• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify |OT| All the music, all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got the 'your music of 2016' pop up on my phone, clicked on the button, didn't get anything. Checked the moods, it's not even on there... Not on desktop either. Probably not activated in my country yet.

Where the fuck is my "Spotify Year In Music"???????
Fuck you Spotify, the same shit with their best features, the year in music was a very good idea, I shared my pics and the detailed stats on Facebook and Gaf 10/10 but this year we have a fucking moronic, easily missable email with little info. da fuck?
This is Spotify in the nutshell, nerfing the best features is what their do the best
I pay 9€ a mouth and I have 0 notification, my new release is alway full of the same shit ....the lyrics?
It's disgusting.
Fuck you Spotify
I feel you bro, I'm real close to switching to Apple Music this is looking like the final straw. Wish there was a way to port saved music.

Hey a Spotify thread. Complaint- why does it play the same 20 songs when I have over a hundred in my play list? Is there no way it can know not to play that song it just played 20 minutes ago?

I've seen this complaint many, many times, and I have never had this problem. My main playlist of all my favorite songs has ~2,000 songs in it, and it feels like a random shuffle every time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can I ask a dumb question - how does it know what music I like? There isn't a 'like' button on tracks, so does it just go based on whether I skip it or not?

There are times when I'm listening to eg my daily mix and a song comes on that I like, but I'm not in the mood right now, but I'm hesitant to skip it in case it messes up whatever alchemy they use for recommendations.

can I ask a dumb question - how does it know what music I like? There isn't a 'like' button on tracks, so does it just go based on whether I skip it or not?

There are times when I'm listening to eg my daily mix and a song comes on that I like, but I'm not in the mood right now, but I'm hesitant to skip it in case it messes up whatever alchemy they use for recommendations.

just listen and dont stress about it honestly. i remember reading discover weekly is supposedly smart enough that if you listen to a bunch of rap and then your kids get in the care and its 2 hours of the wheels on the bus go round and round, discovery weekly will know its not "you".

is that true? idk. but if they are doing things like that in the background theres enough going on that stressing about it isnt worth it

walouija

Neo Member

I never really use the like or skip feature at all and my daily mixes are usually pretty great.
It seems like it just observes what music you're listening to regardless if you're just selecting an album or using the 'radio' feature and tailors it around that.

I've been listening to dumb hip-hop for like two months straight and I still get decent daily mixes of weird hardcore/metal stuff.

Basically, don't worry about it, just listen to what you want to listen to.

Btw wanted to remind you guys, if you have any questions or need any support, just PM me.

I can't access GAF at work, but I'll do my best.

Any updates on when/if lyrics will be added again?

I know as much about these things as you guys.

As far as I know, it was all because the collaboration with MusixMatch ended.

Based on the feedback we're getting, we know that it's a very requested feature and I doubt we would be sitting here without the feature if there was a good way to reimplement them.

Melon Husk

Lyrics was really convenient to have.

Wow, the UI is really black now. I think it's a bit cleaner. How frickin hard is it to give a theme or two to choose from? This current grey on dark grey theme has irritatingly low contrast. is A double dosage of ctrl+- also shrinks the controls, which is not ideal.

Anyway, I think I'm ready to come back from GPM once my sub ends.

Ashhong

Finally using Spotify now that I got in on a Family Plan, is there no way to download a single song without having to add it to a playlist? On PC or on iOS?

Also, any way to import Apple Music playlists over? Probably not..

Finally using Spotify now that I got in on a Family Plan, is there no way to download a single song without having to add it to a playlist? On PC or on iOS?

Also, any way to import Apple Music playlists over? Probably not..

Song Shift works importing those playlists over.

You can save a song and then download all or add to a playlist and download from there. Unfortunate.

Ashhong

Thanks for the info, trying out STAMP right now.

Wish there was a way to blend Apple Music and Spotify together, they both have redeeming qualities. If only Apple had better sharing system.

Dany

Banned
I havn't been getting iOS notifications for artists I follow? is there somewhere in the app I can check for it?

ISOM

One listen is probably not going to change the algorithms of what is recommended to you. It is probably going by how much you play the song and the genres that you frequent the most, among others.

Have to say that my newest found gem is the Audiotree playlists on Spotify.

I know it's probably on every streaming service, but there are so many fantastic live tracks from lesser known bands.

Seeing as my Discover Weekly is going through a strange phase (too much listening to ambient tracks whilst reading!), this has become a great way for me to discover new bands.

Only thing I'd want next is the actual videos to be up there too.

____

Btw wanted to remind you guys, if you have any questions or need any support, just PM me.

I can't access GAF at work, but I'll do my best.

Hi!

Just a quick question -- maybe it's been covered so apologies if it has

1) I've noticed that my Spotify will now jump directly into a "radio station" of the artist I'm listening to after their album has played to completion. Is there any way to turn this off permanently?

2) Sometimes it will also randomly change my listen mode to "Shuffle". I never ever ever ever turn on shuffle by myself, because it's not something I enjoy, but it's happening more and more recently. Are these bugs?

Thanks!

Hi!

Just a quick question -- maybe it's been covered so apologies if it has

1) I've noticed that my Spotify will now jump directly into a "radio station" of the artist I'm listening to after their album has played to completion. Is there any way to turn this off permanently?

2) Sometimes it will also randomly change my listen mode to "Shuffle". I never ever ever ever turn on shuffle by myself, because it's not something I enjoy, but it's happening more and more recently. Are these bugs?

Thanks!

Both sounds like they're because of autoplay.

Regarding the shuffle, just reinstall and do a soft reset (if you're using iPhone).

Have to say that my newest found gem is the Audiotree playlists on Spotify.

I know it's probably on every streaming service, but there are so many fantastic live tracks from lesser known bands.

Seeing as my Discover Weekly is going through a strange phase (too much listening to ambient tracks whilst reading!), this has become a great way for me to discover new bands.

Only thing I'd want next is the actual videos to be up there too.
Julien Baker's is particularly great.

Julien Baker's it particularly great.

Will check this out - pretty sure I streamed her album sometime recently and loved it.

Really liked listening to And The Kids on there today too.

Any rumours of a next big update? I feel like we haven't got new features for a while :(

Edit: I'd love something showcasing what friends are listening to. It's on the desktop/web but it'd be sweet on the apps too.

RPS37

So Spotify has become aware that I'm crushing on a girl and now my Doscover Weekly playlists are reflecting that fact.

Dazzler

any way to change your music feed to a different country?

I'm living in Canada but I'm from Ireland. Each week the new releases are very Canadian-centric with a lot of Francophone stuff. I've no interest in it, and would rather see music from UK/Ireland

Am I shit out of luck?

any way to change your music feed to a different country?

I'm living in Canada but I'm from Ireland. Each week the new releases are very Canadian-centric with a lot of Francophone stuff. I've no interest in it, and would rather see music from UK/Ireland

Am I shit out of luck?

Ireland Top 50 and Ireland Viral Top 50 are both available to all users. Maybe you could start there and see if they add new releases that fit your taste.

Paganmoon

so, I just noticed, playing The Force Awakens soundtrack changes the song "progressbar" to a lightsaber in the desktop app...

XCTt6QJ.jpg

Wonder how long that's been and I haven't noticed.

Jzero

Did Spotify seriously just remove the messaging feature? I guess it's easier to scrap something shitty than actually fixing it. I had just sent a girl a song 😩

Did Spotify seriously just remove the messaging feature? I guess it's easier to scrap something shitty than actually fixing it. I had just sent a girl a song 😩

Usually when something gets axed, it means barely anyone uses it. I've been using Spotify since it started and I didn't know it had a messaging feature.

I used it to recommend music to my siblings and friends, and to discuss new releases. It was really convenient and also pretty well integrated with the PC client.

Ullus

Am I crazy or did they remove the function to shuffle folders in the Android app? Still works on iPad last I checked.

yagal

I have Ed Sheeran's new album but not the Shins' one in the New albums release section.
WHY???

"New albums and singles" is useless

ok so i've had spotify since 2010, and have used the star/now saved thing to build my library. i know sometimes songs leave spotify, and usually they are greyed out, but, i did some digging into my songs, and the oldest saved songs i have are from 2014; i listened to some alkaline trio and noticed some most def marked songs were no longer marked so that sparked my interest to look. is there a limit to the saved songs, is it just deleting the bottom song anytime i add one or something? i def saved thousands of songs in the 3 years prior. or was there just a wipe back in 2014 or something? or is it perhaps just because albums are being deleted and being reuploaded (but in that case the old versions would just be gray...). i know there's a 10,000 song limit now that i'm looking into it, i guess i have 9,200 songs saved, i never knew i had it filled. but that doesn't make sense, is it sporatically deleting 1,000 when you fill it up or something?

....would i have received a popup noticing me that i'm full or something? i've never had any notification or been denied saving a 'new' song to my library. (ok does another good service allow this to be unlimited that i can switch to? i need to be able to scrobble tracks to last.fm on my iphone tho (i have 341,000 scrobbles bc i've used it ever since i've known about it). so i'm guessing the answer is prob no?)

one last question; since i need to clean up 'your songs', any easy way to find greyed out songs and re add the new ones? like, my old anamanaguchis are greyed but the albums are up. do i really just have to weed through this by hand, search the new album, check the song on the new 'upload' and delete the old one....any githubs or anything to make that easier? i cant even find a way to sort for greyed out songs, it looks like i have to scroll through the entire 9,000+ songs to even find them, hundreds of these are grey but the albums are back up for me to add. shit.

edit: i almost don't think these dates are accurate. looking back in old playlists, i have some neil young added to a guitar playlist in 2011. accurate. it's still starred in my library. says it got added to my library in 2014. very unlikely i readded it then, or have even listened to it in just as long. but, the dates in 'your music' aren't like, all at once, they're scattered so it's not like there was just a big repurging of them all with one date. i can't make sense of it.

sorry for all the Q's.

ok so things get weirder. i search a classic band, the offspring. i look at their page on spotify. dozens of songs with + next to them, not a check. i add them. search your songs. same song, same album, same everything, shows up 2 times. so uhhhh, you can save songs to 'your music' more than once, cluttering up the 10k songs? for instance, 'mota' , by the offspring, is only in the spotify database once. somehow i have 3 in 'your songs', they all play the same track off the same album which is only on spotify once. HUH? am i unwittingly ruining my 10k track limit by adding songs multiple times? Why tf is that even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom