• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SplatoonJP twitter - details about voice chat and matchmaking with friends on Switch

Peltz

This online system will work perfectly if you're a squid, but not if you're a kid.
*slow clap*

I'm less concerned about party chat and more concerned about finding people to play. Splatoon is great because you literally never wait for a match. A payway might change that for Splatoon 2 however.

Man... Really guys? Y'all still denying it? :/

I don't doubt that this is likely going to be the case (the app being mandatory for some of these features) but let's not act like it's confirmed until it actually is. We know for a fact you can do matchmaking with friends in USFII without the app, for instance.

The picture is still unclear because Nintendo is shitty at communicating details about features like this.

Atheerios

Why is nobody talking about the fact that Nintendo is only enabling chat for private matches?

That means that any random matchmaking (probably in any game) won't be eligible for voice chat.

DrArchon

Why is nobody talking about the fact that Nintendo is only enabling chat for private matches?

That means that any random matchmaking (probably in any game) won't be eligible for voice chat.

Because this is coming from a series where the previous game had zero voice chat, so it's still technically an improvement.

Gotta protect the kids, though.

First thing I do in every online multiplayer game is mute everyone if it's an option. Why would they want to open the doors to the type of hatred and bullshit that happens in games like Overwatch? I've never once heard something of value from some random while playing online. Only when partying up with people from gaf for Destiny raids or whatever.

Just because something is a standard doesn't mean it's good. It actually matters little to me because I almost never play online with people I know. But like the few times a year that I do? Clicking the app on the phone doesn't seem any more troublesome than setting up party chat on ps4 tbh.

Don't think I don't see y'all in Destiny gaf and Splat gaf posting on gaf from your phones between every match anyway.

Siege.exe

But that's my point - even 'the bare minimum' isn't good enough for an online subscription service in this day and age. Even if Nintendo do come to their senses and have voice chat on the console itself, how it that a selling point in 2017?

The bare minimum is enough for me to suck it up and pay. No one wants to pay to play online, but given that the Switch will eventually have Smash and Pokemon, I'd have to get over it.... if the basic features that one would expect an online service to have were there. I'm not paying for their online until they build voice chat into the OS. Period. I will bitch about it until it's done, and if it never comes, well I just guess that means that I'll be bitching about it for the entirety of the Switch's life.

First thing I do in every online multiplayer game is mute everyone if it's an option. Why would they want to open the doors to the type of hatred and bullshit that happens in games like Overwatch? I've never once heard something of value from some random while playing online. Only when partying up with people from gaf for Destiny raids or whatever.

Just because something is a standard doesn't mean it's good. It actually matters little to me because I almost never play online with people I know. But like the few times a year that I do? Clicking the app on the phone doesn't seem any more troublesome than setting up party chat on ps4 tbh.

Don't think I don't see y'all in Destiny gaf and Splat gaf posting on gaf from your phones between every match anyway.
Well I chat to randoms in Overwatch.

Surely having the option is okay?

Jeels

I okay the majority of my online sessions with randons. Wow this is beyond disappointing. I may not be signing up for Nintendo's online service and that's mean skipping games like Bomberman, Splatoon, armS, and Mario kart.

This is such an utter clusterfuck, and the fact that they've got the nerve to charge for online with this kind of converluted bullocks is even more insulting than usual from them.

Sayad

C3lDo9qVUAALIiR.jpg
And people say the google pixel looks ugly!

Pif

Banned
Geez, I wonder how the original Xbox managed to do that then.

With resources taken from the games.

As a mainly single player gamer, I'm ok having more grunt to dedicate to games only, but this online structure is inadequate even for 10 years ago.

Well I chat to randoms in Overwatch.

Surely having the option is okay?

I'm really not taking a side either way. With the context of Nintendo's whole business being geared toward making a safe, inclusive environment for people of all pages, an option as part of parental controls would make sense.

I just don't think it's as big an inconvenience as people are making it out to be. As I said, seems like the same amount of steps as setting up party chat on PS4. Time will tell.

Mattenth

What really concerns me is the one-off nature and feel here...

Is this a Splatoon-only app?

If an indie dev wants to make a shooter with voice chat and parties, are they signing up to make an app as well?

Just another bullet point of why this hardcore Nintendo fan isn't buying a Switch until all these issues are remedied. Can't believe they want us to pay for this HAHAHA

Regiruler

We're talking about overall system resources, not visual rendering capability. Voice chat would reduce battery life, and they may have decided to make a trade off between that and screensize, brightness, and rendering capability. It's clear that the Switch COULD handle voice chat given the hardware.

Or you could let users disable it.

And that battery life is coming from a more important device instead.

Timeaisis

Voice chat is also linked to the game.

So does this confirm that the app is non-essential? I'm still confused.

Sucks that it's private matches only for voice chat, but it's what I was expecting.

couldn't you just add "someone you don't know" on the smartphone app now? If anything this will just make kids give out their phone numbers or whatever is needed to random strangers which is way worse than an online username. And if it is just an account you log in on the app and share a friend code or whatever, why couldn't that just be on the console itself? I don't see any benefits at all of forcing it on a random app where they have less control than the actual console itself, but maybe I'm missing something. I think it'd be a nice option to be able to use phones for voice chat, but that should never have been the main way to have voice chat in a multiplayer game..

Geg

So does this confirm that the app is non-essential? I'm still confused.

Sucks that it's private matches only for voice chat, but it's what I was expecting.

I think the meaning there is "voice chat is linked to the game (by the app)"

KingV

Thsts the practical default experience now in online games anyway. Nobody talks

brawly

We're talking about overall system resources, not visual rendering capability. Voice chat would reduce battery life, and they may have decided to make a trade off between that and screensize, brightness, and rendering capability. It's clear that the Switch COULD handle voice chat given the hardware.

All of this moot when playing from home, which is where the vast majority will be playing online.

This is a non-issue to me, as I'd never be playing the Switch online, but it's still such a bad idea that I can't believe it's happening. Why can't Nintendo just let parents be parents rather than ruining their entire online experience for everyone?

boiled goose

good with gravy
What really concerns me is the one-off nature and feel here...

Is this a Splatoon-only app?

If an indie dev wants to make a shooter with voice chat and parties, are they signing up to make an app as well?

Yes. The potential for lack of real integration is what is really worrisome.

An app could be tolerable, but it has to be well integrated, not a one off solution for specific games. I'm really concerned that this will be the worst possible scenario.

I just wanted my Splatoon 2 experience to look like this

-Plug headset into the 3.5mm headphone/mic jack on the Switch for mixed game sound/voice chat
-Boot Splatoon, go to multiplayer menu
-Click "invite friends" and select desired friends
-Friends join which forms a party in the game for matchmaking
-I can talk to my invited friends via headset

you know, like every other multiplayer shooter

boiled goose

good with gravy

Because with Nintendo people have come to expect the bare minimum but still be disappointed

Oregano

Is it just me or is having it deeply integrated into the game more consulted than just having a generic party chat?

It's ridiculous...

phanphare

Banned
Or because lack of voice chat in public games in Splatoon was a god send?

yeah private voice chat with friends should be a standard thing on the console through the OS. the smart phone stuff is dumb if that is all there is.

however voice chat with randos is the literal worst and splatoon would be worse off with that enabled. if people must have that then have it off by default and hide it away in some settings menu.

Lom1lo

Great and how the hell can I Chat with friends while using headphones for gamesound? I cant believe this is actually happening

Nerazar

Well, two 140 character tweets do not explain this feature properly, it seems... Nintendo really needs to clarify how they intend to provide that service for non-smartphone users.

Top Bottom