• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Having a Precure OT would be nice for people who don't want to post here. Look at the K-ON thread--that's a thriving, sustained community of its own.

It's not like individual posts about Precure would be banned here. But having a thread of its own to acknowledge its growing fanbase isn't a bad idea.

Jex

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It wasn't the fact that she was kissing the hedgehog, no that was the last straw. What bothered people was the entire relationship between her and Sonic, and that she kissed him is what sent the fan base into a spiraling mess of rage and hatred.
I still don't see the problem.

Theonik

Having a Precure OT would be nice for people who don't want to post here. Look at the K-ON thread--that's a thriving, sustained community of its own.

It's not like individual posts about Precure would be banned here. But having a thread of its own to acknowledge its growing fanbase isn't a bad idea.
I certainly agree with that. It is time!

I still don't see the problem.
Some people don't understand true love.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Re: The Precure crap: Don't give yourself so much credit, Mad Pierrot. We were talking about Smile way before you started marathoning Max Heart.

Gargantia 11

I enjoyed this show a lot more when it was just fish out of water slice of life :(

I see what you mean, though I still like it. I was kind of expecting from the beginning that it would end up going where it has. Predictable, yes, but hopefully even then the execution will be good.

Shergal

My post was the one that started the whole tangent so I feel like I have to step up, lol.
To clarify, Precure posts here don't bother me at all. I wasn't talking shit about it or complaining about its traffic in the thread, it was really just an innocent response to cnet.
I don't think I've seen anyone actually complain about Precure posts, there's no reason to!

Articalys

It's over, just deal with it. It's monumentally stupid to start the Summer thread when a ton of Spring shows still have two episodes left, but since when has this community made wise decisions?

I'm sure this thread will get locked once one of the mods is paying attention anyway.
Pleasantly surprised to see I was wrong about this. Sanity prevails for once.

My post was the one that started the whole tangent so I feel like I have to step up, lol.
To clarify, Precure posts here don't bother me at all. I wasn't talking shit about it or complaining about its traffic in the thread, it was really just an innocent response to cnet.
I don't think I've seen anyone actually complain about Precure posts, there's no reason to!

I think I've seen it twice, but it wasn't as dramatic as the splinter topic. But it was like a blip on a radar and it was back to normal otherwise.

Kurita

zxHhlAa.png

Jex

Gargantia 11

I enjoyed this show a lot more when it was just fish out of water slice of life :(

I haven't quite hit firehawk12's level of disappointment with the series which would end with me throwing my hands in the air and saying "fuck this" but I am genuinely disappointed that it ended up going down this very particular route. However, I still like the show as a whole. My position is basically that, I didn't want the show to end up like this but at least they've done it pretty well.

BluWacky

Re: The Precure crap: Don't give yourself so much credit, Mad Pierrot. We were talking about Smile way before you started marathoning Max Heart.

And this expresses what fertygo was saying without being a dick about it, really (and I give fertygo a pass because of ESL).

As Arti's polls always revealed, lots of people post in and read the thread for different reasons. Everyone gets something different out of following this thread. No-one cares about random films I've watched, and I don't care about smut gifs, and yet the two types of post coexist relatively happily in here.

If there's call for a Precure community, then someone can start it any time they like. In the meantime, it's not as if the discussion is particularly off topic or totally drowning out the thread. And MadP, it's not as if other people are going to stop posting about it if you do, so why not continue to join in the discussion? It's not like anyone holds you personally responsible if other people happen to be interested in what you have to say.

I keep up with the thread every day. Most of what's posted I have nothing to contribute to, and sometimes I find it offensive, or offputting, or just not interesting. But as long as it's within the forums rules... Who gives a toss what someone else thinks? Post away!

Exactly, more fun for everyone!

Cross-quoting from the other OT.

CorvoSol said:
Peaceiscloser chose Nia over Yoko, guys.

I don't think I can be friends with him anymore.

Also wall of shame moves by too fast and I can't read anything other than Cajunator on it.

Free agency, baybay

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm sorry, everyone. I'm really unstable today and so I think that my inhibitions against saying really stupid shit are weaker than normal. It's horribly wrong of me to act like I have any say in whether or not people can freely discuss what they enjoy; I think I'm selfishly throwing something that I like under the bus because I have a perpetual fear of being singularly associated with it by others to the exclusion of everything else when it's just something that I like, no more and no less than any other thing that I like. I know that I'm not personally responsible for the increase in discussion, but I still feel an inordinate amount of guilt over it, and fertygo is right that it's an egotistical attitude.

I'm just going to go spend the next couple of days playing Animal Crossing and hopefully I'll feel better by then.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mad Pierrot said:
It's not even good, though. I have sympathy for people who are just completely sick of seeing it at this point. Having an enormous excess of discussion over a franchise that doesn't embody any of the thread's ideals doesn't really benefit anyone.
You know what is good, though? You know what show you can feel good about other people jumping on the bandwagon for?

Doremi.

What's the point in ascribing such power to yourself if you're not going to use it?

Jex

I'm sorry, everyone. I'm really unstable today and so I think that my inhibitions against saying really stupid shit are weaker than normal. It's horribly wrong of me to act like I have any say in whether or not people can freely discuss what they enjoy; I think I'm selfishly throwing something that I like under the bus because I have a perpetual fear of being singularly associated with it by others to the exclusion of everything else. I know that I'm not personally responsible for the increase in discussion, but I still feel an inordinate amount of guilt over it, and fertygo is right that it's an egotistical attitude.

I'm just going to go spend the next couple of days playing Animal Crossing and hopefully I'll feel better by then.
I hope you feel better later.

Tenumi

Banned
I just like watching Ponies Precure. If people didn't want others to post about it, I wouldn't. If there was a Precure OT, I'd post there.

Besides, where and who else will defend DokiDoki and Mana until the end of days?

So how does one know if a show is ending at 13 episodes or going to extend into a 26 or longer run?

Also what should I be interested in for Summer?

Blood Lad, Silverspoon, Highschool of the Dead DxD S2 (need to watch S1 first), and Not Popular all jump out at me as series I plan to read/watch mostly cause I've heard positive things from people in mangaf and have been looking for an excuse to jump start reading them.

Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyōbi, Danganronpa, Kara no Kyōkai, Senyu S2, and Gatchaman Crowds all seem interesting but I either have no idea what they're about and searching either leads me to spoils or uninformative wiki pages. Never seen a Gatchaman before and I'm not sure if this is a good starting spot or not.

Also will probably hate watch/read Rage Town just to see what the fuss is about.

Edit: Highschool of the reading comprehension is clearly the series I need to watch

duckroll

Gargantia ended up being pretty much exactly what I expected it to be from the first 2 episodes. So I can't say I'm disappointed at all, since it wasn't a "bad" expectation either. I wanted it to go in that direction, and it did. Win for me I guess. Maybe people should have listened to what I was saying since it started! :p

From the first episode it seems rather obvious to me that his Commander who conveniently "sacrificed" himself right before Ledo himself got thrown into the wormhole would still be alive. No one introduces a character like that without having a plan for using him again later. The best outcome would be to have him spend time somewhere else on Earth and turn into some Heart of Darkness style dictator to contrast Ledo's experience of learning to live among peaceful folk.

I also expected there to be some stupid "gotcha" twist which makes the series suddenly seem weird and dark, only for the focus to turn away from it as the show moves towards the climax which would be some sort of large scale naval action setpiece where Ledo has to choose between his past as a soldier and his present as a friend of the people on the Gargantia.

Finally, I was always confident that the tone of the series would very much be about life on the ship fleets, and Ledo coming to terms with society on Earth. It would never return to stuff about the space battle at the start, nor will there be any sort of conclusion or resolution for that larger conflict. It simply no longer matters.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So how does one know if a show is ending at 13 episodes or going to extend into a 26 or longer run?

Also what should I be interested in for Summer?

Blood Lad, Silverspoon, Highschool of the Dead S2 (need to watch S1 first), and Not Popular all jump out at me as series I plan to read/watch mostly cause I've heard positive things from people in mangaf and have been looking for an excuse to jump start reading them.

Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyōbi, Danganronpa, Kara no Kyōkai, Senyu S2, and Gatchaman Crowds all seem interesting but I either have no idea what they're about and searching either leads me to spoils or uninformative wiki pages. Never seen a Gatchaman before and I'm not sure if this is a good starting spot or not.

Also will probably hate watch/read Rage Town just to see what the fuss is about.

Do you mean Highschool DxD S2? 'Cause I haven't seen anything about a Highschool of the Dead S2.

I'm sorry, everyone. I'm really unstable today and so I think that my inhibitions against saying really stupid shit are weaker than normal. It's horribly wrong of me to act like I have any say in whether or not people can freely discuss what they enjoy; I think I'm selfishly throwing something that I like under the bus because I have a perpetual fear of being singularly associated with it by others to the exclusion of everything else when it's just something that I like, no more and no less than any other thing that I like. I know that I'm not personally responsible for the increase in discussion, but I still feel an inordinate amount of guilt over it, and fertygo is right that it's an egotistical attitude.

First of all, I own the bus, please don't throw yourself under it. That's my call and you're not staying under there.

Now then, I don't see why you should blame yourself for exposing other people to something you like, and on top of that, gained more fans of something you liked. It's like a broadening horizons kinda thing. Sharing that with people is more fun than watching it by yourself am I correct? And part of this thread from my 2 OT record so far is showing others shows from the past for them to watch
for the right/wrong reasons
. What you did was basically the norm.

My AC town will be open at request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom