• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Witch Academia TV 20

These two episodes were pointless. The butlers and maids could have protected the family until Diana got back? Then what was the point of all this shit

fuck this show

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 20

Stuff happened? Except not really? Aside from Diana growing to respect Akko? Which she already did? A lame two-parter just for the fifth word.

Line_HTX

The King's Avatar 07

Oh, I was sort of wondering when they were going to have the "Top 5 Gods of the entire game" name drop as if they are the final bosses in this highly competitive eSports profession.

Well, at least one of them has good enough observation to recognize that Lord Grim was actually the "retired" Ye Qiu because of his playstyle. This Mage God doesn't seem like a douchebag like that other overconfident idiot Hateful Sword, who looks like he's still reeling from being baited so hard, LOL

Mucheng is better and looks better than her counterpart Asuna though, heh heh heh.

blurr

Sakura Quest 07

Sakura Quest manages to touch on interesting themes and builds somewhat of an evocative story behind the characters within this arc but overall it doesn't quite hit the spot so to speak. There's a lot going on in the past couple of episodes but a lot of it feels disjointed and less than compelling in the way it's setup. It starts off in an awfully familiar fashion which isn't at least compensated by the characters and their interactions who and which are fine on their own for most of the part. Koharu was a bit hard to identify with this time with the way she played the saint for her friends, it makes sense but it still feels like a lot.

DAceWL1XkAAxLgu.jpg
Koharu on an intensely relateable moment in the first half of the episode.
I guess anime is good sometimes.
How did they do drinking after work scene without an Evangelion reference!

Cornbread78

So in the past week I've finished Kino's Journey, DN Angel, HS DxD, and Silver Spoon.

Not a bad week!

I guess it's time to finish up Chiaka, Casshern Sins, Ai Yori Aoshi and Fantastic Children.

I usually rotate around 10 shows or so, so I don't lose interest, so which of the below should I tackle next?

Tokyo Ravens
Seiken no Blacksmith
Genshiken
Toaru Majutsu no Index II
Blue Gender
Blood+
Chihayafuru
Date A Live II

I'm already replacing DxD with Seven Deadly Sins, but I need to choose 3 more.

petran79

Banned
I'd rather rewatch Blood the Last Vampire 20 times than even glimpse at Blood+. M. Oshiis novel and original manga were also worth.

Ascheroth

ID-0 04-05

That planet was one stubborn stalker, holy hell.
Ido's backstory is intriguing. I'm also liking the group dynamics, soldier girl fits right in, lol.
Not a fan of the little girl's design though.

JulianImp

Kuroko S2 - up to #36
Hey, I guess I actually do enjoy sports anime! The pacing's still great, even though the flashback to the basketball club's beginnings didn't actually show anything I hadn't known already.

zulux21

Genshiken
Toaru Majutsu no Index II
Blood+
Chihayafuru

I'm already replacing DxD with Seven Deadly Sins, but I need to choose 3 more.

Those would be my top picks.
likely in order (I haven't watched index season 2 but season 1 was good, and while I like blood+ it takes a while to get going)

as for why chihayafuru is on the bottom even though it's a better show than blood+ it's because it's a lighter show and I would rather just see your reactions from genshiken first :p

Why did you guys find Episode 20 of Little Witch Academia to be pointless? I believe the whole point of that episode was to bring Akko and Diana's relationship to the front, that was enough for me to be satisfied with the episode. I loved Akko's encouragement to Diana's dream, and it only gets me more excited to see their relationship grow more. :p

Cornbread78

Blue Gender
Blood+
Genshiken
I'd rather rewatch Blood the Last Vampire 20 times than even glimpse at Blood+. M. Oshiis novel and original manga were also worth.
Those would be my top picks.
likely in order (I haven't watched index season 2 but season 1 was good, and while I like blood+ it takes a while to get going)
as for why chihayafuru is on the bottom even though it's a better show than blood+ it's because it's a lighter show and I would rather just see your reactions from genshiken first :p

Hmm, sounds like Genshiken should be one of the first regardless. Will be a nice SoL replacement for Silver Spoon. 3 seasons of it though? Damn!

I'll wait to hear more on the other ones. Blue Gender sounds interesting and the girl that works in the photo dept. keeps harassing me to watch Blood+, but I know nothing about it...

Cornbread78

That someone at your workplace probably loves Saya or Diva.

Well, she was right about Nana, so I have to give her that, but....

One girl wants me to watch Level-E, but that is waaaaay down my list, and this one wants me to watch Blood+.

I tried to watch Vampire Knights, but the Shoujo drama was in full effect after just 4 episodes, so I put it on the backburner.

zulux21

Hmm, sounds like Genshiken should be one of the first regardless. Will be a nice SoL replacement for Silver Spoon. 3 seasons of it though? Damn!

I'll wait to hear more on the other ones. Blue Gender souds interesting and the girl that works in the photo dept. keeps harassing me to watch Blood+, but I know nothing about it...

genshiken is a little odd when it comes to releases.

it should be noted
https://myanimelist.net/anime/240/Genshiken?q=genshi
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1813/Genshiken_OVA
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2508/Genshiken_2

are the adaption of the original manga

while https://myanimelist.net/anime/18465/Genshiken_Nidaime is the adaption of the sequel manga created years after the original ended.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/19159/Genshiken_Nidaime_OVA is just an extra ova related to the sequel.

but wait... that is not all.

the characters are in an anime club, and they watch a fictional anime. an anime that they decided to go ahead and make some episodes for
https://myanimelist.net/anime/669/Kujibiki_Unbalance

but wait... there is still more.
because that fictional anime did alright, they turned it into a full series
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1591/Kujibiki♥Unbalance

note: while the kujibiki ovas are worth watching to laugh at how bad they are, I can't recommend the full series at all.

as for blood+
the first 10 or so episodes are not good. generic edgy with little of real interest going on. basically fails at being interest, cool, or touching in all ways possible. Not horrible but far from good. After that how ever they completely change the main character's situation, and actually start going into lore, and building up characters and threats and what not properly, and the rest of the series is actually a fairly solid watch.

Do keep in mind with blood+ though that there isn't a good cheap legal way I know of to watch it. Sony's release of it was screwed up beyond belief. originally releasing the series disk by disk (4-5 episodes) at $30-$40 each. When they got to the last disk of the first season though, they said.... eh... season sets would work better and decided that instead of releasing the 6th and final disk of the first season, they would just release a season one complete set and make it the only possible way to get the whole first season. They then proceeded to release season two (aka the second half of season one but still another 25 eps) in a season set. The second set still might be avalible for decently cheap (I picked it up for like $10) but the sets originally retailed for like $125, the first set had a smaller run, and last I checked was going for $200-$300.

as far as I know the series isn't streaming anywhere, and hasn't been released in other countries for me to import it. Thus I only have most of it (I have everything but that last disk of the first season :/)

Cornbread78

genshiken is a little odd when it comes to releases.

it should be noted
https://myanimelist.net/anime/240/Genshiken?q=genshi
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1813/Genshiken_OVA
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2508/Genshiken_2

are the adaption of the original manga

while https://myanimelist.net/anime/18465/Genshiken_Nidaime is the adaption of the sequel manga created years after the original ended.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/19159/Genshiken_Nidaime_OVA is just an extra ova related to the sequel.

but wait... that is not all.

the characters are in an anime club, and they watch a fictional anime. an anime that they decided to go ahead and make some episodes for
https://myanimelist.net/anime/669/Kujibiki_Unbalance

but wait... there is still more.
because that fictional anime did alright, they turned it into a full series
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1591/Kujibiki♥Unbalance

note: while the kujibiki ovas are worth watching to laugh at how bad they are, I can't recommend the full series at all.

ummm....

toru-head-scratch.gif

zulux21

for a tldr.

the manga for genshiken ended, and got a sequel called genshiken 2.

the anime was released in multiple seasons, and the second part of the original adaption got called genshiken 2 before the manga existed.

end result, manga and anime genshiken 2 are totally different things.

also I added more to my last post :p

The best show of this season is a Chinese cartoon. I caught a link on youtube, its called Kings Avatar and I am truly surprised at how well it has been produced.

phaze

Nah it's Boruto.

----

Have no means of checking it so take it with a grain of salt and acid but /a/ says Violet Evergarden is a TV show. Airing still in 2017.

Edit: Seems legit ? 4th title in that list..

petran79

Banned
Well, she was right about Nana, so I have to give her that, but....

One girl wants me to watch Level-E, but that is waaaaay down my list, and this one wants me to watch Blood+.

I tried to watch Vampire Knights, but the Shoujo drama was in full effect after just 4 episodes, so I put it on the backburner.

II watched Blood+ through fansubs back when it was aired. Even back then it was regarded as dissapointing for viewers who liked the original movie. Very toned down too. Though those years competition in action anime was more intense. By todays standards it might actually be a good series. Havent watched the more recent CLAMP version though.

Genshiken is worth too, first season at least. I stopped reading Nidaime.

II watched Blood+ through fansubs back when it was aired. Even back then it was regarded as dissapointing for viewers who liked the original movie. Very toned down too. Though those years competition in action anime was more intense. By todays standards it might actually be a good series. Havent watched the more recent CLAMP version though.

Ehhh...

Blood+ OP 3 is spectacular though. Blood-C is kind of fun as well, as a Tsutomu Mizushima gruesome black comedy.

zulux21

Genshiken is worth too, first season at least. I stopped reading Nidaime.

despite animegaf's thoughts.
blood-c is just horrid.
terrible characters, terrible story just terrible attempts at shock moments and not much else. If you enjoy watching people die you might find some enjoyment, but not much other enjoyment is to be found there.

though to be fair that is likely more true to the feel of the original movie because that wasn't very good either >.>

blood+ is the only decent thing to come out of the blood franchise.

and one of three franchise that I know of that turned from terrible movie to a decent tv series (the other two being buffy the vampire slayer and stargate)

We'll never get a 3rd Chihayafuru season, though, right? After a cursory search I've found out that it didn't sell well but gave a huge boost to manga sales, which are still going strong to this day so we're likely shit out of luck ;~;

zulux21

We'll never get a 3rd Chihayafuru season, though, right? After a cursory search I've found out that it didn't sell well but gave a huge boost to manga sales, which are still going strong to this day so we're likely shit out of luck ;~;

not anime at least. (at least it's unlikely sadly)
if I recall right it's one of many shojo series that ended up getting live action adaptions and its been pretty successful with those.

the issue being that a lot of those end up going slower than the anime, and by the time they run for a few seasons only barely get past what the anime covered.

With Morio Asaka and his couple of cohorts at Madhouse presently preparing the new Cardcaptor Sakura anime, and with the distance of time from the second season, it's rather unlikely that we'll be seeing another Chihayafuru anime season. I don't mind, since I found the second season unwatchable, but it's unfortunate for those who really enjoyed the anime.

The Laughing Salesman Episode 8
DAdqd_K0_Ws_AA_Ou0.jpg

Now, let's have you punished, random Japanese businessman.

So Moguro is completely fine with murder apparently. HE CAN BE CRUELER EVERYONE!

Also, finally...

DAdsh_VNXk_AAepp9.jpg

Some canon Waluigi lore.

Manga has been officially licensed in English (Digital Only so far) at least, so you can finish the story.

With Morio Asaka and his couple of cohorts at Madhouse presently preparing the new Cardcaptor Sakura anime, and with the distance of time from the second season, it's rather unlikely that we'll be seeing another Chihayafuru anime season. I don't mind, since I found the second season unwatchable, but it's unfortunate for those who really enjoyed the anime.

Damn, unwatchable? What is it that caused an impression that negative?

Manga has been officially licensed in English (Digital Only so far) at least, so you can finish the story.

Hm yeh, might actually do that if I like the artwork well enough. Don't even know if I've seen a single panel of that manga yet.

Qurupeke

Koe no Katachi was so good. A lot of really strong scenes, outstanding animation and it was generally a great film. KyoAni made something good again.
Kawai was the worst and Ueno was a better character than I expected. Also, surprisingly, Ishida was a pretty good main character.

Damn, unwatchable? What is it that caused an impression that negative?

Hm yeh, might actually do that if I like the artwork well enough. Don't even know if I've seen a single panel of that manga yet.

Kodansha's site includes the first chapter to read free (though their reader doesn't want to work with me so I can' say if it's on my end or something wrong with the reader.) http://kodanshacomics.com/series/chihayafuru/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom