• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square announces Seiken Densetsu (Mana series) remake for iOS/AND/Vita, ARPG, not-F2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goli

Going by the screenshots/short videos so far it looks like they use the map layouts from the original game verbatim, simply replacing the pixel art with 3D assets.

If they also keep the mechanics and actually improve the music (versus just using samples instead synth with no actual arrangement) I might prefer this "remake" to what was done in Sword of Mana.
yeah, they're keeping things as close to the original as possible while also keeping in mind that the game is now in 3D and such, and according to the interview Ito is on board for new arrangements of the soundtrack.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, as much as I love the idea of a offical release of Seiken Densetsu 3, I know its going to look bland and disappointing
SD3 is one of the best looking games on the Super Famicom, but there is absolutely no way to legally play this in 2015 unless you own the original. No VC releases, nada. I'll take anything I can get at this point, even a mobile release in the West.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno... The chances of this game getting localized seem slim. None of the recent Vita SE games got localized, namely Rise of Mana and Chaos Rings.

Unless of course they port this to the PS4 and set it as a downloadable game.

Goli

I dunno... The chances of this game getting localized seem slim. None of the recent Vita SE games got localized, namely Rise of Mana and Chaos Rings.

Unless of course they port this to the PS4 and set it as a downloadable game.

I actually think the localisation chances for this are pretty high, at least on mobile. Chaos Rings III did get localised at least, even if it came out of nowhere and only on mobile, but it did.

Tizoc

This will likely hit steam in due time though I would much rather it happen sooner rather than later.
Will give it a play on Vita if it gets released on US PSN though.

It reminds me this murder:

It's 2015 and people still complain about this? Maverick Hunter X was a good remake, you want to smooth out those models, play on an emulator.

AmyS

Ugh.

I would much rather play this (if I could) but it was never made.

rvFzuii.jpg

Y3BM1p1.jpg

z7JRxRE.jpg

True Seiken Densetsu historians will know what this is.

Honestly it looks more like something you'd see on 3DS, if you just showed me screenshots and said nothing I'd say 3DS. Seems maybe Sony pushed them to get some of this stuff on Vita too to support the system. A few years ago this sorta game would be mobile only and I'd be complaining about it.

I liked Sword of Mana, its one of those everyone hates it and I have no idea why games lol. *shrugs*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70cr8zJZP3Q - GBA SoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m6J7BVJ0R4 - GB FFA

Really LOVE this track! :D

I'd rather have Rise of Mana than this "remake" SD1. Yup. I went there.

You really don't though.

Rise of Mana lacks content in some major, crippling ways, despite looking pretty ok.

Not to mention the FTP system really doesn't work with the design of the game. It's fun when you start it, but it quickly sinks in how not so good it is.

Gross... I know it might've cost more but would it have killed them to go with at least a HD sprite based or cell shaded art style? This is just ugly.

:(

But Square-Enix gonna Square-Enix, they're the "monkey paw" of publishers.

redcrayon

No, only in North America. In EU it was simply called Mystic Quest. No mention of FF.
I can confirm this, I had the GameBoy cart just titled 'Mystic Quest' in the UK, presumably because it was long before a FF game was ever released here. I also played the remake, 'Sword of Mana' on GBA and much preferred the original.

Just to confuse things further, we also had one of the Saga games titled 'Final Fantasy Legend'.

You really don't though.

Rise of Mana lacks content in some major, crippling ways, despite looking pretty ok.

Not to mention the FTP system really doesn't work with the design of the game. It's fun when you start it, but it quickly sinks in how not so good it is.

:(

Well... there's always Kingdom Hearts Chi.

atbigelow

I actually like the character models. Seem just fine to me.

However, the environments do not look so hot. And zoom the fucking camera out. That's one thing I miss about the 8/16-bit era: your character didn't eat up the whole damn screen. You can see how lacking it is in the comparisons in the trailer with the boss fights: lots of screen scrolling.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I can confirm this, I had the GameBoy cart just titled 'Mystic Quest' in the UK, presumably because it was long before a FF game was ever released here. I also played the remake, 'Sword of Mana' on GBA and much preferred the original.

Just to confuse things further, we also had one of the Saga games titled 'Final Fantasy Legend'.

The first time "Final Fantasy" was used in a game title in Europe was in Final Fantasy VII. Europe didn't even get a SaGa game until SaGa Frontier 2.

Considering we already have a remake of SD with Sword of Mana, will the new remake be more similar to the original game or the first remake? I'm asking because supposedly, Sword of Mana is substantially different from the original game.

wrowa

To be honest, I kinda prefer the look of the original game. Might be nostalgia speaking, but I prefer some nice GB sprites over ugly 3D graphics.

Still, can't complain about ~15€.

Psxphile

Hm. I want to play it.

Sort of. In the West it was renamed Final Fantasy Adventure.

No, only in North America. In EU it was simply called Mystic Quest. No mention of FF.

Heh. If Square-Enix actually localized this I wonder what they would call it? It's almost guaranteed they'll stick to the 'of Mana' naming scheme, since even Japan uses that now for subtitles. 'Sword of Mana' just brings painful memories, though. Is "Quest of Mana" too generic?

To be honest, I kinda prefer the look of the original game. Might be nostalgia speaking, but I prefer some nice GB sprites over ugly 3D graphics.

Still, can't complain about ~15€.

Yeah it looks like a 3ds game in higher resolution. But it still looks interesting. Hope they bring this to the west on vita or ps4.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Considering we already have a remake of SD with Sword of Mana, will the new remake be more similar to the original game or the first remake? I'm asking because supposedly, Sword of Mana is substantially different from the original game.

From what they said this seems to be a very close remake of the original game.

Square like doing a fair bit of this Vita/Mobile stuff, at least more than most publishers I've noticed. Chaos Rings; Rise of Mana; this; Million Arthur etc.

I'm kinda pleased. There's lots of stuff on phones where I think "I'd play that on Vita" that never bothers coming across.

Have to wonder how well it's working for them though.

As for this... not a fan of the aesthetic at all.

Datschge

Heh. If Square-Enix actually localized this I wonder what they would call it? It's almost guaranteed they'll stick to the 'of Mana' naming scheme, since even Japan uses that now for subtitles. 'Sword of Mana' just brings painful memories, though. Is "Quest of Mana" too generic?
Beginnings of Mana, Origin of Mana, Secret of Mana Zero? =P

hiro4

Knowing that they use the first one as the foundation gives me a bit hope this is going to be good.

Still I want that color remake that was just for phones.

mao2

From the interview posted on Dengeki Online.

Producer Oyamada said that if this Seiken Densetsu remake is received well, they want to remake Seiken Densetsu 3 with this game as the base. However, if there are enough requests, they might consider doing a full-blown big budget remake instead, one that matches current gen.
今回の『聖剣伝説』がご好評でしたら、コレをベースに『聖剣伝説3』のリメイクを作りたいですね。
もし、もっと豪華に作りなおしてほしいという要望が多ければ、今の時代にマッチしたものとして作り直すことも考えています。

Looks like Rise of Mana. Good enough.

If it saves them cost to bring back the series (and make a new one), then by all means go ahead.

I'll be supporting it if they localize.

I'll throw my hat in the ring, if this gets localized I'll buy it.

Even if it doesn't get localized, I may still import it if it has a physical version. Love the mans series

Aru

The visuals are okay, it definitely suits the original game even if it looks cheap. I just hope they give bigger budgets to the remakes of SD2 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom