• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I mean is that Big Boss is still there in MGS4, which would be useless, since his whole point according to himself and Eva is "Zeroooooo!". He's not going out looking to beat the AIs, just finding Zero so he can kill him and die. He could have just let Snake kill him back in MG2.

At that point, the only reason he kills Zero is an honor thing. Comatose Zero post-AI removal during the ending of MGS4 isn't a threat at all. BB doesn't even hate him. He hated the idea of the AI he created however.

BB killing Zero isn't because BB hates Zero. It's more like a friend showing mercy and ending the suffering of another. It's an honor killing. It's shooting the lame horse. It's putting a bullet into the mentor even though he didn't want to.

Erigu

Also, "Naomi Hunter" in MGS1 wasn't actually the real Naomi Hunter at all, she stole that identity from a dead woman.
Never mentioned again in the subsequent games, especially MGS4 ;-)
Well, Kojima probably wouldn't want players to think too hard about that one...
She apparently managed to steal the identity of a woman who:
1) had the proper job for her to enact their vengeance,
2) was also named "Naomi" (that's how Grey Fox calls her, so it looks like that really was her first name),
3) was named "Hunter", which makes for a nice pun on "Jaeger".
Impressive!

I see. But I don't agree that he's just a decoy, it doesn't sound like that when he speaks to him.

I think BB didn't want to keep going down the path he was on, so he "drew the venom out of himself" and put it in someone else, as if it was a part of himself that had a right to exist. Continuing to fight Cipher/Skullface would make him go evil. For all we know, medic was dead, we got zombies in this game anyway. So "Venom" would be like some sort of voodo doll, a big ritual for BB to cleanse himself, but at the same time someone BB wouldn't want to kill because in a way Venom is like the soldiers who feel they have to live on the battlefield, that BB has been fighting for. So he just lets him be, separately from himself. BB feels he wants to create a nation for soldiers, for the same reason he would have post-MGS3 after the end with The Boss. It makes sense.

Years later, he has Venom taken out by Solid Snake, partially out of pity for Venom. Maybe, Venom wanted to die by then. Zanzibar is the "true" Outer Heaven, while Outer Heaven is the fruit of Venom, of Big Boss' evil side, and eventually it had to be expunged. But in MG2, Cipher/AIs have BB taken out by Snake anyway, who thinks "Big Boss" is back, there is no escape, and again by now Big Boss probably expected that outcome too. It even mirrors The Boss' end, both regarding BB's own death, and his successor going on their own path.

I think it works. MGS4 doesn't work, but it already doesn't considering all the emphasis BB and Eva and co. put on all being about BB and Zero fighting each other and not being friends at all.

Yay, MGS4 is no longer canon!

I think that Big Boss entrusted Outer Heaven to his double and hence he was testing him and seeing how he will behave and whther that Outer Heaven will join the bigger vision of Zanzibar Land or not, but Venom Snake failed because he was entrusted with much more power that he was never meant to handle and turned like SkullFace. That is why Big Boss sent Solid Snake to get rid of him and to to test Solid Snake too as his real heir and not the demented double he created.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
At that point, the only reason he kills Zero is an honor thing. Comatose Zero post-AI removal during the ending of MGS4 isn't a threat at all. BB doesn't even hate him. He hated the idea of the AI he created however.

BB killing Zero isn't because BB hates Zero. It's more like a friend showing mercy and ending the suffering of another. It's an honor killing. It's shooting the lame horse. It's putting a bullet into the mentor even though he didn't want to.

Come on, first, he could have done that before, Zero was comatose years ago. Second, he is specifically rebuilt by Eva to go on a hunting mission to find Zero, who is hidden away because??? Why go through all that? It didn't make much sense.

I think that Big Boss entrusted Outer Heaven to his double and hence he was testing him and seeing how he will behave and whther that Outer Heaven will join the bigger vision of Zanzibar Land or not, but Venom Snake failed because he was entrusted with much more power that he was never meant to handle and turned like SkullFace. That is why Big Boss sent Solid Snake to get rid of him and to to test Solid Snake too as his real heir and not the demented double he created.

I think it's just "I'll let him live, he has a right to", but Venom ends up making what Gene wanted to make to some extent, a more twisted version of Zanibar (BB in MPO even says that what soldiers are looking is "outside your haven!" hence "Outer Heaven", but really ultimately Zanibar. I don't see it as manipulative, it goes in line with the Big Boss we've known since MGS3, heck you are rewarded for not killing people even in a game where BB is supposed to be turning into a demon. The real BB is conflicted, but tries to heal himself just as he tries to heal soldiers through the creation of Zanzibar, hence he wouldn't want to kill someone like Venom. But by MG1, Venom is probably even asking for it anyway.

Dominator

If you don't save him, you won't be able to use him as buddy, same goes for Quiet. So hurry, save him.[/QUOTE]Oh I extracted him immediately. Was not leaving him out there on his own lol

Come on, first, he could have done that before, Zero was comatose years ago. Second, he is specifically rebuilt by Eva to go on a hunting mission to find Zero, who is hidden away because??? Why go through all that? It didn't make much sense.

Zero went comatose in the late 80's, early 90's. BB could've killed him along time ago if he wanted to. It wasn't until BB was killed by snake that the Patriot AI captured his body, that the plan was concocted by Eva and Ocelot to stop the AI. Freeing Big Boss' mind was a caveat of that. And Big Boss most likely went to get answers from Zero, only to discover he was in a coma, and had been for longer than the AI had been operative.

It makes perfect sense.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
So can somebody point me towards the last target in side op mission 154? Got 34/ 35 3 times now.

Edit: and just like that i got all 35... figures.

Anyway awesome game nvm me!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This was supposed to be the missing chapter in Metal Gear.... But what it did was create room for another missing piece... This shit is crazy man.

The reaction to this game might be better than the game itself. I'm looking forward to the incoming discussion.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The reaction to this game might be better than the game itself. I'm looking forward to the incoming discussion.
It's a good game... It's a solid 9... But the dialogue is atrocious at times. Yikes! It's not worth trying to make sense of it... This game is to cater to people that have never bought a Metal Gear game, not to the long time fans... We got MGS4.

It's a good game... It's a solid 9... But the dialogue is atrocious at times. Yikes! It's not worth trying to make sense of it... This game is to cater to people that have never bought a Metal Gear game, not to the long time fans... We got MGS4.

Story is good, dialogues and acting are cheesy in many locations. Cutscenes don't have that much impact like in the previous games anymore sadly. Surely not the best epilogue for the series and Kojima but still it is very satisfying and any fan shouldn't be disappointed. Like I said before:

Am I disappointed? Ofc no!

Did I expect more? Ofc yes.

Really need a remake of those old games. I wanna know what exactly Zanzibar Land is and how it differs from Outer Heaven. Does Venom go rogue or is he a willing decoy?(thus asking if Solid being sent in was a hit or part of the plan all along) Was Big Boss truly trying to create perpetual war, or was that just what people thought he wanted because of Venom's Outer Heaven?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
ok guys ive been stuck on this mission for legit 10 hours...

mission 16

no matter what i try
1* i get caught anyway
2* the truck blows up after they run and smash the truck

i really have no idea wtf i need to do

If you're still stuck, this might help. When the skulls come out of the truck, they infect everyone that's still around. This means both the LMV and Tank are available for you to jump in. I took out 3/4 of them in the tank, and the fourth pulled me out of it. I used a grenade launcher to take him out and easily drove the truck out of the hot zone.

bluethree

This was supposed to be the missing chapter in Metal Gear.... But what it did was create room for another missing piece... This shit is crazy man.

Find out the truth in MGSVI - The Missing Link Between Venom and Outer Heaven!

Which won't explain anything at all and string you along with the same supposed premise for 2-3 more games.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Interesting to hear someone else say that. I've been thinking for awhile this sounded like a Metal Gear made for people who don't really like Metal Gear.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Find out the truth in MGSVI - The Missing Link Between Venom and Outer Heaven!

Which won't explain anything at all and string you along with the same supposed premise for 2-3 more games.
You forgot to add "this time, it's my last Metal Gear"

KOMANI

KOMANI
Interesting to hear someone else say that. I've been thinking for awhile this sounded like a Metal Gear made for people who don't really like Metal Gear.
Definitely... Open World, Change of number title to Roman numeral, famous actor voicing protagonist, limited cut scenes, multi platform... It's a Metal Gear that tries to appeal to the Grand Theft Auto crowd. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's just weird it came at a time when this was Kojima's "last" MG.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
jop4vBL.jpg

750mb patch on xb1?

TwoDurans

I'm perfectly fine with the way this game sounds, but I will miss linear, cinematic MGS.

I agree. I like the open world nature, and it feels like I'm actually doing stuff as a Diamond Dog to disrupt Cypher. But I've got entire 3 hour play sessions without advancing the plot, and while that's the mark of a great open world game, that's not very Metal Gear.

Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy.

It's too big a patch to just enable online. There's something else in it..

Day one patches that just fix a few bugs are routinely as big as this because they have to overwrite parts of the game or whatever. People are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

I feel like the OP should just be a massive dump of all the juicy plot details.

Like, who are we actually playing is. Is it the real Big Boss. What's up.

TwoDurans

Looking at the PS4 trophy list, I'm amazed that only 54.4% of all people who have played TPP have Fulton'd an enemy. People are playing this game wrong...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What if Kojima didn't make this game? What if someone else did and we just don't know who? Maybe Joakim Mogren did, Kojima's phantom, maybe Kojima is Ishmael, maybe this is why Konami isn't calling it a Hideo Kojima game, due to legal issues. Joakim is the real Kojima now.

Big Boss is watching? Maybe Kojima was watching.

There are too many coincidences with Kojima saying the game was made by another studio, Ishmael/Moby Dick, Big Boss not being really Big Boss. Come on, he is playing us like a fiddle, it was planned all along!

"Did you like it?"

BaODHVl.jpg

shocky2002

Neo Member

I'm damn certain Kojima had plans for a complete MG1/2 remake when he came up with this twist all the way back in 2011/12. Obviously, he had no idea Konami would fuck him over in a couple of years. There's no way Kojima was going to make THIS the ending of the Metal Gear saga, otherwise he would've scrapped the whole body double shit.

Now, we might get that MG1/2 remake immediately after this-- without bringing Sutherland back, without bringing Hayter back, but pretty much recasting the whole roster with cheap VA's. It'll have 9 months production time.

I feel like the OP should just be a massive dump of all the juicy plot details.

Like, who are we actually playing is. Is it the real Big Boss. What's up.

Lol, this thread is riddled with a giant spoiler post by thabotUK... if you're to lazy to search through it, you shouldn't expect others to post the spoilers for ya.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm damn certain Kojima had plans for a complete MG1/2 remake when he came up with this twist all the way back in 2011/12. Obviously, he had no idea Konami would fuck him over in a couple of years. There's no way Kojima was going to make THIS the ending of the Metal Gear saga, otherwise he would've scrapped the whole body double shit.

Now, we might get that MG1/2 remake immediately after this-- without bringing Sutherland back, without bringing Hayter back, but pretty much recasting the whole roster with cheap VA's.

I don't know about this. If Kojima planned to create remakes of MG1 and MG2, then why he scrap the body double thing since that kind of explains the whole double Big Boss thing during MG1 / 2? If no one cared about those games there would be even less of a reason for two BBs.

People disappointed with the twist, would you have preferred a game about The Boss and the Cobra unit in WW2, which was what was originally Kojima's idea before they did Rising?

AAMARMO

Banned
What if Kojima didn't make this game? What if someone else did and we just don't know who? Maybe Joakim Mogren did, Kojima's phantom, maybe Kojima is Ishmael, maybe this is why Konami isn't calling it a Hideo Kojima game, due to legal issues. Joakim is the real Kojima now.

Big Boss is watching? Maybe Kojima was watching.

"Did you like it?"

we all know Geoff Keighley made the game :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom