• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

petran79

Banned
The amazing adventure has just begun. Get ready to laugh, cry, get pumped and want yo knock sone fools out, then fall in love.

All in the great journey of Eureka 7

I am in the middle, finishing episode 28 and I feel as if I went back in time 12 years ago when anime quality had reached its apex.

Dont think we'll ever see series like Eureka 7 and Last Exile for a long time. Not even in cinema movies....

That era was the reason I got into anime. No way I'd do the same had I started today

blurr

New Game OVA

It was a hot springs episode with butts.

Mostly highlights the chemistry between all the characters and quite charming while it's at it.

DiGiKerot

I am in the middle, finishing episode 28 and I feel as if I went back in time 12 years ago when anime quality had reached its apex.

Dont think we'll ever see series like Eureka 7 and Last Exile for a long time. Not even in cinema movies....

What about the new Eureka 7 movie series starting this year?

Quasar

Eccentric Family 2.12

Not sure how I'm supposed to take that flashback. That Nidaime was in love with Bentens mother? But Akamada broke that up?

Wait...

DDNb_PSu_Vo_AAIP93.jpg

...isn't that a Monogatari character in the background?

No Kuga is very dissapointing.

Clov

at this moment in time I am expecting the reflection to be pure garbage, but I would love for me to be wrong and for stan lee to actually make a decent japanese show for once lol.

Given the director's fantastic track record, my expectations are pretty high, Stan Lee or not. I've been waiting for this for a long time, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Damn it just hit me how mediocre this season is gonna be, forgot all about that character.

Yeah I've fallen hard off the Shokugeki/FoodWars train thanks to him and this overly repetitive, lack of originality arc. I'm pretty close to just dropping the manga outright to be honest. Which sucks, I loved the series quite a bit when it first aired and I'd been reading the manga after Jump added it to the line up.

JulianImp

There are some interesting perspectives in the film though. One was a Korean-Japanese woman who could "pass" as Japanese, but she had so much anxiety about her Korean half that she could only feel comfortable when dating foreign men because she didn't have to worry if they'd hate her for being part Korean.

Yeah, that kind of stuff is pretty shitty. I've heard from a nikkei friend that she had lots of trouble blending in at first because she is and looks Japanese, but since she grew up in Argentina she wasn't perfectly fluent in speaking Japanese. Therefore, she was often given the stinkeye whenever she wouldn't understand what somebody said at first, because they expected her to be 100% accustomed to the language due to her looks.

Meanwhile, a Spaniard acquaintance of mine told us how much Japanese people would insist on answering him in English even whenever he asked something in perfectly fluent Japanese (because he's been living there for quite a while now). The best part is they often think all foreigners speak English, which isn't the case, so there can be some silly exchanges where you might want to know something, ask about it in Japanese, and then get an answer in English that you can't even parse (fun times!).

I hope Ougi-chan has creepier faces like those theater masks in the new season.

I'm almost done attempting to read the second Owari book, so I can tell you that
she'll certainly be back and that there's a whole arc devoted to her.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 62

Tsubasa is ruthless. What's with idols and bungee jumping? I've seen the two together way too much. Interesting way for Laura to reuse an old song. Nice send-off for Tsubasa. But Elza outplayed them by expecting Laura to get Spice Chord? Can't wait to see what evil plan she has next.

Little Witch Academia 25

An alright finale. Extras remain extras, but Akko and Diana did some cool stuff. Magic being boosted by everyone's hearts is cheesy, but as a Precure fan I'm used to that. Croix sure got off lightly for the things she did. Yay, progress for Flying Akko finally.

Overall, there were some good moments and episodes, but I'd call it decent at best. A lot of the filler episodes had nothing interesting happen, too many characters remained underdeveloped, and some arcs like the political theater weren't compelling. Still, the main characters were likable, the twists were good, and the animation was on point. So a worthy successor to the OVAs.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Resident Evil Vendetta

The plot was bad, it was London has fallen with BOW and recycling some plot from RE6, pacing was terrible, scene with Rebecca was terrible, she should've play a bigger and better part and there's two scenes where someone is holding someone while screaming. I don't know why, but every scene that involve fire and explosion was fucking terrible. The other CG was fine though.

The best part? The hallway scene where Leon is doing his best John Wick impression and Chris body slam and DDT'ing a zombie. Fuck me, that was fucking awesome. I want the next RE or what ever spin-off Capcom create have this kind of close quarter combat. They got pretty close with RE6.

So yeah, only watch it if you want to see dumb action movie. Whoever did the fight choreography deserve a raise because it's way better than the previous RE CG movie.

blurr

March Comes in Like a Lion 20

That was an intense match for a game I don't entirely know how to play. The fact that it is similar to Chess aids in understanding certain situations and terms. It really reminds of my time in the Chess club during my school days. I wasn't very good at it but I liked playing it.

The situation was built up as Shimada's last straw and he might've had an upper hand at it but it still ended on a bitter note. Probably worse than a straight up defeat. Souya himself is disappointed over the fact that he won because he was overestimated.

Keeping in mind there's another season likely this fall, I'm really looking forward to more of this as I reach the end.

zulux21

Damn it just hit me how mediocre this season is gonna be, forgot all about that character.

Yeah I've fallen hard off the Shokugeki/FoodWars train thanks to him and this overly repetitive, lack of originality arc. I'm pretty close to just dropping the manga outright to be honest. Which sucks, I loved the series quite a bit when it first aired and I'd been reading the manga after Jump added it to the line up.

yup.. here's hoping they burn through this garbage as fast as they went through the second season as if it's the first season's pacing it's going to be terrible.

the manga has found it's path again and is decent again but the entire path leading up to the current stuff is just terrible.

to be fair
a redemption arc centered around the worst character in the series was always likely going to be terrible, but I wasn't expecting the worst character in the series to not actually be the worst character in the series... they had to go and top her with her father :/

Sentai license Battle Girl High School. Simulcast will be a HIDIVE exclusive.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...rl-high-school-plans-hidive-simulcast/.118013

you know, by next summer I am fully expecting sentai to have an exclusive series streaming on..
amazon strike
hidive
crunchyroll
hulu
crackle
funimation
youtube (youtube red required)
and for some reason twitch.tv

e_i

Don't be canceling your Anime Strike sub just yet. I looks like Sentai is doing the same thing they did last season, putting shows on two separate digital sites. Made in Abyss is on Anime Strike, where Battle Girl High School is on HIDIVE.

Gulz1992

Did anybody watch the finale for Little Witch Academia ???

Yeah. I really liked it. Despite being a rocky show, the anime's final act came together really strongly and is very satisfying. The ending was nice and upbeat, and it feels like the characters achieved something, which is what I was hoping for.

And with that, I am finally finished with anime for this season. My brief opinions on the three shows I watched would be this:

Attack on Titan (Season 2): Mostly quite good.

Little Witch Academia: Mostly average but sometimes rising above it to have excellent moments.

Berserk (Season 2): Mediocre at best.

Looking at Little Witch Academia, I am inclined to be charitable and say that while there certainly is room for improvement the show is not without talent and high points. I'm hoping for a second season so that we might see what the show is truly capable of.

Dave1988

The series hit a lot of bumps along the way, but I'm happy that they have stuck the landing.

I hope that S2 will start with a time skip, which would hopefully result in us getting to see a more competent Akko. I'd also like S2 to give the supporting cast a bigger presence in the show.

Little Witch Academia TV 25 END

Little Witch Academia is something that Trigger felt like they had to make, but nobody actually had any real desire or motive for it. I really don't feel like it added anything worth adding from the OVA. When its not stretching that OVA's content to the breaking point over 20 episodes with very little changes to the script, its introducing half-baked ideas that either don't go anywhere or are flat out McGuffins so that a story can happen. A lot like Kill la Kill, the best episode was the Sucy one that had nothing to do with the actual plot and was just goofy side adventures. The ending just feels like something I saw 10 years ago in an actual good show with good character buildup and a purpose. And then I saw it again 3 years ago and it wasn't as good as that. They also decided they needed to do Madoka and Dragon Ball Z in there too. I'm sure people will be satisfied because its another gigantic bombastic finale (against an enemy that doesn't even have anything to root against because its just a magic missile) but how many times can they pull the same trick in a less effective manner before it just becomes noise?

Why does Trigger do this to me? Please stick to shorts.

LWA 25 END

Typical bombastic Trigger ending, but considering EVERY SHOW Trigger ever makes ends like this it has completely lost its luster with me.

Gulz1992

I can't get over how utterly inept the finale of Berserk (2017) is. The grand finale, the thing that is supposed to be the highest point of the story, was Isidro fighting some dumbass comic relief characters who had no build-up whatsoever. I'm not saying every story needs to end with an epic battle against the main villain or something connected to them, but it certainly makes it feel like it has a climax. It would be like if Lord of the Rings ended with Mery and Pippin fighting Tom Bombadil. Shameful.

The more I think about Berserk (2016/2017), the more disgusted I am from it's very existence. Say what you want about Trigger, but they put more organic chemistry into the finale of LWA than ANYONE did for the entirety of Berserk (2016/2017). Little Witch Academia at least feels like the people involved wanted to make it. Berserk (2016/2017) feels like it was nothing more than an attempt to ride the coattails of the manga, no aspirations or goals besides the green money man at the end (which in the end, wasn't waiting anyway). I'm not even mad about it being a shit representation of the manga. It pisses me off that this anime - this spurting pile of suck -could somehow masquerade as a professional product. It's an insult to the hardworking people in the industry who actually care about what they're doing.

Wolf's Rain - Completed: I remember briefly checking out this series back when it aired on Adult Swim. It's funny I never watched it to completion back then because I feel like 13-year old me would've loved the themes of the wolves finding their place in the world. Watching it now, I felt the development of the leads was a little too understated for my tastes. That and the whole concept of the wolves deceiving the humans into believe they're human was silly at times based on what they were doing in the episodes.

Jex

[Little Witch Academia] - 25

What a hollow finale.

SPOILERS BELOW

There's no denying that this was a visually spectacular final episode. It assembled all the elements that you'd expected from a Anime finale into a sequence that lasted 24 minutes. You might be able to predict what tropes reared their head in this episode even if you've never seen a single episode of the show:

- All our heroes fuse their power together
- Heroic speeches
- Our heroes run out of power!
- Generic asshole guy wants to stop the heroes from saving the day, but they do anyway
- Regular people see an important event (through a device which is never even explained???) and they lend their power too!
- Itano Circus
- 'Huge Tentacle/Missiles/Phallic Objects' are dodged, then in defiance of gravity, ran on by our characters, even though they also flying through air / space. (Seriously that was cool back in Eurkea 7, but I think maybe we can retire this one? Who am I kidding, if the Itano circus is still around, this isn't going anywhere).
- Space
- People falling, and then being caught
- Two characters shout their attacks/powers in unison
- Bombastic music
- Wave of pretty magic/effects spreads across the planet

I don't think there's necessarily a problem with employing all these tropes in your big action finale if that finale is actually in service of a resolution to a shows themes and characters. Yet this finale is almost completely devoid of any connection to our characters and their struggles (which isn't surprising considering how poorly plotted the series as a whole is). It's pretty crazy how out-of-nowhere the 'big bad' in this show is.

It's basically just a random evil spirit that wants to do a bad thing (where and when this bad thing will occur is never specified, ensuring that there is zero tension throughout this episode). Our heroes group together to stop it. Do they struggle to overcome the bad thing? Not really. Does anyone have to sacrifice anything to achieve their goal? No. Do the characters have to overcome some personal weakness, conquer an inner demon, progress as a person, to defeat the bad thing? No. This finale wasn't about...anything. So why should I care?

Nothing in this entire episode was earned.

My Hero Academia 26

Please give me more!!! Also, Deku, you are so f***ing cool right now. A true hero.

Eromanga-sensei 12

I am definitely, fully, completely.........

one with the trash.

I enjoyed this show entirely too much, but I was uncomfortable the whole time watching it.

Truly, only a person who has forgone all pride would watch it all the way through.

So here I am... Now I can start my rehabilitation with some Eureka Seven, as that has been recommended to me a lot.

Puruzi

Banned
All that and you people still want me to watch LWA.
It's not really an issue that you don't want to watch it but it's silly that you post about how bad something might be because you take some people's opinions here as gospel

Don't watch the show if you think you won't like it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People give middling to negative reviews for LWA:
"I'm really tempted to watch it!"

People give Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R a 100% approval rating:
"Eh"

This is why anime is dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom