I think there is only a headphones jack on the switch as a portable, not on the controller itself. Maybe this is why they did it this way

brawly

I think there is only a headphones jack on the switch as a portable, not on the controller itself. Maybe this is why they did it this way

They made that decision before designing the controller...I hope. That would be something Nintendo would do though, realize one day that they forgot to put a headphone jack on the controllers and then scrambled to put this "elegant solution" together.

Meh.

I've been using Google Hangouts when I'm chatting with friends on Splatoon, Mario Kart, Minecraft, etc. It's super clear, and I can switch the camera of my phone on to show them my screen if something is going wrong.

I mean, on paper the idea with the app sounded fine but this is probably gonna be a mess.

What I don't get is how people can read that second, full translation in the OP and still read that as somehow confirming this app is mandatory for all voice chat and matchmaking...

It's not like there are Nintendo Switch branded headsets with mics coming out or anything... Oh wait.

Nintendo really needs to clear this up with an OS/UI/VC/Online Direct ASAP.

Audioboxer

And in the price thread for what Nintendo want to charge there is a lot of agreeing it is a good price. I'm sorry, but any onlin service charging with this kind of functionality setup is a joke.

Shiggy

And in the price thread for what Nintendo want to charge there is a lot of agreeing it is a good price. I'm sorry, but any onlin service charging with this kind of functionality setup is a joke.

Neogaf also has a lot of Wii U owners and Switch fans. NeoGAF might not be the best place to judge whether something is appealing to the mass market.

What I don't get is how people can read that second, full translation in the OP and still read that as somehow confirming this app is mandatory for all voice chat and matchmaking...

It's not like there are Nintendo Switch branded headsets with mics coming out or anything... Oh wait.

Nintendo really needs to clear this up with an OS/UI/VC/Online Direct ASAP.
Can you link to these headsets? Also, where does the headset connect to - to the tablet? What if the tablet is docked and you're 5-10 feet away? Can we use a wireless headset or gotta connect to the phone? Something as trivial as VOICE CHAT that has been around for years shouldn't be this difficult to explain. Most of us think it's forced through smartphones because Nintendo can't even clear it up with a simple response. Reggie's fucking bulky gamer headset bullshit is alienating.

Shiggy

we're actually a bunch of sony ponies, idk what you're talking about

Perhaps in Sony threads, which I rarely visit. Every NeoGAF thread is kind of its own bubble. People who have no interest in Nintendo won't frequent Nintendo threads as much for example. Thus those saying the online system or the Switch system etc. are usually just always the same, and in reality a bit detached from the mass market. It's easy to get stuck in some bubble.

Audioboxer

Neogaf also has a lot of Wii U owners and Switch fans. NeoGAF might not be the best place to judge whether something is appealing to the mass market.

I'm a Wii U owner! I'm mildly interested in Switch, but the pricing and daft Nintendo decisions are something else. Pricing I end up having to accept because of the hybrid setup, but Nintendo are being their usual stingy self with accessories and game prices.

Grakl

Perhaps in Sony threads, which I rarely visit. Every NeoGAF thread is kind of its own bubble. People who have no interest in Nintendo won't frequent Nintendo threads as much for example. Thus those saying the online system or the Switch system etc. are usually just always the same, and in reality a bit detached from the mass market. It's easy to get stuck in some bubble.

it was a joke, I just like saying sony ponies

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I updated the OP with the Splatoon tumblr info in English. It's pretty clear that the smartphone app is the one that facilitates the voice chat and matchmaking with friends.

It's also confirming that it's not possible to voice chat with randoms, just with friends.

Oregano

I updated the OP with the Splatoon tumblr info in English. It's pretty clear that the smartphone app is the one that facilitates the voice chat and matchmaking with friends.

It's also confirming that it's not possible to voice chat with randoms, just with friends.

If they're restricting it to friends then I don't get the need for the app.

I bet having an app was DeNA's idea and Nintendo was too stupid/stubborn to say no.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If they're restricting it to friends then I don't get the need for the app.

I bet having an app was DeNA's idea and Nintendo was too stupid/stubborn to say no.

My feeling is that the app is linked with the paid subscription somehow.

opricnik

Banned
And people asking for third party why wont come to Nintendo.

Lol at bringing Overwatch to switch when you cant talk to people in game(randoms) in competitive

And people asking for third party why wont come to Nintendo.

Lol at bringing Overwatch to switch when you cant talk to people in game(randoms) in competitive
I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of chat on modern consoles. Is chatting with randoms an OS-implemented feature, or is it on the game? I thought only party chat was on the OS level.

Can you link to these headsets? Also, where does the headset connect to - to the tablet? What if the tablet is docked and you're 5-10 feet away? Can we use a wireless headset or gotta connect to the phone? Something as trivial as VOICE CHAT that has been around for years shouldn't be this difficult to explain. Most of us think it's forced through smartphones because Nintendo can't even clear it up with a simple response. Reggie's fucking bulky gamer headset bullshit is alienating.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5PB7VV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Designed for the Nintendo Switch system
Powerful 40mm Neodymium drivers for incredible audio
Flexible boom and noise-canceling microphone

I have no idea how to answer your other questions because Nintendo hasn't given us any information. But why would headsets like this (there are others on Amazon) exist if voice chat isn't possible without the app?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of chat on modern consoles. Is chatting with randoms an OS-implemented feature, or is it on the game? I thought only party chat was on the OS level.

It's been standard on XBL since the 360 came out. It's available on most PS4 games.

Boke1879

So does this only apply to voice chat? Do you only need the phone for voice chat or do you need the phone to match make with friends as well?

ryechu

Yes, i think its been evident that you need the app to voice chat with friends. Also the app allows you to form rooms with people in your friends list.

However, I dont think ( and I would bet money on this) that if you lack the app or a phone, that you will be unable to access friend's turf wars, squad rooms or private rooms using a passkey.

Basically as I see it, no functionality from Splatoon 1 is being lost, but nothing is being gained outside of using the app. It's like steam. You can use the friends list to send game invites or join game invites, and it opens up the game and puts you in the lobby, but you can still form lobbies using the in game interface. You just wont be getting voice chat tied to that lobby.

Amused

I have no idea how to answer your other questions because Nintendo hasn't given us any information. But why would headsets like this (there are others on Amazon) exist if voice chat isn't possible without the app?

Maybe they give zero fucks about the hardcore gamer backlash we are seeing on Neogaf and in other above average gaming interested communities.

That would be some pretty fucking incompetent way of going about things. I guess we can't completely rule it out.

It still feels like the owls actually are what they seem in this particular case.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hmm I see what you mean. It's just confusing considering there's games with online releasing before the app/subscription.

And coincidentally the app it's also not ready and it's launching at the same time with the paid subscription. I think the launch games will remain as they are and they will have no voice chat but maybe some basic matchmaking, but for the games releasing after the app is ready everything (voice chat and friend matchmaking) will go through subscription.

Maybe they give zero fucks about the hardcore gamer backlash we are seeing on Neogaf and in other above average gaming interested communities.

That would be some pretty fucking incompetent way of going about things. I guess we can't completely rule it out.

It still feels like the owls actually are what they seem in this particular case.

I really doubt Nintendo cares about any backlash that appears to be contained to GAF, I agree.

And I really doubt there is no voice chat possible on the system without the app. Maybe for Splatoon 2 and other Nintendo games, but I can't imagine third parties won't add in voice chat to their games if they want. These headsets existing are surely proof that it's possible, right? How else can you explain them?

Oregano

And coincidentally the app it's also not ready and it's launching at the same time with the paid subscription. I think the launch games will remain as they are and they will have no voice chat but maybe some basic matchmaking, but once the app is ready everything (voice chat and friend matchmaking) will go through subscription.

That would be hella messy(so probably correct). Wouldn't that mean people would be able to play MK8 and Arms for free though? I doubt Nintendo would want that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That would be hella messy(so probably correct). Wouldn't that mean people would be able to play MK8 and Arms for free though? I doubt Nintendo would want that.

MK8 is a Wii U port so I expect to keep the online pretty much like on Wii U. Arms might get more online features added with the app.

But in the end it's quite tricky to expect people to pay for something that they used for free for 4-5 months. Assuming the subscription starts in September it would be anyhow late for MK8 and Arms no matter how it is managed.

Oregano

MK8 is a Wii U port so I expect to keep the online pretty much like on Wii U. Arms might get more online features added with the app.

But in the end it's quite tricky to expect people to pay for something that they used for free for 4-5 months. Assuming the subscription starts in September it would be anyhow late for MK8 and Arms no matter how it is managed.

I was under the assumption it would be explained when you add/made your Nintendo account that it would become paid in the fall.

From Nintendo's standpoint MK8 would be a big title to get people paying the subscription, even if its a port.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Basically as I see it, no functionality from Splatoon 1 is being lost, but nothing is being gained outside of using the app. It's like steam. You can use the friends list to send game invites or join game invites, and it opens up the game and puts you in the lobby, but you can still form lobbies using the in game interface. You just wont be getting voice chat tied to that lobby.

This is my guess/hope for the game. Regressing from Splatoon 1 would be a big misstep. Using this app to supplement what Splatoon 1 did is okay. Incorporating what this app can do into the game would be best.

Glad there is some 'positive spin' in here. I don't think this is really too much of a big problem. A few caveats and a few advantages.

So I always have my phone by my side playing PS4, checking messages and browsing while matchmaking. The only people I know who don't have phones (friends kids) are at the same age that their parents doesn't want them talking to people online anyway.

Sometimes I use my phone with the PlayStation messages app to quickly send people a message to see if i can join their party, to check they aren't in a Destiny raid or something. I've often thought it would be cool to manage parties and invites to parties in this app too.

I mean I mainly use voice for this sort of thing, but it's not always possible. Also some people just flat out don't do voice chat, but only work with messages, so phone app works far better for typing. The alternative is pecking out messages with a dualshock.

Secondly - this stuff uses resources - it might not be much, it might barely affect your phone, but switch battery life seems more precious, I would rather it hit the phone battery a bit than run out my Switch battery 30% quicker because of voice chat background processes and it's OS software/hardware being a bit more bloated to deal with all this on board. And yes, VITA has it built in, but apparently it affects battery life by a decent margin when group chatting, from doing a quick google search.

So overall, so far I don't see any real disadvantage, it's a bit of a wash of ups and downs.

So now what about headphones. I can see this being troublesome.

With detachables, motion controls, docking, there are a lot of combinations to think about.

I first want to say, not everyone knows this, BT sound quality in 2-way profile with voice is still AFAIK still dogshit. Mono stream with crappy bitrate just good enough to carry a phone conversation. That's why PS4, Xbox and PC wireless gaming headsets are not BT, they are propriety dongle wireless. That's why apple made the w1 chip, to build on BT and bypass some of it's quirks. This isn't 'oh it's a bit low quality for audiophiles' like regular BT.... 2-way A2DP profile with mic is known to be flat out bad. Keep this in mind.

So lets go through the possibilities

Docked, game audio through TV
Un-docked game audio through switch speaker
Docked, game audio through BT headset
Un-docked game audio through BT headset
Un-docked, game audio through 3.5mm

Add game-chat into the equation and the first 2 pass easily. 3.5mm, or even better, a micro BT headset (i'll personally be using a single airpod) paired with phone ranges from almost as convenient as plugging a 3.5mm into controller, to being more convenient with BT, in my opinion.

As for the rest, all fail if using earbud or IEM style headphones for game audio.

But if you are using bigger over the ear style cans, a lot of them are quite accommodating to an airpod or similar. I use my headphones to play ps4, setting them over a single airpod for listening to podcasts while gaming. I've taken calls this way too, but of course i have to pause the game or mute game audio temporarily. It's not as uncomfortable as you think.

So yeah, not perfect for all scenarios, I don't know why the joycons don't have 3.5mm jacks, but brainstorming I can think of a few possible reasons, and the end result is maybe at most a 2 out of 10 on the nintendo fuck up scale, when some of you are trying to make out like this is a 10 out of 10 fuck up and disaster.

Additional

So one solution people are saying here is to have a 3.5mm jack on one joycon. Would have to be both no? Since you can play switch with a single joycon in 'kickstand mode'. Yeah... maybe, I dunno. motion controls... movement... headphones getting ripped out of ears.

I can't help but think if online communities designed the switch we would end up with the console equivalent of the car that Homer designed in the Simpsons.

Pandy

Lol My brother is currently playing GTAV online and talking to his thread through his phone because he can't find his headset. I'm blaming him for this terrible idea.
Don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but playing GTA Online with my buddy yesterday gave me a theory about why chat is through the app on Switch.

My buddy and I use voice chat, but unless we use the right combination of headsets and audio outputs we can't record the group chat thanks to the joys of PSN. This makes assembling a group chat video a pain as we'd have to aggregate the audio from videos recorded at either end. (We could get a secondary device to solve the problem, but it isn't that big a deal to us at the moment.)
Point is, if PSN wasn't crappy at recording group voice chat, it'd be very easy for us to share stuff with us chatting over it, and it's easy for me to do a solo video just now.

Nintendo are including video sharing with Switch, but they probably don't want to have to monitor Switch videos for racist or other offensive language, so their solution is to divorce voice chat from the gane audio completely.

Not great, but not 'backwards thinking' from Nintendo either.

When you're outside with your Nintendo Switch are you going to check skype to see who's online in Mario Kart? The Switch app makes sense when you're on the go. Think about it.
...other platforms allow you to do this without requiring an app. I can easily check if my friends are on PSN or Steam anytime from my phone. They work great as supplementary pieces of software.
Don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but playing GTA Online with my buddy yesterday gave me a theory about why chat is through the app on Switch.

My buddy and I use voice chat, but unless we use the right combination of headsets and audio outputs we can't record the group chat thanks to the joys of PSN. This makes assembling a group chat video a pain as we'd have to aggregate the audio from videos recorded at either end. (We could get a secondary device to solve the problem, but it isn't that big a deal to us at the moment.)
Point is, if PSN wasn't crappy at recording group voice chat, it'd be very easy for us to share stuff with us chatting over it, and it's easy for me to do a solo video just now.

Nintendo are including video sharing with Switch, but they probably don't want to have to monitor Switch videos for racist or other offensive language, so their solution is to divorce voice chat from the gane audio completely.

Not great, but not 'backwards thinking' from Nintendo either.
Nintendo being paranoid over something they shouldn't be paranoid over is hardly a compelling reason for this to be a thing. This is about as lame as the earlier "think of the children" rationale.

Top Bottom