• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

And now we go from SukaSuka to... SukaKeda.

aPBqeCd.png

Tonton

Eromanga Sensei 01
This was surprisingly ok? I kinda liked it?

Eromanga Sensei 02 (only the very beginning)
Ok, this is more what I was expecting

--

btw, do crunchyroll guest passes expire? i got a bunch unused ones

Jarmel

Banned
Sure, but the Sugar Sugar Rune OP/EDs were already outsourced to Gainax from Pierrot, who did the animation production for the show as a whole. Plus the previous year Anno had storyboarded and animated for Gunbuster as well as directing and animating for Re:Cutie Honey which was a spinoff from his own Cutie Honey live action film which was produced by Gainax. I think it's safe to say that, whatever the reason, Anno didn't leave Gainax to form Khara until around 2005/6.
I think you mean Diebuster. However I'm surprised there aren't more interviews about all of this considering Anno's stature.

I think you mean Diebuster. However I'm surprised there aren't more interviews about all of this considering Anno's stature.

You are correct; my apologies. If there really was some kind of bad blood between Anno and others at Gainax that pushed him out, I don't think anyone would be eager to go on record about it.

Cornbread78

And now we go from SukaSuka to... SukaKeda.

I'm at a loss for words right now...

For some reason I thought they were calling Zoku-Owari as just Owari 2 but now that I'm actually looking at it I was all wrong and we're not getting the conclusion for years still ...
all part of shafts master plan to make it harder to explain what order you watch monogatari in

Wait up.

You mean, we DO NOT find out what happens after that last scene of Owari S1? Your joking, right? That was a pretty damn big "happening" right there...

Syv

Neo Member
Wait up.

You mean, we DO NOT find out what happens after that last scene of Owari S1? Your joking, right? That was a pretty damn big "happening" right there...

We do get to know, the first arc of this is called
Mayoi Hell
As far as i know Owari is kind of the end and Zuko-Owari is more of an epilogue.

phaze

I'm at a loss for words right now...

Wait up.

I take it you mean Koyomimonogatari.

And no. We are 99% (I mean I didn't read the source material) getting it.

I just thought there is less material to adapt than is the case and that we would finally get to the conclusion with this Summer thing.

Just T

Natsume Yuujinchou Roku: 10-11

Well that situation ended pretty well for Natsume and even got a tidbit of a possible relative. Thought it was one more episode but those last few moments and that nice montage made it clear it was the finale. Overall, it was another pleasant season, maybe they will do another one again.

SukaSuka END

Goddamn those feels. I really love the calming music as things are going crazy. That was so good.

Also, here is the translated LN part that goes with the endign battle of the anime. This gives me even more feels lol. I feel like in the anime they did speak a little too much at that part, and they coulda conveyed what the LN said a bit better, but it still was really well done. Too bad there almost defintiely won't be another season of this, I think I may go read the LNs soon though.

Cornbread78

Mayoi Hell
As far as i know Owari is kind of the end and Zuko-Owari is more of an epilogue.

I take it you mean Koyomimonogatari.

And no. We are 99% (I mean I didn't read the source material) getting it.

I just thought there is less material to adapt than is the case and that we would finally get to the conclusion with this Summer thing.

The timeline is such a mess and all those mixed moments in the timeline in Koyo really screwed things up.

SO we will or will not see what happens right after that final episode of Koyo?

SukaSuka END
Goddamn those feels. I really love the calming music as things are going crazy. That was so good.
roAm3h5.gif

This is cruel..... just cruel....

Clov

It is a pretty nice set, the upgrade from my DVD set is welcomed too because it had a serious case of PAL speed-up, as if the subtitles aren't already hard to read! It is strange how some shows have yet to be released in the US on BD, but at the same time Discotek makes me super jealous. Speaking of BD releases, Australia is getting Tokyo Godfathers on Blu-ray which I am SUPER excited about, Millennium Actress next please!

Oh wow, that's great! I've really been wanting more of Satoshi Kon's work to release on BD over here. Hopefully there's some movement on that in North America eventually.

Popping in to say SukaSuka was the first anime since Clannad After Story to make me cry like a bitch at the end. "Scarborough Fair" definitely did not help.

I was not prepared for the feels from this series.

zulux21

I'd still probably put it in my top 5 anime romances. As with many things, until I came here I didn't really know there was negativity towards it.

I enjoyed karekano but I don't think it makes the top 5 for me...

not when
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuioku-hen (yes this is a romance series :p)
Ouran Koukou Host Club
Skip Beat!
School Rumble (ok this might actually be a stretch for a romance series despite all the romance in it lol)
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Nana
Hachimitsu to Clover
Kodomo no Omocha
Nodame Cantabile
Romeo x Juliet
Lovely★Complex
Ookami to Koushinryou (aka spice and wolf)
Kimi ni Todoke
Cross Game
Sakamichi no Apollon (okay more of a bromance but still)
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Ore Monogatari!!
ReLIFE
Yuri!!! on ICE
Hana yori Dango
Fruits Basket
Tsubasa Chronicle
Paradise Kiss
Marmalade Boy
Maison Ikkoku
Oh! Edo Rocket (okay this is more of a gag than a romance but I like including it when I can because most people haven't watched this great show :p)
Toradora!
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Bakuman (again quite debatable on romance front but it is a main story to the story)
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
exist.

I am sure I am missing some great romance shows from my list as well.
that is also not to say that I consider all of those to be for sure better than karekano but those are the ones I saw that I had rated higher on MAL which while isn't perfect for me, is in general a good indication on how I feel about them compared to karekano. I have a feeling that if karekano got a new adaption with a proper budget that doesn't crap up the ending it would beat out some of those shows, but as it is that ending is just ugh....

again it isn't to say it is a bad show.
it's a good show and I would recommend anyone that enjoys romance anime to watch karekano, just that there are a ton of great romance shows out there lol.

javac

Sure, but the Sugar Sugar Rune OP/EDs were already outsourced to Gainax from Pierrot, who did the animation production for the show as a whole. Plus the previous year Anno had storyboarded and animated for Gunbuster as well as directing and animating for Re:Cutie Honey which was a spinoff from his own Cutie Honey live action film which was produced by Gainax. I think it's safe to say that, whatever the reason, Anno didn't leave Gainax to form Khara until around 2005/6.

Moyoco Anno is the mangaka for Sugar Sugar Rune after all!

Oh wow, that's great! I've really been wanting more of Satoshi Kon's work to release on BD over here. Hopefully there's some movement on that in North America eventually.
I'm crossing my fingers for you guys! If worst comes to worst, as you said a region free player is always an option! :)

Cornbread78

I enjoyed karekano but I don't think it makes the top 5 for me...

not when
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuioku-hen (yes this is a romance series :p)
Ouran Koukou Host Club
Skip Beat!
School Rumble (ok this might actually be a stretch for a romance series despite all the romance in it lol)
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Nana
Hachimitsu to Clover
Kodomo no Omocha
Nodame Cantabile
Romeo x Juliet
Lovely★Complex
Ookami to Koushinryou (aka spice and wolf)
Kimi ni Todoke
Cross Game
Sakamichi no Apollon (okay more of a bromance but still)
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Ore Monogatari!!
ReLIFE
Yuri!!! on ICE
Hana yori Dango
Fruits Basket
Tsubasa Chronicle
Paradise Kiss
Marmalade Boy
Maison Ikkoku
Oh! Edo Rocket (okay this is more of a gag than a romance but I like including it when I can because most people haven't watched this great show :p)
Toradora!
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Bakuman (again quite debatable on romance front but it is a main story to the story)
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
exist.

I am sure I am missing some great romance shows from my list as well.
that is also not to say that I consider all of those to be for sure better than karekano but those are the ones I saw that I had rated higher on MAL which while isn't perfect for me, is in general a good indication on how I feel about them compared to karekano. I have a feeling that if karekano got a new adaption with a proper budget that doesn't crap up the ending it would beat out some of those shows, but as it is that ending is just ugh....

again it isn't to say it is a bad show.
it's a good show and I would recommend anyone that enjoys romance anime to watch karekano, just that there are a ton of great romance shows out there lol.

If I had the time, I would seriously deconstruct that list..... No Clannad; c'mon maaaan, lol

zulux21

If I had the time, I would seriously deconstruct that list..... No Clannad; c'mon maaaan, lol

I said I likely missed some stuff.
Clannad is not something I missed though :p

Clannad after story is though.

there is likely a number of shows on that list you haven't seen but would enjoy though corn lol.

Cornbread78

I said I likely missed some stuff.
Clannad is not something I missed though :p

Clannad after story is though.

there is likely a number of shows on that list you haven't seen but would enjoy though corn lol.

probably, lol. Can you PM me that list? I'll have to scroll through them later...

Erigu

For some reason I thought they were calling Zoku-Owari as just Owari 2 but now that I'm actually looking at it I was all wrong and we're not getting the conclusion for years still ...
Oh, it is the conclusion you're getting this Summer.
Zoku-Owarimonogatari is more of a "bonus round". A bit like Nisemonogatari was to Bakemonogatari (although perhaps with less toothbrushes).

SO we will or will not see what happens right after that final episode of Koyo?
You will.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
School Rumble is absolutely a romantic comedy. It's a fantastic show/manga/second manga to get the ending right that blows the ending three different times in three different ways. Pretty crazy!

zulux21

School Rumble is absolutely a romantic comedy. It's a fantastic show/manga/second manga to get the ending right that blows the ending three different times in three different ways. Pretty crazy!

oh there is no doubt it's a romantic comedy.

but is it actually right to call it a romance :p?

phaze

Mayoi Hell

Oh, it is the conclusion you're getting this Summer.
Zoku-Owarimonogatari is more of a "bonus round". A bit like Nisemonogatari was to Bakemonogatari (although perhaps with with less toothbrushes).

allofmywant4yzq8.gif

The special will be just the first arc, won't it ...

----------

LWA 25 END

Rote

Formulaic

Unnecessary

Despite it all, because of those last ten minutes, a really nice send off for the series. Plotwise this reminded me a lot of the GBF finish. I find it a puzzling decision that they decided to commit more animation resources here and not in #24 but that, along with the scale of things, with Akko/Witches getting worldwide recognition (sucker for moments like these) and a really neat clincher to the whole "Believing heart is your magic" made the ep and made it easy to forgive and forget some of the less palatable writing and characters. I'm a bit confused on the whole Ygdrasil thing though. Didn't Akko save the magic and stuff in the ep before ? So is magic saved cause she found all the dragon balls or because she now
made people believe in magic ?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's really cool! Looks like a really beautiful place, must have been amazing to visit. What's stopping you from watching it, you should go!

Nothing stopping me, just I only read about it for the first time in a paper yesterday.

The person who really wants to see it is my father, as he was actually stationed there for national service (the reason we went there on holiday).

EDIT: Wah. It's only on tomorrow!?

Aiii

So not worth it
Well, fuck everything. Anime is cruel sometimes. The end to SukaSuka was wonderful, loved the soundtrack, amped up the emotions.

Still, fuck it all, everything SukaSucks

Welcome to the NHK Episodes 1-4: What rabbit hole did I just wander into? lol.

I find it funny that this series came out in 2006, I guess predating the explosion of the glorification of Otaku-dom because of lot of it I picked up from these first four episodes played heavily on the cringe comedy. Also kind of amazes me how more recent anime play up being a NEET as some type of funny little quirk where here Satou for lack of better words straight up has Social Retardation.

You forgot the only important thing:

So does that make RWBY an anime now? :p

Jex

Nothing stopping me, just I only read about it for the first time in a paper yesterday.

The person who really wants to see it is my father, as he was actually stationed there for national service (the reason we went there on holiday).

I feel this was pretty poorly promoted. I mean, I live in London and read about anime everyday but I only saw an advert for it in the Tube.

Tonton

Pretty sure it's Netflix.

Netflix got the exclusive rights to it and Kakegurui.

Dammit
Well at least I might be able to watch it, just not as I wanted :/

Is Crunchyroll still getting New Game 2?
What about that Gamers show, do we know who's getting that yet?

Dunno what else might be interesting

I do want to know how that centaur wears their shorts now tbh

--

So, was sukasuka actually good? I ended up never trying it
Seems to be mostly positive from what I'm seeing but i don't think I see it much

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Welcome to the NHK Episodes 1-4: What rabbit hole did I just wander into? lol.

I find it funny that this series came out in 2006, I guess predating the explosion of the glorification of Otaku-dom because of lot of it I picked up from these first four episodes played heavily on the cringe comedy. Also kind of amazes me how more recent anime play up being a NEET as some type of funny little quirk where here Satou for lack of better words straight up has Social Retardation.

The funny thing is that Genshiken came out around the same time and was a somewhat realistic look at being part of a nerd club in college and how you have to grow up...
Then a decade later, Genshiken Nidaime happens and it turns into the Madarame harem show. lol

Watamote is probably the closest thing to a critique of the culture that I've seen in recent years anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really did the NHK anime and manga. It makes me glad that while I was awkward during the worst of my depression at least I could, you know, leave the house and hold down a job.

Hanasaku Iroha 4-7
I'm now totally sold on this show. The last episodes had some great humor (the sexy costumes and the "survival gamers") and character developments.

javac

That's really cool in regards to your father, thanks for sharing! Seems like you both have a connection to the place so hopefully you both get to check it out! Tomorrow is the exclusive preview screenings, it'll be playing in further select cinemas from June 30th but no idea how wide a release that'd be, it's worth checking on the site regardless!

List of showings: http://inthiscornerfilm.co.uk

Tonton

Speaking of Hanasaku Iroha, did it get removed from Crunchyroll? I remember putting it in my queue but i'm not seeing it anymore?
Searching for it showed the page but with no episodes and no message either

With the pace that Vertical Inc is pushing out the Novels...I think we may get a conclusion from that prior to the anime. After a year break between Kizumonogatari Novel (they released this first even though launch order it was after Bake) Bakemonogatari book 1, we have gotten since December 2016 Bakemongatari Vols 1-3 and today Nisemonogatari Vol 1 released with Vol 2 coming in Aug 29th, Neko Black Nov and Neko White Jan. So in a year + 2 month frame they will have released 7 volumes.

The funny thing is that Genshiken came out around the same time and was a somewhat realistic look at being part of a nerd club in college and how you have to grow up...
Then a decade later, Genshiken Nidaime happens and it turns into the Madarame harem show. lol

Watamote is probably the closest thing to a critique of the culture that I've seen in recent years anyway.

I've been meaning to check out Watamote. It's been on my watchlist for a while now so I think I'll watch that next after I finish NHK.

Tonton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom