• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hey, there!
This is my first time posting on this side, and I'm really excited to watch some new anime!

Today, I watched Devil Survivor 2, Episode 1.
It's a really fantastic representation of the game in terms of art style, key details, and character traits. I had a great time watching it, and it's definitely going to be one that I'll be paying attention to.

The only thing that stuck out to me was the "loading" or regenerating bar on the mobile after a demon dies. What's up with that? Plot elements, perhaps? Still, just a small change.

Welcome!

7Th

I dunno, I think it makes sense for
someone who thinks he's about to be sent to hell
to make a speech like that. My issue was with what happened after that.

But the actual speech had nothing to do with being sent to hell; the animation and voice acting was emotional, but the contents of the speech felt preachy and not particularly authentic.

duckroll

Iron Man - Rise of Technovore

yHei7xw.jpg

Wow. This sure was something. Anyone familiar with Hiroshi Hamazaki's prior work will find elements of all his previous stuff here, probably in a bad way. There are the fast cuts and close ups which made stuff in Shigurui really hard to make out. There is the totally self indulgent pretentiousness of Texhnolyze's narrative and the strange and unsuited desire for character monologues which have no real meaning. And then there's the over-saturated and glaring art finishing which characterizes Steins;Gate, where everything looks a little too bright and pale so you can't make out nice details even if they are drawn.

If that sounds bad, it's probably still not possible to imagine the actual scope of how WTF the movie is. As a big Marvel fan, it was great seeing all the cameos and various elements in the universe used throughout the movie, but at the same time it was a huge confusing mess with really spotty storytelling tied together by a pseudo-philosophical garbage villain motive which only bad Japanese writers seem to be able to come up with.

Was there good animation? Yeah, lots of it littered throughout the movie here and there, and a pretty impressive action finale too. But even then everything felt like a sum of individual parts instead of one cohesive whole. There isn't a very strong vision for how the movie should look and feel, so everything ends up being rather disjointed. Like someone stitched a bunch of scenes together. I felt the layouts and a lot of the backgrounds were pretty bad too.

Hard to recommend this to anyone other than the most hardcore Marvel fans who have tried out every single one of the Marvel anime shows. If you're that insane, that this should be right up your alley! Fuck yeah!

Wow. This sure was something. Anyone familiar with Hiroshi Hamazaki's prior work will find elements of all his previous stuff here, probably in a bad way. There are the fast cuts and close ups which made stuff in Shigurui really hard to make out. There is the totally self indulgent pretentiousness of Texhnolyze's narrative and the strange and unsuited desire for character monologues which have no real meaning. And then there's the over-saturated and glaring art finishing which characterizes Steins;Gate, where everything looks a little too bright and pale so you can't make out nice details even if they are drawn.

If that sounds bad, it's probably still not possible to imagine the actual scope of how WTF the movie is. As a big Marvel fan, it was great seeing all the cameos and various elements in the universe used throughout the movie, but at the same time it was a huge confusing mess with really spotty storytelling tied together by a pseudo-philosophical garbage villain motive which only bad Japanese writers seem to be able to come up with.

Was there good animation? Yeah, lots of it littered throughout the movie here and there, and a pretty impressive action finale too. But even then everything felt like a sum of individual parts instead of one cohesive whole. There isn't a very strong vision for how the movie should look and feel, so everything ends up being rather disjointed. Like someone stitched a bunch of scenes together. I felt the layouts and a lot of the backgrounds were pretty bad too.

Hard to recommend this to anyone other than the most hardcore Marvel fans who have tried out every single one of the Marvel anime shows. If you're that insane, that this should be right up your alley! Fuck yeah!

Thanks for this post, I was wondering how this was.
So, it's pretty bad, even for an Iron Man fan?

duckroll

Thanks for this post, I was wondering how this was.
So, it's pretty bad, even for an Iron Man fan?

Did you like the Iron Man anime series? This movie has better animation, but I think the series had a way better story. Lol. Can't believe they fucked up a Technovore story this bad. How hard can it be?!

Did you like the Iron Man anime series? This movie has better animation, but I think the series had a way better story. Lol. Can't believe they fucked up a Technovore story this bad. How hard can it be?!

I actually never watched the anime.
I'm still kind of getting into the format.
And it shouldn't be hard at all. lol

Quasar

Chihayafuru S2 13

Man, this episode as fucking garbage. Not only was the pacing utter shit but it also completely failed to make the back and forth between Megumu and Chihaya in any way interesting. It also made me realise just how much better this show would be if it focused on characters like Megumu instead of Chihaya and her love triangle of spineless wimps that make Onodera from fucking Nisekoi look assertive. The Gonzo episode was better than this for fucks sake.

No dissing Arata, he's got his hands full with the Queen.

I liked this episode myself, though was surprised the match will go into a third episode. I liked being inside the heads of the players this much.

Jintor

Christ the faces look horrific in movement. Like a painting of a face placed over a 3d model that rotates slightly as the camera angle changes

Rabu Raibu 1

I'm not sure why I didn't watch this while it was airing, it seems like wholesome entertainment! Those songs were pretty decent and catchy, though the CG during the performances will take some getting used to.

Novid

Banned
This is pretty entertaining!

go back in history and see how rotoscoping was done. they needed a much bigger team and they just didn't have it. I can understand why they did it - but you need a much longer time and bigger budget for this.

cajunator

Banned
The character designs were serviceable enough and I think it's a good thing they decided to omit the FILTERS EVERYWHERE look of the LN but the show was most definitely not a looker.

I disagree, particularly about the character designs.
I found them to be pretty distinctive.
the show was generally very pleasing to look at.

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 S2 23

You know what? SEED Destiny and Wing are called many things by MANY people, but they BOTH have this over this piece of FILTH that dares call itself a Gundam show: Nobody ever needed to make the villain have multiple bodies. I mean REALLY. Like, way to leave that open for fan fiction forever after. OH NO THE RIBBONS YOU KILLED WAS JUST ANOTHER COLON!!! THE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL RIBBONS HALLMARK LIVED ON!

Can you imagine what a huge ass waste it would've been if another Master Asia had just STROLLED ON OUT? Or if Rau had just had a spare? Or if as soon as Ghiren was dead another Ghiren Zabi just jumped right out and was like, "NGATCHA!!!"

It's so freaking cheap. Ribbons Hallmark is an androgynous loser, he isn't a Mega Man boss. He doesn't need FOUR FORMS or whatever.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH. And this is just the first five seconds of the episode.

Gundam 00 is a treasure if by treasure I meant nuclear waste that nobody ever wanted.

OH HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO.

How. HOW. HOW DID AEOLIA PREDICT ALIENS 200 YEARS IN THE PAST? Let's not even talk about how ridiculously impossibly complicated his plan was, and how full of things that have NOTHING to do with ANYTHING, and how his plan to "save" humanity involved needlessly slaughtering thousands of them and utterly ruining the state of world affairs. NEVERMIND THAT HE HAS LEFT HUMANITY LESS PREPARED NOW THAN EVER BEFORE BY MANDATING A WAR THAT HAS CONSUMED RESOURCES, LIVES, AND RUINED TERRITORIES.

Just tell me how the fuck some man 200 years ago predicted GODDAMN ALIENS.

What's that? No fucking explanation? Because this show is fucking bullshit and the writers make this shit up as they go and don't remember things from one episode to the next?

Oh, okay then.

TRANSAMTRANSAMTRANSAMTRSANSAMTRANSMATRASNAMATENASRANSAMTREANMS

Articalys

Death Billiards

1)
The purgatory-like setting was easy to see coming a mile away, but I liked the twists in the story.
2)
That conversation between the bartender and the hostess at the end was so directed at the audience.

Solid all around. Yuuichi Nakamura did a great job in the central role.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Chihayafuru 2] 13
Both Chihaya and Megumu really suck as leaders. This match would be a lot more enjoyable if they focused on the other bozos in the Mizusawa team. Also, lots of reused stills of the audience watching the game. Madhouse is starting to look bad in this episode. :/

Defuser

Death Billiards

Background and art are solid all round. This is what Kaiji would be after a change in art style and budget. The endind piss me off though, doesn't tell us anything or the point of it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Gundam 00 S2 23

You know what? SEED Destiny and Wing are called many things by MANY people, but they BOTH have this over this piece of FILTH that dares call itself a Gundam show: Nobody ever needed to make the villain have multiple bodies. I mean REALLY. Like, way to leave that open for fan fiction forever after. OH NO THE RIBBONS YOU KILLED WAS JUST ANOTHER COLON!!! THE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL RIBBONS HALLMARK LIVED ON!

Can you imagine what a huge ass waste it would've been if another Master Asia had just STROLLED ON OUT? Or if Rau had just had a spare? Or if as soon as Ghiren was dead another Ghiren Zabi just jumped right out and was like, "NGATCHA!!!"

It's so freaking cheap. Ribbons Hallmark is an androgynous loser, he isn't a Mega Man boss. He doesn't need FOUR FORMS or whatever.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH. And this is just the first five seconds of the episode.

Gundam 00 is a treasure if by treasure I meant nuclear waste that nobody ever wanted.

OH HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO.

How. HOW. HOW DID AEOLIA PREDICT ALIENS 200 YEARS IN THE PAST? Let's not even talk about how ridiculously impossibly complicated his plan was, and how full of things that have NOTHING to do with ANYTHING, and how his plan to "save" humanity involved needlessly slaughtering thousands of them and utterly ruining the state of world affairs. NEVERMIND THAT HE HAS LEFT HUMANITY LESS PREPARED NOW THAN EVER BEFORE BY MANDATING A WAR THAT HAS CONSUMED RESOURCES, LIVES, AND RUINED TERRITORIES.

Just tell me how the fuck some man 200 years ago predicted GODDAMN ALIENS.

What's that? No fucking explanation? Because this show is fucking bullshit and the writers make this shit up as they go and don't remember things from one episode to the next?

Oh, okay then.

TRANSAMTRANSAMTRANSAMTRSANSAMTRANSMATRASNAMATENASRANSAMTREANMS

Yup, you pretty much summed up 00.

Syrinx

Heartcatch Precure 1

So Tsubomi has moved to a new town, and she doesn't want to be as shy and introverted anymore. But she meets Erika, who's rude as hell but also nice and wants to be Tsubomi's friend and wants her to join the Fashion Club. But Tsubomi doesn't know how to deal with her. Well she better learn how, cause it turns out they live next to each other. And Tsubomi is Cure Blossom. And Erika will be a Precure too.

Glad that this show doesn't have the audio quality of a bootlegged Frank Sinatra record, though that might have been Crunchyroll's fault. Also looks much better too.

What's with the CG ED?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've been meaning to check it out alongside a proper watch of all of The Critic and the Daria DVD's.
Something something Roger Ebert.

Squiggle-vision. Ed Edd n Eddy and Home Movies also use it. All of that looks better than Aku no Hana.
Such hate. lol

---

Samurai Tits
UBoDPcTl.jpg

Yep. Kobayashi is also pretty subdued, or at least they only thing she did was say "moe moe kyun kun" for 2 minutes straight.

DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION Episode 1 – Melancholy Sunday
tumblr_mkqzo4gw0P1rb646lo2_500.gif

Easily the best or to me the most memorable moment of the episode. Started off really good with the fun times with Daichi and Hibiki. I instantly grew attached to Daichi, which was, at times a pretty terrible decision. Almost just stopped the episode even 18 minutes in. I didnt know this series was that dire of sorts and just full of
rampant deaths at every corner, what even Nicaea?!. If Daichi dies, I thinkd I drop this anime straightway, I just cant imagine him gone and he's really good and so far has the best of the demons of sorts, plus Hibiki would no doubt collapse or something if his Daichi dies.

The ED felt kind of lazy though I did like seeing him in it which I hope he shows up sooner rather than later. And the one that says "O sparkling/shining one" must get way more screentime. So good.

Visuals are really good, music could be improved. Its just not as good as other music in anime. The OP song is catchy but I dont think it is something Id see myself wanting to listen to beyond the duration of the episode.

I think the plot, the mystery, combined with character interactions and the demons, are really working well in making me want to actually play the game...3ds version in america, when?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Photo Kano 01:

Out of morbid curiosity, I wanted to see if this was as bad as everyone has said.

It was.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Both Chihaya and Megumu really suck as leaders. This match would be a lot more enjoyable if they focused on the other bozos in the Mizusawa team. Also, lots of reused stills of the audience watching the game. Madhouse is starting to look bad in this episode. :/
Chihaya is not the leader of her team, just the strongest player. Megumu had the role thrust upon her.

majestic prince 1

was too busy talking about SEED and destiny and how awful every character were or were not in irc, so I wasn't really paying attention.

Is it pretty much macross frontier with gundam SEED faces?

cajunator

Banned
Heartcatch Precure 1

So Tsubomi has moved to a new town, and she doesn't want to be as shy and introverted anymore. But she meets Erika, who's rude as hell but also nice and wants to be Tsubomi's friend and wants her to join the Fashion Club. But Tsubomi doesn't know how to deal with her. Well she better learn how, cause it turns out they live next to each other. And Tsubomi is Cure Blossom. And Erika will be a Precure too.

Glad that this show doesn't have the audio quality of a bootlegged Frank Sinatra record, though that might have been Crunchyroll's fault. Also looks much better too.

What's with the CG ED?

Erika isnt rude, she's assertive.
Also Precure was simply ahead of the curve.

Chihaya is not the leader of her team, just the strongest player. Megumu had the role thrust upon her.

Nishida's opponent seems like she's more of the team's Taichi, anyway. She just hasn't really been assertive enough prior to this episode, so the team hasn't really had any leadership or any real direction aside from 'help Megumu'.

Soma

My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected Episode 01

About as boring as I expected. Some -monogatari-esque banter where the lead girl verbally abuses the main character for most of the episode yet is nowhere near as entertaining. I don't really see the hook here as it just feels like some Haganai/Oreshura type thing but really nothing that gives it its own personality. Miiiiiiiiiiight give it another episode but probably not.

Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 01

Ewwwwww nano.RIPE for the ED? How unfortunate.

I think I preferred Saint Onii-san's variation of a fish out of water in modern day Japan scenario. Pretty good episode though I didn't really get as much laughs as I was expecting. The intro battle sequence was pretty awesome however I highly doubt there's gonna be anymore of that happening for the rest of the show. I'll be sticking around for the time being since I think the absurdity of the plot warrants giving this show a chance.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch Precure 1

So Tsubomi has moved to a new town, and she doesn't want to be as shy and introverted anymore. But she meets Erika, who's rude as hell
Erika's not rude, she's just a little in your face!
What's with the CG ED?
All Precure shows starting from Fresh have a CG ed. I think Umakoshi's designs in Heartcatch make the show's endings more palatable.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

The screenshot you used looks pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom