• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SplatoonJP twitter - details about voice chat and matchmaking with friends on Switch

So I'm getting the impression there is no voice chat at launch and possibly no online play at launch. Is bomberman local only multiplayer until online launches?

We already know USFII will have online play (with friends even!) at launch. EDIT: Whoops, not a launch game my bad. I think Bomberman was confirmed to have online multiplayer but they didn't specify how it works.

The problem I have with all of that isn't the app, it's that you have to pay to use it. If all of this was free it would be a great solution imo, but it isn't. I don't even know if my phone will be supported.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay to use the app. You have to pay to use the online services (though your online subscription) the app provides once the Switch online is behind a paid subscription in Fall.

Yeah my bad I meant the main console controller.

When docked, I'm assuming the chat is via the phone.

Oh really? Wow, we didn't know any of that.

it's alright man just be 100% sure next time you want to be that guy :p

Ok.

So you have your headset on and plugged in to your phone

How do you hear the game? A second headset plugged into your Switch? I actually can not picture how this is supposed to work

If it's docked, the ONLY way you'll be able to chat + hear game audio is when/if Nintendo implements Bluetooth headset support.

Apathy

"Nintendo needs to come out and explain it!!!! Yeah, not like Reggie in his own words and in plain English already did that right?

Face it, it's stupid from the get go to have this not be part of the os. Like if their big thing is don't want predators taking to kids, you got parental controls for the system anyway. When toy create profiles you can ask "is this profile allowed to use voice" and you can monitor shit from the parental control. Fuck Nintendo, you want to be taken seriously, then stop making stupid decisions.

Ridley327

Ok.

So you have your headset on and plugged in to your phone

How do you hear the game? A second headset plugged into your Switch? I actually can not picture how this is supposed to work

What kind of headset are you planning on putting on your phone for voice chat purposes? I'd assume it's just a mono-piece, which isn't going to impede on any game audio if the system is docked.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The whole "wait for Nintendo to communicate" is just a deflection. Nintendo IS communicating. Reggie talked about it in a lot of interviews. The smart app is presented on Nintendo sites with exactly the same purpose. They just posted on the Splatoon official twitter account the details about how this works in Splatoon 2. This is what they want to communicate to the audience. This is no leak, this is their PR plan.

Nintendo is fucking communicating the details about this, you just refuse to hear what they're saying.

Edit: if it wasn't clear enough, I'm talking about the topic of this thread, not Nintendo's communication in general.

What kind of headset are you planning on putting on your phone for voice chat purposes? I'd assume it's just a mono-piece, which isn't going to impede on any game audio if the system is docked.

Many people actually use the type of (usually wireless) headset your avatar is wearing or a stereo headset plugged into the controller.

Effect

So I'm getting the impression there is no voice chat at launch and possibly no online play at launch. Is bomberman local only multiplayer until online launches?

Online is available at launch. Several games have it. At launch it will likely be no different then what is offered on the Wii U where you just select the online option in the game menus and get matched with randoms or those on your friends list. Anything Mario Kart 8 does on the Wii U will likely be the standard from day one.

Paid services don't happen until the Fall of 2017. They said/implied all the services will be rolled out as time goes on. So we'll at least see what they're offering before the pay wall goes up. Once that happens the app they have will have two states. The paid state when you pay for the online service and the free state when you don't. The websites list what is available in both at the moment.

Nintendo is fucking communicating the details, you just refuse to hear what they're saying.

Nintendo also has a habit of simply not talking about B or C in order to focus on A. Sometimes this is very stupid. Example in this very thread is that ARMS has button controls. They make no mention of that when it was announced and talked about until the Treehouse demo. Splatoon had a single player game but they waited a long time to even talk about it or mention it. Splatoon 2 likely has the same thing but their focus so far has been on the portable nature and new weapons, maps, etc and haven't bothered at all to talk about the single player game or features. Nintendo communicates yes but they don't do so fully. There is usually something else they're not talking about or focusing on for some reason or another.

Again though I still find it confusing this is the thing people are getting angry about.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It sounds clunky but I reall really hope this is well integrated...

Is there one unified friend list? (Right now miitomo, 3ds, wiiu, mario run all have different lists...)

Is this an os level solution or just game by game basis? If the latter, this is beyond awful and extremely behind the curve.

Is there a solution for wanting voicechat in portable mode? Seems like we would need two headsets!!

I'm extremely worried. This sounds horrible.

The whole "wait for Nintendo to communicate" is just a deflection. Nintendo IS communicating. Reggie talked about it in a lot of interviews. The smart app is presented on Nintendo sites with exactly the same purpose. They just posted on the Splatoon official twitter account the details about how this works in Splatoon 2. This is what they want to communicate to the audience. This is no leak, this is their PR plan.

Nintendo is fucking communicating the details, you just refuse to hear what they're saying.

The fact that we've seen other games offer some of these features (like Street Fighter) and the fact that Nintendo has detailed almost nothing about the OS itself, besides the home screen menu, indicates that they should have more information to share before launch.

I don't think anyone has explicitly said the app is the only way to have voice chat on the Switch, although I do admit Reggie implied it. But then again Reggie has often implied things that are not the case.

OléGunner;229499767 said:
TV output seems like the only option?

Wont the headset pick up the TV audio? So if you're in a 4 person chat party then you'll hear every persons TV coming through?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, just attempting to understand

Geg

"Nintendo needs to come out and explain it!!!! Yeah, not like Reggie in his own words and in plain English already did that right?

Not really? He said it would allow for "enhanced matchmaking and lobbies" and never elaborated on what that actually meant. Which I guess is partly what these tweets were doing.

Everything right now just points to it being Nintendo's version of Discord, but with more restrictions because Nintendo

These tweets from the Splatoon twitter are the first actual details I've seen about it since it was announced though. Everything else was just vague, broad statements.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The fact that we've seen other games offer some of these features (like Street Fighter) and the fact that Nintendo has detailed almost nothing about the OS itself, besides the home screen menu, indicates that they should have more information to share before launch.

I don't think anyone has explicitly said the app is the only way to have voice chat on the Switch, although I do admit Reggie implied it. But then again Reggie has often implied things that are not the case.

Some of the online functionalities won't be at launch. The app itself will come just in the summer as trial and in the fall with full features. So the games coming before that have to work without it.

And I never saw Reggie underselling something. Because that would this be if that's the case. He usually oversells the features.

boiled goose

good with gravy

The fact that people have tons of legitimate critical questions means they aren't communicating well enough.

Wtf are you defending this?

The system launches in a month. people want to know how it works before buying.

Nintendo has been very vocal about the app but they haven't told us much at all about the console OS. They desperately need to communicate what we can and can't do on day one, especially when the app isn't out until summer. That being said, I definitely agree that people hoping for OS-level party chat will likely be disappointed. The writing is on the wall for that one.

Also: Take a chill pill man. I've seen you get this worked up in every thread related to this topic. There's more to life than how the Switch will handle online multiplayer and voice chat.

Cloukyo

Banned
I never missed voice chat in splatoon anyway. The game is structured well enough that you don't need it.

Also I don't want to be talking to babbies when I play the game.

TunaLover

I suspect most of the people who did voice chat before will just keep using Discord or Skype regardless lol
Now if the app had somekind of interaction with your console that would be great, it should have all the basics from Discord plus Switch interaction.

marrec

Banned
I'm gunna be that guy but I'm so glad Nintendo is offloading social functions to smart devices. Console social apps are always 100% cumbersome garbage.

NSESN

The fact that people have tons of legitimate critical questions means they aren't communicating well enough.

Exactly. I am loving almost everything else about Switch, but while Nintendo refuses to explain how much the Online will cost and how it will work I can't buy this console.

That's what he does. He gets worked up and upset. Idk why he doesn't calm down and relax. Details have not been given no matter how much he wants to pretend they have been. I haven't seen it in use. Have you seen it in use?

I respectfully disagree. They haven't told us anything about the virtual console, little about the UI, and snipits in the press and social media isn't explaining anything about online.

Look at it from a non gamer perspective. From a shareholders perspective, I'm livid. Its dollars and cents. That's it. Their stock has been continually falling since they haven't be upfront about Switch details and conference. That preposterous Jan event was ridiculous to anyone living outside Japan. Show me details, Nintendo games, and third party support! They have failed on all fronts. Maybe I'm expecting too much. But I don't think so. I'm not asking for every third party title on Sony and Xbox to show up on Switch. I'm not naive. Get some titles though! But show me why there has been software droughts the last several years.

Very very disappointing.

Siege.exe

I'm gunna be that guy but I'm so glad Nintendo is offloading social functions to smart devices. Console social apps are always 100% cumbersome garbage.

I send/receive an invite, 2-3 seconds later I'm talking to my friends. What, exactly, is cumbersome about that?

Ridley327

Many people actually use the type of (usually wireless) headset your avatar is wearing or a stereo headset plugged into the controller.

I get that, but since we're talking about a phone here, the amount of available headset options drops off a bit, no? With Sony and MS opting to use proprietary wireless frequencies for allowed headsets, it seems like those are already a bit of a moot point to bring up. Wired is definitely a different story for the ones that can carry audio without having to be plugged in via USB for power, but I can't say I see a lot of people breaking out a lot of those headsets for their phone in the first place.

I guess there is that feeling that Nintendo is figuring that people are just going to put their phones on speaker for the most part, which...well, seems like par for the course for them.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The fact that it seems that Switch does not have OS level online integration is extremely frustrating. Everything again will be done on a game by game basis. Some will use app, others wont have online at all, some will have in game matchmaking. Nintendo again behind the curve instead of leading in services.

This does not bode well that Nintendo "gets it" when it comes to digital content management.

Not a big deal? Well I'm someone who would buy Switch and tons of games at launch if Nintendo had 360 like online functionality. That was 10 years ago.

What's the point if parental controls if it's all done in such a piecemeal manner? Just have proper, strong OS level universal parental controls and be done with it.

/rant

marrec

Banned
I send/receive an invite, 2-3 seconds later I'm talking to my friends. What, exactly, is cumbersome about that?

Navigating to the submenu necessary with a controller is always going to be worse than using a well implemented touch screen UI. *shrug*

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
These tweets from the Splatoon twitter are the first actual details I've seen about it since it was announced though. Everything else was just vague, broad statements.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/01/14/nintendo-talks-voice-chat-online-approach-for-switch

When asked why voice chat for Nintendo Switch will be tied to a mobile app , Reggie said, "we want to reinforce the capability to take your experience with you on the go.... The ability to do matchmaking, voice chat through your phone, it's a hell of a lot more convenient than having a gamer headset stuck into your backpack trying to do that. That's why we're doing it the way we are. We see the convenience, we see the ease of delivery. We think it's going to lead to a better experience."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nintendo-s...hat-be-handled-through-smartphone-app-1601951

Asked by GameSpot how smartphones would tie into Switch, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said: "The smartphone app that we're creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that's how you'll voice chat, that's how you'll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby.

"We also think it's a very elegant solution because if you've taken your switch on the go, you've put yourself in a hotspot, you're looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge."

nightside

That being said... Common now! Are you telling me once we add friends via FB, Twitter, etc where it is less anonymous than adding someone via friend code, we still can not chat if we are not on the same team? Let alone the same game? Hopefully this is a translation error

Well, the tweet is about team chat in a team based shooter, it should be a given that you would be having only your team mates in your channel. I mean, they are specifically referring to splatoon here.

The problem I have with all of that isn't the app, it's that you have to pay to use it. If all of this was free it would be a great solution imo, but it isn't. I don't even know if my phone will be supported.

Well, the app is technically free with the online subscription. Just like on Live you only can access party chat with a gold subscription (unless something changed in the last years and I'm not aware of it).

Geg

And if the only way to group up with friends is with the app?

So far the only indication that that's even a possibility was an initial rough translation, and multiple people myself included read the Japanese tweet and saw there was no implication of that.

I suppose it's still *possible* but the system the original Splatoon had to join with friends worked fine and I don't think they would completely do away with that to move the whole thing onto smartphones.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also: Take a chill pill man. I've seen you get this worked up in every thread related to this topic. There's more to life than how the Switch will handle online multiplayer and voice chat.

Thanks for your concern, but it's not required. I'm getting worked up for a lot of other things, as my post history can show.

Dumb. If they dont wanna do it at the OS level then just dont bother. If I gotta use my phone to set up voice chat why not just use 1 of 1 million other methods available?

The annoying thing is being able to have a phone app as an extra would be great since I normally use my ipad for voice chat regardless of the system.

Oregano

If pressing X a few times is harrowing navigation... I think that's on you, not the system.

Nah, I agree. Touch screen is better but that doesn't meant it should be the only way.

I think Smartphone App integration is an amazing option. Even being able to pump voice chat through a phone.

Top Bottom