• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
After rewatching Horizon in preparation for season 2, I realized what I probably loved most about the show (outside of the outlandish, over the top bullshit happening constantly in the second half): The relationship between Tori and Kimi is quite unique. No matter what one of them does or tries to do, the other never questions or doubts it. Everyone is puzzled when Kimi decides to fight Futayo - Tori isn't. During the fight, everyone's worried, including Asama - Tori isn't. He's just standing there, smiling. Later, when Tori signs his contract, it's the other way around: Even Asama and Nate obviously think he's insane, but Kimi is just stitting there, smiling. I don't really know why, but I found that little detail incredibly awesome and epic.

1stStrike

Banned
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

<wall of text>

Good God, I think I've whiteknighted Saber. This entire endeavor was a terrible mistake!

Good thoughts, overall. I think many others will feel similar to you if they undergo the same journey. I've kind of whiteknighted Saber too, though, as she's my favorite. =\

Those pics look like they belong in a hentai, though. I didn't realize how bad that was when I watched it at the time, haha.

1stStrike

Banned
ku1ammio.jpg

Wat.

Why does his older sister, who's a teacher, look like a loli - and sneak into his bed? Scary.

First episode was so-so. They're trying to make the student council thing all srz bizness, while at the same time adding in off the wall humor, and it doesn't mesh together all that well.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
F/SN, UBW, & F/Z Saber stuff

Between the two adapations of F/SN routes, I think I've come to feel differently about Saber's portrayal in F/Z. Initially I thought she came across as a bland sort of character but in hindsight, she's this stoic figure clinging to her ideals even as they come under assault. Her role as king is brought into question by two very qualified people who each have had to bear the burden of the crown themselves and her clash of ideals with Kiritsugu was interesting in itself as, not only did it pose questions about Kiritsugu, but started to fill in the blank slate Saber was portrayed as.

As I look back, what I initially assumed was simply maintaining a character to carry over into later work was actually a graceful and respectful way of handling her. Even though Rider may have referred to her as a little girl, now it doesn't feel quite as derogatory but simply him speaking truthfully despite how she presented herself to others which is why it hit home as it did. Her code of conduct was under question too as she dealt with Lancer honorably and eventually Lancelot where the pedestal she'd placed herself upon was finally knocked out from beneath her as her refusal to judge him for his sins drove him to madness.

The quality of kingship as discussed by Rider, Gilgamesh, and Saber was one of my favorite parts of F/Z and that's what makes F/SN so disappointing in regards to her. Maybe it's addressed more fully in the VN or at least it's third route but it's minor in the F/SN tv adaptation and mostly used to draw parallels of her self-sacrifice and Shirou's propensity to do the same. Instead I was left with a strong character that's mostly demeaned in her portrayal. In the TV adaptation, she's relegated to housewife status as Shirou throws himself in the path of danger to save her the trouble. It's ridiculous due to how utterly capable she is but due to her sense of duty, she accepts his wishes for the most part and stays home. It wasn't nearly as bad in UBW until Caster stole her from Shirou and she was reduced to a oversexualized damsel in distress much like Sakura was in the TV show. I could handle the capture fine for either, I think, were it not for the ridiculous costume changes that accompanied it. I guess in the end I'm actually disgusted at the lengths taken to demean her due to her gender rather than her actual character and that's not likely to be something I get over without a rendition of F/SN that treats her better.

Good God, I think I've whiteknighted Saber. This entire endeavor was a terrible mistake!

I think you're spot-on with this, actually. I feel the same way. The only difference is that I had already gone through the entire F/SN saga before watching F/Z... Which means I was already whiteknighting Saber.

jbug617

Banned
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

I just finished watching FSN and then FSN UBW. I really like the movie in terms of the fights and the politics and prefer it to the show. The movie is super condensed and I wish they spent more time on certain things but overall I like it.

I agree with you that you really need to know the story before you can watch this.

Archer, Lancer and Shirou were the 3 standouts to me. Shirou especially since he became a bad ass at the end and didn't need someone saving him.

Ilya death scene was crazy, how much blood does she have in that little body.

Andrew J.

Saint Seiya Omega 13

I would bet anything that
Eden will need to turn face before the heroes can destroy the lightning core so that they can have someone of the appropriate element assist Aria in destroying it.

Grzi

Welp, time for some more Kaiji, episode 11, here I come.

Yeah, I watched 10 episodes today, wassup?

I would've watched even more but I had to socialize for a large part of the day nooooooooooo

Novid

Banned
After rewatching Horizon in preparation for season 2, I realized what I probably loved most about the show (outside of the outlandish, over the top bullshit happening constantly in the second half): The relationship between Tori and Kimi is quite unique. No matter what one of them does or tries to do, the other never questions or doubts it. Everyone is puzzled when Kimi decides to fight Futayo - Tori isn't. During the fight, everyone's worried, including Asama - Tori isn't. He's just standing there, smiling. Later, when Tori signs his contract, it's the other way around: Even Asama and Nate obviously think he's insane, but Kimi is just stitting there, smiling. I don't really know why, but I found that little detail incredibly awesome and epic.

Horizon got hated on. Thought it was gonna fit all the new school tropes but it was old school son of a bitch wackiness and hotblooded alpha male trolling. sold like a motherfucker. loved the hate. animation needed work though.

1stStrike

Banned
Already much better than the original anime. There were some actual funny moments and, well, his sister isn't trying to sleep with him anymore, so definitely an improvement there!

Also, the story makes more sense here too. First episode was fun.

duckroll

Narag is a hero. He is a champion. He has done what most of us dream of while drunk, but dismiss in horror when sober. He is the bone of his poor judgement. Poor bastard. :)

bigbosssalute.jpg

Andrew J.

Gotta start working on my backlog now that the spring shows are ending.

Ano Natsu 01

Heard there was a show about a boob alien, decided to check it out.

Kaito's character design is pretty different from the usual; messy grey-black hair instead of short and brown.

Ichika's clumsy attempts at conforming to Earth culture are so endearing!

Kanna is the most bog-standard annoying tsundere friend character imaginable. I hope she gets NTR'ed hard by the end.

Remon is awesome, in a scary way.

Hopefully now that I've seen an episode I'll stop conflating this show with Ano Hana, although I might still conflate Ano Hana with Hanasaku Iroha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom